HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hall for Seguin

Old
12-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Pepin le bref

vCash: 500
As a neutral in this I'd take Seguin over Hall. As FanHabtic mentionned, Hall plays a reckless style which leads towards more potential injuries. Seguin is more versatile and more well-rounded. Hall has the ''wow'' factor.

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redden View Post
I think Seguin is a great player and its hard to debate whos better between him ad Hall, but you cant make the argument he is a star center. He has played very little there and there is a huge difference between center in junior and center in the nhl. It is perfectly okay to say he's a great RW but cant say for sure hes a great center yet
You beat me to it...great POST!!!!

I will evaluate on how good of a C he is when I see him playing C in the NHL. Until then, he is a winger in my books.

Oilin Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Kershaw

A coin toss for me.

But who can play center?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:30 AM
svat

people need to remember that health is a skill. hall is just as good of a player than seguin, but if hall's gonna only play 60 games a season then seguin is the clear choice (although not enough time has passed to tell how healthy hall can stay).

svat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:56 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
It's so funny in that Oilerfans will say:

Taylor Hall is better

Boston Bruins fans will say:

Tyler Seguin is better

You really need to have a fan from another team give their input into whom they think is better,because both Oilerfans and Boston Bruins fans are too biased.
This doesn't work either. Most fans don't really watch the Oilers.

You can see this from looking at Hall vs Eberle. Most of HFOil takes Hall, while most of HF takes Eberle. Hall is underrated because didn't get hot early in the season like Seguin and because he missed games due to injury.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:04 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Hall is the engine that keeps the Oilers running. May not be the most skilled, but he's hands down the most important. The Barons/Oilers look lifeless without Hall in the lineup. Not a lot of players have what he has.

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:12 AM
A91

Seguin has rarely played center in the nhl, in fact I think Hall has played more games than him at center, so that's a non-factor. Everyone keeps on bringing up his "almost" ppg average, when they fail to realize hall had a better ppg average last year playing with a messed up shoulder and gagner and hemsky opposed to elite 2-way centerman Bergeron and Marchand. Hall in 2010, Hall now, Hall in the future

A91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:28 AM
duul

I can guarantee you Boston would have taken Hall first overall if they had it, and I would bet they make this trade.

duul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:34 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

I'd take Sequin 8 times out of 5

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:53 AM
PhiladelphiaKessel
DontCrossthe****Line

As a neutral fan , I think i would prefer seguin only cause he's a center. Edmonton already has two elite wingers and with this trade their center depth would be unreal. Boston would also look nice with hall on the wing since they already have great center depth. If any team declines it would be Boston first, not like it would ever happen tho

PhiladelphiaKessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:58 AM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 733
They'd both be good fits in both places, and I think both teams are perfectly happy with who they've got.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:09 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
This doesn't work either. Most fans don't really watch the Oilers.

You can see this from looking at Hall vs Eberle. Most of HFOil takes Hall, while most of HF takes Eberle. Hall is underrated because didn't get hot early in the season like Seguin and because he missed games due to injury.
You sure have a lot of excuses. The "Hall is underrated because didn't get hot early in the season" takes the cake. Hall hasn't been able to stay healthy, that's an actual proven fact based on his only 2 seasons played in the NHL. Maybe in the future he can prove people wrong, but until then it's the truth. Having a player of his caliber only play a partial season makes him less valuable than the player who has equal skill that has shown he can stay healthy. Maybe the Oilers training staff is partially to blame for his injuries and conditioning? Hemsky, Whitney and even the Nuge have all missed significant portions of time with the franchise.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:42 AM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
I can guarantee you Boston would have taken Hall first overall if they had it, and I would bet they make this trade.
Oh you " guarantee " this - do you ???? Unless your real name is Peter Chiarelli then your guarantee means absolutely nothing.

BostonBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:34 AM
nmbr_24

Two great young players, neither is significantly better than the other and neither team is likely to make a swap at this time. Neither is an NHL center right now even though it is possible that it happens in time.

I know these guys will be linked for their entire careers, I just don't get why some people put down whichever one is not their favorite.

I get the feeling that both teams are extremely happy to have them.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:38 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
I think Boston would have taken Hall if they had the first overall but with the way things have gone lately and the time they have invested in molding Seguin into the player they want him to be leads me to believe they don't make this trade today.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:41 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
As much as I love Hall and I'm not going into who's better now or in the future. Just purely from a needs prospective I don't see why either team swaps players.

