HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Other Chicago Sports/General Sports Thread - Cubs Sign Jackson, Villanueva

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 12:38 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Who knows.... maybe they're scouting out a potential expansion location.

I kid, I kid. I think they just rotate it every once in a while.
I know you're just joking, but the SE in general could use another team... I just don't know if there is a city that could support one. I have my doubts with Nashville, with Vandy, the Preds, and the Titans already there. Another pro team would be pushing it... Charlotte might be the next best bet. That city is growing pretty quickly. Next closest team to Atlanta might be the Cardinals, unless I'm having a brain fart...

Old
12-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
Vancouver or Portland would be cool. Imagine the views.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:44 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I couldn't be happier with the way things are going and I am especially pleased with the Cubs aggressiveness this offseason. I heard they are talking to McCarthy. This team has a real chance at being good in 2013. Get McCarthy, a couple solid bats, one at third, one in the OF and we've got a good team here.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:45 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Vancouver or Portland would be cool. Imagine the views.
Hipsters. Everywhere. It'd be like the Loyola area, only much bigger and hipper.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:46 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I couldn't be happier with the way things are going and I am especially pleased with the Cubs aggressiveness this offseason. I heard they are talking to McCarthy. This team has a real chance at being good in 2013. Get McCarthy, a couple solid bats, one at third, one in the OF and we've got a good team here.
75-80 wins

Still can't depend on them to hit consistently with this lineup.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
I wonder how much of this stuff is true and how much agents are using Cubs rumored interest to drive up prices. I've heard they are looking at Bourn and McCarthy....given what they've done so far this off season, I can't see them signing either.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:49 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I wonder how much of this stuff is true and how much agents are using Cubs rumored interest to drive up prices. I've heard they are looking at Bourn and McCarthy....given what they've done so far this off season, I can't see them signing either.
Bourn doesn't make any sense at all... McCarthy makes a little, though.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:54 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Bourn would be a shocker, I agree it is probably just the agents. McCarthy, yeah, I guess we have a full rotation but Garza and Baker are coming off injuries, McCarthy is injury prone, and you can never have enough starters as Theo and Hoyer have always said. I don't see any reason why each of the 6 guys that would be in our rotation wouldn't make at least 20 starts.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:04 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I could see them luring him by saying that he'd be auditioning for a guaranteed chance in the playoffs next season, when he'd be much more wanted by teams with needs. Seems like that's a new ploy for teams now.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:13 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
75-80 wins

Still can't depend on them to hit consistently with this lineup.
That's where I'd project them too. That being said, 87 wins was enough to play in the wild card round. A little luck and that could be us.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:15 PM
RayP

Quote:
I could see them luring him by saying that he'd be auditioning for a guaranteed chance in the playoffs next season, when he'd be much more wanted by teams with needs. Seems like that's a new ploy for teams now.

I don't think I follow what you're saying here...

Old
12-03-2012, 01:16 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
I know you're just joking, but the SE in general could use another team... I just don't know if there is a city that could support one. I have my doubts with Nashville, with Vandy, the Preds, and the Titans already there. Another pro team would be pushing it... Charlotte might be the next best bet. That city is growing pretty quickly. Next closest team to Atlanta might be the Cardinals, unless I'm having a brain fart...
My honest guess is that MLB's hitlist for relocation/expansion (not including teams likely locating from one city to another in the same metro area, like the A's) is the following....

1) Charlotte, NC
2) Portland, OR
3) Nashville, TN
And then there's probably a gulf after that for who else MLB might think about, such as Hampton Roads, VA, Salt Lake City, Sacramento, or even a return to Montreal. Dollars to donuts, it'll be one of the three locations above that gets a team first, second, and probably third.

I think we'll see the Carolina Rays within the next decade or so, but beyond that not thinking anything's going to change with the face of MLB's franchises.

And Nashville might be a good option for the MLB for the simple fact that an MLB team there would be effectively unopposed during the summer.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 12-03-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old
12-03-2012, 01:21 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
+1, is he trying to say we'd be more appealing to McCarthy because we could trade him to a playoff team?

Old
12-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
It makes sense from the perspective that they desperately need a leadoff guy and a centerfielder for the next 3-4 years. He'd fill both of those roles.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:24 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
My honest guess is that MLB's hitlist for relocation/expansion (not including teams likely locating from one city to another in the same metro area, like the A's) is the following....

1) Charlotte, NC
2) Portland, OR
3) Nashville, TN
And then there's probably a gulf after that for who else MLB might think about, such as Hampton Roads, VA, Salt Lake City, Sacramento, or even a return to Montreal. Dollars to donuts, it'll be one of the three locations above that gets a team first, second, and probably third.

I think we'll see the Carolina Rays within the next decade or so, but beyond that not thinking anything's going to change with the face of MLB's franchises.

And Nashville might be a good option for the MLB for the simple fact that an MLB team there would be effectively unopposed during the summer.
Not sure about Nashville, they might be a bit too close to Cincinnati and St. Louis. Charlotte makes a lot of sense, though. Bigger population and a growing economy.

Portland just doesn't seem like a city that would have a baseball team to me.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:25 PM
RayP

Quote:
+1, is he trying to say we'd be more appealing to McCarthy because we could trade him to a playoff team?
Yeah, I don't get it either... If you're selling point to a player is "Hey, we can trade you at the deadline to a contender!" then I don't think you're going to get many FAs at all with that pitch, aside from maybe a guy coming off a big time injury.

Quote:
It makes sense from the perspective that they desperately need a leadoff guy and a centerfielder for the next 3-4 years. He'd fill both of those roles.
If you look at it strictly as in what he offers talent wise, then yes. Factor in a 9 digit contract, and get him as far away from Chicago as you can.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:30 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
If you look at it strictly as in what he offers talent wise, then yes. Factor in a 9 digit contract, and get him as far away from Chicago as you can.
Bourn is a good player and I've seen a lot of stupid contracts in my time but I simply cannot believe he is going to get 100M or even 90M. That would have to take the cake, probably worse than the Mike Hampton deal. Without speed, you might not even want to start Bourn, let alone pay him as one your top guys. And I don't care how hard the guy works out or whatever, that speed has a shelf life of about 4-5 more years at most and that is without any leg injuries. Most likely, there will be some.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Illinihockey

I'd be stunned if Bourn gets a 9 figure deal. Just no way. He won't get the years you need to push a contract that high. Max I could see him getting 5 years $90 mil (which is still absurd).

Old
12-03-2012, 01:32 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Not sure about Nashville, they might be a bit too close to Cincinnati and St. Louis. Charlotte makes a lot of sense, though. Bigger population and a growing economy.

Portland just doesn't seem like a city that would have a baseball team to me.
Tennessee and most of Kentucky have always been sort of ancillary markets between the Cards, Reds, and Braves that have only really been minutely tapped as a result by Major League Baseball. Especially given the relative popularity of the sport with their minor league and collegiate history in that area, an MLB team probably would be a good middle-of-the-road franchise if put in Nashville, Memphis, or even Louisville, though from a wealth and distance from other teams' standpoint, Nashville is head and shoulders above the other two (and only one will ever get a team).

And Portland is mostly a good fit as well, but they probably took a hit by booting out the PCL Beavers in favor of an MLS franchise a couple years back. The Carolinas combined are undoubtedly the largest untapped market left for Major League Baseball, though. Even though the Charlotte area would be only roughly mid-sized, the combined North and South Carolina TV market, which a Charlotte-based team would assuredly have rights to even if the Braves complained, would be even larger than markets like Ohio, Illinois, and Florida from a pure population standpoint. An obvious TV contract for 14 million (N. & S.) Carolinians would be pretty damn huge.

For reference, here's what MLB mostly considers each franchises' effective TV market:

Old
12-03-2012, 01:33 PM
RayP

We'll see. He's been demanding it from day 1. The Giants are heavily interested, and have never had an issue with horribly overpaying a FA. Wouldn't shock me if they gave him 6/100M.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
We'll see. He's been demanding it from day 1. The Giants are heavily interested, and have never had an issue with horribly overpaying a FA. Wouldn't shock me if they gave him 6/100M.
I don't know but are there any guys in baseball with $100 mil contracts that have a sub .715 career OPS?

Old
12-03-2012, 01:38 PM
RayP

Quote:
I don't know but are there any guys in baseball with $100 mil contracts that have a sub .715 career OPS?
Good question. Would love to know the lowest OPS for a 100M+ contract... Only guy that came to mind was Werth, but his OBP was far better than I thought. 80+ walks in his final year in Philly.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:42 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Good question. Would love to know the lowest OPS for a 100M+ contract... Only guy that came to mind was Werth, but his OBP was far better than I thought. 80+ walks in his final year in Philly.
Jose Reyes was the first guy that came to my mind and he is at .782

Old
12-03-2012, 02:06 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Basically if he doesn't get what he wants in the FA market, he can come to the Cubs and if he plays well, they'll flip him to someone that really needs him for the playoff push. Basically a hired goon for a couple months

Old
12-03-2012, 02:10 PM
RayP

Quote:
Basically if he doesn't get what he wants in the FA market, he can come to the Cubs and if he plays well, they'll flip him to someone that really needs him for the playoff push. Basically a hired goon for a couple months
Ok, so I did follow you correctly the first time... Just wanted to be sure.

You'll never bring in anyone worth a damn with a method like that. Like I said a few posts ago, only kind of guys you'd get to that method are guys coming off serious injuries.

Closed Thread