HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Who would the Jets protect in an expansion draft?

Old
12-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Who would the Jets protect in an expansion draft?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-exp...0232--nhl.html

"Back then, the league’s 28 teams were presented with a choice: protect one goalie, five defensemen and nine forwards or protect two goalies, three defensemen and seven forwards."

(taken from the Islanders board)

Let's have a little fun with our boring layoff from the NHL. Following the above criteria, who would you protect on the Jets? Players with less than 10 game of NHL experience don't need to be protected ie. Scheifele, Postma, Klingberg...

Last edited by Paradise: 12-03-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:18 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-exp...0232--nhl.html

"Back then, the league’s 28 teams were presented with a choice: protect one goalie, five defensemen and nine forwards or protect two goalies, three defensemen and seven forwards."

(taken from the Islanders board)

Let's have a little fun with our boring layoff from the NHL. Following the above criteria, who would you protect on the Jets? Players with less than 10 game of NHL experience don't need to be protected ie. Scheifele, Postma, Klingberg...
NOT MY CHOICES (but ones projected on the article):

Winnipeg Jets (one goalie)
Forwards: Antropov, Burmistrov, Jokinen, Kane, Ladd, Little, Slater, Wellwood, Wheeler
Defensemen: Bogosian, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Hainsey, Stuart
Goalies: Pavelec

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:27 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
NOT MY CHOICES (but ones projected on the article):

Winnipeg Jets (one goalie)
Forwards: Antropov, Burmistrov, Jokinen, Kane, Ladd, Little, Slater, Wellwood, Wheeler
Defensemen: Bogosian, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Hainsey, Stuart
Who would you choose?

Mine would stay the same, except I might choose Cormier over Wellwood. I also like Machacek, but I think he wouldn't get picked by one of the expansion teams, so I'd leave him exposed.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:28 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Is it worth protecting people who are going to be UFA next season? Probably not... especially if there is no season this year....
Let's say everyone we have on roster can be re-signed (so no fears of UFA) and the over pricers (Hainsey + Antro) accept normalized contracts... then its the bottom feeders you get rid of since the rest can easily be picked up in the draft I guess...

Do we have any "solid" prospects that pass that 10gp threshold? Only ones I would be concerned at all about is Scheifele, Postma and Klingberg... and they are all fine. Maxwell, Machacek and company are all replaceable via the draft.

Winnipeg Jets
Forwards:
Burmistrov, Jokinen, Kane, Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Ponikarovsky, Antropov, Wellwood
Defensemen:
Bogosian, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Hainsey, Stuart
Goalies:
Pavelec

Maybe I'd take Slater over Antropov or Wellwood... but not sure...
I'm unsure of Stuart over Clitsome though...

Old
12-03-2012, 02:46 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Is it worth protecting people who are going to be UFA next season? Probably not... especially if there is no season this year....
Let's say everyone we have on roster can be re-signed (so no fears of UFA) and the over pricers (Hainsey + Antro) accept normalized contracts... then its the bottom feeders you get rid of since the rest can easily be picked up in the draft I guess...

Do we have any "solid" prospects that pass that 10gp threshold? Only ones I would be concerned at all about is Scheifele, Postma and Klingberg... and they are all fine. Maxwell, Machacek and company are all replaceable via the draft.

Winnipeg Jets
Forwards:
Burmistrov, Jokinen, Kane, Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Ponikarovsky, Antropov, Wellwood
Defensemen:
Goalies:
Pavelec

I like Stuart (as long as he's on the 3rd pairing) because he brings an element to the team that none of the other defenders do. His leadership, experience, toughness and locker room presence are also important factors for me. I think Clitsome can be replaced by Postma or Redmond, so I'd leave him exposed like he was before the Jets grabbed him off waivers.

Thanks for the list. It's just something I saw and wanted to know what others lists would look like.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:54 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
I like Stuart (as long as he's on the 3rd pairing) because he brings an element to the team that none of the other defenders do. His leadership, experience, toughness and locker room presence are also important factors for me. I think Clitsome can be replaced by Postma or Redmond, so I'd leave him exposed like he was before the Jets grabbed him off waivers.

Thanks for the list. It's just something I saw and wanted to know what others lists would look like.
Good point. I like those intangibles/elements on a third pairing the lower roles too (if it's lacking elsewhere).

Old
12-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Inflict
Viking

What is the criteria for prospects that are signed to entry level NHL contracts? I don't think the article touched upon this, but based on how no one picked Scheifele, I think it's fair to say his ELC and 7 NHL game experience doesn't count.

Forwards:Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, Burmistrov, Slater, Olli, Wellwood, Antropov
Defence:Bogosian, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Hainsey, Stuart

Also, since Buff played forward in his career, can we classify him as a forward? It would leave room for an extra D-man.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:48 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:

Winnipeg Jets
Forwards:
Defensemen:
Goalies:
Pavelec

I would be a little bit torn on some of the forwards and possibly Hainsey.

I agree with your list, but I wonder how much contract status would come into play.

Do you protect someone like Antro, Wellwood or Poni over Slater, just so you can trade them at the deadline? I would be inclined to keeps Slater and let one of those guys get away.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:08 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Kane
Ladd
Wheeler
Little
Burmistrov
Cormier
Jokinen
Slater
Antropov

Bogosian
Enstrom
Byfuglien
Stuart
Hainsey

Pavelec

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Are teams allowed to trade before an expansion draft?

If so, we could possibly get some deals going with teams that have deeper rosters and maybe snag a few players that way.

Honestly it's exercises like these that make me realize our depth isn't all that hot.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Are teams allowed to trade before an expansion draft?

If so, we could possibly get some deals going with teams that have deeper rosters and maybe snag a few players that way.

Honestly it's exercises like these that make me realize our depth isn't all that hot.
Yup. I was thinking the same thing.

That, and... Mittens. We've lost our Mittens. Thank, gawd.

Bob E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:42 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Yup. I was thinking the same thing.

That, and... Mittens. We've lost our Mittens. Thank, gawd.
I like Mittens.

He isn't a big scorer, but I'd rather have him than somebody like Glass or Thorburn.

Mittens scores similarly to Slater, but can be slotted in more roles. Mittens can slot in on the PP if there is an injury and he is actually an effective penalty killer too. He is a very solid option as a 7th to 13th forward IMO.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I like Mittens.

He isn't a big scorer, but I'd rather have him than somebody like Glass or Thorburn.

Mittens scores similarly to Slater, but can be slotted in more roles. Mittens can slot in on the PP if there is an injury and he is actually an effective penalty killer too. He is a very solid option as a 7th to 13th forward IMO.
I agree 100%. I think Mittens is criminally underrated due to his slow start to the season.

If i recall the research i did correctly, over the last 25 games he was our highest scoring bottom 6 player. I was actually really looking forward to him playing as i think with the new depth, having a line of Mittens, Slater and +1 would be a VERY good 4th line.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:26 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
No chance Antropov and Hainsey would be protected. They'd be good bait with one year left on their deals to avoid losing one of our more valuable pieces.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
No chance Antropov and Hainsey would be protected. They'd be good bait with one year left on their deals to avoid losing one of our more valuable pieces.
How can you say something so definitely, when we don't know if the organization is wanting to re-sign them? Think outside your box a little and you'll be able to form a more balanced opinion.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:36 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Quote:
How can you say something so definitely, when we don't know if the organization is wanting to re-sign them? Think outside your box a little and you'll be able to form a more balanced opinion.
I'm curious at what valuable pieces we could lose and people would rather keep?

Well know the core would be protected:
F: Ladd, Little, Jokinen, Wheeler, Burmistrov, and Kane
D: Byfuglien, Enstrom, and Bogosian

Redmond, Klingberg, and Postma wouldn't need protecting due to <10 NHL games. Obviously CHL/NCAA guys also fall into that.

So that leaves 3 of:
Antropov (UFA)
Ponikarovsky (UFA)
Wellwood (UFA)
Slater
Thorburn
Miettenin (UFA)
Cormier (RFA)
Machacek (RFA)
Maxwell (RFA)
Gagnon(UFA)
Macenauer (RFA)

And for D that leaves 2 of:
Hainsey (UFA)
Stuart
Clitsome (UFA)
Meech (UFA)

Last edited by garret9: 12-03-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: forgot Clitsome
Old
12-03-2012, 04:38 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
I have thought about it. Unless they want to go on one-year deals at less than half of what they are making, neither bring value to a playoff team, a combined 35 playoff games in 19 full NHL seasons spells that out. Combine that with the Jets having some pretty big RFA's coming due for an extension and generally trying to become a better team, no room for Antropov and Hainsey.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:42 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
I'm curious at what valuable pieces we could lose and people would rather keep?

Well know the core would be protected:
F: Ladd, Little, Jokinen, Wheeler, Burmistrov, and Kane
D: Byfuglien, Enstrom, and Bogosian

Redmond, Klingberg, and Postma wouldn't need protecting due to <10 NHL games. Obviously CHL/NCAA guys also fall into that.

