HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Final Fantasy Thread.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:58 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Am i the only one beliving versus XIII will be the next great FF? It has everything great that the old Final Fantasy's had but with many new elements.

- Huge open world? Check.
- The ability to fly an airship? Check.
- Modern time? Check.
- Great soundtrack? Check.
- A new fightingsystem developed from XII and AC? Check.

It seems to be everything XIII wasnt and everything XII should have.

Is there even any new news about the game?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Richie10

Yeah, FFVII set the blueprint, or at least was the first game to bring the blueprint to the mainstream, for JRPG cliches. That's one of the main reason (other than the graphics) that the original game hasn't aged that well. If you were to play VII for the first time today, you'd likely be bored out of your mind by something that felt like the "same ol' story." The game feels dated. But that's not because the game is bad or for some reason pulled the wool over our eyes 15 years ago. It's just that every JRPG since has cloned VII to some degree looking to replicate the same success. A game of that degree of influence is definitely worth praise.

Richie10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:10 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Yeah, FFVII set the blueprint, or at least was the first game to bring the blueprint to the mainstream, for JRPG cliches. That's one of the main reason (other than the graphics) that the original game hasn't aged that well. If you were to play VII for the first time today, you'd likely be bored out of your mind by something that felt like the "same ol' story." The game feels dated. But that's not because the game is bad or for some reason pulled the wool over our eyes 15 years ago. It's just that every JRPG since has cloned VII to some degree looking to replicate the same success. A game of that degree of influence is definitely worth praise.
I don't know how it would seem dated though - there aren't may JRPGs (that I know of anyway) with that type of battle system. A couple other Final Fantasy games, Chrono Cross, and Legend of Dragoon really.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Not really. Just a few comments like: "The game is looking great" and "We are still working on it" etc Apperntly they have regular meetings about the game every week tho and all they have said in later days is that the game is looking fantastic. I swear, they are just trolling us

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:52 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Suck it, Midgar Zolom!!!

Old
12-03-2012, 01:06 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Not really. Just a few comments like: "The game is looking great" and "We are still working on it" etc Apperntly they have regular meetings about the game every week tho and all they have said in later days is that the game is looking fantastic. I swear, they are just trolling us
Square Enix have blatantly lied tons of times (trust me, I followed the development of FFXIV). No reason to believe they aren't now.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:15 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Eh. First of all, standards were way different in 1997 than they are now...and FFVII wrote the book on RPG cliches, so it was pretty damn fresh when it came out. Cloud is hardly an ideal character...but he wasn't androgynous and he wasn't a sissy.

He was a total whiner, though. Even if he didn't speak.
Yeah he's not really a sissy, but when movie time came around and Square could create Cloud in cutting edge modern 3d animation he was totally androgynous:

As a big FFVI fan I'm both disappointed but at the same time kind of glad that it's never got the same treatment, since they'd do the same thing to poor Locke

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:21 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
That seems to be stretching things a bit... I give it full praise for making JRPG's mainstream (for a little while at least), but unless you're talking about very general things that are more of a natural progression of technology like 3d graphics or pre-rendered cut scenes then I can think of plenty JRPG's that have really nothing to do with FFVII.

A great example would be Dragon Quest VIII, which is completely rooted in it's own history. If there any similarities to FF games then it would be VI, not VII.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Suck it, Midgar Zolom!!!
DUDE! **** that thing!!!

I remember the first time I played FF7. That thing destroyed me. I wanted to kill it so bad.

I massively leveled up before continuing; JUST TO KILL IT! When I did, I got little EXP or rewards for it.

I was like WTF? I just got punked!

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Good to see more love for XII, I thought I was the only one that liked it, gameplay is sick

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:05 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
DUDE! **** that thing!!!

I remember the first time I played FF7. That thing destroyed me. I wanted to kill it so bad.

I massively leveled up before continuing; JUST TO KILL IT! When I did, I got little EXP or rewards for it.

I was like WTF? I just got punked!
If you beat it early enough like I did (I've never beaten FFVII even close, the further I got before this was where you get Red XIII [who I renamed Simba!] - I've beat the end boss on a friend's save) you can steal a massive crazy attack from him with the materia "Enemy Skill."

I always heard that you poison the snake and let him die that way, while you heal yourself. I ended up doing that but getting destroyed anyway.

The second time I went into the fight, I put all three of my party members (Barrett, Aeris, Cloud) to the back row and I took about 1/4 the damage. Boom. I managed to survive the fight while gaining an Enemy Skill attack called "Beta." Does about 800-1000 damage to ALL enemies right now while my regular magic attacks are doing about 120. Freaking amazing. The only crappy part is that it takes 35 MP, so I can only use it 3 times with Cloud before I need to use an Ether.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:06 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
Good to see more love for XII, I thought I was the only one that liked it, gameplay is sick
I'd love for an HD Collection of X, X-2, and XII. I didn't hate X-2 (wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as people say) and XII was awesome. XII was much better than X because Tidus was annoying as hell. I hope they got a new voice actor for Tidus for the HD version.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Yeah he's not really a sissy, but when movie time came around and Square could create Cloud in cutting edge modern 3d animation he was totally androgynous:

As a big FFVI fan I'm both disappointed but at the same time kind of glad that it's never got the same treatment, since they'd do the same thing to poor Locke
Well, yeah...that movie was made for a Japanese audience. It was basically an awful big budget anime. After the financial failure of The Spirits Within they weren't exactly aiming for the American audience, and the fact it was a straight-to-DVD release shows that. They even managed to neuter ****ing Sephiroth. Even worse were the 14 year old girls they had him hanging around with.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:45 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Call me a traditionalist but I prefer the old battle system. It was just more organized and I could enjoy the music a bit more

awesomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Damien

Send a message via MSN to Damien
Take gau to veldt!

Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Quote:
I'd love for an HD Collection of X, X-2, and XII. I didn't hate X-2 (wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as people say) and XII was awesome. XII was much better than X because Tidus was annoying as hell. I hope they got a new voice actor for Tidus for the HD version.
Are you for real? How can anyone rank Vaan ahead of Tidus? :

Vaan is the worst character in all Final Fantasy games..
He brings nothing of value to the story other then annoyance. He is stupid, has an annoying voice, doesnt understand anything that is happening the world and has absolutley nothing to do with the main story. He is buttugly too. Basch should have been the main character...

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:00 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Take gau to veldt!
Gau only needed one ability that you could get from the start: Stray Cat

That's a little trick we figured out in the days before the internet and FAQ's. He'll alternate between using a regular attack or an ability called "Cat Scratch" which for someone reason was on par with Sabin's Bum Rush or Edgar's Chainsaw.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:44 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Final Fantasy 7 was the most effort I put into a FF game...if you don't know the W-Item trick, shame on all of you!

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 05:05 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

FFXIII is garbage. Are they still on this crap?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Still making it. At this rate next gen console might be out.
Quote:
I hope they do this.

12-06-2012, 07:31 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Still making it. At this rate next gen console might be out.

I hope they do this.
Funny how the game was announced in May of 2006 and it might now even be out for another year or two... just wow. It's definitely strange. Versus XIII I think would bring SE out of their FF funk, but instead they keep trying to put all their effort into making FFXIII sequels and FFXIV as if they are covering up some sort of shame. Not like I don't like FFXIII, it's fine, but there are WAY better games in the FF series, and it looks like Versus XIII would blow it out of the water.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:51 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I have been praying to God for about 10 years now that they remake FFVII. I want everything to be the same, just ps3 graphics, better quality of music (though the original soundtrack is probably still my favorite next to X,) and same battle system. I would love to see more things added on, however. I loved the sidequests. Is there a chance of this ever happening?

12-07-2012, 02:10 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I have been praying to God for about 10 years now that they remake FFVII. I want everything to be the same, just ps3 graphics, better quality of music (though the original soundtrack is probably still my favorite next to X,) and same battle system. I would love to see more things added on, however. I loved the sidequests. Is there a chance of this ever happening?
Supposedly they would only do if there is another FF game that comes out and does better than it and is better quality.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-final-fantasy

Old
12-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Supposedly they would only do if there is another FF game that comes out and does better than it and is better quality.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-final-fantasy
Square Enix is a joke. Like they'll ever match the quality of the Square FFs.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Idiotic move, just create it and get some reputation back. God damn it.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote