HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 11:20 AM
izzys

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I'm crazy? First I've heard of this

Three parts of his game? Leadership, first-pass, PK

Given how many games he's played, I'm thinking I'm not the only one who think he's pretty good.
he's first pass id horrible, leadership i dont think just due tot he fact that look at the heart that players give , he isnt have the leader harry or mickey was

and pk ill give u hes knows hes position well just is to weak in front of the net and weak on the board plus he doesnt win puck battles..

there is a reason why he wasnt draft or has even got a good look from a pro team....

im not hating on the kid i think he has done well for being drafted in the 13th round but at the end of the day u have to call a duck a duck....

im just giving u from my point of view and someone who has played hockey and now coaches a high level of hockey

Old
12-03-2012, 11:48 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzys View Post
he's first pass id horrible, leadership i dont think just due tot he fact that look at the heart that players give , he isnt have the leader harry or mickey was

and pk ill give u hes knows hes position well just is to weak in front of the net and weak on the board plus he doesnt win puck battles..

there is a reason why he wasnt draft or has even got a good look from a pro team....

im not hating on the kid i think he has done well for being drafted in the 13th round but at the end of the day u have to call a duck a duck....

im just giving u from my point of view and someone who has played hockey and now coaches a high level of hockey
I'm not comparing him to Mickey or Harry, given I'm not in the room. When the team chooses him as the C, that says something to me, though.

How do you know he hasn't had a look from pro teams? Last I heard, he was still considering the pros next year.

When I need two guys out there for a major situation, he's one I'm calling on, no question about it.

He's a 15th round pick.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Ottomatic

Who else would get the C? Posa gets it by default given our lack of vets on this team. He's a solid kid, not preachy from what I hear, and was around for the second Mem Cup and played with those guys so it made sense as well, but I don't think he commands the dressing room or anything like that.

On ice he's a solid bottom pair guy on a good team, second PK unit type.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:10 PM
RayzorIsDull

Have to agree Izzy, Posa is ok but he's not a top pairing guy and shouldn't be getting as many minutes as he has been. Murphy, Sieloff, Sanvido and Ebert should be your top 4, Posa should be on the last pairing. The more Posa plays the more you see the warts in his game. For instance on Thursday night was a horrible performance by him, watch him against Athanasiou and Posa was just a pylon. Posa saw Athanasiou coming 40 feet away and never moved an inch. Would be nice if they could move him but I doubt any contender has interest in Posa. Furthermore I guess you could say they have the worst 1st line in the league because I couldn't even tell you what the 1st line is with how much things get juggled and the inconsistency of players. I guess you could start with Rychel but Vail, Ho-Sang they all flip flop.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:16 PM
spits2timechamps

Quote:

Given how many games he's played, I'm thinking I'm not the only one who think he's pretty good.
Izzys, You might as well tie me up in a straight jacket and ship me out on top of a purple elephant in the sky cause I think Posa is our best defencemen bar none. Here are my points.

1) If you watch the games Posa is the go-to-guy to handle the puck out of the defensive zone and because of this you will see some giveways obviously. Look at players like Ebert and Cundari and Ellis. They carried the puck all the time and yes even Ellis lost the puck on occasion.

2) He has good vision where you rarely see him get picked off or his blocked.

3)If he looses the puck he's going to give you 150% to get back to cover his mistake. Other guys I could mention are the last one back.

4) Doesn't hurt that he's an above average skater

5) Unlike Seiloff he doesn't hit hard but has hit on occasion. He picks his spots and unlike Seiloff he doesn't get himself out of position to make the big hit.

6) The "C" is given to a player that examplifies Leadership, is great in the locker room, Who provides an example to the other players through his play. This Honour was given to Mickey, Ellis, Harry for the last 3 and is awarded by the coach. If you think he doesn't have leadership then maybe you should give a complaint letter to Boughner.

