HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hall for Seguin

Old
12-03-2012, 11:47 AM
CupofOil

vCash: 500
Actually, needswise, this type of deal makes a lot of sense for both sides as long as Seguin can transition to center but Hall has a special quality about him that makes him the most untouchable Oiler IMO. He just has the "it" factor not only with his on ice play but with his dealings with the media as well. The guy just screams leader in every way and will be the guy leading the charge when/if the Oilers are ready to compete.
I don't think that Seguin would handle a fishbowl like Edmonton very well even though he fits the Oilers needs better than Hall.

I could see Hall fitting into the Boston culture very well, he seems like a Bruins type of player who will stand up to any player, go balls out every shift and not shy away from physicality plus the Bruins already have a dynamic 1-2 punch down the middle with Krejci and Bergeron so having Hall on the wing would make that team all the more dynamic IMO.

It's quite possible that Seguin ends up as the better overall player but Hall is just a special player and fits perfectly in Edmonton while Seguin seems to be a good fit in Boston so neither team does this deal.

Actually, this post sums it up perfectly.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
As much as I love Hall and I'm not going into who's better now or in the future. Just purely from a needs prospective I don't see why either team swaps players.

Boston already has plenty of grit and "North South" power players (Looch, Horts, Caron) on their roster. What they need is that finesse player who can stretch the ice and thinks the game at a high level.

Edmonton on the other hand has plenty of those finesse players (Eberle, RNH, Hemsky) and really lacks the grit, power and leadership that Hall provides.

It would seem that both teams already have what they need and are more than happy with these two players. Both are going to have great careers and I look forward to seeing both of them progress into the elite players they both have the potential to be.

Last edited by CupofOil: 12-03-2012 at 12:09 PM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:50 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Hahahahahaha
you laugh, but he's been a pro for three seasons and each of those seasons he's missed time due to injury.

never going to deny the talent, but to try to deny the fact that he is injury prone is being disingenuous

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:53 AM
The Hockey Tonk Man

bruins fans keep seguin, oiler fans keep hall...
both teams are stoked.

The Hockey Tonk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:55 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
I'm saying his injury issues are overblown he's missed 37 games in his career but 17 were from twisting his ankle while falling at the end of a fight and 2 were from getting his face stepped on in warmup. Over half of his missed games were freak accidents that did not occur on hockey plays.
he also missed the last 11 games of the year last year from a concussion.

Started the season on the IR this year from the same concussion.

The fact that he has sustained injuries from issues other than playing hockey actually lends more credibility to the belief that he is injury prone than not.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:58 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
It happens rather often, one year a guy misses a bunch of games then the next he plays all or almost all of them. Not sure why that is such a tough concept to grasp?

Yet, everyone misses games at some point, I'm just using him as an example because people talk up his durability while he missed games in juniors.
Not tough to grasp.

Just cannot be applied to Taylor Hall. The FACT's are that he as missed time in each of his three pro seasons due to injury.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:59 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
he also missed the last 11 games of the year last year from a concussion.

Started the season on the IR this year from the same concussion.

The fact that he has sustained injuries from issues other than playing hockey actually lends more credibility to the belief that he is injury prone than not.
This isn't true. Hall would have been fine to return from that concussion last season. He stayed out the end of last season and the start of this one to get a shoulder he hurt in juniour surgically repaired.

And as many have stated neither team does this deal. Oiler fans love Hall and Bruin fans love Seguin.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:01 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Taylor Hall arm injury-Shoulder surgery. check
Twisting ankle-missing games.check
Having your face stomped on-missing more games.Check

Whether you would care to admit it or not Messier 2,Taylor Hall is injury prone.
Hall shoulder injury - Legit concern but it has been repaired and he seems fine as evidenced by him laying out some monster hits already this season.
Twisting Ankle - Total freak accident, caught a rut in Rexall's horrible ice during a fight.
Having you face stomped on - Yeah, Potter accidently landing on Hall during a practice skate is surely a sign of someone who is injury prone.
I sometimes wonder if you are an Oiler fan. Anyway......

It's a bit concerning the way Hall skates with his head down and with his reckless style but he went his whole career up until last year injury free before hurting his shoulder and ending up with the concussion last season so it's not like he has a long history of legit hockey injuries, just a lot of bad luck.
He does need to tweak his style if he wants to sustain a long, productive career, that i will agree with.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
As a Rangers/Wild fan, I'd take Seguin right now. He has the much better history and an non-skated over face. I'll take a healthy Seguin who puts up almost a PPG at 19 but has attitude problems over an injured Hall who misses half a season every year.

Attitude problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
The fact of the matter is, the Oilers are a better team with Hall then they would be with Seguin. You win championships with teams led by players like hall.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:11 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Being injury prone doesn't just mean getting knocked out in a hockey play. Freak accidents count too. Regardless of HOW he gets injured and the excuse-making, the fact that he finds himself on the IR in is first three pro seasons will make people question his durability going forward until he can prove he can play a full season without a serious injury.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:13 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
This isn't true. Hall would have been fine to return from that concussion last season. He stayed out the end of last season and the start of this one to get a shoulder he hurt in juniour surgically repaired.

And as many have stated neither team does this deal. Oiler fans love Hall and Bruin fans love Seguin.
OK, so it wasn't the concussion that kept him out of the line up last year and to beging this year. It was the shoulder surgery?

So, we have had, in 2.25 years of Professional Hockey, the following:

Broken Ankle
Skated on Face
Concussion
Shoulder Surgery

From

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...showAllMoves=1

MOVEMENTS & INJURIES

2011-12

4/07/2012 Missed the last 11 games of the regular season (concussion).
3/18/2012 Concussion, sidelined indefinitely.
1/21/2012 Missed 2 games (head injury).
1/19/2012 Head injury, day-to-day.
1/17/2012 Head injury, injured reserve.
12/15/2011 Missed 7 games (left shoulder injury).
11/30/2011 Left shoulder injury, injured reserve.
11/28/2011 Left shoulder injury, day-to-day.

2010-11

4/10/2011 Missed the last 17 games of the regular season (ankle injury).
3/05/2011 Ankle injury, remainder of the season.

Don't know about the rest of you guys, but that's 4 seperate issues over a 2 year span.

Regardless of the where, when or how, Taylor Hall seems pretty injury prone to me.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:16 PM
b in vancouver

There are two reasons why I would keep Seguin over Hall.

That this is his 3rd pro season in which he's missed significant time of each is a concern as injuries can build up and age the body pretty quickly. I think of Samsonov - and people forget how amazing he was - short, built like a tank, in and out of traffic, Wow factor - but started getting a bunch of small injuries that eventually built-up, eventual wrist surgery, and he was never the same. I hope very much that this doesn't happen with Hall but until he proves he can stay healthy then this question remains.

The other is that I am more impressed with Seguin's arc over the past few years and that he is improving at a quicker rate than Hall is and I want to see where it ends.

I think Hall is fantastic and along with Tavares and Seguin is among my favourite young players to watch and hope that we get to see them play together a few times for Canada

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:17 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

Attitude problems?

Ok, so every player on the Bruins or any other cup winner is the kind of player that leads teams to championships (even if they were scratched for half the playoffs)

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:25 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Ok, so every player on the Bruins or any other cup winner is the kind of player that leads teams to championships (even if they were scratched for half the playoffs)
Get your history right. Seguin led that team to the cup bro.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Get your history right. Seguin led that team to the cup bro.
Well considering that Hall can't even lead the Oilers to the playoffs I think it's an appropriate response to the post that I quoted.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Oates2Neely

Im a fan of Hall, I hope he has a long & healthy career. It sucks to us hockey fans who are robbed of watching a player with such talent (Lindros Forsberg Bure Neely etc..)

But to those Oiler fans claiming Hall 'isnt injury risk", he certainly is. You all come to the defense of Hemsky also when the same subject is raised. It's a touchy subject in Edmonton.

I remember fans labeling Bergeron "injury risk" when Randy Jones rammed him head first from behind into the boards. It wasnt Bergerons fault (freak injury?), but fact is, he missed significant time, & the concussion issues lingered for a while.

Like I said, I hope Hall avoids injury from here on out, but thus far his track record isn't great.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Well considering that Hall can't even lead the Oilers to the playoffs I think it's an appropriate response to the post that I quoted.
I don't think Crosby could lead the Oilers to the playoffs.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:55 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
You're still missing the point.

It's a team game. Crosby couldn't even lead the Penguins out of 2nd last place in his rookie season. I guess he won't ever win a cup

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:59 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Neutral fan saying Oils should make that deal. Having RNH and Seguin at center would be huge. They have two top RW in Yakupov and Eberle too. All they would need to find is a couple of complimentary players in their top 6 and it'd be quite dominant. Center is a lot harder of a hole to fill than wing, and most cup wingers have essentially 2x #1 centers.
Sequin doesn't play center. Listed as such but doesn't play it so its a moot point

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:12 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Both teams wouldn't do this trade, but neither team would be hurt if they did.

As a Bruins fan, I love Tyler Seguin, but wanted Hall on draft day, and would still prefer him now. That said, I don't think Hall is 'better'; I just like his playing style more.

Would be great if we get to see them match-up in a few finals in their careers. Be like Bird vs. Magic on the ice.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Hall was drafted onto a crap team. Seguin was drafted to a contending team.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Both teams are happy with their guy, how many times does this need to be said? These trade threads need to stop.

Last edited by Puritania: 12-03-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Hall was drafted onto a crap team. Seguin was drafted to a contending team.
Yeah but did you see the picture with Seguin holding the cup?

Check mate.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:25 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Personally I would pick Seguin over Hall.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Im a fan of Hall, I hope he has a long & healthy career. It sucks to us hockey fans who are robbed of watching a player with such talent (Lindros Forsberg Bure Neely etc..)

But to those Oiler fans claiming Hall 'isnt injury risk", he certainly is. You all come to the defense of Hemsky also when the same subject is raised. It's a touchy subject in Edmonton.

I remember fans labeling Bergeron "injury risk" when Randy Jones rammed him head first from behind into the boards. It wasnt Bergerons fault (freak injury?), but fact is, he missed significant time, & the concussion issues lingered for a while.

Like I said, I hope Hall avoids injury from here on out, but thus far his track record isn't great.
You bring up an excellent point here. I'll admit, I'm guilty of getting defensive when I hear people talk about Hall being injury prone and saying he'll never have as much value as so and so because of all his injuries but your comment about Bergeron is exactly why I get defensive. Let me ask you, how many regular season games has Bergeron missed in the past 3 years?? The answer for anyone who is too lazy to look it up is 12, and IMO 12 games in 3 seasons is pretty damn good considering the physicality of the sport.

My point is that, sure, Hall has had some bad luck early on in his career with injuries but most of them were freak injuries which shouldn't cause him any more grief in the future with exception to possibly the concussion. He is still very young just like Bergeron was when he had injury woes and just look how he turned out. The only thing that worries me a little about Hall is that his reckless style might cause him to get hurt more and I can see people's point when it comes to that argument but when people say that he will be injury prone his whole career just because he's had a few freak injuries early on is just talking out of their ass.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
You'e right. I mean it's totally Hall's fault that his team's defense is questionable and the goalies are average. But Seguin wasn't coddled at all either right? Claude Julien used him in every high leverage position possible right out of the gate. Oh wait... Don't act like he was the one piece that sealed the cup win. He was a role player on that team. I guess you forget that one guy can't single handedly win a cup.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote