HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 01:56 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
McKenzie has

Hamilton
Reilly
Harrington
Oullet
Murphy

as certain.

Then a big group with Siemens in there after that. Tough competition with Reinhart, Dumba, Ceci in there.
I don't think those players are really locks. Hamilton and Reilly yes. Harrington maybe but the rest I can't really see them being locks. I think the defence has the most open spots. I think the only reason Siemens is a dark horse is because he was drafted by the Avs and isn't as flashy as the others, which therefore means he gets less media spotlight.

I think I'll be a little bit surprised if Siemens makes the team, however not as surprised as everyone else will be. From what I saw in his game in the Subway Series, Siemens was very solid and doing everything right.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:44 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Expecting Siemens to get an invite but not expecting him to make the team. With that being said, he definitely fills a role that they could need now that Murray is out for the event.

For those wondering, Duncan missed a pair of games recently as he was visiting his father in hospital. His dad was gravely ill but luckily pulled through and is recovering.

Duncan returned to the team and had arguably his best game of the season vs. Lethbridge on Tuesday and was named 1st star.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Our prospects and players are always underrated (Shattenkirk went from off everyones radar to "better than EJ") and I generally think its no big deal, like when Siemens isn't called a top 50 prospect, because whatever, its generally arguable. But a quick look at the prospect forum made me crack up, there are some posters who don't even have him in their top 10 D prospects of the 2011 draft.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:48 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Team Canada tryout camp roster is being named today. Realistic chance we could have two prospects on it from the WHL.

Will Siemens and Smith make the cut?

Old
12-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
You think Smith would be a decent 3rd/4th liner? I've never seen him play but I was under the impression from his size he might not be fit for the grinding role. Doubt he gets the call for a top 6 spot.

Siemens though, I honestly think they'd be fools not to at least invite. He could anchor a pairing for an offensive guy and really allow someone like Reilly or even Murphy to do their thing without worrying about the defensive side of things.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Team Canada tryout camp roster is being named today. Realistic chance we could have two prospects on it from the WHL.

Will Siemens and Smith make the cut?
Based on what I've seen from Hockey Canada for the past 12-15 years, I'd be willing to bet that no, neither player gets invited to camp.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:45 AM
klozge
Avs

vCash: 500
Both didn't make it.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
Both didn't make it.
Shocker.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Not all that surprised Siemens didnt make it, though I feel he should have maybe been given more of a chance over some of the younger guys, but not surprised really, he hasnt had all that great of a year to this point.

Smith on the other hand was surprising, dont see howa guy playing at almost a 2PPG can be left off the camp. Very surprising to me.

Hopefully they both take this as motivation to show Canada what theyre missing out on. Siemens especially should take this as motivation. He can play better then alot of those camp invitees, hopfully he goes out and shows it.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:40 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Shocker.
I cheer for USA anyway, but I swear Hockey Canada has something against Avs prospects. I mean Lipon over Smith? Just because they're tied in points doesn't make Lipon better. I've seen both countless times and Smith is overall the better prospect of the two.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Poor Duncan, continually underrated. So RS, out of those given invites, which ones would you honestly trade Siemens for if you were given the choice?

Old
12-03-2012, 01:58 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

TBH I don't think Siemens has been playing well enough (until lately) to warrant an invite. I would've taken Siemens over Corrado, Pouliot, and Ouellet as I think Rielly, Murphy, Sproul, and Dumba all fit the bill offensively. But Canada already has their shutdown defensemen in Wotherspoon (who deserves the invite) and Harrington (who will make the team).

Lipon was chosen over Smith due to being able to play a bottom 6 roll. Smith is clearly better offensively and talent wise, but Lipon is much better in a grinding role than Smith.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

It's a bit annoying that Lipon had chosen to go to the Avs camp (there were three other teams wanting him for theirs) and then the lockout came. Now he most likely will be drafted in the summer.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:40 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
It's a bit annoying that Lipon had chosen to go to the Avs camp (there were three other teams wanting him for theirs) and then the lockout came. Now he most likely will be drafted in the summer.
if a season does end up being played is he still allowed to come to our training camp?

Old
12-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
if a season does end up being played is he still allowed to come to our training camp?
Once a player is in a junior hockey league, I don't think they can be recalled to NHL.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Poor Duncan, continually underrated. So RS, out of those given invites, which ones would you honestly trade Siemens for if you were given the choice?
Or continually overrated here.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:58 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Or continually overrated here.
He is pretty underrated here as well.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
There's no conspiracy against Avs prospects. I'm pretty sure Barrie, Elliott, Hishon, and Siemens have all been invited to Team Canada's camp before. Barrie is the only one to actually make the team and he played great.

Siemens isn't overrated or a bust like some seem to suggest but you're lying to yourself if you think he has played great since being drafted by the Avs. He was inconsistent last season (the concussion didn't help) and I haven't watched any of his games this season but based on what I have read, it doesn't seem like his play has been anything special. There are many Canadian players who are outplaying him and I don't think he deserves to be on the team.

As for this lighting a fire under his ass and him using this as motivation, he shouldn't need any extra motivation to play well. I also recall people saying the same thing last year as well. I'm still a big believer in Siemens and think he will be a big part of the Avs future but I definitely don't have the same level of excitement as I did when we drafted him. I thought he was at least three years away (two in junior and one in the AHL) but I expected him to make a bigger improvement than he has.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:09 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Not terribly surprised by the lack of an invite today, although I feel like Siemens should have definitely been on the list. In the end, he told me that he was told the 'distraction' of him losing the C earlier this season wasn't something Team Canada really wanted to take on. Kind of a BS excuse, especially considering the kid has been playing his best hockey of the last 2 seasons within the last 3 weeks.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:12 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Not really a fair question, but I will answer anyways...atleast out of the D named to camp today.

The guys I would trade Siemens for, considering our prospect stable:

Hamilton
Reinhart
Rielly
Dumba, maybe

I really like guys like Harrington, Ouellet and Sproul but I think Siemens is still well above them in terms of potential.

Pouliot would be in the mix too, but we already have good offensive D prospects.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:16 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Hamilton over Ouellet? RS, nooooooooooooo!

Old
12-03-2012, 09:50 PM
chet1926

Colin Smith and Duncan Siemens not getting invites is just further proof that the selections are all political. Siemens isn't necessarily top end dman but he sure better than some of the selections for the camp. And how does the leading WHL scorer not even get an invite? That is a big time joke, especially if you are going to invite JC Lipon. I'm not going to buy into any Colorado prospect bias, but those two not getting an invite is kind of pathetic on team Canada's part.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

No doubt politics plays a part and it's hard to kick players off the team if they've been there before. But also, Canada have a wealth of players. They have the luxury of being able to pick and choose, depending on how they want the team to play.

There have been many mistakes in the past and some Avs prospects overlooked, but I suspect most fans of other teams feel Team Canada has overlooked one of their guys as well.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:56 PM
chet1926

Quote:
No doubt politics plays a part and it's hard to kick players off the team if they've been there before. But also, Canada have a wealth of players. They have the luxury of being able to pick and choose, depending on how they want the team to play.

There have been many mistakes in the past and some Avs prospects overlooked, but I suspect most fans of other teams feel Team Canada has overlooked one of their guys as well.
I can live with Siemens not getting a look as his play has been up and down this year, but Colin Smith has been spectacular this year in the WHL. So its not like he couldn't have been noticed. To omit the leading WHL scorer from the camp is just plain stupidity.

I understand Canada has many players to choose from, but I don't know how they can turn a blind eye to Smith and his play this year. Oh well at least Smith seems like the type of player that uses this kind of stuff as a motivation. Lets not forget that he got passed over many times in the draft before we took him in the 7th rd last year. I think this will in the long run help him in is attempt to make the Avs.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
It will depend on what the NHL and the CHL work out. One would imagine that if teams have mini camps, that any player invited prior to the lockout would still be allowed to go. Would look bad on the CHL if they blocked that. I know everyone focuses on Lipon, but Cameron Brace is quietly potting goals left and right too.

Closed Thread