So that leaves 3 of:
Antropov (UFA)
Ponikarovsky (UFA)
Wellwood (UFA)
Slater
Thorburn
Miettenin (UFA)
Cormier (RFA)
Machacek (RFA)
Maxwell (RFA)
Gagnon(UFA)
Macenauer (RFA)

And for D that leaves 2 of:
Hainsey (UFA)
Stuart
Meech (UFA)
We'd lose a forward in this scenario. We'd basically protect Hainsey because there's no one else to protect as D. Of course you don't have to protect 5, that's just the max.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
I have thought about it. Unless they want to go on one-year deals at less than half of what they are making, neither bring value to a playoff team, a combined 35 playoff games in 19 full NHL seasons spells that out. Combine that with the Jets having some pretty big RFA's coming due for an extension and generally trying to become a better team, no room for Antropov and Hainsey.
I guess we'll have to disagree. IMO both players bring value to a playoff team. Solid veteran players are exactly what teams looking to make playoff runs, look for. I still don't see a d-man that is able to play in our top 4 right now, unless of course we make a trade or through FA. As it stands right now, I think both players will definitely be getting major pay cuts on their next contracts. Until there's a legitimate d-man that can play well in a top 4 role, I'd personally like to hang on to Hainsey.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:03 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
I'm guessing Antro receives around 1.8-2.2 on the open market (given same cap ceiling as current). Ponikarovsky is more defesnive, less offensive, and received 1.8, which most people think is a good deal. People pay higher dollars for offensive forwards than defensive.
He is solid producing offensive forward, quality PK and secondary PP, and has been improving his defensive game. Our most likely prospects to replace him are Klingberg, Telegin or Lowry and none of them I think are ready for that. So, I could see the Jets giving him a 2 year ~2mil to stop gap for a bit.

Hainsey is a decent #4 defenseman and a fantastic #5. Now I'm big on upgrading him (as many here know), but who do we have to replace his defensive minutes? Stuart is a joke for top 4 (decent on 3rd pairing though), while Melchiori, Chiarot, Yuen, and Sol are years away and may never be as good. Hainsey wouldn't get paid at half his current wage as a second pairing. His caphit is 4.5 right now and you'd be hard pressed to get a lateral replacement at 3.5 in the current UFA market (given same cap ceiling as current).

I hope GP in the playoffs don't indicate skill otherwise boy was NYR dumb to trade for Nash...

I can agree though that picking 3 of Slater, Antropov, Ponikarovsky and Wellwood might make Antropov the odd man out.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Hobble

1 Goalie: Pavelec
5 Defensemen: Bogosian, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Stuart, Hainsey
9 Forwards: Wheeler, Kane, Little, Ladd, Burmistrov, Slater, Jokinen, Machacek, Wellwood

Notable Mention: Cormier, Antropov

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
I'm guessing Antro receives around 1.8-2.2 on the open market (given same cap ceiling as current). Ponikarovsky is more defesnive, less offensive, and received 1.8, which most people think is a good deal. People pay higher dollars for offensive forwards than defensive.
He is solid producing offensive forward, quality PK and secondary PP, and has been improving his defensive game. Our most likely prospects to replace him are Klingberg, Telegin or Lowry and none of them I think are ready for that. So, I could see the Jets giving him a 2 year ~2mil to stop gap for a bit.

Hainsey is a decent #4 defenseman and a fantastic #5. Now I'm big on upgrading him (as many here know), but who do we have to replace his defensive minutes? Stuart is a joke for top 4 (decent on 3rd pairing though), while Melchiori, Chiarot, Yuen, and Sol are years away and may never be as good. Hainsey wouldn't get paid at half his current wage as a second pairing. His caphit is 4.5 right now and you'd be hard pressed to get a lateral replacement at 3.5 in the current UFA market (given same cap ceiling as current).

I hope GP in the playoffs don't indicate skill otherwise boy was NYR dumb to trade for Nash...

I can agree though that picking 3 of Slater, Antropov, Ponikarovsky and Wellwood might make Antropov the odd man out.
I'd like to see us resign Antro and Poni for another 1 year deal each.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:12 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I'd like to see us resign Antro and Poni for another 1 year deal each.
Count me as one of the people that would also like to see this. I have 3 reasons:
  1. They're actually quite good at what they do - if they're placed on a 3rd line together, that'll be a very difficult line to play against, and they have reasonable offensive skills. It'll be a nice 3rd line, IMHO.
  2. I think the Jets might be able to sign them to a reasonable contract again next year.
  3. Re-signing them will make a LOT of people really angry. I find that amusing.

Honestly: if they both resign at 1.5-2M per year for 1 year, that would make a very strong 3rd line while we're waiting for prospects. Good enough that I believe it would help push the Jets into the playoffs, and put them on a track to head for the SC in a couple years.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Boreal

Forwards:

Evander Kane
Blake Wheeler
Andrew Ladd
Olli Jokinen
Bryan Little
Alexander Burmistrov
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Nikolai Antropov
Jim Slater

Defense:
Tobias Enstrom
Dustin Byfuglien
Zach Bogosian
Ron Hainsey
Mark Stuart

Goaltender:
Ondrej Pavelec

...this is going off of Garret's proposed normalization of contracts, and all UFA's being retained idea.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:

Slater for sure over Antropov

Stuart for sure over Clitsome, didn't like what I saw in Clitsome at the end of last season, he looked really lost out there. Not sure Clitsome is any better than Kulda for sure not as good as Jones.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote