HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Non-Ski Resort - The Walking Dead Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
Anybody have a song suggestion for a hockey tribute/video? I have a couple, but I'm not sure they'd work out.
depends on what or who the subject is and what you'll be featuring.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
12-02-2012, 06:58 PM
aandbreatheme

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
depends on what or who the subject is and what you'll be featuring.
Just the sport of hockey in general, featuring a handful of teams/players.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
Just the sport of hockey in general, featuring a handful of teams/players.
I always thought "Crazy on You" by Heart would match the ebb and flow of hockey.

If not my fall-back would be "Requiem for a Dream".

Old
12-02-2012, 07:40 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Sitting in a coffeeshop listening to the two students, who are likely older than me, complain about how they can't be expected to work part-time to help pay their rent while they take 3 courses at UVic.

Come talk to me when you take 5 and work 40+ a week.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Treefingers
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
Sitting in a coffeeshop listening to the two students, who are likely older than me, complain about how they can't be expected to work part-time to help pay their rent while they take 3 courses at UVic.

So they can come talk to you when they're insane?

I mean, yeah, people should be able to handle 3 classes and part-time work fairly easily. I always take 5 classes at a time myself, but I don't work, and if I did, I certainly wouldn't work 40+ hours a week.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Spoil:
That was intense.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:16 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Spoil:
That was intense.
Not even going to ask...

12-02-2012, 09:18 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:

Chicken****s, ha. Doing 4 courses at UBC and I'm working ~20 a week with rent, groceries and tuition to pay.

And I still have time left to occasionally rage here on HF and play some NHL 13.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:27 PM
KISSland

Nvm.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Spoil:
That was intense.
Spoil:
Didn't see the Merle betrayal coming at all..although in hindsight it makes sense. I expect there to be some kind of fight to the death or something with only one of the brothers surviving.

I also think the glass incident was simply to make the Governor look more badass(scar in his eye? eyepatch?)

There will be a lot to look forward to next season, that's for sure.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Spoil:
Didn't see the Merle betrayal coming at all..although in hindsight it makes sense. I expect there to be some kind of fight to the death or something with only one of the brothers surviving.

I also think the glass incident was simply to make the Governor look more badass(scar in his eye? eyepatch?)

Spoil:
Actually, I was talking about this 2-pound burrito I had for dinner. But yeah, that episode was pretty good too. Correct me if I'm wrong but Governor has his eye like that in the comics? I should not talk about the comics I don't read them regularly but I do use ****** and see some things and I recall seeing the eye injury before? Maybe it was Evil Malhotra? I got nothing.

The Merle betrayal had to happen, either they let Darryl go and take the chance he comes back and ravages them again or they lock him up like Glenn and Maggie, which I have a feeling Merle wouldn't like too much and the Governor knows Merle can overthrow him which is why he needed to blind-side him while he still could or have him become another problem. Kinda mad Andrea was a delusional *****, wish she could have just trusted Michonne and let her kill the Governor. Though I think she'll start to see the Governor's evil ways next half-season.

I have to say though, I liked Tyreese. I can see his group having a coalition with Rick's and kicking ass.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Spoil:

Spoil:
Merle didn't actually betray the group, he is just the scapegoat. The governor is just trying to cover this up, and it was just fitting that Merle's brother was part of the attack on his group. In no way did Merle betray the group, the governor just needed someone to put it on other than himself.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
Spoil:
Merle didn't actually betray the group, he is just the scapegoat. The governor is just trying to cover this up, and it was just fitting that Merle's brother was part of the attack on his group. In no way did Merle betray the group, the governor just needed someone to put it on other than himself.
Spoil:
So basically everything I said, except with a lot more context?

Old
12-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Spoil:
Spoil:
I know. That's what I meant(i.e. the Governor's betrayal of Merle) Which I didn't see coming, but seems obvious in hindsight.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Jevo

Whenever I go into this thread on sundays, the only thing I see is white boxes all over the place.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Whenever I go into this thread on sundays, the only thing I see is white boxes all over the place.
Do what I did and spare 12 hours of your life catching up on Walking Dead.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:43 AM
KISSland

Quote:

Some people can't do it. Doesn't make em any less or any better than the next guy.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Some people can't do it. Doesn't make em any less or any better than the next guy.
Yup. Personally, as a second-year college student I can't be bothered to do more than 3 courses and work 1 day of the week (I could probably do 2). I just don't have the drive to get a bigger job and still do 3 courses I probably couldn't pull it off. Heck, last semester I scraped by doing 3 courses and no job and only passed two classes.

Though I have to say I have developed a better work ethic during the past year.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:30 AM
Jevo

This discussion reminds me of most of my interactions with Canadians when the subject of taxes arises, and I mention the Danish high Danish tax levels, like 25% sales tax and 60% income tax on income over 67.000 CAD. After the initial shock most people asks "so what do you get for that?". I usually responds something along the lines of, "well, for one I don't have to pay tuition ever, and the government pays about 950 dollars a month just to study." Most peoples reaction, maybe because they are students or recent graduates, are somewhere along the lines of, "I could use that". Seeing people get shocked over the tax numbers, and then trying to wrap their heads around getting paid to study is always mildly amusing.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:02 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
This discussion reminds me of most of my interactions with Canadians when the subject of taxes arises, and I mention the Danish high Danish tax levels, like 25% sales tax and 60% income tax on income over 67.000 CAD. After the initial shock most people asks "so what do you get for that?". I usually responds something along the lines of, "well, for one I don't have to pay tuition ever, and the government pays about 950 dollars a month just to study." Most peoples reaction, maybe because they are students or recent graduates, are somewhere along the lines of, "I could use that". Seeing people get shocked over the tax numbers, and then trying to wrap their heads around getting paid to study is always mildly amusing.
It really is quite a foreign system for us. But in the end it still bites you because you still have to pay that tax after you are done post-secondary right? Which would be for 50 years of paying off 4-6 years of education. So, pretty much like our student loans.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
It really is quite a foreign system for us. But in the end it still bites you because you still have to pay that tax after you are done post-secondary right? Which would be for 50 years of paying off 4-6 years of education. So, pretty much like our student loans.
I wouldn't say it bites you; just a different type of government, I guess. If you don't pay a lot of taxes, then you won't get great benefits, but if you want those benefits, you got to pay the taxes.

I like the idea of free education through university though; allows more opportunities for people who otherwise can't afford post-secondary education.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:14 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I wouldn't say it bites you; just a different type of government, I guess. If you don't pay a lot of taxes, then you won't get great benefits, but if you want those benefits, you got to pay the taxes.

I like the idea of free education through university though; allows more opportunities for people who otherwise can't afford post-secondary education.
Agree.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:14 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Assuming three courses and enough studying time to secure an A in each of them, that's 20 hours per week. Then 5 hours spent on commuting (very high estimate). Let's also exaggerate sleeping time, 9 hours per day so 45 hours.

That leaves a person about... 50 hours of awake time, most likely with no sleeping problems, not worrying about studying at any other time (except midterms/finals) and considering a lengthy commute. Plus the whole weekend.

You're telling me a regular person can't be assed to work even ten hours per week? Even a student taking three quantum physics courses would be able to find some time for a bit of labor.

And mind you, two UVic students at a coffee shop? I don't usually judge people with such little information, I have a feeling their parents out in the mainland who pay their tuition are worried about their future.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:27 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Assuming three courses and enough studying time to secure an A in each of them, that's 20 hours per week. Then 5 hours spent on commuting (very high estimate). Let's also exaggerate sleeping time, 9 hours per day so 45 hours.

That leaves a person about... 50 hours of awake time, most likely with no sleeping problems, not worrying about studying at any other time (except midterms/finals) and considering a lengthy commute. Plus the whole weekend.

You're telling me a regular person can't be assed to work even ten hours per week? Even a student taking three quantum physics courses would be able to find some time for a bit of labor.

And mind you, two UVic students at a coffee shop? I don't usually judge people with such little information, I have a feeling their parents out in the mainland who pay their tuition are worried about their future.
Numbers like these don't apply to everyone. There are always things that you have to take into consideration with each person. I'm not going to judge anyone less/more just because they feel they can't handle 3 classes. Also I'm not making excuses for anyone. Some people are lazy as ****.

Anyways, just my stance. Time to watch Walking Dead.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:28 AM
Jevo

Quote:
In the end, if you are an average earner, it probably ends up being more or less equal. But I don't like to think of it like that. Personally I believe that even kids from poor families should have the same opportunities to get where they want to be in life, as kids from rich families, and if my taxes help pay for that, I'm happy to pay them. I know that tuition is still fairly low in Canada. But in the US tuition can be really high, and many students come out with a lot of debt.

But it's definitely a foreign system, just like the tuition system is foreign to me. And the way I feel about the Danish system is probably in large due to the fact that it's more or less all I know, and for the most part it works well, so there is not a lot controversy about it.

Closed Thread