HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where do you see the Sens in 5 years?

Old
12-03-2012, 02:00 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 500
Where do you see the Sens in 5 years?

I stole this from the Oilers, but thought it was a good idea, and gives us something to talk about in the lockout.

1) Where do you see the Sens in 5 years?

2) What do you think the will the roster be in 5 years?

Me

1) One of the elite teams in the league, with the main competition being Edmonton and St Louis

2)

*=last contract

Silfverberg-Spezza-Stone
Zibanejad-Turris-Michalek
Greening-Smith-Noesen
Puempel-Pageau-Neil*

Hmm, If Zib plays at wing I don't see us having any big holes really, kinda surprises me. However that is reliant on Noesen, Puempel and Pageau all making the team. Regardless it is only 3 players all in the projected bottom 6, that aren't looking like sure things, we would be relying on developing her

Cowen-Karlsson
UFA/Trade/Draft-Ceci
UFA/Trade/Draft/Weir-Phillips*

I'm uncertain whether or not Weir can make the jump to the NHL. Regardless we would have to bring in some new guys, but that isn't terrible if we manage our cap well.

Lehner
Bishop

Not much to debate here

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:33 AM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
1) Solid playoff team. Not a favourite to win

2)
Silfverberg - Spezza Harry Dinglebauld - Michalek
Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Greening - Smith - Zibanejad
Dziurzynski - Grant - Kramer
Neil

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Wikstrand
Borowiecki - Phillips Ceci hope your happy RKL :p

Lehner
Bishop

Edit: Forgot about our 2015 First rounder. Dont know what i was thinking.

Last edited by Benny FTW: 12-03-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:45 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Near the top of the league for sure. We have all the assets, prospects and core players at hand to be a powerhouse for years to come.

With that being said, the potential look of the roster can not be spoken of at all cause of 2 things:

1) Plethora of prospects coming up and we don't know who will be the one to pan out who won't, who will be traded etc...

2) Cap space and key players nearing UFA status soon.

In 5 years I expect these to be near certainties:

Silfverberg-Spezza-______
______-Turris-______
______-Smith-_____
______-_____-______

I really like Michalek but in 5 years he'll be 32 and I don't know if he'll still be on the team by then.

The top 3 winger positions can be filled up by: Noesen/Puempel/Stone/Zibanejad/Huge UFA acquisition/trade.

I'm confident we'll land a high-end young forward that's around the mold of Perry/Ryan. So hypothetically filling up the spots the roster would look something like this:

Silfverberg-Spezza-Perry
Zibanejad-Turris-Noesen/Stone/Michalek
Greening-Smith-xxxxx/Noesen
xxxxx-Grant-Kramer

I'm very high on Noesen, I think he has the skill, competitiveness, grit and ethic to be a solid top 6er.

Our defense is actually more stable in figuring out who can be there in the next 5 years as we have our top 4 already in the system, imo.

Cowen-Karlsson
Ceci-Methot
Wiercioch-Wikstrand?Boro?

Lehner
Brassard

I honestly think that in 5 years, Bishop will have proven to be a strong starter and drawn interest from other teams that would give up a good deal for him and we'd give him the starting job he couldn't get here. Brassard or one of our goaltending prospects would have been ready to make the leap or a UFA signing. Good back-ups are dime a dozen.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:49 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post

2)
Silfverberg - Spezza - Michalek
Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Neil

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Wikstrand
Borowiecki - Phillips

Lehner
Bishop
I'll be willing to bet my left nut Phillips isn't here in 5 years. Where's Ceci? Hoffman that high?

Old
12-03-2012, 03:00 AM
Hale The Villain

Depends on Lehner. If he develops into an elite NHL starter, we'll be a playoff team for many years. He looks like he will be this teams future #1, doubt Bishop is able to outplay him, and I doubt Anderson will be able to stop him from taking the reigns. Doubt either are here in 5 seasons.

