HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft) - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Oan

vCash: 500
Only one goal, how disappointing, MacKinnon and Drouin score at least 2 per game.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Loffer

vCash: 954
barkov is a beast!

Old
12-01-2012, 03:29 PM
heksagon

Game highlights:http://www.iltasanomat.fi/videot/jaa...520710880.html

Nice straightforward rush to the goal by Barkov at the beginning, and at 1 minute mark he onetimes the goal. He is a really good finisher, he doesn't necessarily have a very hard shot but he knows where he wants to put it.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Metalcommand

I really have perhaps even too high hopes for Barkov. I think he will be the next Finnish star. He will not be Selšnne type legendary but perhaps the next best thing to come out of Finnish system. He has all the tools. He is so skilled and unlike most of Finnish prospects he isn't a midget. He might just be the first Finn who actually does something meaningful in the NHL as a teenager.

Of course he could bust just like anyone but I believe in this kid. Forget lacrosse-Granlund. This guy will be number one center in 2018 Olympics for Finland. As someone already said somewhere something like this in HFboars I will repeat it for truth

Better now: Granlund
More proven: Granlund
Better at age of 17: Barkov
Higher upside: Barkov
Less (no) concussions: Barkov

MacKinnon will go first but I really think whoever will pick number 2 should pick this kid over Jones.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:55 AM
thomast

Isn't Barkov the youngest player in the FEL? and already one of the best players and most complete fowards and the league is filled with NHL-players. Barkov has very good chances for being first finn in the NHL as 18 year old.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:29 AM
mikko1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Isn't Barkov the youngest player in the FEL? and already one of the best players and most complete fowards and the league is filled with NHL-players. Barkov has very good chances for being first finn in the NHL as 18 year old.
Aki Berg, Olli Jokinen?

Last edited by mikko1995: 12-02-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old
12-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Hagged

Well first good finnish 18 year old. Jokinen had a 20 point season and wasn't as good of a two-way player he is today.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 1089
Olli Jokinen played 8 games in the NHL during his draft year, and then 30 games with HIFK after returning to Finland. Aki Berg did play 50 games in his draft year, but in both of his first two seasons he played 20~ games in the IHL, becoming an NHL regular only in his third season.

So while it holds true that both of them were playing in the NHL at the age of 18, Barkov could become the first 18 y.o. Finn playing in NHL regularly. At least theoretically.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:30 PM
AngelDuck

If the Ducks got Barkov to replace Selanne and Koivu as the next Finn on our team, I might cry of happiness

Old
12-02-2012, 03:41 PM
MBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
If the Ducks got Barkov to replace Selanne and Koivu as the next Finn on our team, I might cry of happiness
and i would cry tears of sadness.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Peter25

Barkov is an ethnic Russian since both of his parents are ethnic Russians. Same for Leo Komarov.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Barkov is an ethnic Russian since both of his parents are ethnic Russians. Same for Leo Komarov.

Kind of like Galchenyuk.
Well, Galchenyuk is half Russian, half Belarusian but still, would give him some ethnic bonding chemistry with Barkov, right?

Old
12-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Oan

Quote:
Well hello Original Jags, I was wondering when you'd pop in here too. I'm surprised though that you didn't immediately claim how Barkov has succeeded despite all the finnish interference and terrible junior programs, guess it must had slipped your mind this time?

Old
12-03-2012, 02:07 AM
jonlin

Quote:

Aleksandr Barkov Jr. was born in Tampere/Finland Sept. 2 1995. Born and raised in Finland, lived here his whole life - this makes him an ethnic Russian?

He has never lived in Russia nor played for any Russian team at any lvl. He is a Finn with Russian roots IMO.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:02 AM
f1nn

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to f1nn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post

Aleksandr Barkov Jr. was born in Tampere/Finland Sept. 2 1995. Born and raised in Finland, lived here his whole life - this makes him an ethnic Russian?

