Old
12-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
We were saying that he was invisible and ineffective with the puck because he was invisible and ineffective with the puck. I'm sorry that what we saw in those games didn't conform with him having a perfect start. Etem has to prove he belongs in the NHL. He's on his way to doing that. Note that none of this ever meant that we thought he was a bust. I can only speak for myself, but the conclusion that I drew is that this is the sort of thing that you expect from a rookie.
Pretty much. Speaking for myself, I would have been very surprised(but pleasantly so) if he didn't shown the growing pains we've seen. Mostly because that's the case for most players(especially for the younger ones like Etem), but also because it was pretty clear some of Etem's production in the CHL was a product of being bigger, faster, and stronger than his peers.

No one has been ripping on Etem. From the very beginning, all I've seen anyone say, along these lines, is that pencilling Etem into the line-up without any pro experience is premature(and would probably turn out to be a mistake which could only hurt Anaheim at this point), and that it would be better to see how he does in the AHL where he can work on his development. All signs pointed to him needing to adjust to the game at the professional level, where he wouldn't have the same physical advantages that he had in the CHL, and while the AHL is far from the NHL, it's still a step up, and he'd be playing against adults. On top of that, the AHL is an excellent place for him to start rounding out his game better. Being invisible when you aren't scoring is really not a good thing.

As far as I'm concerned, everything Etem has done so far has reinforced everything that we've been saying about Etem along these lines. Compared to his play at the beginning of the season, I think we're seeing nice progress from him, and he's starting to find ways of being more effective at making his presence felt. I wouldn't be surprised if, shortly, he's one of the best forwards on the ice for Norfolk on a consistent basis. From there, the next step will be the NHL.

I don't see how any of this translates to "Etem sucks." or "Etem is going to bust." in Occupy's world. Or how expressing an opinion that Etem needs to get better before he's NHL-ready is ripping on him.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:38 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Why did they start throwing bears on the ice?

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:38 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Why did they start throwing bears on the ice?
To collect the teddy bears for charity, I think...

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:17 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

oh god guys im just kidding but i am happy to see Etem adjusting he works to hard to fail
(but as i've said he finds the quiet parts of the ice to score goals, which great goal scorers do)

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Kruddler

I don't get here often, but love reading these threads.
Glad Holland is finally living up to potential -- sounds like consistency is coming?
And Vatanen seems to have on-and-off games, but that's pretty understandable. Offense shouldn't be an issue, but is his size hurting him a lot defensively?

Kruddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:31 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Unfortunately Sami hasn't been compensating for his small size. But that doesn't mean he never will though.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Unfortunately Sami hasn't been compensating for his small size. But that doesn't mean he never will though.
What do you think would some time in the ECHL do good for Vatanen? It might build up his confidence without taking away the physicality.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
What do you think would some time in the ECHL do good for Vatanen? It might build up his confidence without taking away the physicality.
No, I don't think so. Running circles around players in ECHL wont do much good, besides he's got way too much skill. Needs to go through an adjustment period, like every smallish defenseman.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Paul4587

Agreed. He's far too good for the ECHL. Even when he's having down games, he's still better than most of the Ads defensemen.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Carelton CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Some great hits in the video, Palmieri, McMillan and I think Wagner on the flip in the corner. Also two great snipes by Etem in Hersey. So happy to see the Ads gunning on the forecheck instead of sitting back all weekend.

Carelton CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carelton CA View Post
Some great hits in the video, Palmieri, McMillan and I think Wagner on the flip in the corner. Also two great snipes by Etem in Hersey. So happy to see the Ads gunning on the forecheck instead of sitting back all weekend.
I think that along with Andersen's steady play in net, was a big reason why they were successful this past weekend.

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Carelton CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
I think that along with Andersen's steady play in net, was a big reason why they were successful this past weekend.
I agree with that, Andersen played well, especially not letting the Hersey or Bridgeport in after they finally got an early lead.

I am sure he gets the start on the big stage in DC on Thursday night.

Carelton CA is offline   Reply With Quote