Cowen - Karlsson could be one of the best pairings in the league by then. If Ceci develops into a top 4 dman, and we can sign a veteran who is an asset in the top 4, then we'll be set up nicely on defense. I'm expecting any combination of Wiercioch/Borowiecki/Methot/signed or traded for dman to make up our bottom two. Wikstrand, Sdao, Claesson and Aneloski could possibly surprise.

At forward we'll still have Spezza, Turris, Smith as our top 3 centers. Hopefully Michalek is still playing for us at the top of his game. Silfverberg and Stone end up as top 6 wingers. Zibanejad is the wild card, could end up as our 3rd line center in a Jordan Staal role, or he could turn into a top 6 scoring threat aka Michalek. I think he'll be an asset for the team whatever position we place him in. Prince, Puempel, Noesen, Hoffman and Pageau are longshots to upset Stone, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, but a number of them could fit in well in a 3rd line role, or potentially give us a 3 line scoring team.

My guess for a lineup? (probably going to look at this and laugh one day)

Zibanejad - Spezza - Michalek
Silfverberg - Turris - Stone
Prince - Smith - Noesen
Maidens - Grant - Kramer

Cowen - Karlsson
XXXXX - Ceci
Wiercioch - Borowiecki

Lehner
XXXXX

Probably being optimistic, but the future does look bright.

Will be fun to look back at this in 5 years and

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:02 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Hopefully a contender

I'll leave it at that for now!

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:16 AM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I'll be willing to bet my left nut Phillips isn't here in 5 years. Where's Ceci? Hoffman that high?
Your probably right about Phillips. Forgot hes like 34 now.

As for Ceci and Hoffman its because I tried for something different instead of the "every top prospect developed perfectly" line up.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:58 AM
18Hossa

I see us as an elite/very good contender.

Someone bookmark this page so we can look at it in 5 years.

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

1. I'd say 4th in the conference. A decent team but won't make the conference final.

2. As for the roster...ugh. Five years is a long time.

Will Spezza's back hold out? Not sure. Seeing the game get younger, faster, and more physical, I doubt it. If he is still here, he probably won't be all that effective as a true #1 center in that time. Not at age 34.

I kinda have the feeling Karlsson will be shipped out by them for financial reasons. (Yeah, I'll take massive heat for that, but he'll command huge money in his next deal - if things go well for him - and I don't think the team can afford that unless we're the cup favs, which we won't be, as our prospect stable isn't that great and future progress will keep us out of elite pick range.)

Lehner should be in net for us by then. A true #1? Maybe. He'll be a 50-game starter.

Ceci will probably be the next Phillips. Solid all around but no spectacular anywhere. Good anchor, good character.

Don't see Stone or Noesen making the full time jump to the NHL.

Zibanejad will be a solid 15 goal scorer on the 2nd or 3rd line. Provides jam and relentless work ethic.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post

2)
Silfverberg - Spezza - Michalek
Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Neil

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Wikstrand
Borowiecki - Phillips Ceci hope your happy RKL :p

Lehner
Bishop
No Free Agents over the next five years? No trades? All of our first round picks over the next five years fail to crack the roster?

Looks way to similar to our current roster in my opinion.
Here's what our team looked like five years ago.

Heatley - Spezza -Alfie
Schaefer - Fish - Vermette
Eaves - Kelly - McAmmond
Gratts - Comrie - Neil

Phillips - Redden
Meszaros - Anton
Corvo - Presing
Schubert

Gerber
Emery

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:33 AM
MoreGore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
1. I'd say 4th in the conference. A decent team but won't make the conference final.

Will Spezza's back hold out? Not sure. Seeing the game get younger, faster, and more physical, I doubt it. If he is still here, he probably won't be all that effective as a true #1 center in that time. Not at age 34.

I kinda have the feeling Karlsson will be shipped out by them for financial reasons. (Yeah, I'll take massive heat for that, but he'll command huge money in his next deal - if things go well for him - and I don't think the team can afford that unless we're the cup favs, which we won't be, as our prospect stable isn't that great and future progress will keep us out of elite pick range.)

Lehner should be in net for us by then. A true #1? Maybe. He'll be a 50-game starter.

Ceci will probably be the next Phillips. Solid all around but no spectacular anywhere. Good anchor, good character.

Zibanejad will be a solid 15 goal scorer on the 2nd or 3rd line. Provides jam and relentless work ethic.
Kind of a downer projection. But oddly with out much talent you still have the Sens finishing 4th.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Minister of Offence

In all probability, ScotiaBank Place.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:59 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

We'll constantly squeeze in to the playoffs. 7th/8th seed

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Melnyks Mirage
Too cheap to succeed

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
No Free Agents over the next five years? No trades? All of our first round picks over the next five years fail to crack the roster?

Heatley - Spezza -Alfie
Eaves - Kelly - McAmmond
Gratts - Comrie - Neil

Phillips - Redden
Meszaros - Anton
Corvo - Presing
Schubert

Gerber
Emery
^^ This.

The key to these roster predictions is whether Bryan Murray or his puppet/mouthpiece Tim will be the GM. If either of them are here (And Melnyk loves them so no reason to think otherwise) then you can count on their draftees to graduate and the team will slowly return to contention. If the team collapses again when hockey returns, I can see a new GM coming in with a new vision and some of these kids traded. At some point the new team will have to succeed in the playoffs and replacing Alfie, Phillips et al. will be a part of that.
As for Spezza...he's really a wild card. I can see him signing long-term if he gets the "C", but if they should decide to give the "C" to Karlsson or Silfverberg or...if the team is medicore it might wear on him and he might want to sign elsewhere.

I'll just say the team should be 4-6 consistently, occasionally pushing for first in the East.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
^^ This.

The key to these roster predictions is whether Bryan Murray or his puppet/mouthpiece Tim will be the GM.
Lost me already. You think Tim's a puppet? I think he's working with a lot of autonomy in the org.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:27 AM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
In all probability, ScotiaBank Place.
Pfff that's just crazy.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Xspyrit

KHL or Quebec

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Legend Killer

Probably will have a very good team but there will be another lockout...

People will still moan about picking Lee over Kopitar, Getting rid of Chara over Redden, and I will still be upset about Foligno being traded.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:07 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post

You do realize we are talking about 5 YEARS from now. Stone will be 25. Noesen will be 24. If those guys aren't in the NHL or sniffing the NHL by then they're probably busts.

Lehner is already looking like a capable NHL starter NOW and you don't think he'd be a true #1 in 5 years? If he isn't then I'm afraid Lehner didn't pan out. I expect Lehner to take the reigns fully in 2-3 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he is already getting a boatload of games next year if he continues his AHL tear.

Karlsson signed a 7 year deal. He is our franchise defender. You don't trade away franchise defenders, no matter what the financial reasons.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:15 PM
topshelf15

Still celebrating the cup we won in year 4

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post

Karlsson signed a 7 year deal. He is our franchise defender. You don't trade away franchise defenders, no matter what the financial reasons.
Just like Nashville and Shea Weber. Clearly hard for them to afford that deal but they kept him anyways.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post

Heatley - Spezza -Alfie
Eaves - Kelly - McAmmond
Gratts - Comrie - Neil

Phillips - Redden
Meszaros - Anton
Corvo - Presing
Schubert

Gerber
Emery
Nope, we build from within and obviously none of these are gonna be accurate anyways. Are you gonna complain to someone who tried to predict our current roster 5 years ago because they didn't have Gonchar or Zibanejad on it?

Old
12-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Margaret Trudeau*

Portlandia

Margaret Trudeau* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Locked out?

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I'd say we end up as one of those Conference Semi-Finalists AT least for the next few years...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote