HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Named Captain for Team Canada (WJC)

View Poll Results: Should the Oilers allow RNH to play in the WJHCs this year?
Yes 214 86.29%
No 34 13.71%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Hockey Canada had their chance with him for the WJC and they wiffed on it. Now he's beyond that level. I honestly think it would be detremental to his development at this point. Ebs made a point of this -
Yeah I can't remember who it was that tweeted yesterday but it was someone like Rishaug or Dregger that said that RNH wasn't snubbed by Team Canada that year he just wasn't ready. No the kid was snubbed because Hockey Canada has a ******* old boys club that says if you played the prior year and are eligible to play again you're in automatically.

Kadri was such a joke to have on that team in the 1st year let alone the second year.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:40 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah I can't remember who it was that tweeted yesterday but it was someone like Rishaug or Dregger that said that RNH wasn't snubbed by Team Canada that year he just wasn't ready. No the kid was snubbed because Hockey Canada has a ******* old boys club that says if you played the prior year and are eligible to play again you're in automatically.

Kadri was such a joke to have on that team in the 1st year let alone the second year.
Then RNH can counter with I'm too good to be there now

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Then RNH can counter with I'm too good to be there now
Yeah but like you said, it doesn't matter how he settles it with the media it's how he handles it with HC moving forward for his career.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:51 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Yeah but like you said, it doesn't matter how he settles it with the media it's how he handles it with HC moving forward for his career.
I think the odds of him making the next Olympics are slim to none to begin with, so really it would be about 2018 games and world championships going forward. I have to think if he wants to he can play in the WC and that HC would be stupid to say no.

I think the other key is if you start snubbing RNH because he snubs you, what does Hall, Eberle and Schultz do? Maybe they decide the WC are meaningless going forward.

Lots of angles to look at. Maybe what is needed is a sit down.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
The problem is he'll become public enemy #1 if he doesn't go, especially if healthy.

Feel bad for the kid because I can really see why he wouldn't want to go, but then again he snubs hockey canada now then there is a good chance he screws himself up going forward.
Then let the Oilers be the bad guys and say no. Have them say "Ryan is currently playing with his future teammates in OKC and we feel that for the betterment of our team's future that he is needed in OKC more so than in Russia".

They snubbed him before, if he wants to give them the middle finger right back and stay with his boys in OKC I'm fine with that.

12-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

If he is one of the games premier play making C's in the next couple years it shouldn't even be a question mark for the next Olympic team.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:56 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
I think the odds of him making the next Olympics are slim to none to begin with, so really it would be about 2018 games and world championships going forward. I have to think if he wants to he can play in the WC and that HC would be stupid to say no.

I think the other key is if you start snubbing RNH because he snubs you, what does Hall, Eberle and Schultz do? Maybe they decide the WC are meaningless going forward.

Lots of angles to look at. Maybe what is needed is a sit down.
In 2018 I am pretty sure he is going to be on the team (as sure as I am about anything in 2018 at least).

The payoff here will be if he gets off to a really good start when the NHL comes back and Hockey Canada feels he did them a solid, they may give him serious consideration for the 13th forward spot in Sochi.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:56 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Then let the Oilers be the bad guys and say no. Have them say "Ryan is currently playing with his future teammates in OKC and we feel that for the betterment of our team's future that he is needed in OKC more so than in Russia".

They snubbed him before, if he wants to give them the middle finger right back and stay with his boys in OKC I'm fine with that.
Well that would be the thing to do, but on the other hand would they? The Oilers seem to be tight knit with Hockey Canada and have gotten a favour or two from them in the past.

I leave it up to the kid, but I still think a kid in his 2nd year of PRO hockey is better off playing against men then against boys.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Bryanbryoil

Isn't Lowe involved in HC? If so then we've got an inside man there so it's not a big deal. Not to mention the idea is for us to be a playoff team in the future so it's Olympics or bust because the WC's means that your team missed the playoffs or were bounced early.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Toydarian

I hope RNH goes to the WJHC.

I really enjoy watching the tournament and being able to watch RNH play and dominate on an HD broadcast would be great. Sure it might be a selfish and shallow reason, but lets not forget, entertainment is the reason NHLers like RNH have careers. It probably won't be much competition for him, but it'll give him the opportunity to lead a high profile team. This is also not the first time an NHLer, playing in the AHL during a lockout, has played in the tournament (I don't think Bergeron is any worse off for playing in 05).

One "lost" month in a non-NHL season is negligible.

Toydarian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
In 2018 I am pretty sure he is going to be on the team (as sure as I am about anything in 2018 at least).

The payoff here will be if he gets off to a really good start when the NHL comes back and Hockey Canada feels he did them a solid, they may give him serious consideration for the 13th forward spot in Sochi.
I doubt it. There is far too many better centers/forwards. 13th forward probably goes to a Bergeron like player again. Someone that can go out and take key draws and get off the ice.

Only way he's making Sochi if he breaks out and becomes a 90 point player, even then wasn't Stamkos snubbed and he went on to score 50+ goals in 2010?

Old
12-03-2012, 01:03 PM
awesomo
HARD!

There is obviously pressure from hockey Canada to perform well this year considering the poor results last several

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
There is obviously pressure from hockey Canada to perform well this year considering the poor results last several
And when you leave guys like RNH off the team you get what you deserve. He shouldn't feel obligated to fix their **** ups IMO.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:06 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Bronze
Silver
Silver
Gold
Gold
Gold
Gold
Gold
Silver
Silver
Silver
Bronze
Bronze

Old
12-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

A few different TSN talking heads have said Nuge is a lock to be Canada's #1C.
If that's the case, put Mackinnon on his RW and a physical guy on their LW and let them go to work.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Bronze
Silver
Silver
Gold
Gold
Gold
Gold
Gold
Silver
Silver
Silver
Bronze
Bronze
Anything other than gold is seen as a failure IMO. Those are the lofty standards that are there, fairly or unfairly.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Well that would be the thing to do, but on the other hand would they? The Oilers seem to be tight knit with Hockey Canada and have gotten a favour or two from them in the past.

I leave it up to the kid, but I still think a kid in his 2nd year of PRO hockey is better off playing against men then against boys.
I agree with that statement wholeheartedly if it was a decision to play a whole year of junior or a whole year in the AHL. Since that isn't the decision I think it would be great for the kid to compete for a gold and then also compete for the calder cup if that's what he wants to do of course.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:12 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Anything other than gold is seen as a failure IMO. Those are the lofty standards that are there, fairly or unfairly.
Then it's been a few years of failure not several

Old
12-03-2012, 01:14 PM
GMofOilers

He will play for his country thats alot more honoring than playing some minor pro. I think it always stung him when he got cut at a 17 year old, so he wants to play for gold. Not many in the world get a chance and its a big thing to have. Sets him up well for the 2014 or 2018 team.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Then it's been a few years of failure not several
Well in he 13 years you posted more than 60% of them have been failure. That's definitely several.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
If he is one of the games premier play making C's in the next couple years it shouldn't even be a question mark for the next Olympic team.
Dude the next olympics is in February of 2014. Meaning that the team will be finalized in December of 2013. With there being a lockout this season and no one playing hockey it really hurts his chances. While he should likely get the camp invite in the summer he will really need to tear it up in the first couple months of next season(if there is one) to get noticed.

I thought he should have a good shot at the team for 2014 until I realized the timeline and the fact that there hasn't been any NHL hockey this year. It really hurts his chances all around. Since HC loves their old boys club I can't even see him surpassing a guy like Eric Staal even if RNH is going a PPG clip for the first couple months of the 2013 season.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:20 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Well in he 13 years you posted more than 60% of them have been failure. That's definitely several.
Or 37.5% if you look at the past 8 \

I think it's getting about time that people change the whole win or it's a loss. It's not the tourney it use to be.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Or 37.5% if you look at the past 8 \

I think it's getting about time that people change the whole win or it's a loss. It's not the tourney it use to be.
Oh for sure not, the talent around the world has really increased which is great for teh game of hockey all around. Which in turn makes the tournament even better. Last years Czech/Slovakia game was entertaining as hell to watch live.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:25 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Dude the next olympics is in February of 2014. Meaning that the team will be finalized in December of 2013. With there being a lockout this season and no one playing hockey it really hurts his chances. While he should likely get the camp invite in the summer he will really need to tear it up in the first couple months of next season(if there is one) to get noticed.

I thought he should have a good shot at the team for 2014 until I realized the timeline and the fact that there hasn't been any NHL hockey this year. It really hurts his chances all around. Since HC loves their old boys club I can't even see him surpassing a guy like Eric Staal even if RNH is going a PPG clip for the first couple months of the 2013 season.
Richards, Crosby, Stamkos, Bergeron, Spezza, Tavares, Seguin, Couture, Thornton, Toews, Getzlaf, Skinner etc..

Pretty deep down the middle, depending how they build this team they'll have a lot to choose from. Heck is Ryan O'Reilley your Bergeron this time around? Going to be quite the team.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:26 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Oh for sure not, the talent around the world has really increased which is great for teh game of hockey all around. Which in turn makes the tournament even better. Last years Czech/Slovakia game was entertaining as hell to watch live.
So if the talent is better as a whole, then it's probably time to drop the win or it's a loss mentality. Maybe it should be medal or it's a loss.