HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Referendum starts process (against) Glendale arena deal with Jamison

Old
12-03-2012, 10:33 AM
GuelphStormer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Even if Jamison buys the Coyotes, I can tell you this : We will still speak about the Coyotes Saga.

There is no way that Jamison can do in 5 years that others could not in 16. And I am not even gonna talk about the market as it.
and add to that the fact that the team's owner has killed all momentum gained from last season's deep playoff run by locking out all players.

if hockey ever begins again in phoenix, it will be from within an even deeper hole than last year ... arguably deeper than ever before in its entire existence.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:43 AM
checkerdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Agreed. All that happens is talk of the Coyotes will shift to how long until Jamison claims to be BK. Ownership can change, but until there is proof to the contrary, the market is still the same market.
I don't know guys.

My understanding is that as soon as a new owner is formally in place; throngs of here-to-now unknown Yotes fans will come streaming onto the scene; willing to pay actual market value prices for tickets.

The fanbase has long maintained that an actual owner was the only ingredient missing for a successful NHL franchise in Glendale.

Oh, and in all fairness, they DID diagnose the need for better marketing too.

checkerdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:43 AM
aj8000

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
They were playing so far above their ability last year, trying to save the team and all. Now if this deal goes through and the teams future is secured, we'll see how they play under normal circumstances. Not very well is my guess.
People have been saying they are playing above their ability for a few years. I would be more likely to say that they are playing to their abilities and doing very well at it considering the results of the last three years.

Can they keep this up into the future? Possibly in the short term; however, like every team, they will have their downs as well.

aj8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:47 AM
aj8000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The team I saw in the playoffs were a bunch of veterans, rejects that could not make it in other teams. And it was miracle that the coach somehow made it work.
But they did. I would say the teams that rejected the "rejects" should look at their scouting staff.

Last edited by aj8000: 12-03-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old
12-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

They've got a good system in Phoenix in terms of the on ice product, they know how to get as much as possible out of the talent they have, and they're pretty good on the defensive side of the game. I'd be surprised if they weren't relevant for a couple more years

Heck that's half of the anguish for that certain kind of Canadian fan that thinks that no one but them deserves teams. They think that Saskatoon could turn out to support the team better than the Yotes and can't stand that we filthy Americans actually get to share their NHL with them instead.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:54 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Bottom line: So was the last one.
and the Coyotes moved to which city? Oh, wait. They haven't and don't look like they will, having gotton new ownership and a $320m arena management deal.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:00 AM
aj8000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
and the Coyotes moved to which city? Oh, wait. They haven't and don't look like they will, having gotton new ownership and a $320m arena management deal.
I would not count your chickens just yet regarding staying or going. Basically all you have here is a possible owner, with a lease deal that may be signed before the 31st of January 2013.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:02 AM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
The Coyotes had 14 years to build a fan base before they went into bakruptcy in 2009 & failed to build that fan base needed to survive . It is time to cut the dead weight & move the coyotes to a stronger market & admit failure in Arizona .
Stronger market? Nobody is ready to take an NHL team.

Both the NHL and Glendale are committed to making it work.

The right combo of marketing, winning and stable ownership will be the difference for the long term success of the team. The fan base is here. This circus has turned off a lot of people.

NHLfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:07 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
They've got a good system in Phoenix in terms of the on ice product, they know how to get as much as possible out of the talent they have, and they're pretty good on the defensive side of the game. I'd be surprised if they weren't relevant for a couple more years

Heck that's half of the anguish for that certain kind of Canadian fan that thinks that no one but them deserves teams. They think that Saskatoon could turn out to support the team better than the Yotes and can't stand that we filthy Americans actually get to share their NHL with them instead.
i know you are mocking us, but my guess is that they actually would ... the arena in saskatoon can just over 15K for hockey and has hosted the world juniors. of course it's not corporate- or nhl-ready, and never will be, nor is it as shiny as jobing ... but if we are talking about support for a team and the ability to sell tickets at market price, i would suggest that saskatoon could quite realistically give phoenix a real run for the money. the economy is still doing fairly well. housing prices continue to increase and the new billion dollar electron microscope and new labs at USask are indicative of investment in infrastructure and employment. in short, while tiny in comparison, saskatoon is doing much better economically than the phoenix area, and the level of comparative interest is beyond argument.

that said tho, there are several untapped goldmine hockey markets in canada that even dunderhead jamison would be able to make a thousand times more profitable than phoenix, and saskatoon isnt on the list.

GuelphStormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:16 AM
checkerdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post

The right combo of marketing, winning and stable ownership will be the difference for the long term success of the team. The fan base is here. This circus has turned off a lot of people.
Well, you're winning as it is, so that only leaves our longtime friends "ownership" and "marketing" as obstacles to turning the Yotes around.

