HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Newly sharpened skates are an issue

Old
12-03-2012, 02:06 PM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Interesting that Fleury gets a 3/4 while the other goalies get a 3/8

I also found this video with the Nashville Predators' equipment manager talking about skate sharpening http://video.predators.nhl.com/video...sole?id=101671
3/8 is very extreme for a goalie. 3/4 is pretty standard but I could see an NHL goalie going with a narrower hollow. Because goalies slide side to side a narrow hollow will catch if their technique isn't good.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:17 PM
forbs02
Blergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
3/8 is very extreme for a goalie. 3/4 is pretty standard but I could see an NHL goalie going with a narrower hollow. Because goalies slide side to side a narrow hollow will catch if their technique isn't good.
Not anymore. The trend has swung to the other side of the spectrum. High-end goaltenders are skating on much deeper hollows than even 7 years ago. 1/2" and deeper is very common. You will even come across goalies who want 1/4", which is insane and a pain to sharpen.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you go back and forth between FBV and regular it will wear the blades down quicker but otherwise it's not much different.

I started 100/50 but have been doing 90/75 for a long time. One time I did 90/50 but it didn't have enough bite for me.

And yeah...first skate with it, glide is 10x better!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:27 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbs02 View Post
Not anymore. The trend has swung to the other side of the spectrum. High-end goaltenders are skating on much deeper hollows than even 7 years ago. 1/2" and deeper is very common. You will even come across goalies who want 1/4", which is insane and a pain to sharpen.
Like I said, it makes sense for very good goaltenders because their technique in their lateral movement is good. If you happen to catch and edge with a 1/4 hollow you're going to flying over yourself though. Sharpening that would be the exact same though.... the only pain is the drastic changes to the wheel.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:28 PM
forbs02
Blergh

Quote:
Like I said, it makes sense for very good goaltenders because their technique in their lateral movement is good. If you happen to catch and edge with a 1/4 hollow you're going to flying over yourself though.
Yeah, I always wonder how they don't break an ankle!

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If you go back and forth between FBV and regular it will wear the blades down quicker but otherwise it's not much different.

I started 100/50 but have been doing 90/75 for a long time. One time I did 90/50 but it didn't have enough bite for me.

And yeah...first skate with it, glide is 10x better!
Alright, thanks for the additional info. I did some more reading, and made the decision to try out FBV. I've been having pretty much the same problem the OP has had (hated sharp skate, took a few skates to start to feel comfortable again). Going from there I'm leaning towards going 90/75 on the first go. Any thoughts? Should I start with 100/75?

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What hollow do you use now?

If you are at 1/2" or deeper, try 100/50. Over 1/2", try 90/75.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Yeah I'm at 1/2, though I feel that it may be a tad too deep. I'll go with a 100/75 to start though. Figure it out from there. Thanks

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
I just switched to FBV a couple of sharpenings ago. I found that the glide is much better with FBV than it was with traditional.

The previous time I tried 5/8, but didn't feel that it was quite enough bite. On the FBV I got 100/50 the first time but yesterday it was a different shop and they didn't have the same system, so instead of 100/50 they said it was equivalent to a 7? The sharpening was fine, a little chattery at first on stops but that went away fairly quickly.

I was told by a teammate that FBV would wear down the blades faster on cheaper skates. The guy in the pro shop said it really wasn't any difference between traditional and FBV as far as wearing down the blades. Has anyone else heard that it does?

It really is a matter of preference. If you're not a great skater, you can certainly work on skating - but if having a different radius makes a difference, why not try it?
This.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I've seen that chart before, and I still find it hard to believe that Gonchar skates on a 1" cut.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:21 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I've seen that chart before, and I still find it hard to believe that Gonchar skates on a 1" cut.
It seems almost impossible... that's drastic for a goalie never mind a player

Old
12-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
I consider it ****ing awesome. I love those bizarro stories, like Coffey's skates being two sizes too small.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
What hollow do you use now?

If you are at 1/2" or deeper, try 100/50. Over 1/2", try 90/75.
I could google it but you explain things so well.

What do the two numbers represent? I tried FBV at one point and loved it. Then I took a six or 12 month break from skating, tried it again and hated it. There was too much lateral slide when I was skating straight ahead and I lost all confidence in stopping suddenly. I went back to 1/2 and felt solid on my skates again.

I'm tempted to give FBV one more try, especially if I can sort out the exact cut I should use.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:27 AM
Fanned On It

Man I feel like a weirdo on here here using 7/16 as a forward lol. I consider myself a decent skater and I love the bite I get with a 7/16 sharpening. I also sharpen my own skates (one of the best in the tri-state area! ;-) ) so I'm real particular about how they feel.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:23 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Man I feel like a weirdo on here here using 7/16 as a forward lol. I consider myself a decent skater and I love the bite I get with a 7/16 sharpening. I also sharpen my own skates (one of the best in the tri-state area! ;-) ) so I'm real particular about how they feel.
I sharpen my own skates too and I've tried everything from 3/8 to 5/8. I ended up just sticking with the 1/2 inch.. I find as long as I sharpen them every couple of games I get solid bite while not losing the glide which I did notice I lost at the smaller radius'

Old
12-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
I could google it but you explain things so well.

What do the two numbers represent? I tried FBV at one point and loved it. Then I took a six or 12 month break from skating, tried it again and hated it. There was too much lateral slide when I was skating straight ahead and I lost all confidence in stopping suddenly. I went back to 1/2 and felt solid on my skates again.

I'm tempted to give FBV one more try, especially if I can sort out the exact cut I should use.
Let's say this is the skate blade (upside down), there's two "teeth" on the outside and a flat gap (bottom) between them:

|\______/|

The first number is the length of the flat gap and the second is the height of the teeth.

Beyond that it's over my head, so here's a technical explanation:

Technical Explanation

From there it looks like:

100/75 ~ 3/8"
100/50 ~ 1/2"
90/75 ~ 3/4"
90/50 ~ 1"+

Of course that's simplifying and the FBV will have better glide than a corresponding traditional hollow.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
flyers10

Quote:
When Jim Johnson used to coach a team with PF Changs (Jr. Coyotes now) he had his kids using something like 1 1/4". Some of them still swear by it even after he moved on a few years ago.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
3/8 is very extreme for a goalie. 3/4 is pretty standard but I could see an NHL goalie going with a narrower hollow.
This is completely wrong.

Quote:
It seems almost impossible... that's drastic for a goalie never mind a player
It isn't just drastic for a goalie, it's completely and nonsensically retarded and something no competent goalie would use. Goalies don't typically get flatter hollows. This isn't the 80's.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:01 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
This is completely wrong.
..no it's not?

Quote:
It isn't just drastic for a goalie, it's completely and nonsensically retarded and something no competent goalie would use. Goalies don't typically get flatter hollows. This isn't the 80's.
Goalies do get wider hollows... the blades on a goalie skate are wider than a players skate, thus wider hollows.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:11 PM
nullterm

I skate on a 3/4" hollow because I found anything lower would bite into the ice too much. Give it a shot, can't hurt.

I even tried 1" hollow, felt great for gliding and transitions, but always felt a step behind trying to stay with going driving the net while on D.

But if you are just trying to work on technique 1" might make a good starting point and then work your way down to 3/4", etc as you get more confident and build ankle/leg strength.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
..no it's not?

Goalies do get wider hollows... the blades on a goalie skate are wider than a players skate, thus wider hollows.
Yes it is. You've obviously completely missed the point. He isn't talking about the width of the blade.

He is completely correct, in the 80's 3/4 was standard for goalies because they had to move around quicker on their feet but now with the wide use of the butterfly it is necessary to have a deeper hollow for grip when pushing off while on your knees

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 12-07-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:26 PM
AIREAYE

I find more and more goalies are using 1/2" now, dunno if it's a majority.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:41 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
most of the goalies i know are 3/8th with a few who want 1/4

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
I've always had 1/2 half for my goalie skates. Many moons ago when I was just a kid and first started playing goalie I had no idea what grind was the best to get so I just told the guy in the shop to do whatever and I guess he went for 1/2 to be on the safe side since it is like the middle ground, and I've always had that since because I'm used to it.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:54 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Yes it is. You've obviously completely missed the point. He isn't talking about the width of the blade.

He is completely correct, in the 80's 3/4 was standard for goalies because they had to move around quicker on their feet but now with the wide use of the butterfly it is necessary to have a deeper hollow for grip when pushing off while on your knees
No I didn't miss the point at all, he's wrong. The blades are wider.... the radius is how wide the hollow is. Naturally the radius is wider for a goalie skate than a player skate. A 3/4 radius for a goalie skate is similar to a 1/2 or a 5/8 player cut. A 1/2 cut is similar to a 3/8 player cut. Etc. Going all the way down to 3/8 for a goalie is very drastic. Some goalies may like that but it's still drastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
most of the goalies i know are 3/8th with a few who want 1/4
I have no idea where you play but that is unheard of... 1/4 is insane. Never in my life have I seen it.

Quote:
Yeah 1/2 is pretty normal but I wouldn't call it the majority.