HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Game times to kill Canadian WJC buzz? (TSN's broadcast schedule)

Old
12-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
With the next two Olympics in Sochi and Pyeongchang, this will become common for the Canadian national team.

Hammer Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 09:14 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

vCash: 500
Life is too short and you can sleep after you're dead. Get up early, when everyone else is asleep, have a nice breakfast and coffee and enjoy the tournament. Just be kind enough to keep your yelling to a minimum so you don't wake everyone else up.

KevyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Life is too short and you can sleep after you're dead. Get up early, when everyone else is asleep, have a nice breakfast and coffee and enjoy the tournament. Just be kind enough to keep your yelling to a minimum so you don't wake everyone else up.
Well said. When told to slow down because she was doing too much for a woman in her 80's, my grandmother said, "I'll have plenty of time to rest when I'm dead."

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:14 PM
SH15

How is this something to whine about? I've missed the European hosted tournaments! It comes to Canada, or Canada Jr (Grand Forks/Buffalo) WAY too often now. Almighty dollar I guess.

I'm just torn because this is the first middle of the night WJC since I've acquired a PVR...do I kick it old school and get up at 4am or just PVR it and watch when I get up? So torn. Sleep is so damn good. There was always something special about walking around a dark quiet house in the middle of the night, getting ready to watch a big hockey game. My parents thought I was nuts.

Also, anybody who is whining about a middle of the night WJC, if you love it, it shouldn't matter at all.

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:46 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Unless you are Swedish, Europeans don't care about this tournament. (And I'm speaking in general, not people on this forum.)

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
Unless you are Swedish, Europeans don't care about this tournament. (And I'm speaking in general, not people on this forum.)
Swedes wouldn't care much either if they didn't have good juniors currently. A couple of so-and-so age groups for a couple of years and no medal games, let's see the ratings then.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:27 PM
MikeModano9

Mountain time guy here. Will be staying up... More then likely after a number of Xmas beers, to watch at 2am.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:44 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post

This.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:45 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

xmas, night and wjc. can it be better? i think not.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:51 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Been a while since I've stayed up past 4am my body is ready.

irunthepeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

I actually like these kind of games personally. I am also going to be on my winter break from UNI so it might be different then people who have to wake up for work the next day !

There will be reruns though.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:02 PM
nowhereman

Since I'll be off work with back surgery, during that time, I can just PVR it and watch it as soon as I get up, avoiding the issue of having someone on the radio/at work/etc. spoil the news before a 4pm replay.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Kulluminati

There's a certain sentiment about watching games live, even if they are airing in what can only be defined as middle of the night (EST), so I will engage in this activity for at least one of the games. I will probably end up watching PVR recorded games at my friends house and for those doing the same, you have to remember to stay away from all forms of media because the games aren't nearly as entertaining when you know the outcome.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Cotton500

Hopefully I don't sound too hipster....

TSN has really turned the World Juniors into a mainstream event in Canada, where people who rarely watch hockey are getting emotionally involved in games.

Personally, I liked it a lot better when only hockey fans watched, Paul Romanuk was the announcer, and the games were in the morning (not as early as 4:30 am though)

There was nothing better than waking up as a kid on Christmas break and watching good hockey.

Cotton500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Rocko604
Let's Go Bruins

I'm off work from the 28th til the 5th, so catching the 1am games won't be a concern for me. If not I'll PVR and watch in the morning.

I watched a lot of the 2011 Rugby World Cup and those matches were starting after 1am PST, so I'm well prepared!

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:10 PM
tourlord*

I work night shifts, i know I won't have to work Christmas night and Boxing day night so I should be able to at least watch the Finland game live. This is going to stink for me.

tourlord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Gavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Yup, sure sucks they can't make the teams play in the middle of the night in Russia to please the Canadian tv audiences...
Wow, you need to relax. It's just weird that other teams get at least one reasonable time like 9 am (some get two) and Canada doesn't have one

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Help
Send help

vCash: 50
I wouldn't call it a buzz kill. I actually look forward to waking up early (or staying up late) cracking a beer with family and friends, and enjoying some quality hockey. If I was working I'm sure it'd be a different story, but hey, that's what PVRs and complete social isolation are for, right?

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Kulluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton500 View Post
Hopefully I don't sound too hipster....

TSN has really turned the World Juniors into a mainstream event in Canada, where people who rarely watch hockey are getting emotionally involved in games.

Personally, I liked it a lot better when only hockey fans watched, Paul Romanuk was the announcer, and the games were in the morning (not as early as 4:30 am though)

There was nothing better than waking up as a kid on Christmas break and watching good hockey.
sounds pretty hipster

But I must say I do get a little annoyed when people who normally give no craps about hockey suddenly become fanatics during a short tournament. But, that's always the case for international tournaments, its easier to identify with everyone else that way (I'm guilty of the same during the World Cup, I temporarily become a Canadian of Brazilian decent haha). However, I do like what TSN has done with the tournament, it does get a lot more people involved and makes the whole atmosphere better. Most of the games occur in the middle of the night for me, but some games (like this first Canada v Russia game) is at 9am, I'm sure I will find a bar/pub somewhere in my city that will be open for business and full of team Canada fans like myself.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Rocko604
Let's Go Bruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
Wow, you need to relax. It's just weird that other teams get at least one reasonable time like 9 am (some get two) and Canada doesn't have one
They do vs. Russia.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:27 PM
CR15

I will still watch the games, I have no problem getting up or staying up for 4 am but it won't be the same. I like to have a bunch of ppl over and party and make an event out of it.

Went on vacation last year and missed most of the tourney..... should have waited for this damn year.

CR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Dgill

Atlantic Standard time here, I'm going to be completely exhausted during the days.

Dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Pure West

I think they want to maintain this tournament as a truly international tournament, not just the "TSN Cup" which it essentially becomes if its in Canada every year.

For viewing this, due to work I likely won't be watching these live, and viewing it on tape delay never is the same. It's still a habit to check the web for sports stuff, look at facebook etc. and someway somehow it'll be spoiled for me. I really have to work to shut out the sports world when watching these on delay.

Pure West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:41 PM
therealdeal

PVR for the less competitive games (Canada vs. Germany, sorry Germany, ) and absolutely staying up to watch Canada play Russia and the US!

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:41 PM
darty

PVR -> Wake Up -> Watch (get to skip commercials/intermissions)

Doesn't sound too bad to me, just don't check the internet/sports channels/radio beforehand and you're good to go.

darty is offline   Reply With Quote