HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

EQUIPMENT/BEGINNERS - Buyer's Guide and Advice

Old
11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Agree with jarick. The more people implement that practice, the more of those local shops you use for "fitting" close their doors and boom, no shops to use for fitting.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 03:03 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
This may piss off some of the small business loyalists, but if you have a local hockey equipment dealer, hit it up and try stuff on. See how it feels. If you can find it for cheaper online (I usually use Total Hockey) then go for it. They have a bunch of clearence/discount merchandise if budget is a concern.

Like the person above said, and I totally agree: If you're going to spend a lot on equipment, spend it on skates/helmet. Me personally I'd spend at least $200 on a pair of skates.
Good way to alienate your local businesses. Don't piss off the people who sharpen your skates...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 03:32 PM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I don't like that too much. I'd rather support local businesses so I can drive my impatient ass to the store and buy something. I rarely buy online.

For skates it doesn't even pay because you have to then have someone bake them, stretch/punch them, profile them, and/or sharpen them.
True. I neglected to mention that the dealer in your area will likely bake/sharpen/etc for free with the purchase. Fortunately there's a Total Hockey dealer 2 mins from where I live so I was able to get that done without much hassle (other than that waiting part).

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I love Total Hockey, such a great store. Great deals inside too that aren't on the web, unlike Hockey Giant. So much cleaner. I used to live 5 minutes from the Edina store but now I'm in St Paul and haven't found a good shop yet.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 03:37 PM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Good way to alienate your local businesses. Don't piss off the people who sharpen your skates...
My intention was not to alienate local businesses. I had to get all my equipment all at one time and I went with the frugal route. Not saying the advice-looker is doing the same (though it's possible), but that's just my experience.

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 08:05 PM
TheeNorthStar

Quote:
I love Total Hockey, such a great store. Great deals inside too that aren't on the web, unlike Hockey Giant. So much cleaner. I used to live 5 minutes from the Edina store but now I'm in St Paul and haven't found a good shop yet.
Ive been to TH a number of times (the Edina one too) and ive never encountered these "great deals."

More so the opposite. I usually see their merchandise that has been marked down online, are still at full price in store.

I do love the atmosphere, inventory, and the look of the store though.

TheeNorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoezIt View Post
Ive been to TH a number of times (the Edina one too) and ive never encountered these "great deals."

More so the opposite. I usually see their merchandise that has been marked down online, are still at full price in store.

I do love the atmosphere, inventory, and the look of the store though.
Maybe it's just the intermediate sticks. They had the Sherwood N12 for $110, the Warrior Diablo/Widow for low $100's, Easton Stealth series from last year for under $100 (not the RS)...

Also, I am on their mailing list and get 10% off coupons at least once a month. Same with Hockey Giant, they've been running 20% off the last couple weekends.

Old
12-01-2012, 01:39 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
I'm in the market for some new gloves. My Warrior "Hitman" gloves just have too many holes to continue. I was hoping to spend around 50$ and pick up some good gloves on clearance. Anyone have suggestions? I have used the Warriors and a pair of Easton S7's and they both felt pretty good, just lacked durability.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:16 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
I'm in the market for some new gloves. My Warrior "Hitman" gloves just have too many holes to continue. I was hoping to spend around 50$ and pick up some good gloves on clearance. Anyone have suggestions? I have used the Warriors and a pair of Easton S7's and they both felt pretty good, just lacked durability.
this is a solid bang for the buck if you're ok with navy: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/tps-hock...r8-pro-sr.html

even better when you consider monkey is currently running a 20% off with free shipping deal.
i'd also recommend taking a look at warrior's pro series II and surge(which is on clearance) that are also solid bangs for the buck.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What size and color you looking at?

