HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VIII: "The 11th Hour" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Dumping on Bettman is getting old, I suppose.

Its pretty clear the largely pro-player media has set its agenda on destroying Jeremy Jacobs.

Every story needs a villain.
The media isn't largely pro player overall, and Jacobs is pretty much a villain all on his own even if we weren't stuck in the middle of a lockout. Dude is a pretty ****** person

Old
12-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
They don't deserve it? Interesting.
Every person on each side deserves it.

But the prevailing nature is to find a scapegoat. Theres something easy about pointing at Jacobs and saying "Thats the guy. Thats why theres no hockey"

Its certainly easier than admitting the both sides care about winning a negotiation rather than the game itself.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

There's no way this latest attempt will solve anything. Just another way of saying "Look, we tried". Lame.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The media isn't largely pro player overall, and Jacobs is pretty much a villain all on his own even if we weren't stuck in the middle of a lockout. Dude is a pretty ****** person
I just did some research on him, you know, outside of the trenches and conjecture of a labor negotiation.

The man has donated tens of millions of dollars to philanthropic causes. What a "****** person"

Old
12-03-2012, 09:23 AM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
I just did some research on him, you know, outside of the trenches and conjecture of a labor negotiation.

The man has donated tens of millions of dollars to philanthropic causes. What a "****** person"
The donations are probably to compensate for just how bad he is in every other aspect of his life. Kind of like some people who go to confession on Sunday thinking that they have a free pass to sin all week.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:24 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:

tens of millions of dollars to him is like hundreds of dollars to us. I hate how people call these rich people such great people because they donate millions of other billions to charity.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan_79 View Post
The donations are probably to compensate for just how bad he is in every other aspect of his life. Kind of like some people who go to confession on Sunday thinking that they have a free pass to sin all week.
Thank you for the input. Seems like a logical and truthful conclusion.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:26 AM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
Thank you for the input. Seems like a logical and truthful conclusion.
You are welcome. Logic and truth do not seem like what you were after but i offered it any way.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
tens of millions of dollars to him is like hundreds of dollars to us. I hate how people call these rich people such great people because they donate millions of other billions to charity.
Let me ask you a question. What makes Jeremy Jacobs such a *******? Now we're even getting outside of the NHL labor negotiation, which is just sad.

What makes this man, who Im assuming 90% of this board didnt even know until articles started coming out about how hes doing his job as chairman of the Board of Governors, such a blight on the human race???

Old
12-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
Quote:
Wait a min...... That's not what confession is for?!?!

Old
12-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
You are welcome. Logic and truth do not seem like what you were after but i offered it any way.
Actually, it is what Im after (hope you picked up on the sarcasm).

Your half assed and lazy assumptions about a man you know nothing about are on the opposite side of the truth spectrum, FYI.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:00 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Actually, it is what Im after (hope you picked up on the sarcasm).

Your half assed and lazy assumptions about a man you know nothing about are on the opposite side of the truth spectrum, FYI.
BRB you don't know him personally either. I understand what you're getting at but quite honestly no one here wants to hear it. We don't care about his "donations." If he was so generous he would've paid for his organization's stanley cup rings in full instead of having his players chip in to purchase them for some members of the organization. He screwed Bruins season ticket holders over when the lockout started. He is the ring leader of this disaster and everyone knows it. He has a very profitable organization and yet he wants more. All he is, is a greedy old ****. Stop defending him. I'd be more inclined to be somewhat sympathetic if it was an owner of the bottom 5 teams in this league, as far as revenue and profitability goes, if they were the ones being relentless. Jacobs is the righthand man in this, if not the alpha omega.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
BRB you don't know him personally either. I understand what you're getting at but quite honestly no one here wants to hear it. We don't care about his "donations." If he was so generous he would've paid for his organization's stanley cup rings in full instead of having his players chip in to purchase them for some members of the organization. He screwed Bruins season ticket holders over when the lockout started. He is the ring leader of this disaster and everyone knows it. He has a very profitable organization and yet he wants more. All he is, is a greedy old ****. Stop defending him. I'd be more inclined to be somewhat sympathetic if it was an owner of the bottom 5 teams in this league, as far as revenue and profitability goes, if they were the ones being relentless. Jacobs is the righthand man in this, if not the alpha omega.
Youre certainly right about that, but am I the one jumping to conclusions? Calling him a "****** person" inside and outside of the board room?

As chairman of the Board of Governors, he at least partially represents every team in this league. His job it to be relentless on their behalf as well.

Maybe he is an ******* -- but Im not going to jump to that conclusion because hes doing his job.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:14 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Youre certainly right about that, but am I the one jumping to conclusions? Calling him a "****** person" inside and outside of the board room?

As chairman of the Board of Governors, he at least partially represents every team in this league. His job it to be relentless on their behalf as well.

Maybe he is an ******* -- but Im not going to jump to that conclusion because hes doing his job.
And only partially it is. What about the big owners such as Dolan, Snider, Burkle, Moulson, (Leafs owner slipping my mind), etc.? He certainly isn't representing their interests. After the last lockout, I understood it. There was a need for a change. The cap was necessary. And all the owners were on board. There is a division this time. The game made $3.3 billion last year. And now were gona stop the progress? It's asinine. Those big teams have money to be made. Ok so the lower market teams need help. Compromise with a system that helps those teams. But don't ask for every single concession to be on the part of the players. The league expanded into too many markets, not the players. If Bettman and the owners want health and stability then they should be just as giving as they want the players to be. The owners can't even agree to honor the contracts THEY handed out let alone move onto other issues/decisions such as revenue sharing, HRR, contract terms, etc. And it is because of guys like Jacobs.

I understand labor negotiations are a process, but to be at this point with no real progress is ridiculous considering a lot of owners are not on board with the lockout, the league set a record setting revenue mark last year, and they are not fighting over implementing a cap this time.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:28 AM
ltrangerfan

My view:

The owners expanded the league hoping to take revenues to
a much higher level.

Who benefits?

The greedy owners .. but only if the higher revenues translate to higher profits.

and the greedy players who love the upside of higher revenues even if higher league profits never occurs.

Well.. the costs have grown faster than revenues so..

The greedy owners aren't seeing an increase in profits so they need to reduce costs.

And the greedy players have no interest to pay for the downside.

Last edited by ltrangerfan: 12-03-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old
12-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
It doesn't matter what it is to him really does it? That's a lot of money to a good (I'm assuming, I don't know which charity(ies). That's the bottom line. He's helping someone in need.

Say what you want about him in this lockout and the process they're going through but tens of millions is honorable at worst isn't it?

Old
12-03-2012, 10:43 AM
DutchShamrock

Is jacobs the guy that donates money or charges his staff the $7500 in taxes on their rings? Players picked up that tab btw.

Not sure what that has to do with negotiations. Jacobs is the guy that tells people to shut up in meetings because they are too new. He signed rfas to crazy deals minutes before the lockout then whines about contracts.

Those are some of the reasons why he is vilified in this arena. Philanthropy doesn't absolve his actions.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:09 AM
turcotte8

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

To me key in Tuesday's meeting is inclusion of Pens owner Ron Burkle. He's a big time dealmaker. Brings a lot of credibility to the table.

Let's hope he's right.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:31 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Let me ask you a question. What makes Jeremy Jacobs such a *******? Now we're even getting outside of the NHL labor negotiation, which is just sad.

What makes this man, who Im assuming 90% of this board didnt even know until articles started coming out about how hes doing his job as chairman of the Board of Governors, such a blight on the human race???
I know nothing of the man and haven't said anything about him. I'm just making the statement regarding this glorification of wealthy people giving what is like chump change to them to charity.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
I know nothing of the man and haven't said anything about him. I'm just making the statement regarding this glorification of wealthy people giving what is like chump change to them to charity.
I personally will never downplay giving money to charity. I have no idea what it's like to be a billionaire and give a large amount to charity. If you do, good on you.

And this shouldn't be taken as a defense of Jacobs. Frankly I don't know enough about him to form an opinion. Let's hope the lockout ends before I get bored enough to do the research.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:50 AM
ltrangerfan

A very interesting read.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-of-owners-cox

"Don Fehr may yet win this thing. And he surely didnít take the job to lose".

and..

"Fast forward to 2012. NHL players have never been as rich as they are now, or were under the previous collective bargaining agreement. During Gary Bettmanís reign as NHL commissioner, their salaries have increased more than five-fold.

For that, Bettman is almost universally hated by the players".

one more

" In recent weeks, Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs has become the focal point of the unionís spite. Before, it was Bettman accused of restraining the majority of good-willed owners and using voting rules to keep a minority in charge. Now, Jacobs has joined the commish in the minds of the players, ostensibly as the hardest of the hard-line owners, a individual who cannot be reasoned with because of his unbridled greed and disrespect for the hockey union".

Old
12-03-2012, 11:57 AM
egelband

i don't know who's to blame but i do know that i'm disgusted with everyone involved. including myself, since i know i'll be watching that first ranger game when they do eventually come back.
i just hate that both parties have waited until the last minute to even start negotiating. it's a real kick in the pants to the fans. they had to know this wouldn't be easy.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:14 PM
True Blue

According to ESPN, Bettman is responsible for excluding Dolan and ensuring that Jacobs is included

Old
12-03-2012, 12:19 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
According to ESPN, Bettman is responsible for excluding Dolan and ensuring that Jacobs is included
And to me there's the difference between this lockout and the last one. There isn't unity amongst the owners. There simply is not. There are plenty of owners who want hockey. Dolan is hands down one of them. Bettman does not want anyone in that room who will bend or break to get a deal done with the players.

This meeting doesn't matter though. It doesn't. Because you could have even 4 of the 6 owners in the meeting agree to end this lockout but when the vote goes back to the league the minority still have all the power. Jacobs could sit in silence during this meeting and when the votes are accounted for he will be in favor of continuing this lockout. The fact that the minority has power over the majority is absolutely inexplicable and a travesty to the game.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:20 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Crosby and Toews will be among group of players in NYC. For me, Toews is key. He's been a consistant no-nonsense hardline guy.

Crosby going face to face with his owner.

Closed Thread