Hey look at that I gave 6 examples

Old
12-03-2012, 12:19 PM
jughead42

Quote:

I have no beef with Posa myself, he's a pretty solid player. It's pretty obvious to anybody watching the Spitfires play that he's one of their better defencemen. I think maybe somebody is hung up on the fact he's a smaller late round OHL pick? Who knows.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:25 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
ur crazy .... i dont get what everyone see's in posa,

can you name me 3 parts of hes game he is better then good at ?

i dont even want u to name 5 which u could name 5 for any top pairing in the ohl
This is pretty rich. Most people can run off names of D without batting an eye that are better than Posa. Hamilton, DeMelo, Percy, Finn, Levi, Nurse, Sproul, Sieloff, Harrington, Maataa, Hughes, everybody on D for Owen Sound, Connor and Ryan Murphy, Ceci, Petgrave, Pelech, Koekkoekk I am bored now so I will stop.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

One thing to keep an eye on Soo have fired Stapleton and named Sheldon Keefe head coach, save the Quinte comments and Frost jokes for later. Keefe will run a high paced system, aggressive and put pressure on the D. Soo and Erie have both made coaching changes in less than a week, Soo has a fair bit of talent and with how Keefe has been success in Pembroke it wouldn't be surprising if guys like Cousins, Fritsch, Tolchinsky, McCann took off and had success. Erie it might be too late but a new coach could get a slight bump of success. Looks like Windsor will be in a dog fight for that final playoff spot. It would help Windsor if Saginaw decides to move Trocheck, I doubt you see Sarnia sell they have a nice 6 point bulge on Windsor, Plymouth has struggled but still winning at a 61% clip and they will make moves. The ball is in your court Warren.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:37 PM
youngblood10

I'm not going to run down Posa, but he's a good reliable complementary or depth player on a contending team. That's not a knock on him by any means.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:48 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I have no beef with Posa myself, he's a pretty solid player. It's pretty obvious to anybody watching the Spitfires play that he's one of their better defencemen. I think maybe somebody is hung up on the fact he's a smaller late round OHL pick? Who knows.
I agree with most of this. I think there's a lot more thinking with your heart and not with your head when people talk about Posa. You could make a case of Duininck and Trojanovic both being better than Posa and those are guys the Spits traded away.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:52 PM
youngblood10

I agree Rayzor, Keefe might have more skeletons in his closet then a grave yard but he'll squeeze every ounce out of that Hounds line up. If the Spits don't start cutting the fat soon they'll be on the outside looking in when it's all over. Big disappointment for me as I expected much more from this team.

The one problem I see in changing the culture around the team is that the team's poster boy isn't going anywhere and his me first play and lack of desire to do anything that doesn't result in a goal for himself with no consequences from the coaching staff is in complete contrary of what made the rebirth of the Spitfires so successful. Then again look at the coaching staff it's more about giving family a job then winning, so it goes hand in hand.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:17 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
I agree Rayzor, Keefe might have more skeletons in his closet then a grave yard but he'll squeeze every ounce out of that Hounds line up. If the Spits don't start cutting the fat soon they'll be on the outside looking in when it's all over. Big disappointment for me as I expected much more from this team.

The one problem I see in changing the culture around the team is that the team's poster boy isn't going anywhere and his me first play and lack of desire to do anything that doesn't result in a goal for himself with no consequences from the coaching staff is in complete contrary of what made the rebirth of the Spitfires so successful. Then again look at the coaching staff it's more about giving family a job then winning, so it goes hand in hand.
I agree with what you're trying to say. I think what's disappointing is that the team this year after having been beatdown last year it seems like a lot of players didn't take it personally and have a chip on their shoulder. I won't go as far to criticize Kerby but I don't see how the Kerby Rychel era will end well in Windsor. If you look at the Knights and the Hunter boys that ended in triumph partly because it wasn't Dylan's team. There were certainly more talented guys than Dylan eg. Perry, Schremp, Bolland, Fritsche, Syvret. I don't envy Kerby because it's certainly not easy but this is what he wanted or his dad wanted so you have to deal with it. Very difficult though when you're supposed to be the best player on the team and the team isn't that good.

You can tell things aren't great when Boughner laments their play in victory, for most of the game he always has his arms crossed behind the bench the body language is not good.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Spitsfan67*

Haha Murphy isn't better then Posa right now I laughed out load when I saw that, he's way better then Devlin, Bateman, Bowen...Ebert,Posa and Sieloff is way ahead of him, Murphy has taken 3 stupid penaltys since being here and I've seen him do a couple turnovers in are zone, I do think he will be better then Posa but right now he's defenitly not, Posada is are second best Defensive Defensman, does he make some mistakes sure he does but very limited compared to some players on this team he's a guy you can count on, and he give 120% every shift.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:39 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I agree with what you're trying to say. I think what's disappointing is that the team this year after having been beatdown last year it seems like a lot of players didn't take it personally and have a chip on their shoulder. I won't go as far to criticize Kerby but I don't see how the Kerby Rychel era will end well in Windsor. If you look at the Knights and the Hunter boys that ended in triumph partly because it wasn't Dylan's team. There were certainly more talented guys than Dylan eg. Perry, Schremp, Bolland, Fritsche, Syvret. I don't envy Kerby because it's certainly not easy but this is what he wanted or his dad wanted so you have to deal with it. Very difficult though when you're supposed to be the best player on the team and the team isn't that good.

