*OFFICIAL* Soo Greyhounds 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 02:49 PM
prowatcher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoSanchez15 View Post
Two more top defencemen? And where do they slot in?

Top 4 of Sproul, Miller, Nurse and Gudbranson are pretty solid. Ganly has been much better than I could have expected and is perfect as the #5. Then you still have Buonomo who granted hasn't had the best start to his season with the Hounds is still fine to play bottom pairing minutes.

If anything the Hounds could use some scoring outside the top 2 lines.
I agree in what you are saying but on the ice it looks like we have 2 differant teams playing.The Soo have the scoring but the forwards are not back checking and help on defences.Having good player that are not playing well together you need to shake things up.The geame is chemistry and right now it isnt there. with how the D men and the forwards are playing.Something has to give?

Old
11-29-2012, 08:37 PM
mapleleaf979

David Miller signed. This guy is so under-rated its not even funny. His skill is often over shadowed by his height. Fantastic 6th round pick. He may be the only 6th rounder signed? Complete player and a battler. U get the sense that he hates losing. Tough as nails. Great hockey sense. Great skater, great vision, excellent decisions all over the ice. The bigger the game, the bigger he shows up. Point per game in the OJHL. Co-Captain of OHL cup winning team.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
David Miller signed. This guy is so under-rated its not even funny. His skill is often over shadowed by his height. Fantastic 6th round pick. He may be the only 6th rounder signed? Complete player and a battler. U get the sense that he hates losing. Tough as nails. Great hockey sense. Great skater, great vision, excellent decisions all over the ice. The bigger the game, the bigger he shows up. Point per game in the OJHL. Co-Captain of OHL cup winning team.
Totally agree. Fabbri, Miller + Evans were the stars of the 96 Rebels. I think if Miller had a few more inches he would have been a 1st rd pick. Doesn't play small.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Totally agree. Fabbri, Miller + Evans were the stars of the 96 Rebels. I think if Miller had a few more inches he would have been a 1st rd pick. Doesn't play small.
Robby Fabbri a top 6 pick is listed on the OHL draft site as 5"10' 150lbs.

David Miller is listed on the OHL draft site as 5"9' 155 lbs.

Miller has nice skill and is an excellent skater, but comparing the two Fabbri's compete level is off the charts relative to Miller. I'm not sure Miller lives, breathes and sleeps hockey like Fabbri does.......just my two cents.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Robby Fabbri a top 6 pick is listed on the OHL draft site as 5"10' 150lbs.

David Miller is listed on the OHL draft site as 5"9' 155 lbs.

Miller has nice skill and is an excellent skater, but comparing the two Fabbri's compete level is off the charts relative to Miller. I'm not sure Miller lives, breathes and sleeps hockey like Fabbri does.......just my two cents.
I don't know how accurate those numbers are but Fabbri hits like a big boy, Miller played Robin to Fabbri's Batman.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
I don't know how accurate those numbers are but Fabbri hits like a big boy, Miller played Robin to Fabbri's Batman.
Must be a reason(s) one went top 10 and the other fell to the 6th round is my point, as sizes are relatively similiar even of one doesn't buy official OHL punlished height and weight....

Old
11-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Must be a reason(s) one went top 10 and the other fell to the 6th round is my point, as sizes are relatively similiar even of one doesn't buy official OHL punlished height and weight....
I think Miller looks smaller on the ice. His abilities were much better than 6th rd. Who knows? Too many teams are too fixated on 6:3 220 lbs who really aren't that good. I thought Miller did much more than Hargrave last year.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
I think Miller looks smaller on the ice. His abilities were much better than 6th rd. Who knows? Too many teams are too fixated on 6:3 220 lbs who really aren't that good. I thought Miller did much more than Hargrave last year.
I agree with you 100%....time will tell as with all kids.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:49 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
I heard he was considering NCAA and that is why he dropped to 6th round.