He has never lived in Russia nor played for any Russian team at any lvl. He is a Finn with Russian roots IMO.
well to be fair he is ETHNICALLY Russian.. But let's not feed the troll.. the best medicine will be watching Barkov putting the puck in the Russian net for years to come

Old
12-03-2012, 05:03 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
I'm surprised though that you didn't immediately claim how Barkov has succeeded despite all the finnish interference and terrible junior programs, guess it must had slipped your mind this time?
I don't think Finnish junior program is terrible. It is definitely better than Canada's.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:04 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post

Do you know the difference between ethnicity and nationality?

Old
12-03-2012, 05:22 AM
jarnov

His home language is Russian and both his parents are 100 % Russians, but he has lived his whole life in Finnish society, gone through Finnish school system etc. and speaks two native languages. I would say that this kind of people have dual ethnicity.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:28 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Do you know the difference between ethnicity and nationality?
I bet he's one of those rednecks whom thinks like this: He was born in Finland! He's part of Finland! Nothing else matters!

Old
12-03-2012, 05:32 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarnov View Post
I would say that this kind of people have dual ethnicity.
He does not have "dual ethnicity". He is 100% ethnic Russian since both of his parents are 100% ethnic Russian.

You may have meant "dual citizenship" instead of "dual ethnicity". That may be possible. His father Alexander senior is a Russian citizen so it is possible that Alexander junior has both Russian and Finnish citizenship.

Leonid Komarov who is an ethnic Russian, born in Estonia and raised in Finland has Finnish and Russian citizenship.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:55 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
I don't think Finnish junior program is terrible. It is definitely better than Canada's.
I have no major problems with Russia or Finland's junior programs, but Canada's junior program has produced many of the players considered to be the best in the world, including all of the members of the last Olympic gold medal team. Even if you want to discount the NHL (most of whose players and a large percentage of whose top players are Canadian) as the undisputed best league in the world, you have to acknowledge the epitome of international success.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:10 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I have no major problems with Russia or Finland's junior programs, but Canada's junior program has produced many of the players considered to be the best in the world, including all of the members of the last Olympic gold medal team. Even if you want to discount the NHL (most of whose players and a large percentage of whose top players are Canadian) as the undisputed best league in the world, you have to acknowledge the epitome of international success.
Canada's junior system may be the best in quantity but not in quality. Canada has about 5,000 hockey rinks and about 700,000 registered hockey players. That is about ten times more than Finland and Russia (Russia has surprisinly miniscule hockey resources for a big country).

I would say that coaching and skill development is better in Russia and Finland than in Canada. Countries with limited hockey resources such as Finland and Russia cannot waste talent because of bad coaching. Canada can because it has so much mass.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:16 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Canada's junior system may be the best in quantity but not in quality. Canada has about 5,000 hockey rinks and about 700,000 registered hockey players. That is about ten times more than Finland and Russia (Russia has surprisinly miniscule hockey resources for a big country).

I would say that coaching and skill development is better in Russia and Finland than in Canada. Countries with limited hockey resources such as Finland and Russia cannot waste talent because of bad coaching. Canada can because it has so much mass.
Finnish and Russian leagues may be more efficient (not conceding they are, because I believe the average level of play in both the KHL and sm-liga to be fairly beneath the NHL), but didn't I just make an argument for Canada have both quantity and quality?

Old
12-03-2012, 06:19 AM
jonlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarnov View Post
His home language is Russian and both his parents are 100 % Russians, but he has lived his whole life in Finnish society, gone through Finnish school system etc. and speaks two native languages. I would say that this kind of people have dual ethnicity.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Bullcrap. The actual number of hockey players in Russia is much higher, at least triple the number of registered. They only count first team players as registered players nor do they count "beer league" players as registered like in other countries. A poster at jatkoaika.com that lives in Russia(St. Petersburg or Moscow) said the club he played for in the juniors had at least 1300 juniors in the system but only 20 were listed as registered.

But this is very off topic and as usual you once again managed to derail the conversation to include your beloved Russia's "hockey prowess", please go start another thread about it elsewhere. This thread is about Aleksander Barkov Jr, not Russia vs Canada/any other country.

Last edited by Jussi: 12-03-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Corrected stats.
Closed Thread