HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kovalchuk most underated player in NHL?

Old
12-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Atas2000

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTzLaMia View Post
Really Datsyuk over Malkin how overrated has he become
That's not overrated, just true.

Atas2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:18 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoud View Post
Ovechkin still managed to put up 38 goals despite having the worst year of his career and i don't think Datsyuk has scored over 30 in one season... not that goals are everything but with the exception of stick-handling and passing, Ovechkin has the upper hand on him in everything else
Ovechkin has the edge in exactly two things: goal scoring and physicality. Datsyuk is better than Ovechkin at almost everything else, quite obviously really... Datsyuk outscored Ovechkin last season in 8 less games....

And you're wrong about Datsyuk scoring 30, he's done it 3 times and has gotten at least 27 3 other times

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Fire Dumboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
So Datsyuk is better than arguably the #1 player in the world and the Hart winner. What is wrong with people is Datsyuk becoming the most overrated of all-time?

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Sky04

Quote:
lol that's funny, cause the only thing overrated is Datsyuk's defense.

Guy needs to stay healthy and actually put up some points, his rep isn't going to carry him another year. It's been 3 years since Datsyuk has had an elite season, while Malkin is far and away better at this point.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralous View Post
Yet, Elias has always been the better overall player. Kovy is certainly getting better in the other two zones and at this point going forward I would take Kovy but it's criminal how underrated Elias has always been.

Kovy is quickly becoming one of my favorites but the OP is going overboard.
There's a point where offensive production outweighs the impact of an overall player

Old
12-02-2012, 09:39 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
I get your point, but I view Datsyuk as one of the best players in the world. His skill is about as high as Malkins. He does not score as many points, even though I think if he wanted to be more selfish he could. But what makes me think hes better then Malkin is his complete game, IQ and intangables, one of the best players I have ever watched. I think its hard to justify Datsyuk as a better player but I just personally view him as better.
This is where the absurd HFBoards logic comes into play. He has as much skill as Malkin? Based on what evidence? Some nice dangles? And he could score as many points if he wanted to, but he doesn't? That's just silly. It's nothing to do with being "selfish" and skill means nothing if it doesn't translate into points. Offensive production is priority #1 for top six forwards. His defensive game is nice, but it's a secondary skill-set for a player in his position. It's like saying that Goalie A(with a .910 save %) is better than Goalie B(with a .930 save %) because he plays the puck better. That's a nice skill, but you'd still rather have the guy that stops pucks at a higher rate.

I mean I'm not trying to come down on Datsyuk here because he's actually one of my favorite players in the league. But reality is reality. People need to come back down to earth with the whole "well rounded!" argument.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:41 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I laughed at he's very good defensively and literally stopped when I read he can handle the puck better than Datsyuk.
This was my reaction as well.

Kovalchuk is hardly underrated.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:01 PM
od71

It's fun to watch how this thread is smoothly developing: from Kovy to who's better Malkin or Dats.

As for the latter I assume, right now Malkin is the best in the world. It's arguable who's better in stick-dangling, vision, game reading... But the reason is simple: no one player has played more tangible role for his team like Malkin last season. Nobody argues about that. Another argument: Malkin has led his team to the Stanley cup in 2009. He is a Hart and Conn-Smythe winner for reason.

Last edited by od71: 12-02-2012 at 10:51 PM.
od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
lol that's funny, cause the only thing overrated is Datsyuk's defense.

Guy needs to stay healthy and actually put up some points, his rep isn't going to carry him another year. It's been 3 years since Datsyuk has had an elite season, while Malkin is far and away better at this point.

Atas2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:30 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Kovy is not underrated. He's overshadowed by crosby and malkin amd a few others, but everyone knows how good he is.

In regards to ovi and datsyuk: Datsyuk is a playmaker and ovechkin is a goal scorer. Both are incredible danglers. Datsyuk is better than ovechkin in stick handling, passing, playmaking, defense. Ovechkin is a greater goal scorer, and is currently the more "elite" player. You can't really compare them and say that one is flat out better than the other when they're different players. Datsyuk is a better player in terms of overall game (play making, vision, defensively responsible...). He's the best two way player in the league. Ovechkin has the goal scoring ability that is hands down better than pavel. He is a better offensive player.

LeafsMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:37 PM
jgoud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
Ovechkin has the edge in exactly two things: goal scoring and physicality. Datsyuk is better than Ovechkin at almost everything else, quite obviously really... Datsyuk outscored Ovechkin last season in 8 less games....

And you're wrong about Datsyuk scoring 30, he's done it 3 times and has gotten at least 27 3 other times
Okay please explain where exactly Datsyuk has the edge on Ovechkin? AO is the better skater, you could maybe say defensively but it would be by a hair. Datsyuk had more points in 8 less games but Ovechkin scored twice as many goals as him that season. O my bad, i was off by two goals, he's scored at most 32 in a single season.

