HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2012-2013 Colorado Ava...Lake Erie Monsters Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 08:04 PM
klozge
Avs

vCash: 500
2nd period ends 4:1 Rampage. San Antonio is still the better team but the Monsters looked MUCH better in the 2nd period than in the 1st.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:29 PM
klozge
Avs

Rampage score. 5:1 I was tweeting and didn't see the goal.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:34 PM
klozge
Avs

Nice move by Carey. Still 5:1 Rampage, though.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:42 PM
klozge
Avs

Awesome. I just tweeted to the Monsters' announcer that the 1st period doesn't count and that's a 1:1 game. One minute later he said the 1:1 thing on the air. I like that very much. ^^

Old
11-30-2012, 08:43 PM
klozge
Avs

Aaaaaaand it's 6:1. Not our night at all.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:47 PM
klozge
Avs

Sullivan scores. 6:2. It's 2:2 without the period which has never happened.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:56 PM
klozge
Avs

End of the game. 2nd and 3rd period were okay, 1st period was absolutely horrible. I hope the team and the coaches learn a thing or two from this game. Elliott and Gaunce did pretty well in the 2nd half of the game. Both are still too sloppy, though. Aittokallio sucks.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Skating Tripods

Few thoughts on the game...

They looked flatter than a four-day old 20 oz Coke that had been left open. Just horrible. I told my fiance around three minutes in that they'd be down 1-0 very soon. I had no idea it would be 4-0 after one. Awful. Also, friend of mine (my ticket hook-up) who works for the team told me that Joe Sacco was in the house. Unrelated, he said Ryan Malone was in town for one of the games last weekend. Guess he was with his dad, Greg, who is a scout for the Lightning.

While I like Karl Stollery quite a bit, when he's your best player on the night, that's a major issue. Thought he played a strong game. Showed a little bit more physicality and jump than usual. I think he could be a 6th/7th defenseman in the future and be a guy you can reliably put on the ice and not really worry about.

Speaking of jump, Mark Olver had some for the first time in a game I've been at. I believe that was my fifth or sixth. He had some drive and looked like the Olver of old at times. Had a couple of decent scoring chances, but San Antonio's defensive zone coverage was strong. Olver didn't get much help when he was on the ice.

Both Elliott and Barrie got pushed around tonight. Not a banner night for either of them.

Regarding Aittokallio, I didn't think he played all that poorly in the first period. He was screened on two goals, one went off his defenseman and through the five hole, and another was a series of rebounds that he should have covered at some point. If you want to criticize him for the rebounds, that's fine, but the first, possibly second, save are his responsibility. After that, the opposing forwards need to be put on their *****. The gameplan against the Monsters is clearly to shoot low and crash the net.

For all the attack zone time the Monsters had in the final two periods, they didn't get a whole lot of high-percentage shots. Besides the couple of posts early on, Markstrom wasn't tested a whole lot. Credit San Antonio for buying into playing hard in the defensive zone.

Sullivan-Gaunce is not a good pairing, Chynoweth. Please separate them immediately. Gaunce looked lost out there tonight. Ill-advised pinches, slow foot speed in the corners. I wonder if he plateaued a couple seasons ago and just isn't getting any better. His lack of agility is what concerns me the most. He's getting victimized on the cycle and his pinches are causing odd-man rushes because he's not bodying up the forward fast enough. Major liability. Having another liability in Sullivan out there with him is not ideal.

I cannot figure out why Chynoweth is putting Bordeleau on the ice with Agozzino. In terms of guys who can create instant offense, Agozzino's one of the better ones on the team. Having Bordeleau with him not only slows the line down in transition, but doesn't give Agozzino a reliable weak-side winger to make a pass to. It was interesting to watch the Rampage give Bordeleau 10-15 feet of cushion to accept breakout and cross-ice passes, while pinching on Agozzino and the other linemate, who I can't think of right now. They clearly did their homework and had a great gameplan entering the game.

A growing trend I've seen this year is that the Monsters are a terrible faceoff team, especially in the defensive zone. Not only are they losing draws, but they're not doing the fundamental things in coverage. It's either a simple breakout for the opposition or a scoring chance against. Faceoffs are extremely critical when you're not a physical team. The Monsters have to be a puck possession team to have success, because they have a hard time getting it back.

I was a little annoyed that Chynoweth didn't call a timeout after the Monsters fell behind 2-0. They needed a kick in the ass and intermission was a long way away. I know you want to have it in your back pocket if it's a close game late in the third, but it was apparent that they wouldn't even be in the game if they kept playing the way they were.

Hopefully they play better tomorrow with a real quick turnaround.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Aittokallio get another start after being pulled after 20 minutes last night.