Old
11-30-2012, 06:11 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Your right. That reason was the one u pointed out as well, his compete level. His "ill die for the team atitude". Fabbri is also more dangerous/consistant in the Offensive zone that Miller. Miller also has nice offensive skills. In my opinion David Miller would be having more of an impact on the Belleville Bulls over a player like #10 overall Niki Petti. I think Miller has a future in the NHL. He is incredibly smart. Miller in my view can succeed in the OHL right now. I think Miller should have gone Round 2 or Round 3. At the same time, I think Miller brings more to the table than say Dante Salituro and Jeremiah Addison both first round picks. He and Fabbri are almost identical heights and weights. Miller was often over-looked it was puzzling, so were some of his teammates Jenkins, Santino Centorame, Jake Evans. Also MAtt Alvaro cut from the same mentality as Fabbri but is smaller and less offensively skilled. U never have to ask Alvaro to give more effort. Gotta love that.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 11-30-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old
11-30-2012, 06:50 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Couldnt agree with u more . Miller and Stuart Ilekys were over looked. Ilekys was so impressive for Don Mills. So fast, Dangerous and scary on the PK(lead the GTHL in PK goals I believe). Ilekys is flourishing with U18 Cleveland Barons. Makes me wonder where Christian Rajic is going to fall too. Mitch Marner is another who may fall a tad, but few impact the game in the GTHL every night like Marner.

Old
12-01-2012, 02:31 PM
newfy

How has Sproul been looking? I know hes producing like crazy but how has the rest of his game looked? I hope his defensive play has improved and hes throwing around his weight more with that big frame. I saw he got in a fight yesterday, did he win?

Old
12-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Styx and Stones

Greyhounds replace head coach. GM acting first before he is let go?

Old
12-03-2012, 10:26 AM
CharlieGirl

Keefe has had a ton of success in Pembroke. Wonder how long it'll take Frost to move to the Soo...

Old
12-03-2012, 10:35 AM
IcemanTBI

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ls.asp?c=50583

About time Stapleton got the axe. This team has far underperformed this year considering the talent they had. Its a bit surprising it came now, as they just came off what was imo the best game they played this year against owen sound. Perhaps the players knew this was coming on saturday?

Keefe has had alot of success with Pembroke, but this is the ohl and whether or not that success will follow him in the ohl is another question. Its another inexperienced coach and with some of the characters on this team, I would have hoped they would have brought someone in with experience. Thats not to say Keefe wont do well, but who knows? But the one thing that was for sure is that Stapleton had to go. He had his chance and this team has been pi** poor under his tenure.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Keefe has had a ton of success in Pembroke. Wonder how long it'll take Frost to move to the Soo...
That's exactly what I was thinking....if you've read Steve Simmons book on the matter, you'd be apprehensive to say the least. Yikes!

Old
12-03-2012, 10:48 AM
IcemanTBI

Quote:
That's exactly what I was thinking....if you've read Steve Simmons book on the matter, you'd be apprehensive to say the least. Yikes!
You mean DAVID FROST? Whats the corelation between him and Keefe?

Old
12-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Tonester01

I believe Frost was Keefe's agent and they had connection to the infamous tier 2 Quinte Hawks team where Frost was an assistant coach and Keefe was a player.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Ottomatic

Keefe is one of the infamous "Brampton Boys", part of the Frost Gong Show.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:41 AM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post
http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ls.asp?c=50583

About time Stapleton got the axe. This team has far underperformed this year considering the talent they had. Its a bit surprising it came now, as they just came off what was imo the best game they played this year against owen sound. Perhaps the players knew this was coming on saturday?

Keefe has had alot of success with Pembroke, but this is the ohl and whether or not that success will follow him in the ohl is another question. Its another inexperienced coach and with some of the characters on this team, I would have hoped they would have brought someone in with experience. Thats not to say Keefe wont do well, but who knows? But the one thing that was for sure is that Stapleton had to go. He had his chance and this team has been pi** poor under his tenure.
I don't get the inexperienced coach part. Coaching Pembroke to 5 straight tier II league titles twice going to the Royal Bank Cup-winning once,Coached Canada East team at world challenge.How much experience do you need before you are considered inexperienced?

Old
12-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Keefe is one of the infamous "Brampton Boys", part of the Frost Gong Show.
Keefe also refused to testify in the trial in Quinte against Frost; without his and a few other player's testimony the prosecution's case died.....prosecution lawyer was inept, but those former players not coming clean re Frost basically ruined the case.

You want disgusting? Read Simmon's book....

Old
12-03-2012, 02:42 PM
IcemanTBI

Definitely going to pick up that book and give it a read.

I really am mixed about this hiring. On one hand, Keefe has had success and I hadnt realized that he coached in the Hockey Canada program which gives him credibility, plus he had a ton of success with Pembroke. While I would prefer seeing someone with some OHL experience, he does seem to have the chops for the job. On the other hand though, its all about optics and how this will affect recruitment. The David Frost shadow will always hang over him, and I can't see how this won't hamper recruitment somewhat. Dubas is taking a risk here, it could pay off or it could backfire especially if draftees don't want to report. I mean, put yourself in the shoes of a parent of a 16 year old draftee. Would you feel comfortable having someone who was associated with David Frost being a mentor to your kid?

It's all about optics, and the optics arent that great here.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post
Definitely going to pick up that book and give it a read.

I really am mixed about this hiring. On one hand, Keefe has had success and I hadnt realized that he coached in the Hockey Canada program which gives him credibility, plus he had a ton of success with Pembroke. While I would prefer seeing someone with some OHL experience, he does seem to have the chops for the job. On the other hand though, its all about optics and how this will affect recruitment. The David Frost shadow will always hang over him, and I can't see how this won't hamper recruitment somewhat. Dubas is taking a risk here, it could pay off or it could backfire especially if draftees don't want to report. I mean, put yourself in the shoes of a parent of a 16 year old draftee. Would you feel comfortable having someone who was associated with David Frost being a mentor to your kid?

It's all about optics, and the optics arent that great here.
Alot of people are sadly unaware of David Frost's past, or should I say his current alias Jim McCauley....hopefully that is truly behind Keefe and there is no connection anymore.

You would think Hockey Canada would have vetted him thoroughly to have had him associated with Canada East recently, not to mention Dubas also no doubt did his homework.

Ultmiately, it appears this was a risk the Greyhounds are comfortable with.....hopefully it works out.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:44 PM
everett331

[QUOTE=Crottenham;56213605]Alot of people are sadly unaware of David Frost's past, or should I say his current alias Jim McCauley....hopefully that is truly behind Keefe and there is no connection anymore.

You would think Hockey Canada would have vetted him thoroughly to have had him associated with Canada East recently, not to mention Dubas also no doubt did his homework.

Ultmiately, it appears this was a risk the Greyhounds are comfortable with.....hopefully it works out.[/QU I have been a season ticket holder for the Pembroke and Keefe has moved on with his life and that part, the years he spent here where productive on and off the ice. He spent lots of time working with the comunity programs and demands the player does as well. The players that played here speak highly of him as a person and as a coach. He will not only be a good coach but direct the kids playing for him in a good direction. You can go to Pembroke LumberKings @PLKingsCCHL twitter account and see some of the messages left for him from players and parents.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:44 PM
eye for hockey

[QUOTE=everett331;56214711][QUOTE=Crottenham;56213605]Alot of people are sadly unaware of David Frost's past, or should I say his current alias Jim McCauley....hopefully that is truly behind Keefe and there is no connection anymore.

Ultmiately, it appears this was a risk the Greyhounds are comfortable with.....hopefully it works out.[/QU I have been a season ticket holder for the Pembroke and Keefe has moved on with his life and that part, the years he spent here where productive on and off the ice. He spent lots of time working with the comunity programs and demands the player does as well. The players that played here speak highly of him as a person and as a coach. He will not only be a good coach but direct the kids playing for him in a good direction. You can go to Pembroke LumberKings @PLKingsCCHL twitter account and see some of the messages left for him from players and parents.[/QUOTE

Great quote , lets give him time and see how things work out, motivation of players, trades, player development .

Last edited by eye for hockey: 12-03-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Closed Thread