HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How about them Caps

Old
12-02-2012, 05:27 PM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTzLaMia View Post
Sounds like Kovalchuk when he came to NJ
I agree. Same scenario with Kovalchuck, he's become a lot better defensively, while still being an offensive threat.

DatsyukianDeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:40 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Well Ovechkin's up to 29p in 22 games. What is a really good sign IMO is that he's averaging 5 shots a game.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:55 AM
LSnow

I coulnd care less if he becomes a "two-way" forward if he goes back to being unstoppable offensive force. Funnily i watched a game from 2009 i think, and it was almost amusing.

Caps were getting owned in the game, Ovechkin was floating and at times just standing still in own zone. Commentators were at the start of the game pumping him up as the best player in the world, but after 1 period of blatant floating they started to gang up on him for floating, saying hes bad team player etc. And suddenly Ovechkin gets the puck, takes 2 strides after the blueline and makes ridiculous shot to top corner, then goes to the bench. Commentator said something along "These russian skill guys are weird in that they can absolutely do nothing in the game while everyone else is hustling, and in split second they win you the game"

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:59 AM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
"These russian skill guys are weird in that they can absolutely do nothing in the game while everyone else is hustling, and in split second they win you the game"
Spot on Evgeni Malkin

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:33 AM
phillyflyer2112*

when's the last time D.C had a chance at any sports title? Nuff said..

phillyflyer2112* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:04 AM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
I coulnd care less if he becomes a "two-way" forward if he goes back to being unstoppable offensive force. Funnily i watched a game from 2009 i think, and it was almost amusing.

Caps were getting owned in the game, Ovechkin was floating and at times just standing still in own zone. Commentators were at the start of the game pumping him up as the best player in the world, but after 1 period of blatant floating they started to gang up on him for floating, saying hes bad team player etc. And suddenly Ovechkin gets the puck, takes 2 strides after the blueline and makes ridiculous shot to top corner, then goes to the bench. Commentator said something along "These russian skill guys are weird in that they can absolutely do nothing in the game while everyone else is hustling, and in split second they win you the game"
The problem is, he probably won't go back to the offensive player he was.... he needs to adapt his game. If he's a great player, he should have no problem doing this.

DatsyukianDeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:28 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
The problem is, he probably won't go back to the offensive player he was.... he needs to adapt his game. If he's a great player, he should have no problem doing this.
Stability, IMO, is required, a coach who sets clear and conscise in game structure for him, his greatest skill is offensive, with an uber talent like that, ya gotta let the guy play to his strength and put in place other pieces to worry about the defensive side of things.

I love 3 zone players, but there is/will always be guys who just can`t play that way and maximize their potential and I think Ovi is one. Boo-Drow confused the guy, one year he was given freedom to do whatever, next year he`s asked to do the opposite, doesn`t and didn`t work. I`ll wager Oates takes any and all restraints off him and let`s him do what he is best at

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflyer2112 View Post
2012 Washington Nationals. Not a baseball fan?

But yeah, DC sports has collectively sucked for a long time.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:29 PM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflyer2112 View Post
Well you forgot about the Washington National's and what they accomplished this year. Yeah, Philly gets all the sports titles

Last edited by spiny norman: 12-03-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: not needed
capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote