HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
And yet you go on to put Hudon in your top 6? lol? Would be both surprised and disappointed if Hudon made the team over Drouin.
Hudon has shown an excellent defensive game both in the summer series and the Russia QMJHL games. Also, Hudon isn't on the 2nd line for size. I will give 2 to 1 odds Hudon makes this team over Drouin.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:43 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Hudon has shown an excellent defensive game both in the summer series and the Russia QMJHL games. Also, Hudon isn't on the 2nd line for size. I will give 2 to 1 odds Hudon makes this team over Drouin.
I agree with all that. But he's not better offensively than MacKinnon... Give them a couple round robin games and I think they'll see that Hudon can play line3/4 effectively and MacKinnon is the better "Top 6" player out the two...

Drouin is 17 and might even be behind Monahan and MacKinnon in HC's eyes... I don't know why people have him on their rosters... Unless people expect HC to have a sudden change of heart and take more than 1 undrafted/in-eligible player, which is doubtful.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Huberdeau - Nuggent-Hopkins - Rattie
Hudon - Strome - Scheifele
Danault - Monahan - McNeill
Sutter - Jenner - Wilson
MacKinnon

Reilly - Hamilton
Ouellet - Harrington
Reinhart - Murphy
Pouliot

Subban
Binnington
I would be shocked if Sutter made the team.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Hudon contributed next to nothing in the Super Series relative to Drouin, btw, and that's Hockey Canada's lingering memory heading to camp. And after seeing the OHL and WHL struggle to score goals against the Russians, they'd be fools to take the reliable invisibility of Hudon over the game-breaking of Drouin. Furthermore, with so many convinced that this year's draft is more a case of 1A/1B with MacKinnon/Drouin, why couldn't this be a year where one more younger player ends up being brought into the fold?

Old
12-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Hudon contributed next to nothing in the Super Series relative to Drouin, btw, and that's Hockey Canada's lingering memory heading to camp. And after seeing the OHL and WHL struggle to score goals against the Russians, they'd be fools to take the reliable invisibility of Hudon over the game-breaking of Drouin. Furthermore, with so many convinced that this year's draft is more a case of 1A/1B with MacKinnon/Drouin, why couldn't this be a year where one more younger player ends up being brought into the fold?
There is absolutely no point arguing with you over Halifax players. I love Drouin but he has no place in this tourney given the depth.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
There is absolutely no point arguing with you over Halifax players. I love Drouin but he has no place in this tourney given the depth.
You know, you could have put someone like Puempel in there, and I wouldn't even have replied. To categorically dismiss Drouin and then pencil Hudon into a lineup in your next post, though? Sorry, that deserves a challenge. Being 18 and solid defensively shouldn't give him an edge going into camp, imo, and I can't see picking Hudon over Drouin after seeing them side by side in camp, either.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:28 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Huberdeau - Nuggent-Hopkins - Rattie
Hudon - Strome - Scheifele
Danault - Monahan - McNeill
Sutter - Jenner - Wilson
MacKinnon

Reilly - Hamilton
Ouellet - Harrington
Reinhart - Murphy
Pouliot

Subban
Binnington
Danault-Monahan-McNeill is a checking line I would love to see. Ill echo whoever said there's no way Sutter makes the team though. Especially over Ritchie (who I see as a very probable linemate for Strome)

Old
12-02-2012, 11:33 PM
sharks9

Quote:
And yet you go on to put Hudon in your top 6? lol? Would be both surprised and disappointed if Hudon made the team over Drouin.
Get ready to be disappointed. Hudon's virtually a lock according to most people and HC doesn't usually invite many 17 year-old, and it's especially likely in a lockout where the team's deeper than usual.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:56 PM
TheBeastCoast

vCash: 893
I really like Hudon and see him on the team on the 3rd or 4th line but with the talent this team could bring I just don't see how anybody has him in the top 6? Just doesn't make any sense. Especially over a player like Mackinnon.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:06 AM
jfb392

One confirmed camp invite, per his teammates: Adam Pelech.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:37 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by secord92 View Post
I really like Hudon and see him on the team on the 3rd or 4th line but with the talent this team could bring I just don't see how anybody has him in the top 6? Just doesn't make any sense. Especially over a player like Mackinnon.
Well, ya never know, Hudon could always start in that role and be relegated to the 3rd line if someone has a better camp or start to the tournament.

That being said, it's pretty clear he is a lock to be on the team unless something unforeseen happens.

As far as Drouin, tough to say. Usually the max is one for draft eligible guys, so 3 would likely be all but impossible on a deep team.

IMO, out of the 3 mackinnon is the best player and Monahan is the guy that can play on nearly every line, so it leaves Drouin in a bad spot.

That being said, it is in his own control. He dominates in camp he will get selected. If he is average to good, similar to guys like Seguin, RNH, etc in the past, then he will be cut and likely early.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:58 AM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Hudon tailed Yakupov the whole game and seemed to do a good job shutting him down. Anyone who thinks he was invisible was clearly only watching offense.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:01 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Hudon tailed Yakupov the whole game and seemed to do a good job shutting him down. Anyone who thinks he was invisible was clearly only watching offense.
If they wanted to bring a player purely to shut down the Pov, theyd bring along Ryan Rupert. The little sh!thead was on Yakupov like stink on a turd, I don't think Yakupov scored more than one or two points in all the times they played London last year

Not saying Rupert should even be in the realm of coversation, but Hudon will be there for more than his ability to shutdown one particular player

Old
12-03-2012, 03:29 AM
Mr Writer

RNH in Edmonton to have an MRI on a "sore shoulder". JIs this just a routine exam or is this the excuse/cover he needs to say, no, don't want to play. Just like Stamkos at last year's World Championship after going balls out in the final 8-10 games of the season to crack the 60 goal mark....suddenly it's "ah, sorry folks, but I got a bum shoulder."

We'll see how it goes. but I'm not optimistic.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:48 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sfan View Post
Saw how well that worked out...Bournival was junk last year.

That's neither here nor there though...I do agree Danault will make the team. I'm not super excited about Hudon though
He was Canada's best player against the Russians, besides Gallagher, both were finally matched together by Don Hay in the most desperate moment and they were the ones who created momentum that started what could have been a legendary comeback.

He wasn't there to score goals, he was there for his versatiliy, his gritty play, his skating, and his defensive prowess. And he did a fine job.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:07 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Danault-Monahan-McNeill is a checking line I would love to see. Ill echo whoever said there's no way Sutter makes the team though. Especially over Ritchie (who I see as a very probable linemate for Strome)

McNeill is too unsure as player. One game he is good next 3 games he sucks.

Oh, one more thing. Your buddy Gravoc will not make the team. He is not skilled enough for top 6 and not gritty enough for bottom 6. Way many players ahead of him. Prepare yourself.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:44 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
McNeill is too unsure as player. One game he is good next 3 games he sucks.

Oh, one more thing. Your buddy Gravoc will not make the team. He is not skilled enough for top 6 and not gritty enough for bottom 6. Way many players ahead of him. Prepare yourself.

Hahaha I was just very impressed by him in the SSS and the 67's game I saw this year. Never saw him as a lock by any means, and I have left him off the roster the last couple of times I've tried to predict the lineup. He still has yet to be cut .

I think he is definitely physical enough to play a bottom six role though. May not a good enough skater or not a versatile enough player to be there in the first place, but IMO physicality is not his problem

Old
12-03-2012, 06:00 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
I`m a season tix holder for the Mooseheads and I`m with you, this team will NOT struggle scoring goals without Drouin, and in the other two zones on the ice, his less than polished play could potentially hurt this team.

Love the kid, wrong year with ready NHL`ers/current NHL`ers coming to play

Old
12-03-2012, 06:54 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
RNH in Edmonton to have an MRI on a "sore shoulder". JIs this just a routine exam or is this the excuse/cover he needs to say, no, don't want to play. Just like Stamkos at last year's World Championship after going balls out in the final 8-10 games of the season to crack the 60 goal mark....suddenly it's "ah, sorry folks, but I got a bum shoulder."

We'll see how it goes. but I'm not optimistic.
I don't think that's fair to Stamkos man. These are guys that play an 82 game schedule against the most physically punishing players in the world. If you need a break, you need a break. Nothing wrong with being straight about it.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I don't think that's fair to Stamkos man. These are guys that play an 82 game schedule against the most physically punishing players in the world. If you need a break, you need a break. Nothing wrong with being straight about it.
At the end of the long season everybody is a little banged up... if you not on the IR, then you go play should you get the call..especially a young player who is expected to be a key player in the next Olympics... although I'm sure Stammer feels comfy that there's a position on that team waiting for him should the NHL participate.... but the longer this lockout persists the more I doubt that will actually happen... it would be an idiotic decision for the NHL not to participate, but the NHL loves to make stupid decisions.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:39 AM
TheBeastCoast

vCash: 893
What time are the roster's being released today?

Old
12-03-2012, 08:41 AM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
My darkhorse for making the team is Jean Sebastian Dea.
He wouldn't make team Canada's third team. He was absolutely invisible in the super series. *Facepalm*

Old
12-03-2012, 08:47 AM
CH4

Quote:
And given what Huberdeau and MacKinnon have shown together recently, I think Huberdeau - RNH - MacKinnon should just get written down in ink already (although I'd freely swap Huberdeau and Drouin if a spark was needed). Rounding out the rest:

[Huberdeau(/Drouin) - RNH - MacKinnon]
Drouin(/Huberdeau) - Strome - Ritchie
Monahan - Scheifele - Rattie
Beauvillier - Jenner - Wilson
Quote:
You know, you could have put someone like Puempel in there, and I wouldn't even have replied. To categorically dismiss Drouin and then pencil Hudon into a lineup in your next post, though? Sorry, that deserves a challenge. Being 18 and solid defensively shouldn't give him an edge going into camp, imo, and I can't see picking Hudon over Drouin after seeing them side by side in camp, either.
Says the guy who put Beauvillier in there

Picking Beauvillier ahead of Hudon is plain ridiculous. You probably haven't see them play a lot in the last 2 years. Beauvillier will (rightly) not even get an invite.

Drouin will be excellent but he isn't 1st line material this year.

I see hudon as a lock for bottom 6, Danault too.

lol Beauvillier

Old
12-03-2012, 09:01 AM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
He wouldn't make team Canada's third team. He was absolutely invisible in the super series. *Facepalm*
Yeah there's no way he gets an invite.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:07 AM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Quote:
Originally Posted by secord92 View Post
What time are the roster's being released today?
The first step towards the 2013 World Junior Hockey Championship begins today when Hockey Canada and the Canadian Hockey League announce its roster for selection camp at 12:30pm et/9:30am pt. You can watch it live on TSN.ca and get the full roster on the website once the announcement is made.

Closed Thread