You will find a rare amount of detroit fans not willing to trade Datsyuk straight up for Ovechkin

Last edited by jgoud*: 12-02-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling
jgoud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:07 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I don't think he handles the puck better than Datsyuk but I agree with most of the rest of the OPs post. I just don't think he's underrated. I think his defensive game has progressed to the point that IT is quite a bit underrated and that people don't give him enough credit for how far he has come as a mature and complete player. Overall though, I think he is held in too high of an esteem to possibly be underrated. I think it's a classic case of a player being great and people calling him overrated and trying to point out negatives to the point that some people start to feel they're underrated. It's the vicious HF cycle. But I do think he is phenomenal and probably a top 5-10 player in the world. I think most people give him his due but that the recent completeness of his game hasn't been widely acknowledged yet. He is certainly one of my favorite players to watch (despite playing for NJ) and he seems humble and a good leader as well.

Last edited by SERE 24: 12-03-2012 at 09:25 AM.
SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:10 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Okay please explain where exactly Datsyuk has the edge on Ovechkin? AO is the better skater, you could maybe say defensively but it would be by a hair. Datsyuk had more points in 8 less games but Ovechkin scored twice as many goals as him that season. O my bad, i was off by two goals, he's scored at most 32 in a single season.

You will find a rare amount of detroit fans not willing to trade Datsyuk straight up for Ovechkin
WHAT?!!!!! Datsyuk is better everywhere except for shot and physicality. Unquestionable.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:25 AM
Sky04

Quote:
glad you agree.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:59 AM
GeeoffBrown

I don't see how Kovalchuk is underrated. He is a superstar player and is considered as such by everyone.

GeeoffBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:02 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:

Are you serious? First, Ovechkin is a winger and a poor defensive winger. It takes work to be a poor defensive winger. Second Datsyuk is one of the best defensive centers in the NHL. Datsyuk is pretty clear number 1 in terms of Russian players. I suppose Malkins dominance against weak competition is too strong to fall any more than 2nd.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:51 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Are you serious? First, Ovechkin is a winger and a poor defensive winger. It takes work to be a poor defensive winger. Second Datsyuk is one of the best defensive centers in the NHL. Datsyuk is pretty clear number 1 in terms of Russian players. I suppose Malkins dominance against weak competition is too strong to fall any more than 2nd.
Weak comp? Malkin is easily better offensively AINEC, Malkin raises the level of his line mates considerably, Datsyuk? not so much.

Malkin can turn it up in the playoffs considerably, Datysuk? once again not so much.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:57 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Weak comp? Malkin is easily better offensively AINEC, Malkin raises the level of his line mates considerably, Datsyuk? not so much.

Malkin can turn it up in the playoffs considerably, Datysuk? once again not so much.
Malkin gets soft minutes, Datsyuk goes out against top competition.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:56 AM
TAnnala

Quote:
What never fails to amaze me, is that only handful of people realize this. How come the rest of us are so blind that we can't see the obvious dominance by Datsuyk?

This is getting laughable. I bet there is 0 GM's in the world who would take Datsuyk before Malkin. Not now, not in the past and not in the future. You are free to believe whatever you want but, luckily majority of people don't share your and few others views.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Malkin gets soft minutes, Datsyuk goes out against top competition.
so does toews, toews>datsyuk?

Old
12-03-2012, 09:38 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Kovalchuk plays a better defensive game than most give him credit for. That said he's far from under-rated.

12-03-2012, 09:58 AM
InjuredChoker

I'm starting to agree with Saku in a sense that people are picking Datsyuk over Malkin.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:56 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

I stopped reading the OP at "better hands than Datsyuk". There's no one in this league that has hands better than Datsyuk.

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:51 AM
DanZ

Quote:

You said Datsyuk never scored 30 goals, which was completely wrong.

Ovechkin is a faster and more explosive skater, but I'd say that Datsyuk is actually a better skater. He's not as fast as Ovechkin, but he has far more mobility and better technical ability in my opinion. His skating ability is part of the reason he is so easily able to fake out players all the time. It's not just the stickhandling. Datsyuk blows Ovechkin away defensively by the way, not just "by a hair." That's absolutely ridiculous. Datsyuk is a better playmaker, better 2-way player, better stickhandler, a smarter player, and always gives 100% effort. You'll never see Datsyuk gliding around the blueline with one hand on his stick in the defensive end or passively skate back into the zone on a backcheck. Datsyuk is the best player in the NHL without the puck, and again, he outscored Ovechkin last season in 8 less games. Datsyuk has been clearly better than Ovechkin for at least 2 years now

Noone in their right mind, as a Wings fan, would trade Datsyuk for Ovechkin and that god-awful contract.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:53 AM
DanZ

Quote:
so does toews, toews>datsyuk?
Not saying Datsyuk is better than Malkin, because I don't think he is, but this logic doesn't make sense