Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Team Finland @ 2013 World Junior Championships

Old
12-03-2012, 06:03 AM
Tormentor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Also we'll be able to ice a pretty rough n' tumble 4th line.
That's definitely true if Rindell goes with Nykopp-Salminen-Lamberg. Would've been nice to see them together in a NA rink.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
That's definitely true if Rindell goes with Nykopp-Salminen-Lamberg. Would've been nice to see them together in a NA rink.
You guys will be surprised about next years draft. Lamberg and Salminen are drawing so much attention and praise from the same guy that made philly draft Rinaldo(he wanted to draft him on 2nd round). They both look like stereotypical 3rd liners who forces them superstars to wear ballet shoes.

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Hockeycast

vCash: 794
Here is a video i made for Team Finland for the U20s,enjoy.

Hockeycast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:37 PM
The Exiled One

I find it interesting that Ville Järveläinen made the team. I am sure he is deserving, but he was supposed to play NCAA hockey for St. Cloud State until the Huskies asked him to spend an extra season in the USHL. Obviously, he didn't want to do that and went back home to Finland.

Fortunately, St. Cloud State then picked up Kalle Kossila and he has been VERY good this year. Do any of the Finnish fans wish that Kossila had been added to the WJC roster instead of Järveläinen or some other player?

The Exiled One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:09 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exiled One View Post
I find it interesting that Ville Järveläinen made the team. I am sure he is deserving, but he was supposed to play NCAA hockey for St. Cloud State until the Huskies asked him to spend an extra season in the USHL. Obviously, he didn't want to do that and went back home to Finland.

Fortunately, St. Cloud State then picked up Kalle Kossila and he has been VERY good this year. Do any of the Finnish fans wish that Kossila had been added to the WJC roster instead of Järveläinen or some other player?
Järveläinen was bit of a surprise pick, yes, but in the end we can all see what bought him a ticket. Despite his size, he was very good during the U20 games since summer, netting 5+1 in seven games played. Any player who finds a scoring streak like that is hard to overlook. He's also one of the best scorers in Mestis, FIN tier 2.

I can't say much about Kossila (and I predict the same will hold true to most other people here), given how I simply haven't seen him play enough. In fact, I think that presumption could be extended to the Finnish coaching as well. Was he good enough to at least deserve a camp invitation? Judging by the scouting reports I've read, yes, I think so. But I don't think it was going to make much difference in the end.

It was known from the boot that this team would be deep if everyone was healthy. Just look at some of the names that got cut. It was definitely not like, say 2011 when were really hurting for skilled forwards (even more so with Mi.Granlund out with an injury) and actually ended up having a NCAA player, Erik Haula, as the first line C.

Given how Kossila couldn't come across and play in the earlier tournaments, the coaching would have had to see if he was good enough over the camp and the two exhibition games - to vie for a spot in top-six or its fringes which was loaded with hefty candidates as it was. To be honest, I don't think it would have been enough time for the Finnish management to decide whether they should favor him over a more established name.

It is a strange feeling as a Finn, actually debating over players who got cut. Our teams have lately consisted mostly of trusty workhorses who excel via solid and unyielding teamplay rather than pure skill. And yes, if we actually had some of those grinder types such as Nykopp, Salminen, Hännikäinen slotted for the top lines in the absence of better players, then overlooking Kossila might have been more of an offense. But when you've got Teräväinen, Armia, Barkov, Granlund... I don't think most Finn fans following these games will be busy wondering where is this Kossila guy.

Last edited by FiLe: 12-27-2012 at 08:15 PM.
FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:30 AM
JJTT

1st camp roster for u18's. Camp is held in Vierumäki 1-6.4

G:
Ville Husso, HIFK
Kaapo Kähkönen, Blues
Kevin Lankinen, Jokerit
Juuse Saros, HPK

D:
Erik Autio, Blues
Julius Honka, JYP
Mika Ilvonen, Blues
Jimi Kuronen, Lukko
Mikke Levo, Ilves
Alex Lintuniemi, Jokerit
Joonas Lyytinen, KalPa
Aleksi Mäkelä, Ilves
Atte Mäkinen, Tappara
Matias Pulli, TPS

F:
Aleksi Ainali, HIFK
Joose Antonen, JYP
Aleksander Barkov, Tappara
Juuso Ikonen, Blues
Kasperi Kapanen, KalPa
Saku Kinnunen, KalPa
Joel Kiviranta, Jokerit
Artturi Lehkonen, KalPa
Aleksi Mustonen, Jokerit
Niko Ojamäki, Ässät
Kasperi Ojantakanen, Jokerit
Janne Puhakka, Blues
Mikko Rantanen, TPS
Otto Rauhala, Tappara
Aleksi Saarela, Lukko
Jonatan Tanus, Peterborough Petes
Felix Westermarck, Blues
Santeri Vuoti, HPK

Goalies and forwards look great, defence looks bad

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:14 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
Not exactly "bad", but not on level with the other departments. Lintuniemi, Mäkelä and Kuronen are solid prospects and Levo, Mäkinen and Ilvonen should be able to handle it.

It's far from the pick we had with '94s of course, but that class was such an embarassment of riches to begin with, at least what comes to D.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:43 PM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Not exactly "bad", but not on level with the other departments. Lintuniemi, Mäkelä and Kuronen are solid prospects and Levo, Mäkinen and Ilvonen should be able to handle it.

It's far from the pick we had with '94s of course, but that class was such an embarassment of riches to begin with, at least what comes to D.
Yeah i meant compared to last year with pokka määttä ristolainen etc.

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
We are in a wrong thread, but 3rd and 4th lines will probably be fairly bad for Finland, don't expect much offence from them against tougher teams. Saros is a good goalie. Defence is what it is, but at least Lintuniemi has taken big steps lately. He's still a bit shaky in his own end, but overall good development.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:17 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

It's funny. Had we had a roster like that five years ago, we would've been jumping up and down in glee. But after being spoiled with rather steady squads since the class of '91, it doesn't look all that impressive anymore.

I'm not saying we should settle for what we have, of course, since the competition has even better lineups on paper... but I still refuse to call that "bad".