Old
12-02-2012, 05:49 PM
redbranch

I have a pair of 13 warrior ak27's that are worn out. Im looking to upgrade a bit, but i dont know much about gloves

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:13 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
Quote:
What size and color you looking at?
13inch. Color isn't a huge deal. I'll deal with a strange color if that means I can get a nice deal on some gloves. But, Preferable stick with, black,red,blues,green. Nothing to crazy. But I am open to anything depending on the deal

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I wear 13 gloves and have had the experience that like skates (and shins, I guess), not all 13s fit the same way. Some fingers are wider, some are a little longer and whatnot. Is this a fair impression, or am I just feeling the difference in new 13s and my old broken in ones?

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:33 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
I wear 13 gloves and have had the experience that like skates (and shins, I guess), not all 13s fit the same way. Some fingers are wider, some are a little longer and whatnot. Is this a fair impression, or am I just feeling the difference in new 13s and my old broken in ones?
Yes.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've been very happy with my Warrior gloves. Lots of them on clearance at Total Hockey.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:50 AM
polysaturate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
My intention was not to alienate local businesses. I had to get all my equipment all at one time and I went with the frugal route. Not saying the advice-looker is doing the same (though it's possible), but that's just my experience.
Not ganging up on you...but, most local hockey shops will price match. Sometime's i'll even tell them they can leave $10 or so above the online match, just to show I support tem as a local business. They usually thank me and give me the full price match anyway.

polysaturate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:46 PM
3koma

looking for new elbow

Hi i am looking for new elbow, senier in Medium, play non checking league once a week. I am wearing Bauer XXXX right now and they just slip downward because the upper strap is quite loose even i already velcro them tightest.
Would like to know which one for following model is better deal
Easton RS (not II) US 54.98
Easton 75S II US US 44.99
or any brand good around the above price

THX

Cheung
(Hong Kong)

3koma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:49 AM
AIREAYE

If the strap is your only concern, fold it inwards and stitch it to shorten it. That will allow you to velcro it tighter.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:12 PM
3koma

bauer pro clip visor

Hi
I do have problem with Bauer pro clips visor.I see 2 type of product, one is visor,the other is replacing visor in 2 sets.would like to know replacing visor will can with hardware or not?because i find icewarehouse to mention that they come with hardware,if this true,what is different between those two.thanks

3koma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 09:46 PM
AIREAYE

The actual HDO Pro Clip Visor comes with everything you need to set up the chassis to hold any replacement visors as well as a replacement visor. The replacement sets are just that. Unclip the old visor and clip on the new replacement ones. It's that easy.

Old
12-15-2012, 07:04 AM
BeezyD18

Gonna start skating soon at a outdoor rink (I'm a beginner) and ive skated before and wasn't too bad, just dont remember the feel. What skates do you recommend for a beginner skater to rent, figure or hockey?

BeezyD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd recommend a pair of used skates. Check out the skate thread that's next to this one.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have updated the buyer's guide with some new links and added a table with recommendations rather than a listing.

I will say I am VERY impressed by the new Easton and CCM offerings, at least as far as keeping the new lines very simple, as Reebok already did. They have entry-level, intermediate, and high-end protective gear.

I wish Bauer would strip from three lines of protective down to one or two at the most. They continue to innovate and improve their product but it is very confusing and I'm sure stores would prefer having to stock less.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:36 PM
do0glas

Quote:
I have updated the buyer's guide with some new links and added a table with recommendations rather than a listing.

I will say I am VERY impressed by the new Easton and CCM offerings, at least as far as keeping the new lines very simple, as Reebok already did. They have entry-level, intermediate, and high-end protective gear.

I wish Bauer would strip from three lines of protective down to one or two at the most. They continue to innovate and improve their product but it is very confusing and I'm sure stores would prefer having to stock less.

How do you feel about the ccm u+06 gloves or the warrior burn gloves.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Haven't seen the U+06 but I like Warriors and have two pairs now. From what I see off Google, the Burns look a bit on the cheap end. If you can find a clearance pair of Warriors from Total Hockey, Hockey Monkey, or IW, that's a good bet. Can probably get a formerly > $100 for around $50 nowadays.