I wonder what the obstacles will be 2 years and then 5 years from now?

Old
12-03-2012, 11:17 AM
aj8000

Quote:
Agreed

Quote:
Yes, it does appear that way.

Quote:
I am not convinced it will be so easy. Not to mention the fact that Jamison may not be the stable owner you think he is. There is not enough information to determine if the Yotes organization has stopped digging the financial hole they are currently in.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:21 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
You seemed to mention the new 20-year lease as something that will solve all the Coyotes ills and somehow by having this lease, they will never move. The previous ownership also had a carved in stone lease that didn't stop him from getting out of it, and trying to move the team. People seem to forget there is only one reason why this team wasn't moved 2 years ago.

The lease means nothing as there are always ways to break it. And IMO, if this lease ever does get signed, it will be the CoG breaking the lease in the near future when they realize they just can't afford what they said they could.

If the referendum people get their way, this may mean the lease is never signed as well, and this team will be moving.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:28 AM
JMROWE

Quote:

Wrong both Hamilton & Quebec City are ready to take an NHL. team first All Hamilton has to do is upgrade Copps Coliseum which can be done in one NHL. off season second Quebec City can play in Le Colise for a year or two whille there new arena is getting bulit .

JMROWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:24 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
We're not changing each others opinion about what Coyotes management can do, to make their team profitable.

Botton line : the Coyotes new lease is a 20 yr lease.
One, out of the two following will happen prior to the 20 year lease expires.

a) COG will fail to pay one of the yearly payments thus going BK

b) The Coyotes will go BK and Jamison will get rid of them/move them/sell to move them.

One thing I AM SURE OF, we won't see the 20 year period go by and Coyotes still in Arizona.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Slashers98

Moody's downgrades Glendale, Arizona again: http://soc.li/CXp3bBR

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:36 PM
checkerdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
Moody's downgrades Glendale, Arizona again: http://soc.li/CXp3bBR
No doubt some more handiwork of the evil Canadian media...

Old
12-03-2012, 02:22 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
Wrong both Hamilton & Quebec City are ready to take an NHL. team first All Hamilton has to do is upgrade Copps Coliseum which can be done in one NHL. off season second Quebec City can play in Le Colise for a year or two whille there new arena is getting bulit .
Colisée Pepsi has been upgraded to NHL last summer and its ready
Even Sid the Kid approved
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Crosby.mp3‎ (137.1 KB, 7 views)

calmdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:33 PM
txpd

all i read here is that those involved are all being described as political failures. why are they going to be winners now?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:46 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
No doubt some more handiwork of the evil Canadian media...
sonu munshi
@smunshi
Moody's downgrades #Glendale's general obligation bond rating; cites payments to NHL for operating losses of the Phoenix Coyotes

Is she Canadian?

Old
12-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Jopsey

I've always felt bad for the Coyotes. They have a good team but no one to cheer them on..

Jopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:21 PM
checkerdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdown View Post
sonu munshi
@smunshi
Moody's downgrades #Glendale's general obligation bond rating; cites payments to NHL for operating losses of the Phoenix Coyotes

Is she Canadian?
I was being sarcastic.

In the past, any negative reporting on the Yotes' situation was usually automatically attributed to the evil nature of the Canadian media.

No, Sonu Munschi is not in fact Canadian.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:58 PM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsey View Post
I've always felt bad for the Coyotes. They have a good team but no one to cheer them on..
It reminds me of a team a long time ago called the Northstars.

NHLfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Gotaf7

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post

100% Saskatoon would get better support than the Yote's presently have, and at NHL ticket prices!

Gotaf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Whileee

What happened to the thread about the Glendale Referendum drive? Just asking...

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:18 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
I was being sarcastic.

In the past, any negative reporting on the Yotes' situation was usually automatically attributed to the evil nature of the Canadian media.

No, Sonu Munschi is not in fact Canadian.
I knew, but it's just bugging to always beeing accused. You see, even, as you could notice, I'm from Quebec City, I would certainly be among the first to enjoy the Yotes staying in Glendale, at least in Phoenix for the fans (I know what it is) The matter of all discussions on those threads from Canadians is actually "How can a city (Glendale) can get into such a mess for a hockey team.

When the same thing appened here and governments let Nordiques go, I was mad and couldn't understand why it was possible. Even if we produce a 75,000 signatures petition, they let go OUR team... Following this saga, I now understand,,, It was an economical decision and without the $ value, salaries ceiling and new arena it was not possible just on fan base.

But for the Yotes, they have a good arena but they lack 2 things, the fan base (low attendance) and the economical situation ($ value, they have to sell tickets at a ridiculous price) Even Moody's don't beleive in their decisions... They would have react the same way in '95 if Quebec had insisted to keep Nordiques