HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Tor-det

Old
12-03-2012, 01:23 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Why blame it on yourself when you can blame it on Schultz. It isn't like the Ducks fans won't fall in line behind that kind of thinking anyway. That trade does make worlds more sense when you think you have Schultz. Still a bad deal, but I at least understand what was going through his head.
perhaps but i think we can both agree losing lupul gardiner a 2013 4th and schultz while only getting beauchmin has got to sting

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:43 AM
JohnnyGoodDro
haatley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggy35 View Post
Gardiner could be one of the greatest Leafs in HISTORY. Smith would be merely a repeat of Dmitri Yushkevich.
Leafs fans dont over rate their players at all. LOL

JohnnyGoodDro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:31 AM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Hate to break it to you chief, but Smith has done better offensively than Gardiner at every level of the game.

And we'll just stay away from the 7 points in 14 games last year playing six minutes less a night than Gardiner did...
LOL yeah lets use small sample sizes to prove points. NEATO. 30 points in the NHL > anything that Smith has proven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Leafs fans dont over rate their players at all. LOL
Coming from the group of people who worship Alfie the clown, lmfao

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:53 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

I've seen Smith play around 15 times and he's never done anything impressive, he's average... He's one of the most overated prospects I've ever seen.

Maxes out as a #3 guy for me and that's currently what Gardiner is... I wouldn't trade Gardiner's potential for Helm + a 1st

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:57 AM
JohnnyGoodDro
haatley

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
LOL yeah lets use small sample sizes to prove points. NEATO. 30 points in the NHL > anything that Smith has proven.

Im not a senator fan.

JohnnyGoodDro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Leafidelity

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Im not a senator fan.
I'd be surprised if you had the time left to follow any team with all the time you spend dumping on the Leafs.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
conway902

So Smith has more value then Gardiner because he was a better player in 2008-09 and 2009-10

Could also have something to do with Smith being older and Gardiner only switching to from forward to Defense in the 2007-08 season.

conway902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post

Considering It upholds Smith's past history of being better than Gardiner, yeah. You mad?

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:21 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by conway902 View Post
So Smith has more value then Gardiner because he was a better player in 2008-09 and 2009-10

Could also have something to do with Smith being older and Gardiner only switching to from forward to Defense in the 2007-08 season.
Smith was a forward that converted as well, so that is a similar history part of why they are both terrific skaters in my opinion. The point of this is you can see most Wings fans will argue they find Smith better than Gardiner already. Now that is where we won't find a ton support because they have held him back and while 14 games of a more impressive pace and play isn't enough to sample and I agree, somehow that extra 60 games last year means all is lost however. We can have our opinion and you can have yours. Smith wasn't made available for guys named Nash, JayBo and Yandle. Love Gardiner all you want, the Wings brass is very attached to Smith. I think Mike Babcock might resign if they traded him straight up, much less with his second favorite player on the team.

You can attach a lot of weight to Gardiner that is fine keep him. I don't know who has a higher potential, we do know who has been better at each level so far and Wings fans are fairly confident that will hold true. So there would be no add if you could get them to even consider just a straight swap.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Nizdizzle
The Shanaplan.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Based on this idea prospects should never be traded.
Okay, how about this... If Smith has the rookie season that Gardiner had, even though he did it 2 years older he should consider himself lucky. If Smith was some shoe-in for a #1 D-man, then yes, I can see the outrage from Detroit fans. As of right now, Smith is a prospect who's been mulling about in the minors for a long time, and we'd be trading a young better D-man for the "potential" that he breaks out.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:34 PM
seanlinden

I think getting into a debate over just how good Smith/ Gardiner are is just asking for bashing.

Reality is... Gardiner is incredibly overvalued in Toronto. They got him as a NCAA project who was expected to be a middle-of-the-lineup defenceman in the AHL last year, and he worked his way to the middle of the NHL lineup playing 75 games. In the AHL this year, he appears grossly out of place. Brian Burke is probably one of his biggest fanboys.

They're not going to trade him for a futures-oriented package. It's basically like pressing the reset button, and that's not something you do with players who grossly exceed expectations. It's what you do with guys who disappoint.

A deal like this just isn't in the parameters of something that makes sense for Toronto. If somebody wants something from Toronto, they'd be best to offer one of; a #1 centre, a middle-of-the-lineup shutdown dman, or a goaltender that's better than Ben Scrivens.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Okay, how about this... If Smith has the rookie season that Gardiner had, even though he did it 2 years older he should consider himself lucky. If Smith was some shoe-in for a #1 D-man, then yes, I can see the outrage from Detroit fans. As of right now, Smith is a prospect who's been mulling about in the minors for a long time, and we'd be trading a young better D-man for the "potential" that he breaks out.
I love how people consider age as a bashing point with Detroit prospects.

You're right, they should've called Smith up to bottom pairing minutes in the NHL rather than let him play top pairing minutes in the AHL. Or better yet, give him time over guys like Lidstrom and Kronwall!

Old
12-03-2012, 08:41 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
I love how people consider age as a bashing point with Detroit prospects.

You're right, they should've called Smith up to bottom pairing minutes in the NHL rather than let him play top pairing minutes in the AHL. Or better yet, give him time over guys like Lidstrom and Kronwall!
Why would he play bottom pairing minutes if he's better then Gardiner?

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:45 PM
The Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Compare Detroit and Toronto's top-4 defensemen from last year and there's your answer.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Smith plays on the left side. Lidstrom played on the left side. Kronwall played(s) on the left side. Smith is not better than either of them. Hence Smith would play on the bottom pair. Gardiner would have been in the AHL if he was with Detroit last year too.

Wolverine Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:52 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MGoBlue2 View Post
Smith plays on the left side. Lidstrom played on the left side. Kronwall played(s) on the left side. Smith is not better than either of them. Hence Smith would play on the bottom pair. Gardiner would have been in the AHL if he was with Detroit last year too.
Gardiner would have on the second pairing in the AHL...

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Anchor Town

Smith would play the exact same role as Gardiner if he was in Toronto. He will be second pairing and first PP unit with Kronwall whenever the NHL comes back

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Gardiner would have on the second pairing in the AHL...
Behind Smith? Absolutely.

I'm sorry, but Smith is a better player than Gardiner, and that is not a knock against Gardiner--who I'd be willing to trade for--just a statement of facts.

Wolverine Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MGoBlue2 View Post
Some people don't catch on to rocket science very quickly. Sad that you even had to explain that.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:06 PM
DatsyukianDeke*
Dangle Dangle

No thanks. We will hold onto Smith.

DatsyukianDeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:15 AM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Not that I still don't agree with the points above. But just for the record Smith can play both sides. Another thing I really like about him. He is better on the left in my opinion but he has paired with Kronwall and taken up the right side as well.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote