HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Late Round (3,4,5,6,7) 2012 Drafted Prospects who were Steals

Old
12-02-2012, 04:33 PM
joe89

vCash: 500
Mikael Vikstrand(7/196) is by far the best late Swedish pick as things stand now roughly 5 months later.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:06 PM

I will almost gaurantee that it is going to be guys who are not mentioned in this thread. To me a guy like Griffith is a great junior player who will be a good scorer in the American Hockey League. We have no idea who will be a steal.

If I had to pick I will go with Hudon, he has the type of game where he can play any role.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Scott Kosmachuk. OHL player of the week last week and scoring at a PPG pace with a healthy dose of fighting majors thrown in there for good measure. Wasn't selected until 3rd round by Winnipeg despite scoring more goals than any other draft prospect not named Yakupov.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:44 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Connor Brown, played on the worst team in the OHL still put up 50pts and will be playing with McDavid.
Good call.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:00 PM
topchowda

Almost 90% of these predications will be wrong.

But since the draft the Oilers late round picks have been doing extremely well.

Laleggia is the top NCAA scoring defenseman and Khaira is putting up outstanding numbers for a freshman (10P, 12 games)

I think MTL cleaned house in this draft lookign at their later picks and how they are doing

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Leehh

Aittokallio looks like a huge steal.

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:09 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Now that we're part ways through the season , I've had a chance to watch some prospects. Travis Brown was a guy on my radar and he's really progressed as the season goes on. He's very athletic and has definite pro potential. He's oftenly overshadowed by Morgan Rielly, whom he shares the ice with in Moose Jaw. He plays a good two-way game and has shown his offensive instincts as of late. He's a good skater with quick feet. He makes a good first pass and posseses a decent wrist shot from the point which usually fools goaltenders or is deflected by screening forwards in the net. Defensively , I'd like to see him use his frame more. Travis has a long reach which helps him knock guys off the puck with the poke check. He tends to push guys to the outside while defending but poke checks the puck away rather than taking the body sometimes where it is due.Overall, Chicago has a real intriguing prospect on their hands. The fact that he was taken with their 5th round pick is icing on the cake. Surely they're happily surprised by his level of play this season. With a few more years of seasoning , Brown could develop into a good #4-#5 guy.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:21 PM
sharks9

It's been said before but Hudon is looking like a huge steal for the Habs.

Drafted in the 5th round, 122nd overall, he has 35 points in 25 games and is looking like a lock for the Canadian WJC team, even though it's a lockout year!

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:05 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
It's been said before but Hudon is looking like a huge steal for the Habs.

Drafted in the 5th round, 122nd overall, he has 35 points in 25 games and is looking like a lock for the Canadian WJC team, even though it's a lockout year!
Personally I've only watched him a few times , but I'm not sold on him. He seems to do almost everything good but not great. Out of about a dozen games I watched him he's either had a multi point night in which he created a couple of goals or he's invisible. Is it just my POV or do other people find he can be streaky/inconsistant too?

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:43 PM
theboss*

Hudon is looking like a steal so is brady vail

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Reinhart

vCash: 50
Round 5 - 124th Overall: Ryan Culkin - Defencemen
Really great numbers in the Q this year (27 GP - 24 Pts. Haven't been able to see him play yet, however.

Round 7 - 186th Overall: Matt Deblouw - Center
Selected for his high hockey-IQ and being a 'jack of all trades', especially adept at defence and faceoffs, and possesses very great skating. 14 GP 4 Goals 11 Pts in his first NCAA season is beyond expectations for him.

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Redden

Colin Smith. His hockey IQ is off the charts and is second in the dub in scoring

Redden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
Mike McKee, Detroit Red Wings, 5th round pick, 140th overall.
Doubt it. He seems like a straight up enforcer. (and one I doubt will ever make the NHL)

The first thing that ran through my head with the McKee pick was that Detroit wanted whatever insurance he might bring for signing Danny DeKeyser.

However, I will say if he does amount to anything his already 230 pound frame will come in handy.

Still, if I had to pick a "steal" for Detroit in that draft, I'd go with Athanasiou.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:03 AM
capitalsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Lots of goalies. Thomas and Vokoun were both 9th round picks, when that was a round that existed. Miller was a 5th round pick in 1999.
Sooo, I suspect at least a couple of the 4th-7th round goalies will end up in the NHL, possibly with good careers as starters.
Kostenko

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:50 AM
FoppaForsberg*

Gaudreau.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:44 AM
Minor Boarding

Jordan Nolan (7th round, 186 overall) selected by LA in 2009 NHL draft has progressed nicely. At the time of the draft, scouts questioned Nolans commitment to hockey (questionable work ethic). Hextall and the development staff did kick this kids butt so he matured and became a regular NHL-er this season/playoffs and played solid numbers for the SC winning Kings team. He has still some decent upside in his game...
A very good selection I would say.