You can tell things aren't great when Boughner laments their play in victory, for most of the game he always has his arms crossed behind the bench the body language is not good.
I don't really care if his Dad owns the team or not, if the effort matched the accolades. He should be the hardest working player every shift, after all it's HIS family business. But it doesn't, it's all an entitlement attitude.

The Hunters bring in kin but they work their tales off to became real leaders.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:30 PM
KyGuy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spits2timechamps View Post
Izzys, You might as well tie me up in a straight jacket and ship me out on top of a purple elephant in the sky cause I think Posa is our best defencemen bar none. Here are my points.

1) If you watch the games Posa is the go-to-guy to handle the puck out of the defensive zone and because of this you will see some giveways obviously. Look at players like Ebert and Cundari and Ellis. They carried the puck all the time and yes even Ellis lost the puck on occasion.

2) He has good vision where you rarely see him get picked off or his blocked.

3)If he looses the puck he's going to give you 150% to get back to cover his mistake. Other guys I could mention are the last one back.

4) Doesn't hurt that he's an above average skater

5) Unlike Seiloff he doesn't hit hard but has hit on occasion. He picks his spots and unlike Seiloff he doesn't get himself out of position to make the big hit.

6) The "C" is given to a player that examplifies Leadership, is great in the locker room, Who provides an example to the other players through his play. This Honour was given to Mickey, Ellis, Harry for the last 3 and is awarded by the coach. If you think he doesn't have leadership then maybe you should give a complaint letter to Boughner.

Hey look at that I gave 6 examples
Very good 6 points Don't forget a 7th. Posa goes to almost ALL community events. He went to my school for a visit and brought cupcakes and had lunch with us. Everytime anyone asks for a picture he would give a huge grin. He would talk to younger children and joke around with everyone. A great guy to be around. Remember, a captain is a leader on AND off the ice. Most people don't see his off ice personality, which you leave you wondering why he was captain. I tell ya, Posa would do anything for the team. Not only that, but he has experience of going through picked VERY late and working hard to make it, and has the experience of winning the memorial cup.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:01 PM
izzys

im just saying what i saw, and how i feel

but spits2timechamps those 6 things i think may 2 r right

im not hating on posa at all out side of hockey he is a great kid ,,, he even came out with vail and cullen to my practice with my kids ...

but i think posa as a hockey player is way over vauled

im just being real thats all

Old
12-03-2012, 04:31 PM
KyGuy9

Quote:
im just saying what i saw, and how i feel

but spits2timechamps those 6 things i think may 2 r right

im not hating on posa at all out side of hockey he is a great kid ,,, he even came out with vail and cullen to my practice with my kids ...

but i think posa as a hockey player is way over vauled

Well, you are entitle to your own opinion, because I think almost the complete opposite. Over valued? How? I don't see any teams running up to Windsor offering a crazy package for Posa. I think what you are trying to say is People think Posa is awesome while you think he is just average ON THE ICE, even though you think he is a great leader OFF the ice? Correct me if i'm wrong, but that's what I'm getting. If uou are talking about Posa being overrated as captain, leadership, then I completey don't agree.

I would like to hear which reasons spits2timechamps gave are incorrect?

Old
12-03-2012, 05:05 PM
izzys

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGuy9 View Post
Well, you are entitle to your own opinion, because I think almost the complete opposite. Over valued? How? I don't see any teams running up to Windsor offering a crazy package for Posa. I think what you are trying to say is People think Posa is awesome while you think he is just average ON THE ICE, even though you think he is a great leader OFF the ice? Correct me if i'm wrong, but that's what I'm getting. If uou are talking about Posa being overrated as captain, leadership, then I completey don't agree.

I would like to hear which reasons spits2timechamps gave are incorrect?
over vauled in the eyes on windsor fans ( is what i meant )

im talking about him as a player hes not as good as everyone makes him out to be ,,,, hes first pass in hes on zone is bad

you make is sound like im saying hes the worst d-man in the league lol ..... im not saying that .... what im saying he get way to much ice time for what hes abilities r

i would never say anything about him not having heart ... he does give it 150% but my question is, do u want a guy that has to give 150% all the time to get the puck back becuase he is messing up with it or would u have a guy that is good with the puck and doesnt mess up and doesnt have to give 150% to get it back ?

im just asking if u break down that spit with a fine comb

do u like how they r made up ? and dont be a fan of the spits when u do this be a hockey fan !

Old
12-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
over vauled in the eyes on windsor fans ( is what i meant )

im talking about him as a player hes not as good as everyone makes him out to be ,,,, hes first pass in hes on zone is bad

you make is sound like im saying hes the worst d-man in the league lol ..... im not saying that .... what im saying he get way to much ice time for what hes abilities r

i would never say anything about him not having heart ... he does give it 150% but my question is, do u want a guy that has to give 150% all the time to get the puck back becuase he is messing up with it or would u have a guy that is good with the puck and doesnt mess up and doesnt have to give 150% to get it back ?

im just asking if u break down that spit with a fine comb

do u like how they r made up ? and dont be a fan of the spits when u do this be a hockey fan !
Why no I don't like the way the roster is made up at all I'm pretty sure no spitfire fan really is right now, But Posa is not the problem he's playing solid for the spits and he's doing his role.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
As opposed to what?

Is Posa an all-star? No. Is he extremely reliable? Yes. He's the unsung hero of this team and there's a reason he's still on the squad. If you're looking for big numbers or flashy defence, go talk to Dougie Hamilton or something. If you want reliability, Saverio is your guy.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:07 PM
punch1943

Quote:
As opposed to what?

Is Posa an all-star? No. Is he extremely reliable? Yes. He's the unsung hero of this team and there's a reason he's still on the squad. If you're looking for big numbers or flashy defence, go talk to Dougie Hamilton or something. If you want reliability, Saverio is your guy.
If Posa had a twin brother that the Spits could get their hands on their defense would be almost exactly what I've been preaching about. IMHO you need a defensive 1st guy on each of the 3 sets of d-men. Fix the defensive part of the game and the offense will sort itself out.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Hawks3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Domi will stick up for himself at times, althou he doesnt scrap and Im ok with that. You want HoSang to scrap? I like talented guys thatll show some jam, try not to be intimidated, use a slash once in a while. Not condoning running guys guys from behind, head shots ect... but you gotta let em know your not too soft.
His last 3 goals have come froma total of about 12 ft. LAst 2 beating Pedan to the areas to score. He does certainly go to the blue ice, heavy traffic spots, isnt afarid of contact ect.. Seen him play live 50 or so times and on the tube just as much so I think its a big enough sample size.

SO by your answer ( slagging Domi) and non response to a ? about a kid Ive not seen much can I hazard to guess your answer is NO HoSang doesnt or did ya just leave that part out?

Id take Ma Jeans over Tie anyday lol but great nickname. Credit where its due, that is funny
Ho-Sang is not physical at all I just hope he keeps his head up, he only weighs around 155lbs, he is normally the brunt of any body contact. He will need someone to stickup for him eg. Emerson Clarke. Unless he grows he will need protection as he gets better.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:15 AM
SpItFiReZ

Seiloff makes the US WJC preliminary roster and is likely on the team.

Draft picks: Riley Barber and Blake Pietila also make the preliminary roster.

No one for any other team I believe as Pavelka turned down being the 3rd goalie.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Ottomatic

Pavelka not playing in the tourney has got to suck for Kuchmey. That would have been his chance for some playing time with the Spits.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:28 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
Seiloff makes the US WJC preliminary roster and is likely on the team.

Draft picks: Riley Barber and Blake Pietila also make the preliminary roster.

No one for any other team I believe as Pavelka turned down being the 3rd goalie.
The USA team looks interesting. Nobody can whine about a lack of CHL or OHL players on it. There are 9 on the list of 27, 8 if you don't include JT Miller who's in the AHL. It will be weird to see Phil Housley behind the bench since I saw him play in the NHL when I was a teenager.

Closed Thread