HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), players in the system, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 10:01 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Coach wasn't thrilled with the effort from Niko, sounds like Wedge goes again tomorrow.

Nice to see Noebels to get off the schnide, he came out like a bat outta hell to start the season, and hit a major lull all throughout November.

Tyler Hostetter also had 3 assists. He's been in and out of the lineup with consistency issues/overloaded defensive depth chart. This may change that.
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think that Hovinen goes back to Finland. It's clear he's not cut out to be a goaltender here. The North American game seems to be too much for him and it's clear he's having a terrible time making the adjustments to the game.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:04 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think that Hovinen goes back to Finland. It's clear he's not cut out to be a goaltender here. The North American game seems to be too much for him and it's clear he's having a terrible time making the adjustments to the game.
I assume the injuries and not playing everyday don't help either.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:08 AM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Harry Z had a pretty nice shorty the other night!

The announcer was so fired up to, if you have time and you have not seen it already go check it out on the Flyers site!

Old
12-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Harry Z had a pretty nice shorty the other night!

The announcer was so fired up to, if you have time and you have not seen it already go check it out on the Flyers site!
I just saw that, it was pretty impressive. Great speed and move on the goalie

Old
12-02-2012, 12:15 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
he hasnt even been here for a season, and you're already counting him out?

typical Flyers fans mentality there

Old
12-02-2012, 01:49 PM
ilovetheflyers8

On the Flyers giving chances to people with connections to the team, Ilkka Sinisalo's son was invited to training camp in 2009 per wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilkka_S...#Personal_life .

Old
12-02-2012, 04:58 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
he hasnt even been here for a season, and you're already counting him out?

typical Flyers fans mentality there
It's not that he hasn't been here for less than a year. It's that he's come to North America and he's been terrible. People can say all they want about how it takes times to make the adjustment and how he's new to the game, but this guy already has four professional seasons of hockey under his belt. He shouldn't "require" adjustment time to the North American game. He's been flat out terrible and not even someone like Bill Metzler would even defend Hovinen's game. He's shown nothing about being a capable goaltender. It's sad too because a lot of people within the organization had very high hopes for him.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:04 PM
MillerTime2181

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum but Tom Sestito has 8G 11A 19P and 69 PM in 17GP for the Sheffield Steelers of the Elite Ice Hockey League. Not sure where that league stands in the echelon of hockey leagues but apparently Drew Miller and Paul Bissonette, among a few other NHLers are playing there during the lockout. At any rate nice to see he's at a PPG pace and evidently still a factor as an enforcer. Anyone think he will find a home as the next Flyers enforcer in the near future?

Old
12-02-2012, 05:38 PM
TrentonPwnedFlorida

Quote:
It's not that he hasn't been here for less than a year. It's that he's come to North America and he's been terrible. People can say all they want about how it takes times to make the adjustment and how he's new to the game, but this guy already has four professional seasons of hockey under his belt. He shouldn't "require" adjustment time to the North American game. He's been flat out terrible and not even someone like Bill Metzler would even defend Hovinen's game. He's shown nothing about being a capable goaltender. It's sad too because a lot of people within the organization had very high hopes for him.
Trentons D has been horrible. Wedgewood has outplayed him, yes, but it is silly to act the way you are towards Hovinen.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:20 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Hovinen's mentality has been very non-chalent, win or lose. There are times that can be a plus, but not all the time. He's not hungry and seems to be taking his NHL shot for granted. I'm not sure sending him back to Europe will solve ANYTHING, but I can't see him getting promoted anytime soon. And yes, the Titans D hasn't been good enough to help either of them, though its very VERY easy to see who the better goalie is.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
Not sure if this is the right part of the forum but Tom Sestito has 8G 11A 19P and 69 PM in 17GP for the Sheffield Steelers of the Elite Ice Hockey League. Not sure where that league stands in the echelon of hockey leagues but apparently Drew Miller and Paul Bissonette, among a few other NHLers are playing there during the lockout. At any rate nice to see he's at a PPG pace and evidently still a factor as an enforcer. Anyone think he will find a home as the next Flyers enforcer in the near future?
ECHL level, give or take. Maybe slightly worse.
Quote:
Hovinen's mentality has been very non-chalent, win or lose. There are times that can be a plus, but not all the time. He's not hungry and seems to be taking his NHL shot for granted. I'm not sure sending him back to Europe will solve ANYTHING, but I can't see him getting promoted anytime soon. And yes, the Titans D hasn't been good enough to help either of them, though its very VERY easy to see who the better goalie is.
That's not cool then. I know the demotion must have sucked really bad, but isn't Wedgewood touted as possibly being the Devils' future starting goalie? I was hoping this would light a fire under his ass.

And on a more positive, at least Wedgewood got lit up tonight, saving 22 on 28 shots. He got an assist on Noebels's goal, though (as did Hostetter)

Last edited by Ryker: 12-02-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old
12-02-2012, 11:24 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
ECHL level, give or take. Maybe slightly worse.
That's not cool then. I know the demotion must have sucked really bad, but isn't Wedgewood touted as possibly being the Devils' future starting goalie? I was hoping this would light a fire under his ass.

And on a more positive, at least Wedgewood got lit up tonight, saving 22 on 28 shots. He got an assist on Noebels's goal, though (as did Hostetter)
Yes to Wedge's ceiling. No to getting "lit up"...in a sense. Statistically he got lit up, but he still played decently enough. As previously mentioned, he's getting minimal help from the defense. There seemed to be little question as to if he was going to get pulled for Niko...they were sticking with Wedge through and through. The fact that that's "OK" on a Flyers affiliate?...fill in the blanks for Niko.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:10 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Yes to Wedge's ceiling. No to getting "lit up"...in a sense. Statistically he got lit up, but he still played decently enough. As previously mentioned, he's getting minimal help from the defense. There seemed to be little question as to if he was going to get pulled for Niko...they were sticking with Wedge through and through. The fact that that's "OK" on a Flyers affiliate?...fill in the blanks for Niko.
Well it is the Flyers and NJ's affiliate. I imagine the coach just tries to do what he thinks is best for the team to win and ignore who has a contract with which team, which would be the fair and sensible option.

edit-Oh, and since people were talking about Alabama-Huntsville the Flyers/Phantoms have actually had two players from their hockey program that I know of, Scott Munroe and Jared Ross. I recall reading that the team was actually going to shut down this season or perhaps after this season?

edit- Yup it was going to become a club team, or it did temporarily. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...hes_offic.html

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 12-03-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old
12-03-2012, 10:13 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Added what I was going to say above.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:26 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Well it is the Flyers and NJ's affiliate. I imagine the coach just tries to do what he thinks is best for the team to win and ignore who has a contract with which team, which would be the fair and sensible option.

edit-Oh, and since people were talking about Alabama-Huntsville the Flyers/Phantoms have actually had two players from their hockey program that I know of, Scott Munroe and Jared Ross. I recall reading that the team was actually going to shut down this season or perhaps after this season?

edit- Yup it was going to become a club team, or it did temporarily. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...hes_offic.html
The Devils no longer have an ECHL affiliate. Most of their players land in Trenton if they need a spot (Wedgewood, Nagy, now K. Zajac). They also have a couple players in Elmira. But with no official affiliate, they have no sway over their players' playing time.

As much as the ECHL is a developmental league now (moreso than the brawler beer league that it used to be), the teams obviously still try to compete and win...which is why Wedgewood is getting starts.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:04 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I agree. Trenton is still trying to win hockey games. Yeah its a split affiliation and that is never easy on anyone, but you go with the the guy playing better. Sucks for Hovinen but hes just going to have to wait it out and work hard in practice to get better.
btw I think its waaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to give up on him. Sure hes struggling but you got to give it time with him.
I dont agree we should of let Sunshine go over him, but thats an argument thats been beaten to death around here.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:07 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
The Devils no longer have an ECHL affiliate. Most of their players land in Trenton if they need a spot (Wedgewood, Nagy, now K. Zajac). They also have a couple players in Elmira. But with no official affiliate, they have no sway over their players' playing time.

As much as the ECHL is a developmental league now (moreso than the brawler beer league that it used to be), the teams obviously still try to compete and win...which is why Wedgewood is getting starts.
The ECHL is not as much as a developmental league as the AHL is. Unlike AHL teams that are "force fed" their entire rosters, ECHL teams do sign their own players and only a handful of them are prospects from the parent club. Winning is more important to an ECHL team than an AHL team.

You are correct that the Devils do not have an ECHL affiliate.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:55 PM
FLYguy3911

Another year without a Flyers prospect on team Canada.

Giroux was the last one in 2008.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:57 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I agree. Trenton is still trying to win hockey games. Yeah its a split affiliation and that is never easy on anyone, but you go with the the guy playing better. Sucks for Hovinen but hes just going to have to wait it out and work hard in practice to get better.
btw I think its waaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to give up on him. Sure hes struggling but you got to give it time with him.
I dont agree we should of let Sunshine go over him, but thats an argument thats been beaten to death around here.
Trenton is ONLY a Flyers affiliate. The Devils gave up their ECHL affiliation last summer.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:15 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Quote:
In case anyone is wondering… Injured #Flyers defenseman Andreas Lilja is just skating with the #ADKPhantoms and won't play.
Source: Anthony SanFilippo @AnthonySan37
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Hearing Andreas Lilja is up in Adirondack with the Phantoms today. He has not been locked out yet, rehabbing from offseason hip surgery
Source: Frank Seravalli‏ @DNFlyers

Old
12-03-2012, 05:16 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Another year without a Flyers prospect on team Canada.

Giroux was the last one in 2008.
Cousins should have got in over Catenacci

Old
12-03-2012, 05:32 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Cousins should have got in over Catenacci
Knew that would happen when he didn't get invited to the Subway Series.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
The ECHL is not as much as a developmental league as the AHL is. Unlike AHL teams that are "force fed" their entire rosters, ECHL teams do sign their own players and only a handful of them are prospects from the parent club. Winning is more important to an ECHL team than an AHL team.

You are correct that the Devils do not have an ECHL affiliate.
Yeah, that's why I could never take the AHL seriously.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:55 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Yeah, that's why I could never take the AHL seriously.
It's a developmental league. I don't think anybody has ever disputed that, but it's not like there isn't good hockey being played down there.

Also, does Ghost appear to be a lock for the U.S. team? I haven't browsed enough, but I thought I remembered him impressing the coaches at some point.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:06 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
It's a developmental league. I don't think anybody has ever disputed that, but it's not like there isn't good hockey being played down there.

Also, does Ghost appear to be a lock for the U.S. team? I haven't browsed enough, but I thought I remembered him impressing the coaches at some point.
Not sure, but Stolarz is not invited, according to....him.

Closed Thread