HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

86/87 Canadiens roster

Old
12-02-2012, 02:23 PM
missthenet

vCash: 500
86/87 Canadiens roster

I found a program from a game I went to in Edmonton March 7, 1987 between the Oilers and the Canadiens, we had a tough team, a few of the characters as follows:
Craig Ludwig, Rick Green, Chris Chelios, Shayne Corson, John Kordic,Chris Nilan, Claude Lemieux, Mike McPhee, Sergio Momesso and Brian Skrudland. Probably did not lose to many puck battles.

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:27 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
I found a program from a game I went to in Edmonton March 7, 1987 between the Oilers and the Canadiens, we had a tough team, a few of the characters as follows:
Craig Ludwig, Rick Green, Chris Chelios, Shayne Corson, John Kordic,Chris Nilan, Claude Lemieux, Mike McPhee, Sergio Momesso and Brian Skrudland. Probably did not lose to many puck battles.
Ahhhhh, the elegant elbow!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzmhMp5PUM
to say this guy had a mean streak is an understatement!

One of my favorite hab's d-men of all time.
The sight of trent yawney laying on the ice, out cold, convulsing in spasms with blood bubbling from his mouth will never ever be erased.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:44 PM
thom

Another strange oddity the 93 cup had the most french canadians you would think it was decades before

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:17 PM
habomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Another strange oddity the 93 cup had the most french canadians you would think it was decades before
That team was almost entirely Canadian. I think there were maybe two Americans? I can't really think of any Europeans.

Cheers,

habomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habomatic View Post
That team was almost entirely Canadian. I think there were maybe two Americans? I can't really think of any Europeans.

Cheers,
Naslund was our only European and he was a very good one... The best we never had (sorry Saku...).

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:35 AM
VL55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Naslund was our only European and he was a very good one... The best we never had (sorry Saku...).
Naslund was on the 86-87 team, not 93 which is what the poster you quoted was referring to.

Habomatic is still forgetting Petrov as an European (well, Russian) but he hardly played that year so taht is understandable.

As for Europeans in 86, you are forgetting Svoboda.

And if I am forgetting anyone else, I apologize to them in advance!

VL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:06 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL55 View Post
Naslund was on the 86-87 team, not 93 which is what the poster you quoted was referring to.

Habomatic is still forgetting Petrov as an European (well, Russian) but he hardly played that year so taht is understandable.

As for Europeans in 86, you are forgetting Svoboda.

And if I am forgetting anyone else, I apologize to them in advance!
Kjell Dahlin in 86.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:27 AM
missthenet

could you imagine a line today of Corson, Nilan and Kordic or Lemieux? Tim Thomas would be pulling his hair out!

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:04 AM
nilan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
Yeah but in those days pretty much all rosters were loaded with tough characters like that. Nowadays a team with more than a few tough players is the exception to the rule.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Kjell Dahlin in 86.
Yes, I totally forgot Svoboda and Dahlin... Even if Dahlin had a very impressive first season point-wise, he was almost invisible on most nights.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
Yeah but in those days pretty much all rosters were loaded with tough characters like that. Nowadays a team with more than a few tough players is the exception to the rule.
It seems that only Boston is following this tradition. When they won the CUP, at least 10 guys could play very physical and drop the gloves in any games.