Haven't found a stream, only radio.

Old
12-01-2012, 02:31 PM
klozge
Avs

Sounded like the Monsters did a good job in this game. 4:2. Aittokallio with 26 saves.

Old
12-01-2012, 02:33 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

WTF they're playing now?

Gues great news!!!!! Elliott got his first point, YAY! And it was a primary assist as well, yay!

Old
12-01-2012, 04:48 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
I hate how the morning games rarely have a stream, hopefully there will be one for tomorrow's game.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:02 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

Anybody got a stream?

Old
12-02-2012, 02:05 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

This guy is in net for the Marlies.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I can't find any stats online, but doesn't it seem like LEM allow many PP goals?

Old
12-02-2012, 02:36 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I can't find any stats online, but doesn't it seem like LEM allow many PP goals?
Yeah, their PK does seem pretty bad.

Old
12-02-2012, 02:40 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
http://www.usagoals.com/live/278368-...ivo/tv/gratis/

found a link but the stream hasnt picked up yet, hopefully soon

Old
12-02-2012, 03:02 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Yeah, their PK does seem pretty bad.
Which is strange because it was really good in the first few games.

Old
12-02-2012, 03:28 PM
klozge
Avs

WTF? 15 shots, 5 goals?

Old
12-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
I still don't understand why Chynoweth doesn't play Gaunce with Elliot

Old
12-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Chileiceman

I was at the game today. Met Brad Malone's cousin. Speaking of whom, I think he might have been the best Monster on the ice today. The Monsters played well for the most part. They were having some issues with their size disadvantage (Mr. Truculence Burke himself was in the house today), but played hard and didn't let themselves be pushed around. Billy Thomas really wanted a piece of Kadri the whole game, but some other guy stepped in for Kadri.

The worst Monster by a mile was Stollery. Holy moly was he bad. Barrie, his partner, had a rough game too in his own end. He had a couple brilliant rushes though Elliot showed a lot of poise with the puck in the offensive end and on the breakouts. It was nice to see. I think his points will start coming. I thought he was pretty good. Gaunce is the best defensive defenseman on the team. He plays with so much intensity.

Agozzino is another guy who I wish was 2 inches taller, because he has everything else to make the NHL. Kid is tenacious on the forecheck, good hands, good skater. Big fan of his. he played with Heard and Bordeleau, and still got a couple of points.

Jake Gardiner is a player. There was a sequence when he drove to the net untouched twice in a row and got good chance in close. Barrie and Stollery were just chasing him the whole time.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Chileiceman

Also Pickard was very average. Unlike the first Marlies game were he was absolutely sensational. Owuya made some pretty stellar saves for the Marlies.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:36 AM
PAZ

I've been on vacation and just got back a few days ago. What's going on with Elliot? -9 and 1 point in 19 games? Has he regressed that much, injury? I just glanced quickly at the stats.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
WTF they're playing now?

Gues great news!!!!! Elliott got his first point, YAY! And it was a primary assist as well, yay!
Ok, I have to say something here. Will people please STOP ever mentioning the ludicrous term 'primary/secondary assist'!!?!?!

When was the last time you've ever heard anyone on TSN or Hockey Night in Canada EVER mention that term? NEVER.

Example: Matt Duchene lugs the puck up the ice, does 14 spin-o-ramas to get away from opponents, then flips the puck over the last defender and regains it then makes a pass that inadvertently goes off of Hejduk's stick blade which ends up on Parenteau's stick and he shoots and scores.

According to this, Hejduk got the primary assist by having the puck go off his stick while Duchene only got a secondary assist.

Assists are assists, using the terms primary or secondary is completely ridiculous. If it did have ANY worth at all when considering playmaking ability or what have you, it would be kept track of, I can guarantee you that.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:34 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Ok, I have to say something here. Will people please STOP ever mentioning the ludicrous term 'primary/secondary assist'!!?!?!

When was the last time you've ever heard anyone on TSN or Hockey Night in Canada EVER mention that term? NEVER.

Example: Matt Duchene lugs the puck up the ice, does 14 spin-o-ramas to get away from opponents, then flips the puck over the last defender and regains it then makes a pass that inadvertently goes off of Hejduk's stick blade which ends up on Parenteau's stick and he shoots and scores.

According to this, Hejduk got the primary assist by having the puck go off his stick while Duchene only got a secondary assist.

Assists are assists, using the terms primary or secondary is completely ridiculous. If it did have ANY worth at all when considering playmaking ability or what have you, it would be kept track of, I can guarantee you that.
it would be ridiculous if the sport was basketball and dual assists weren't counted. but a primary and secondary is a legit term to use.
the primary assist is like a save, the secondary is like a hold in baseball.

Closed Thread