Boston already has plenty of grit and "North South" power players (Looch, Horts, Caron) on their roster. What they need is that finesse player who can stretch the ice and thinks the game at a high level.

Edmonton on the other hand has plenty of those finesse players (Eberle, RNH, Hemsky) and really lacks the grit, power and leadership that Hall provides.

It would seem that both teams already have what they need and are more than happy with these two players. Both are going to have great careers and I look forward to seeing both of them progress into the elite players they both have the potential to be.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Sterling31
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
As much as I love Hall and I'm not going into who's better now or in the future. Just purely from a needs prospective I don't see why either team swaps players.

Boston already has plenty of grit and "North South" power players (Looch, Horts, Caron) on their roster. What they need is that finesse player who can stretch the ice and thinks the game at a high level.

Edmonton on the other hand has plenty of those finesse players (Eberle, RNH, Hemsky) and really lacks the grit, power and leadership that Hall provides.

It would seem that both teams already have what they need and are more than happy with these two players. Both are going to have great careers and I look forward to seeing both of them progress into the elite players they both have the potential to be.
Solid analysis.

very solid.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:50 AM
BonMorrison
Belie ... Dat.

If Edmonton was ever trying to acquire Seguin, it would be for the sole reason of playing with Taylor Hall.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post

^This.

Not to mention, Boston has Lucic & Marchand at LW. IF they were acquiring a wing, it would IMO be a RW (especially if trading away Seguin in the deal).

Trading Seguin for Hall would leave Boston with:

LW:
Lucic
Hall
Marchand

RW:
Horton (UFA 2013)
Peverly
Thornton

Bad fit

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
How is that a fact? The Oilers have yet to win a cup with Hall and have yet to play a game with Seguin in the lineup. Meanwhile, the Bruins have won a cup with Seguin.
And when they did he was a role player. Look he's a fantastic player and he'll be a star. But I prefer a player with Hall's style of play. He's big and he's fast. Not to mention he plays hard nosed. Sorry I prefer that type of player.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:27 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepin le bref View Post
As a neutral in this I'd take Seguin over Hall. As FanHabtic mentionned, Hall plays a reckless style which leads towards more potential injuries. Seguin is more versatile and more well-rounded. Hall has the ''wow'' factor.
yet hardly any of the games Hall has missed are the result of that reckless style... Or are people thinking he was out of end of last season because of the hit he took? He woulda been back from that in short order but based on where the oilers were in the standings they decided he should get the shoulder done in order to be ready for the start of the new season rather than waiting just to get in a few meaningless games at the end of the season. Other than that it's been the freak things keeping him out... face stepped on, twist and ankle in a fight. Those aren't because of the style he plays. That aspect is getting seriously overblown. Maybe he's injury prone, but thus far it's really not because of the talking point of "skates with his head down etc etc"

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
And when they did he was a role player. Look he's a fantastic player and he'll be a star. But I prefer a player with Hall's style of play. He's big and he's fast. Not to mention he plays hard nosed. Sorry I prefer that type of player.
I'm ok with that logic.

Boston already has Lucic, Horton & kinda sorta Marchand that play that 'net crashing' style. So it's not a major need at the moment.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I'm ok with that logic.

Boston already has Lucic, Horton & kinda sorta Marchand that play that 'net crashing' style. So it's not a major need at the moment.
Exactly. They are both different styles of players. Boston has plenty of sand paper. They need his offensive creativity. Edmonton doesn't have nearly as much grit and Hall provides that along with a high skill level.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:37 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaKessel View Post
As a neutral fan , I think i would prefer seguin only cause he's a center. Edmonton already has two elite wingers and with this trade their center depth would be unreal. Boston would also look nice with hall on the wing since they already have great center depth. If any team declines it would be Boston first, not like it would ever happen tho
Seguin is not a center at the NHL level, so I don't get how this argument makes sense

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

People who question Hall's durability either just look at games played or follow the status quo when discussion comes up.

If you havn't seen it before, take a look at this hit he took:

Now getting up after that, id call him one durable SOB. Personally I don't question his durability, he seems like one of those guys that could take all the abuse in the world and hop right back up. His luck on the other hand...

Also as mentioned above, I dont know why people use the argument that Seguin is a center when making a case for him. As of now, both have played wing. Both are capable of playing C (yes Hall has played C too), but as of now nobody has been center long enough in the NHL to use that as a benefit to them.

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote