HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Senators Prospects 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 06:10 AM
Aggen

vCash: 500
Mikael Wikstrand has been chosen to participate in the WJC this morning. No brainer really.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
Looks like Hockey Canada are inviting 12 defensemen to the WJC selection camp. Based on that number it doesn't seem unfathomable that Ceci may not even be on that list.

Everyone agrees that Hamilton, Reilly, Ouellet, Harrington, Murphy, Dumba and Reinhart are locks for invites. Adam Pelech has been confirmed as well bringing the total to 8. That puts Ceci in a group with Koekkoek, Wotherspoon, Corrado, Percy, Pulock, Siemens and any others I may have overlooked.

Something to keep in mind I suppose.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Ouroboros

Confirmed: No invite for Ceci.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Confirmed: No invite for Ceci.
nor Puempel

Old
12-03-2012, 11:44 AM
OgieO

Is Ceci eligible next year?

Surprised about Puempel - thought he'd make it.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Ouroboros

This is Ceci's last year of eligibility.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:02 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

I guess Wikstrand and possibly Noesen are the only prospects we can expect?

Old
12-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Behind the scenes it's pretty much gonna be Spott's call whether Puempel gets there or not. The coach has a considerable amount of power in this, especially when it comes to his own players.
Sure hope you were wrong about this, otherwise Spott perhaps doesn't think as much of Puempel, as others do. I for one, think this was out of Spott's hands, but hard to know what discussions took place behind closed doors. I'm sure Spott will tell Puempel he pushed for him, although obviously not hard enough to make it happen.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:15 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
I guess Wikstrand and possibly Noesen are the only prospects we can expect?
Noesen should be there for certain, shouldn't he?

Old
12-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Mathieu

Maybe it has something to do with Puempel injury ?

Old
12-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Karlssonlee

Yikes tough for Pumps and Ceci, thought they would atleast get a look.

Didn't expect either to make the team, but considering Pumps relationship with Spott, thought he would get a look atleast. Maybe it's injury related.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:24 PM
General Granny*

What a joke, 2nd in dman scoring behind Hamilton doesnt even get an invite or a look at.

Small example of these type of descions that have kept this country from getting a gold in a long time. Like RNH not making the team on his draft year, a year later he was an PPG NHL regular.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:25 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
I dunno, doesn't the US tend to snub most of the players who play in the CHL? I know there were rumours last year of that happening with Prince

I guess we'll see, but I wouldn't say he's certain just yet.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Barring injury, yes, Noesen would seem to be a lock, or close to it. Ony question is around US Hockey's preference for players who have opted for their program, and the fact Noesen hasn't really been on their invite list previously. But still, most experts who cover US hockey expect him to be on the team.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:29 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
What a joke, 2nd in dman scoring behind Hamilton doesnt even get an invite or a look at.

Small example of these type of descions that have kept this country from getting a gold in a long time. Like RNH not making the team on his draft year, a year later he was an PPG NHL regular.
We won five in a row from 2005 to 2009, and have finished 2nd or higher in 10 of the last 11. Not exactly a dysfunctional.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post

I'm sure he was in the conversation, but this is not a major shock. Hockey Canada see offence coming from several others d-men and wanted to round out the list with more defensive players who could play a role on the 3rd pairing and PK. If we take our Sens/67s coloured glasses off, it shouldn 't be that shocking.I thought he would get the invite because he was there last year, but he hasn't been great in the Super series or summer camp, so isn't a massive surprise. Hockey Canada doesn't care about draft position or even pro potential for that matter. It doesn't mean some of the guys on that list are seen as better overall prospects.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Hale The Villain

Puempel wasn't invited for the same reasons Griffith wasn't invited. The guys who pick the players for Team Canada don't want one-dimensional players, especially those that are undersized and of mediocre skating ability. The importance of skating has been multiplied by ten because of the tournament being played on big ice.

It's not that Puempel wasn't good enough to play in the top 6, he just doesn't fit the criteria for the type of player Team Canada is looking to bring to Ufa.

I'm disappointed Ceci didn't get an invite, considering he was one of the later cuts last year. I didn't expect him to make the team, for reasons Dr.Sens pointed out, but I thought he'd at least be given a chance to show his stuff. Again, his non-invite does not make him a lesser prospect than those who were invited. Team Canada likes to do their own thing and not go by draft position or how good a player is perceived on HF.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:04 PM
General Granny*

Or by stats.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:04 PM
EpicNeilTime

So Cody Ceci is the final cut last year to make the team, but wasn't even invited to this years camp? What a joke. Right now Ceci is a better player then Corrado, Pelech, Wotherspoon, Sproul, and Pouliot.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:08 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I'm in the minority but I'd actually prefer fewer of our guys get invited to this tourny as possible because all this tournament really does is set up ridiculous expectations for fans who have seen these guys play basically just in the tourny.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:11 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicNeilTime View Post
So Cody Ceci is the final cut last year to make the team, but wasn't even invited to this years camp? What a joke. Right now Ceci is a better player then Corrado, Pelech, Wotherspoon, Sproul, and Pouliot.
Being a Wolves STH, I can without a doubt echo that Ceci is a stronger player than Corrado, IMO. Not sure how Ceci was snubbed in regards to getting an invite.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Sure hope you were wrong about this, otherwise Spott perhaps doesn't think as much of Puempel, as others do. I for one, think this was out of Spott's hands, but hard to know what discussions took place behind closed doors. I'm sure Spott will tell Puempel he pushed for him, although obviously not hard enough to make it happen.
It's not unfathomable that 100% of the top 6 winger spots are already spoken for.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Being a Wolves STH, I can without a doubt echo that Ceci is a stronger player than Corrado, IMO. Not sure how Ceci was snubbed in regards to getting an invite.
They have other guys inked in to the role he was gonna try out for. Probably.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Most American observers are placing him in the top 6.

I'm not sure you ever really know with the US development program bias. Shane Prince probably should have been a lock last year, but I think Noesen is more of a sure thing.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
It's not unfathomable that 100% of the top 6 winger spots are already spoken for.
Well, I kind of think there will be 9 spots for scoring line players, and one real energy line with the likes of some two-way energy / physical guys. That 3rd scoring line will definitely have some elite offensive talent, and I suspect will be more offence-focused, than defensive / physical focus. We'll see though.

But I wonder whether Puempel's shoulder is a little more banged up than believed. If he's not ready to play in the next few days and was already on the bubble, seems to make sense to name someone else. Wouldn't surprise me if that comes out in the days ahead. If the Doctor's weren't sure when he'd be ready (ie. 5 to 15 days) then that probably did his chances in.

Closed Thread