HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

20 Greatest Red Wings (#2)

View Poll Results: Who is the #2 Red Wing of All-Time?
Steve Yzerman 56 71.79%
Sergei Fedorov 4 5.13%
Ted Lindsay 1 1.28%
Sid Abel 0 0%
Alex Delvecchio 0 0%
Norm Ullman 0 0%
Brendan Shanahan 0 0%
Syd Howe 0 0%
Pavel Datsyuk 1 1.28%
Henrik Zetterberg 0 0%
Larry Aurie 0 0%
Marty Barry 1 1.28%
Nicklas Lidstrom 14 17.95%
Red Kelly 0 0%
Ebbie Goodfellow 0 0%
Jack Stewart 0 0%
Vladimir Konstantinov 0 0%
Paul Coffey 0 0%
Terry Sawchuk 0 0%
Chris Osgood 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-19-2012, 11:50 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
20 Greatest Red Wings (#2)

Current rankings so far:

1) Gordie Howe 52.27%

As no suggestions were made to add players, I'll replace Howe in the poll with arbitrary selection Marty Barry.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:53 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Oh geez. You're doing this who thing?

not interested.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:13 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Yzerman.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 12:35 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Yzerman

I think we all know where this round is going. For that matter I am pretty sure where round three is going.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 02:34 AM
opivy
Sauce King

Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Oh geez. You're doing this who thing?

not interested.
Why reply?

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Peter Tosh

Chelios >>>>> Coffey in wings history. Even Larry Murphy >>> Coffey.

Peter Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Peter Tosh

It's hard to make a fair assessment of a guy who died before I was even born, but looking at the stats and accomplishments, Marty Barry has done less as a Wing than Larionov, Draper, Maltby, Hasek and even Holmström.

But that is maybe the problem with comparing players from different eras. It's easy to be biased to either classic players or recent ones...

Old
10-20-2012, 08:42 AM
drmagg

Ted Lindsay. Though i f**ed up it and voted for #91

Sorry...

drmagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:13 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tosh View Post
It's hard to make a fair assessment of a guy who died before I was even born, but looking at the stats and accomplishments, Marty Barry has done less as a Wing than Larionov, Draper, Maltby, Hasek and even Holmström.

But that is maybe the problem with comparing players from different eras. It's easy to be biased to either classic players or recent ones...
Barry was 1st team center as a Wing, and he was top four in scoring three of his four seasons in Detroit. He was also the team's top line center during that time. Draper was a third liner, as was Maltby. Barry led all Wings in scoring during his tenure by 34 points over Syd Howe, in only two more games played. Larry Aurie was the next most prolific scorer in terms of PPG, but would still have finished 20 points behind had Aurie played a comparable amount of games during that span.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:34 AM
RaySheppard

Poll is nonsense. You're asking for #2 all time and Howe isn't listed. Be serious.

RaySheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 01:47 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySheppard View Post
Poll is nonsense. You're asking for #2 all time and Howe isn't listed. Be serious.
Howe's not listed because he was already voted in as #1

But seriously, Marty Barry? The guy played less than 200 games for Detroit, he shouldn't be anywhere near a top-20 list. Jack Stewart as a candidate it pretty questionable too.

Last edited by jaster: 10-21-2012 at 01:52 AM.
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:10 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post

But seriously, Marty Barry? The guy played less than 200 games for Detroit, he shouldn't be anywhere near a top-20 list. Jack Stewart as a candidate it pretty questionable too.
Jiri Hudler will probably be on the poll for #3, if we put Marty Barry and Jack Stewart on there. We might as well open it up to everyone and just toll up the votes without the poll.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:27 PM
RabbinsDuck

Jack Stewart is arguably the Wings 3rd best defenseman ever (with Quackenbush and Pronovost).

Last edited by RabbinsDuck: 10-21-2012 at 02:53 PM.
RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Peter Tosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post

That's what I mean. Just because something happened a long time ago, doesn't mean the accomplishment is greater. 1995-2009 is a great Red Wings era in history with lots of great players. A cup in '97 is worth just as much as a cup in the fifties.

And 200 games? I guess Slava Kozlov has done more, as well as Ciccarelli, Sheppard or Keith Primeau.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:36 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Jiri Hudler will probably be on the poll for #3, if we put Marty Barry and Jack Stewart on there. We might as well open it up to everyone and just toll up the votes without the poll.
Quote:
That's what I mean. Just because something happened a long time ago, doesn't mean the accomplishment is greater. 1995-2009 is a great Red Wings era in history with lots of great players. A cup in '97 is worth just as much as a cup in the fifties.

And 200 games? I guess Slava Kozlov has done more, as well as Ciccarelli, Sheppard or Keith Primeau.
Marty Barry played four seasons for the Wings and finished top four in scoring three times, once being named to the first team.

Jack Stewart played ten seasons for Detroit, and was a first-teamer three times and a second-teamer twice.

These guys were among the best players of their era. When I picked the poll selections, I picked Stewart over guys like Quackenbush, Pronovost, Chelios, Larson, Hollett, and Chiasson because Stewart was arguably the best defenseman in the league from 1943-1949 despite missing two seasons due to service in WWII.

Ciccarelli was never a key player for the Wings, and Primeau was a secondary scorer who would find a defensive commitment after leaving Detroit. Kozlov was a clutch scorer, but still a secondry piece. Sheppard was a top goal scorer, but his time with Detroit was short and sweet. And none of them were as important to the club as Barry was.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:11 AM
Peter Tosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Sheppard was a top goal scorer, but his time with Detroit was short and sweet.
Just like that Barry dude's... Sheppard played 274 games in Detroit (which is more than Barry), and once hit the 50 goal plateau (Barry scored 21 at best). The seasons where shorter back then, but their stats are still somewhat comparable.

I'm not in any way arguing that Ray Sheppard is one of the top 20 Red Wings of all time. I'm just saying old players are sometimes overrated just because very few people alive today ever experienced them in action.

Barry was probably a great player in his days, but being a top 20 Red Wing, you need to at least play more games than Andreas Lilja or Brett Lebda did.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:56 PM
pdd

Quote:
Just like that Barry dude's... Sheppard played 274 games in Detroit (which is more than Barry), and once hit the 50 goal plateau (Barry scored 21 at best). The seasons where shorter back then, but their stats are still somewhat comparable.

I'm not in any way arguing that Ray Sheppard is one of the top 20 Red Wings of all time. I'm just saying old players are sometimes overrated just because very few people alive today ever experienced them in action.

Barry was probably a great player in his days, but being a top 20 Red Wing, you need to at least play more games than Andreas Lilja or Brett Lebda did.
Barry's career PPG is only slightly below that of Howie Morenz, who is considered one of the best players of all time and was a contemporary of Barry's. From 1930 to 1937 (their overlapping seasons) Morenz outscored Barry three times while Barry outscored Morenz five times, twice as a Red Wing. And furthermore, Barry's top seasons were in Detroit. So either Morenz is exceedingly overrated, Barry is unbelievably underrated, or it's somewhere in the middle. I vote for the third.

Last edited by pdd: 10-28-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old
10-22-2012, 02:59 PM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmagg View Post
Ted Lindsay. Though i f**ed up it and voted for #91

Sorry...
It's going to be interesting where #91 ends up. I think he should be in the top 5 but he'll probably end up in the 10-15ish area.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 04:11 PM
TS Quint

Lidstrom can't even get propper respect from Wings fans. What does this guy have to do? He's only the 2nd best Dman to play the game, I can make a couple of arguements to make him the best to play the game and he's not the second best Wing? I love Stevie but come on guys.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
Lidstrom can't even get propper respect from Wings fans. What does this guy have to do? He's only the 2nd best Dman to play the game, I can make a couple of arguements to make him the best to play the game and he's not the second best Wing? I love Stevie but come on guys.
Nick "doesn't have to do" anything anymore. He was just a tad below Yzerman, that's all. We are talking the Greatest Leader of All Time, remember?

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:34 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
No, he wasnt. He's top-5 all-time in competition with Bourque for the 3rd spot. Orr and Harvey is definitly ahead of him.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
No, he wasnt. He's top-5 all-time in competition with Bourque for the 3rd spot. Orr and Harvey is definitly ahead of him.
I hate when Harvey gets brought up as better than a defender that dominated the position in an era when the game has never been more competitive and international.

Orr I can understand, sort of, but the Harvey love must have been passed down from your pops or granddad.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:17 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Lidstrom was the best defenseman of his era at both ends of the ice, and has a valid argument for #2. Bourque and Harvey can validly be placed over him, as well.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:50 AM
Zorin

Send a message via ICQ to Zorin
For D-men it's a coinflip between Lidström and Bourque for their time. Depends on what style you like more. Harvey lived in a completely different era. So did Orr. The latter redefined the game of a d-man, so I give him the edge.

Regarding the best Redwing: I think it is no competition for 1st really. Howe defined the powerforward, he dominated the game for decades, he played for Detroit what seems to be multiple milenii and gives Gretzky competition for the best player of all time with Lemieux and Orr being runner up.
After that we have Yzerman who turned the dead things into a very good - in latter stages the dominant franchise of it's time. He played here for a very long time and carried the team on his back almost a decade. Something Nick never had to do. When he came into the league he had Stevie, he was accompanied by the likes of Feds, Vladdy, Kozzie and other great players. The team featured Ciccarelli or Primeau, Sheppard or - in replacement - Larionov.

So I think in terms of greatness in the eyes of fans Stevie has the edge over Nick. But its close. And honestly, Stevie is no slouch. It is no shame to be a tad behind him - especially in terms of being loved by wings fans.
That does not mean you are not loved - and even less that you are not a great player! Look who is BEHIND him. Is there no love for Vladdy, Feds, Shanny, Sawchuk, Lindsay, Kelly or Delvecchio?! Yes there is. Heaps of! But there is MORE for Gordie, Stevie Y and St. Nick. So I think it is a pretty good list so far. And everybody who makes the top-10 (or even the Top 20 or 30 for that matter) ALL TIME in a franchise as storied as the Redwings is (or was) a darn good player and a pretty much loved and pretty well respected player.
You do not say that Lemieux, Orr, Yzerman or Lidström are jerks, because you call Gretzky and Howe the best players to ever play the game....

Zorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:24 PM
TS Quint

The way I think of it (I don't expect to change anyone's mind but I'll throw it out there) nobody noticed Lidstrom for the first 9 years of his career. In my opinion it was complete BS Pronger won the Norris in 2000 for having the best +/- when Lidstrom had 11 more points. I'm a big believer that points aren't everything but we all know that Lidtsrom didn't compromise his defense to put up those numbers. 97/98 Rob Blake are you kidding me? He was a minus player. Lidstrom was penalized for playing for playing mistake free hockey where he never had to look spectacular because he didn't make the mistakes that you would have to look spectacular to fix. It took 10 years and Yzerman's retirement for people to notice that. He was also penalized for playing on a good team and being Swedish.

What other player can say they dominated for 20 years? Outside of Howe no one can say they dominated for that kind of time line.

Harvey= in Norris Trophies but in a 6 team league and an overall smaller pool of players to choose from that just doesn't carry the same weight.

Ray Borque not even close. Great yes as good or dominant as Lidstrom? Nope. Only 5 Norris Trophies nuff said

Yes I love Yzerman (how can you not) but when you have easily the 2nd best Dman of all time to compete with. I don't think Yzerman was 2nd best at anything in the league nevermind all time. He was great at a lot of things was his strength. If I thought that Lidstrom and Yzerman we tied I might use leadership as a tie breaker and Yzerman might win. But its not like Yzerman blows Lidstrom away in the leadership category. Lidstrom was largely looked upon as one of the best leaders in the league. He was just not as open with the media.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote