HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft) - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 08:02 AM
XO
Valar Morghulis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Only one goal, how disappointing, MacKinnon and Drouin score at least 2 per game.
Come on

Old
12-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
I don't think Finnish junior program is terrible. It is definitely better than Canada's.
Quote:
Canada's junior system may be the best in quantity but not in quality. Canada has about 5,000 hockey rinks and about 700,000 registered hockey players. That is about ten times more than Finland and Russia (Russia has surprisinly miniscule hockey resources for a big country).
Were you not aware that out of all NHL draftees each year, there are approximately ten times as many Canadian players as there are Finnish (and Russian) players, or did you intentionally leave it unmentioned since it did not suit your outlandish argument?

Old
12-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creeper View Post
Were you not aware that out of all NHL draftees each year, there are approximately ten times as many Canadian players as there are Finnish (and Russian) players, or did you intentionally leave it unmentioned since it did not suit your outlandish argument?
The number of NHL draftees is irrelevant. The NHL is a North American league. Of course it will always draft more players from North America.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
The number of NHL draftees is irrelevant. The NHL is a North American league. Of course it will always draft more players from North America.
It's not irrelevant. The NHL is open for the European players as well and they are as eligible for the NHL draft as the Canadian players. Sure there might still exist bias towards the North American players since their style is often better suited for North American game, but the fact that Canadian players dominate the NHL draft year in and year out speaks volumes for the high talent level produced by the Canadian junior system.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/sp...stered-players

One can't help but feel if other countries had as many players registered, they'd likely be better than the almighty Canada.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:35 PM
jonlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/sp...stered-players

One can't help but feel if other countries had as many players registered, they'd likely be better than the almighty Canada.
Belarus, Kazakhstan and Ukraine probably have atleast 10* the amount of players listed! Latvia and Slovenia also have a lot more than on that list. Slovakias 12k also seems low. I`m not buying the list for Eastern Europe countries!

Old
12-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
Belarus, Kazakhstan and Ukraine probably have atleast 10* the amount of players listed! Latvia and Slovenia also have a lot more than on that list. Slovakias 12k also seems low. I`m not buying the list for Eastern Europe countries!
Source?

Old
12-03-2012, 02:01 PM
jonlin

Quote:
I am not claiming anything, I think it's possible though. Thus I said there might exist such a bias. Do you think it's absolutely out of the realm of possibility?
NHL scouts have watched the NA-born kids play since midgets. It`s in no way possible that European players that arent elite-lvl talent would be on the same line as a NA-born of the same lvl. Why do u think NHL:s 3rd and 4th liners are mostly filled with NA-born players?

Old
12-04-2012, 07:40 AM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Reasons why more NA players are drafted is because only stars or good players come to the NHL. Your run of the mill 3rd liner stays in Russia with his family and makes the same money, instead of disrupting everything. That's why more NA are drafted. But it is laughable that people are saying canadas junior program isn't as good as anyone elses because every wjc canada dominates, every olympics canada has the best players, every team is scared of ? Yes canada.
Same goes for the states in basketball, or baseball or football, they have the best players, from jr to sr they are the best.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Hagged

Also with it's junior depth Canada could ice 10 teams in WJC which would still win a team like Finland. The more you have players within the sport the bigger your talent pool is, the more it produces good players. The quality of junior programs is secondary to the impact of the size of talent pool.

Old
12-04-2012, 04:40 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Also with it's junior depth Canada could ice 10 teams in WJC which would still win a team like Finland. The more you have players within the sport the bigger your talent pool is, the more it produces good players. The quality of junior programs is secondary to the impact of the size of talent pool.
At the junior level I think thats an overstatement. Senior level many more establish themselves but 10th team would be pretty horrible, certainly not close to Finlands level.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:36 PM
EkiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
At the junior level I think thats an overstatement. Senior level many more establish themselves but 10th team would be pretty horrible, certainly not close to Finlands level.
So Canada can ice only 9 better senior teams than Finland? I'm not impressed..

Old
12-05-2012, 09:10 AM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EkiE View Post
So Canada can ice only 9 better senior teams than Finland? I'm not impressed..
I didn't mean that I meant there is alot more depth at the senior level than the junior level. Should be the same for every country but even more so Canada.

Old
12-05-2012, 12:18 PM
RaskY
GLG

Barkov missed penalty shot against Anders Lindbäck in the first period.

"It was my own fault. You can't beat swedish goalie with a swedish deke. Must remember that in future." -Sasha after the first period.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:24 AM
Finnpin

What is also impressive in Barkov's case that it's hard to get points and be productive in SM-Liiga. So many teams play strong defensive game as a unit and uses trap. You have to really work hard to get your name in the scoreboard. Just ask Corey Locke.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10314

Old
12-07-2012, 03:33 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Barkov is an ethnic Russian since both of his parents are ethnic Russians. Same for Leo Komarov.
So.

Soccer superstar Zlatan Ibrahimović, both his parents aren't swedish but he was born in Sweden and I guess everybody in Sweden takes him as a Swede and as their national treasure.

In my opinion Barkov is as Finnish as Ibrahimovic is Swedish.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:08 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
So.

Soccer superstar Zlatan Ibrahimović, both his parents aren't swedish but he was born in Sweden and I guess everybody in Sweden takes him as a Swede and as their national treasure.

In my opinion Barkov is as Finnish as Ibrahimovic is Swedish.
Not everybody sadly, my yes most people.
I'd say if he considers himself Finnish then I would do the same.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

folks any update along with a stream possibly for a game in the near future?

12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Not everybody sadly, my yes most people.
I'd say if he considers himself Finnish then I would do the same.
Barkov has said by himself, he feels nothing else but being a Finn. Born in Finland, all friends are Finnish.

But his hockey vision is heavily Russian-influenced with some Finnish adjustments, and that comes from his home coach, Russian dad, who was a "product" of the Sovjet system. Barkov senior was very near what Igor Larionov was as a hockeyplayer.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Oan

Brilliant pass from Barkov on pp, but Connolly can't bury it...

Old
12-08-2012, 11:27 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Stream?

Old
12-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Oan

Nah, bought one game ticket from UrhoTv, ridiculous price though, but just wanted to see the quality and test it anyway.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:06 PM
heksagon

Quote:
So has Barkov been playing well despite being scoreless in the last few games?

Old
12-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Oan

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
So has Barkov been playing well despite being scoreless in the last few games?
At least in this game he has been quite strong, won battles in the corners etc. Just unlucky I guess, since he has been scoreless although his linemates have scored.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:11 PM
thomast

Barkov updated measurements:

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/306/IHM3060FIN_32E_1_0.pdf

6'3/190cm
209lbs/95kg

Pretty big kid for couple months over 17 year old. His height growing have been quite slow in recent year so projecting him at 6'4 would be quite accurate. Barkov has only touched the surface of his potential physical developement according to his personal trainer who is former stanley cup champion Ville Nieminen. Despite he is outpowering clear majority of men at FEL he seems to have potential to be quite much stronger.

Would too much muscle benefit his game? If he would be 230-240 physical beast would it be good?

I would like to see him as 6'4 220-225lbs in the future with excellent skating(doubt that he ever reaches elite level but tier below that is possible), with good mobility on every direction, great balance and explosiveness. Too big muscles tend to be more injury prone, needs more rest and it's added weight to carry on when he skates.

Barkov is very lean kid. He will most likely end up as 6'4 230+lbs and would have similar strength and balance as Jagr and i'm not kidding... He is that strong. Barkov Sr had excellent balance and was almost impossible to knock off from the puck.

Barkov is right now very underrated skater. When he skates his skating position is excellent, stride is long and smooth and once he get into full speed he is fast. Difference between this and last year is very very big. Imagine him after next offseason when he has 1 year more experience of his body and work as hard at this offseason on his leg strength it's matter of time that he reaches excellent level of skating. If we compare him to Granlund at his draft year Barkov is faster and better skater than Granlund(5'10 176lbs) was and he's 6'3 209lbs. I would say that Barkov is definetly great skater for his size.

Barkov has just very high potential and ceiling. Figure out an 6'4 220-240 whos great skater, very very hard to knock off the puck, is hungry for garbage goals and has nose for net(try to defend against him infront of net at the rebounds with that much strength, size and will that he posesses), is elite passer and has elite vision, has russian smooth quick hands in the tight and can snipe it to top corner. Just complete offensive package.

Not to forget his defensive game which is just as complete and as amazing.

I'm not comparing him to other prospects because i'm obviously biased but i'm trying to open eyes for NA posters that Barkov is an special prospect for european standards.

He will be high draft pick no doubt about it. Why do i think so?

In a nutshell:
-Very high upside/ceiling
-No real weaknesses in his game but alot of elite/excellent qualities.
-Instant income for the team and is definetly NHL-ready by next october despite of being one of the youngest prospects for this draft.
-Very low risk/Very high win pick. Definetly one of the safest pick of this draft.
-Already played against men for 2 years by next october and now against NHLers because lockout makes it possible. Has outplayed many of the NHL players.
-Excellent at PK, PP, SO. Great two-way game. Can play at every situation in the game. So the team get already polished player who has been #1 center for pro team logging about 20minutes per game playing in every situation and crucial parts of the game.
-Plays already NA style game and has nose for net. Very quick head and hands added to that body. He'll be closer to goal in small rink. I would say that he would benefit playing on small rink. Looked pretty good for 16 year old at WJC in a small rink.

I don't see any reasons that why he isn't an high pick for this draft. There might be better prospects than him at the draft but i'm just happy that there is Barkov calibre of prospect out from Finland. Barkov could be very well the best player of this draft in the future.

Last edited by thomast: 12-10-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Closed Thread