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppaforsberg View Post
gaudreau.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:37 AM
FissionFire

I don't see how listing a guy who has great stats makes them a steal. It's pretty well established that having lots of success in scoring at the CHL level (and to an extent the Euro leagues) does not directly translate to NHL ability. I could list dozens of guys who prove this out.

The steals will be the players who dropped for a reason, and were able to significantly improve their weakness that caused them to drop. Or guys who just plain make huge improvements on skating/skill/size/etc. If you are calling a guy a steal, give me something tangible like that. Case in point from a different draft Teemu Pulkkinen. He dropped because of concerns over health, size, and especially skating. Last season he put up big numbers, but only have minor improvements to his skating. He wasn't really any closer to the NHL despite having great numbers. Meanwhile a guy like Louis-Marc Aubrey from the same draft didn't really post big numbers but make big improvements in the areas that don't show up on the scoresheet (like skating). He's much closer to the NHL and more likely to make it than the highly-touted Fin because his strength and skating made huge improvements.

Stuff like that is what I want to hear. That's what will really tell you who the next Zetterberg or Datsyuk or Benn will be. Not raw scoring numbers. That's why some guy nobody even mentions now because his scoring isn't impressive will probably turn out the biggest steal because he improved things we don't see dramatically. That or you'll get the classic late bloomer kids who finally break out. The power forward types usually are like this and need time to grow into their bodies and skills.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Slick Eller

Tim Bozon is great

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:08 PM
dougiebrown

Here to give Graham Black a little love. 5th round, 135 overall.

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/-
2012-13 SC WHL 28 14 11 25 12 5

dougiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:24 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Kevin Roy is doing well for himself in the NCAA for such a small college freshman.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:55 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
I don't see how listing a guy who has great stats makes them a steal. It's pretty well established that having lots of success in scoring at the CHL level (and to an extent the Euro leagues) does not directly translate to NHL ability. I could list dozens of guys who prove this out.

The steals will be the players who dropped for a reason, and were able to significantly improve their weakness that caused them to drop. Or guys who just plain make huge improvements on skating/skill/size/etc. If you are calling a guy a steal, give me something tangible like that. Case in point from a different draft Teemu Pulkkinen. He dropped because of concerns over health, size, and especially skating. Last season he put up big numbers, but only have minor improvements to his skating. He wasn't really any closer to the NHL despite having great numbers. Meanwhile a guy like Louis-Marc Aubrey from the same draft didn't really post big numbers but make big improvements in the areas that don't show up on the scoresheet (like skating). He's much closer to the NHL and more likely to make it than the highly-touted Fin because his strength and skating made huge improvements.

Stuff like that is what I want to hear. That's what will really tell you who the next Zetterberg or Datsyuk or Benn will be. Not raw scoring numbers. That's why some guy nobody even mentions now because his scoring isn't impressive will probably turn out the biggest steal because he improved things we don't see dramatically. That or you'll get the classic late bloomer kids who finally break out. The power forward types usually are like this and need time to grow into their bodies and skills.
You haven't really taken the point far enough.

Firstly, the thread title is abysmal language. 2012 draft prospects who were steals? So what are they now? Secondly, no one can declare any player from this draft a steal. To even loosely fit whatever that term means, a player will have needed to have played and likely produced at the NHL for a couple of seasons. Just because someone fell, is hyped and has nice looking stats doesn't mean the declaration of a steal is required as a label. They are what they are ; promising young players who may one day be good NHL players.

Of all the illogical implementations of words on this site, steal has to be the one that is the most fundamentally stupid, because the measurement of a "steal" can never be quantified two years after the draft.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova III View Post
Graham Black looked like a first rounder, Gavrus had first round talent but is often injured and everyone else was average i guess
Ummmmm..... I watch Graham Black all the time living in Swift, he definitely has never looked like a 1st rounder. The last guy we had who looked like a 1st rounder at any point was Cody Eakin. Adam Lowry is the closest thing we've had since.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
On the Sens?
Maidens was supposed to be a first rounder, but suffered a bad injury in his draft year that caused him to fall to the third round.
Also Vilkstrand performed very well for Sweden at the Sweden WJC camp this summer.
Mikael Vikstrand have had a great season so far, pointwise at least, havent seen him in action. Good possible be a steal for the senators. It's pretty funny that he seem to be an offensive defenceman is just like Rundblad and E.Karlsson, are the senators going to draft every available offensive D out of sweden from now on?

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:11 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

For the Red Wings, I'll say Andreas Athanasiou
Has the speed and skill to be a star.
Can he put it all together?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote