HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Named Captain for Team Canada (WJC)

View Poll Results: Should the Oilers allow RNH to play in the WJHCs this year?
Yes 214 86.29%
No 34 13.71%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-02-2012, 04:04 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
I'm not sure I understand why RNH didn't have this looked at already?

I mean, the AHL schedule is ridiculous and they seem to have week breaks all the time, if it wasn't feeling right why not go back and have it checked out a month ago?

Mildly concerning, but watching him all year in the A he hasn't exactly shown any reason to think he was injured.

He has thrown a few big hits without concern at all.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
Shoulder injury's are terrible. Hopefully it isn't something that nags at him for years to come, but that's a scary possibility.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

I don't really know what the point of playing in the WJC is. If it was a strong field, I wouldn't mind him going but the American roster looks weak and the Swedes are going to be missing a lot of their best players. Looks like Russia is the only good team this year.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
I don't really know what the point of playing in the WJC is. If it was a strong field, I wouldn't mind him going but the American roster looks weak and the Swedes are going to be missing a lot of their best players. Looks like Russia is the only good team this year.
Whacho mean? Didn't you read Chris Stevenson's stirring article about the future of hockey? The 'Mericans are takin' over!

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:18 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins' shoulder isn't "injured" per se but hasn't felt quite right this season in AHL. So he's back in EDM for evaluation.
since RNH is an oiler though, we know this means he will likely be gone for the rest of the season... i wish i wasn't only half joking

how ... many... freaking.... times... are the oilers going to let a player continue to play with a bum-shoulder though? this is getting absolutely ridiculous... horcoff, hemsky, hall and now RNH... just ridiculous

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Whacho mean? Didn't you read Chris Stevenson's stirring article about the future of hockey? The 'Mericans are takin' over!
In all seriousness, the Americans are getting a lot better and they have iced some great rosters in previous tournaments. This just seems like a weak year for them, although they still have some good players.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:42 PM
topchowda

1.Go to University
2. Specialize in shoulder related injuries
3.Move to Edmonton
4. Get job with Oilers
5.Profit

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:10 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
1.Go to University
3.Move to Edmonton
4. Get job with Oilers
5.Profit
Kind of similar to a weatherman and a city planner in Edmonton.

Rarely correct

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:10 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
1.Go to University
3.Move to Edmonton
4. Get job with Oilers
5.Profit
It's sad, but you could make a killing

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:30 PM
SDig14

We seem to be getting some pretty bad luck, but sadly hockey players get hurt.

Hopefully he gets it looked at and all is well, though you have to wonder if it doesn't feel "right" then something must be wrong?

Old
12-02-2012, 09:17 PM
CupofOil

If RNH's shoulder doesn't feel right, get the ****ing thing fixed.
Who gives a **** about a stupid AHL season, he and the Oilers need to focus on his long term well being. Christ already, get the ****ing shoulder fixed, it took Hall long enough to finally get the surgery.
I understand that these guys want to play through pain but it's time to be smart about this.

Between all the injuries, the season long lockout and the arena debacle, it has been a disasterous offseason for the Oilers and hockey in general.
At least Schultz has shown that he's for real, that's about all i got for positives.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:20 PM
topchowda

This is why I dont feel bad for stealing Schultz, Oilers get ****'d with injuries so i guess its compensation

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Agron
BELIEVE.

hope its not too bad..

oh what am i saying its probably ****ing terrible

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is having his shoulder looked at Monday.

Settle down. No need to panic. It’s routine before the Edmonton Oilers centre likely says he’ll play for Canada’s world junior team at Ufa, Russia, over Christmas.

It’ll be Nugent-Hopkins’ call, with the Oilers probably going along with his desire.
Quote:
“We’re just having a look at it (shoulder) ... as you know, he had an AC separation last winter and we want to make sure everything is exactly where we need it to be,” said Nugent-Hopkins’ agent Rick Valette
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...tter-ej_oilers

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:38 PM
SDig14

Keep in mind the kid has been playing all year, throwing his weight around quite a bit, and hasn't missed a game due to a shoulder.

Oiler fans automatically panic because we have terrible injury luck, but it seems as though its more discomfort than anything.

The situation with Hall was much different, he said it was rather painful and he missed games numerous times throughout multiple seasons because of it, and after everything they finally got it fixed.

Lets just hope they say structurally it's 100% and that it's just discomfort from past injury and he will be fine.

It's just disturbing that this all started from him losing an edge in a rut and sliding into the boards....

Old
12-02-2012, 11:43 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Makes me rest easy, though I was far less worried as some.

I am confident it will be all well with the test and I guess he will be headed to Russia.

I'm ok with him going, I prefer to make him happy with what he wants to do, and as a bonus we can hopefully watch him a lot on tv over Christmas dominating the wjc.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:09 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Can't wait to watch Nuge represent Canada. I hope he plays like a hero, just like Eberle did.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:16 AM
joestevens29

The whole well I'm not hurt, but getting it checked out seems odd to me. Is this his way to not go? Say that there is some swelling and take a week off and come back to OKC?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:50 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The whole well I'm not hurt, but getting it checked out seems odd to me. Is this his way to not go? Say that there is some swelling and take a week off and come back to OKC?
there were some twitter rumblings that RNH was feeling pressured to go play, from brownlee and gregor i believe

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
I'd be fine with that, if he doesn't want to go he shouldn't have to. It's not his fault that 2 years ago hockey Canada were idiots and didn't pick him.

12-03-2012, 11:02 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
there were some twitter rumblings that RNH was feeling pressured to go play, from brownlee and gregor i believe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'd be fine with that, if he doesn't want to go he shouldn't have to. It's not his fault that 2 years ago hockey Canada were idiots and didn't pick him.
The problem is he'll become public enemy #1 if he doesn't go, especially if healthy.

Feel bad for the kid because I can really see why he wouldn't want to go, but then again he snubs hockey canada now then there is a good chance he screws himself up going forward.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
The problem is he'll become public enemy #1 if he doesn't go, especially if healthy.

Feel bad for the kid because I can really see why he wouldn't want to go, but then again he snubs hockey canada now then there is a good chance he screws himself up going forward.
Why would he want to go play Junior though? He's already got an NHL season under his belt, and it'd make no sense to play junior - even if on the world stage. Time to move on and maybe concentrate on the WC and not the WJC.

Hockey Canada had their chance with him for the WJC and they wiffed on it. Now he's beyond that level. I honestly think it would be detremental to his development at this point. Ebs made a point of this -

http://oilersnation.com/2012/11/28/c...-jordan-eberle

Quote:
Gregor: Have you had any talks with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins about the possibility that he値l play for Canada at the World Juniors?

Eberle: I haven稚. I知 not sure what he wants to do. It値l be interesting to see what happens. I致e played in the World Juniors twice and those have been pretty big events for me as far as creating the player who I am today. It値l be interesting to see what happens when it comes.

Gregor: Do you think it would benefit him to go to the World Juniors, or is it more beneficial to just stay playing professional hockey in the American league?

Eberle: That痴 a tough question. Everyone knows how I feel about the World Juniors, but at the same time I was in junior when I played and that was kind of the next step with me. You know, Nuge has played a year in the NHL, a year in the World Championships. I don稚 know if it will be good for him, other than you get to represent Canada which is always amazing. I値l probably ask him in the next little bit what he wants to do and I知 sure the Oilers will too. I知 not even sure how he feels or even if they値l actually let him go. We値l see when the time comes.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:32 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Why would he want to go play Junior though? He's already got an NHL season under his belt, and it'd make no sense to play junior - even if on the world stage. Time to move on and maybe concentrate on the WC and not the WJC.

Hockey Canada had their chance with him for the WJC and they wiffed on it. Now he's beyond that level. I honestly think it would be detremental to his development at this point. Ebs made a point of this -

http://oilersnation.com/2012/11/28/c...-jordan-eberle
It'll be a good hockey experience for him even if the level of play is a step down from what he is accustomed to. From a professional perspective it won't hurt to ingratiate himself to Hockey Canada. From a financial perspective it won't hurt to increase his national profile when it comes time to sign endorsement contracts.

At the cost of a few weeks of AHL games it seems like a no brainer. If the lockout ends it is an entirely different story.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

Ahh yeah that true. Gotta love the PR/HR aspect to this crap. I wouldn't be surprised if you just hit the nail on the head.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:35 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
It'll be a good hockey experience for him even if the level of play is a step down from what he is accustomed to. From a professional perspective it won't hurt to ingratiate himself to Hockey Canada. From a financial perspective it won't hurt to increase his national profile when it comes time to sign endorsement contracts.

At the cost of a few weeks of AHL games it seems like a no brainer. If the lockout ends it is an entirely different story.
I think it's more like;

It's good for hockey canada as they can add a NHLer to their roster

It's good for the fans as they get to watch a better team

The only upside to this for RNH is that Hockey Canada might remember this when it comes to making the Olympic squad. As for RNH's career, this toruney does nothing for him.

And to be honest at this point I like him to continue playing with his NHL teammates in OKC.