HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lockout (panthers related)

Old
11-28-2012, 09:08 AM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Guys, just thought I'd give you a little sit rep on Skille.

Deryk Engelland hooked him up with Crosby so he's been working out with SC and a few others in the New York area for the last couple of weeks.

With Crosby reportedly leaving for a training camp in AZ (prep for Europe?), I don't know what Skille will be doing. He's not expected yo return to Europe anytime this year, but could be back in January if the lockout is still going.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Matthias signed a deal to play over in Austria with EHC Black Wings Linz. He's expected to debut on Friday according to the article referenced in the link below.

Source: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...eague/related/

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:21 PM
hmpf

Hi Panthers fans!

Can you give me short report of Shawn Matthias. What can we expect
from him here in Linz (strengths, weaknesses, attitude, etc.)?

Some background about his signing:
Matthias has signed a contract until December, 31st (of course with an exit clause in case the lockout ends). He is expected to center Linz' second line which has lost two important players because of injuries.

Greetings,
Hmpf.

hmpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:32 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmpf View Post
Hi Panthers fans!

Can you give me short report of Shawn Matthias. What can we expect
from him here in Linz (strengths, weaknesses, attitude, etc.)?

Some background about his signing:
Matthias has signed a contract until December, 31st (of course with an exit clause in case the lockout ends). He is expected to center Linz' second line which has lost two important players because of injuries.

Greetings,
Hmpf.

strengths: his big, strong, fast. good two way player...im not sure what league Linz is in but i would expect he could dominate at that level strictly on physical gifts alone.

he doesn't seem to have the IQ needed to be an offensive star at the NHL level.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:22 AM
hmpf

I'd rate the level of the league (multinational league with teams from Austria, Slovenia, Hungary, Croatia and Czech Republic) slightly under German DEL level. The top teams would play a good role in DEL too.

There are already some players from the NHL in the league (perhaps you can remember the name Michael Grabner) but only Mursak (DET) can be called "dominating". Tyler Myers (BUF) on the other hand was expected to make a huge impact but struggles on the big ice (-8 in +/-).

So I don't expect dominating numbers from Matthias but I wouldn't mind if he did produce them.

hmpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:45 AM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

George Parros Represents the panthers at the NHL-PA meeting today in NYC.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:53 AM
SeasonTicket

Matthias played with Jan Mursak in 2007/08 with the OHL Belleville Bulls.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...n/32/ls_team/1

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Just saw Cliff Viner leave the office to head to NYC and the NHL Board of Governors meeting tomorrow with all 30 owners. Should be an interesting next 36 hrs for sure.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:04 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
George Parros Represents the panthers at the NHL-PA meeting today in NYC.
i don't know if this has been posted already but from http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-hargrove-says...

Quote:
Parros — named the fourth smartest athlete by the Sporting News, has a degree in economics from Princeton University
how ironic - a hockey goon!

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i don't know if this has been posted already but from http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-hargrove-says...

how ironic - a hockey goon!
But wait a minute, like many on the hf boards have stated during this lockout none of these players could possibly be smart .

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
But wait a minute, like many on the hf boards have stated during this lockout none of these players could possibly be smart .
I was actually interested in finding out the background of the 18 player attendees today. Here's the breakdown:

13 of the 18 players attended college:
Craig Adams = Harvard
Mike Cammalleri = Michigan
David Backes = Minnesota St
Mathieu Darche = McGill (Canadian college)
Ron Hainsey = UMass Lowell
Shawn Horcoff = Michigan St
Jamal Mayers = Western Michigan
Andy McDonald = Colgate
Ryan Miller = Michigan St
George Parros = Princeton
Marty St Louis = Vermont
Jonathan Toews = North Dakota
Kevin Westgarth = Princeton

- Parros has a degree in economics from Princeton and wrote his thesis on a labor dispute.
- Westgarth's also a Princeton grad in Psychology
- Darche has a business degree from McGill
- Cammalleri has a Sports Management degree from Michigan
- Horcoff has a degree in Finance/Mathematics from Michigan St
- Miller has a Business degree from Michigan St
- St Louis double-majored in Community Development and Applied Economics and Consumer and Advertising
- McDonald graduated with a degree in International Relations
- Mayers has a degree in Marketing

Seems like the right mix of knowledge from the players side in the room. Sure many of the owners have business degrees (obviously) but the perception that the players are stupid/ignorant in terms of the negotiations are uninformed for sure.

Last edited by Coolburn: 12-04-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Just heard on a local TV station that "progress" was made during today's meetings between the players and the owners, whatever that means. Take it for what it's worth. And of course, we have heard that "progress" line many times before during this lockout, or something like it. Just relaying the message .

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:03 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
and you look at some of the degrees held by the owners and ... they aren't that impressive. how many of those guys are self-made? it's not terribly difficult to rake in the dough when you have a huge head start and know the tricks of the rich. yeah, i'm not a fan of those types.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:47 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Just as a frame of reference.. The NBA lockout got settled December 8th.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:28 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Im starting to get excited.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:11 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I'm trying not to get too excited yet so I don't get my hopes up. We've heard this story so many times, but this time it seems more believable.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
I'm trying not to get too excited yet so I don't get my hopes up. We've heard this story so many times, but this time it seems more believable.
Dont get too excited just yet. After another marathon session, its better than it has been in the past. But the players & league arent quite in agreement yet on the contract issues. I dont mind the league's offer but can see how players wont like it. Also a sticking point in the length of the CBA (league wants 10 yrs but players only want 5). There's middle ground to be found here so that at least has me optimistic. Looks like if we do have a season, it'll be a 50+ game schedule.

At this point, I think they just need to agree on 6 yr contract lengths (8 if its the current team) instead of a 5yr limit and 7 if its your own team. And then make the CBA at least tied to that as well...8 yr CBA length (with a league option for a 9th yr and players option for a 10th) and be done with it.

Old
12-06-2012, 05:59 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

This Fehr presser is optimistic as hell...

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 06:48 PM
RainingRats

The latest update leads me to believe this season will be cancelled. That sucks.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Upshall tweeted that owners treating players like cattle. You're a Panther and I'll still cheer for you when you get back on the ice but c'mon dude. You had 8 points last season including the playoffs and got paid $3.5 million. Cattle, no... More like Xerxes.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:05 AM
billysbreakdown

We're done.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

I guess this will be it. Stupid that these millionaires cant reach an agreement. Goodbye Season 2012/13

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:32 AM
Coolburn

Saw something on twitter that said 94-95 lockout was ended on Jan 10th and then season started on Jan 20th for that 48 game season. So guess everyone thinks we still have 1 month to get a deal done.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:34 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Upshall tweeted that owners treating players like cattle. You're a Panther and I'll still cheer for you when you get back on the ice but c'mon dude. You had 8 points last season including the playoffs and got paid $3.5 million. Cattle, no... More like Xerxes.

-ghoste
It's going to be tough to root for a lot of these guys after this is all settled thanks to the players' inability to resist tweeting. With the economy how it is, this is a really bad time to try to convince me I need to understand you need to make a few more millions.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:37 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
We're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
The latest update leads me to believe this season will be cancelled. That sucks.

I hope so. I've already paid for tickets - I'm not interested in watching a condensed season of exhibition hockey (out of shape players, sloppy play, more injuries) shoved into an inconvenient schedule where I have to miss most of the games just so ownership can get their 60 games in and not lose any revenue from their sponsors (60 games is the contractual cut-off).

Just cancel it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post

-ghoste
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missy_%28cow%29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
It's going to be tough to root for a lot of these guys after this is all settled thanks to the players' inability to resist tweeting. With the economy how it is, this is a really bad time to try to convince me I need to understand you need to make a few more millions.

The problem with the NHL is that you have a handful of teams that make money by the wheelbarrow and the rest of the teams that make some money or lose money.

In order to have a "fair" league you need to have a cap and teams spending a relatively even amount of money.

The players think the owners should fix this by increasing profit sharing among the owners, since the big money makers certainly benefit from having a large vibrant league to play in.

The owners think that to fix this, the players should accept lower salaries than a truly free market would bear. They want to be protected from themselves and their tendency to give overly long, overly costly contracts.

You can argue that the players "make too much money and should just shut up and play", but I think if you look at the big picture, the players central argument is more defensible.

That's not to say that they (Fehr & the players) aren't to share in the blame, but I think the current lockout lies mostly on ownership & their muscle, Bettman.

Expecting the players to take a dive and concede just because the economy is bad and letting the owners off the hook when the league is making record profits doesn't seem very logical.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote