HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Other Chicago Sports/General Sports Thread - Cubs Sign Jackson, Villanueva

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 02:18 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Ok, so I did follow you correctly the first time... Just wanted to be sure.

You'll never bring in anyone worth a damn with a method like that. Like I said a few posts ago, only kind of guys you'd get to that method are guys coming off serious injuries.
Eh, if a guy is in a seriously depressed market or receiving less than satisfactory offers then you may get someone, but I don't think it will work for Bourn. He'll get his money, or at least close to it.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:26 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
If Hamilton would seriously sign for 4 years 100M, get him here now. That and a couple other moves puts the Cubs over the top in this division.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Illinihockey

The Cubs are talking to many agents about bullpen help and they like Jason Grilli, tweets Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:30 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
The Cubs are talking to many agents about bullpen help and they like Jason Grilli, tweets Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.
Grilli would be a great addition. I like that line of thinking. I've always advocated a deep, power laden bullpen.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Wonder when Sox move Floyd

Been invovled in rumors all offseason ,, I would imagine that soon would be the time

Apparantly the holdup is Sox want an affordable SP to slot into rotation before they move him

Old
12-03-2012, 02:43 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Wonder when Sox move Floyd

Been invovled in rumors all offseason ,, I would imagine that soon would be the time

Apparantly the holdup is Sox want an affordable SP to slot into rotation before they move him
I'm calling the market for him at the Brewers. They had maintained interest every time he's been brought up, as did the Blue Jays.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:48 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Grilli would be a great addition. I like that line of thinking. I've always advocated a deep, power laden bullpen.
The three most important things when evaluating pen arms are velocity, statistics against the first batters and grades of the two best pitches. Grilli grades favorably in all of those categories.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Illinihockey

According to CBS's Danny Knobler, the new Cubs color broadcaster will be former Astros broadcaster (and pitcher) Jim Deshaies. Deshaies has been the color man for the Astros for the past fifteen years and is generally considered to be one of the top in his field. In fact, this article in Fangraphs ranked the Astros team of Bill Brown and Deshaies as the fourth best team in the league, which is two spots better than they ranked Len Kasper and Bob Brenly.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2012/...cubs-color-man

Old
12-03-2012, 02:53 PM
coldsteelonice84

Marmol
Grilli
Fujikawa

Good morning,
Good afternoon,
Good night
Take your loss and get the hell out of here

(And that's not even mentioning Russell and what he can do)

Old
12-03-2012, 02:56 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
According to CBS's Danny Knobler, the new Cubs color broadcaster will be former Astros broadcaster (and pitcher) Jim Deshaies. Deshaies has been the color man for the Astros for the past fifteen years and is generally considered to be one of the top in his field. In fact, this article in Fangraphs ranked the Astros team of Bill Brown and Deshaies as the fourth best team in the league, which is two spots better than they ranked Len Kasper and Bob Brenly.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2012/...cubs-color-man
That's really good news.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:59 PM
coldsteelonice84

Hmmm, I guess if people love him and he is smart and funny, then it seems good. I'll have to wait and see though as I can't recall many Astros broadcasts.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:02 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hmmm, I guess if people love him and he is smart and funny, then it seems good. I'll have to wait and see though as I can't recall many Astros broadcasts.
Same... I was pulling for DeRosa. Love that guy.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
coldsteelonice84

Yeah, love DeRosa too. I still think they should bring him into the organization if they can. Let him start out as Pat's right hand man on the radio.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Same... I was pulling for DeRosa. Love that guy.
Swoon

Old
12-03-2012, 03:10 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Yeah, love DeRosa too. I still think they should bring him into the organization if they can. Let him start out as Pat's right hand man on the radio.
Keith Moreland needs to go, that's for sure.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Illinihockey

So the Giants resigned Pagan, wonder if the Phillies pay Bourn silly money now.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:17 PM
RayP

Quote:
He seems like he'd be a great coach. I wonder if he has any interest in coaching in general.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:27 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Jedd Gyorko and Wil Myers are available for starting pitching. Why did Garza have to get hurt?

Old
12-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Cullksinikers

Teams have seen his medicals.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Cullksinikers

Joakim "The Mexecutioner" Soria is signing with the Rangers.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Orioles as always have interest in Gavin Floyd

Seriously there GM must have a KW complex were he has to try and get a certain player every year

This is like 3rd straight offseason the Orioles have been interested in him

Old
12-03-2012, 11:20 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Orioles as always have interest in Gavin Floyd

Seriously there GM must have a KW complex were he has to try and get a certain player every year

This is like 3rd straight offseason the Orioles have been interested in him
Well, cross Machado, Bundy and Gausman off your list.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Illinihockey

A couple of weeks ago, we covered BA's top 100 H.S. list, but when it comes to the Cubs first pick, the #2 pick overall, BA's top 100 college list may be more relevant. Well, at least the top 3 players on it.

And there's a change in that top 3.

LHP Sean Manaea of Indiana State has vaulted past Ryan Stanek and is now the #2 prospect behind Mark Appel. A 4th pitcher, Jonathan Crawford, ranks #5 on the list and is considered a fast riser, though right now he's expected to be picked after 3 or 4 position players: Georgia high schoolers Austin Meadows and Clint Frazier, North Carolina 3B Colin Moran, considered the best pure hitter in the draft, and perhaps 1B-OF Kris Bryant, who may have the best power.

It seems certain that when the draft rolls around the Cubs will have their pick of two of these pitchers, perhaps all 4 if the Astros opt for one of the two star Georgia high school outfielders instead.

Mark Appel

Though Appel has maintained his position as the top college player, and likely the best player overall, it's unlikely Houston will take him with the first pick. Houston had the opportunity last year and passed when Appel reportedly would not accept a pre-arranged deal. As often happens in that case, Appel dropped as teams feared they wouldn't be able to sign the big RHP. He was eventually picked at #8 by the Pittsburgh Pirates, but did not sign.

Sean Manaea

As for Manaea, Aaron Fitt said in his chat that he reminds him of a young Chris Sale. Manaea pitches with a mid to upper 90s fastball and,a pretty good change-up. If the slider comes around, he looks like a 3 pitch guy with at least two plus pitches. Jonathan Mayo of mlb.com thinks Manaea's slider, which may be more of a hard slurve, is an effective pitch, but he does have concerns with Manaea's pitchability. I think that's interesting because that is high on former amateur scouting director Tim Wilken's list. It remains to be seen if Jason McLeod feels the same way or how much influence Wilken has if either or both agree with Mayo's assessment on pitchability.

Ryan Stanek

Not everyone thinks Manaea is the #2 guy. Mayo has Ryan Stanek in the 2nd spot and Manaea down at #5. Mayo believes Stanek to be the more polished pitcher and great stuff, includinga mid 90s fastball and a plus slider. However, our man at the scene Kevin Gallo said that Manaea made huge strides at the Cape Cod League and that he has already looked a lot more polished. There are also some concerns with Stanek, including his command and delivery, enough so that some scouts believe he could end up being a reliever.

Beyond the first round

If you want to see who might be available in the 2nd round, that's a little hard to gauge, but there are a slew of college pitchers who may be available by the time the Cubs pick, which should come earlier than last year's pick because their figures to be less comp picks. One interesting name that might be available is former McLeod first round pick, RHP Karsten Whitson. Whitson was the #9 pick overall in 2010 but did not sign. His stock has since dropped because of arm troubles and a loss of velocity.

If they've soured on Whitson or he isn't available, there should be plenty of college pitching to choose from. After Whitson, 20 of the next 23 best college players are pitchers. That group includes a trio of LHPs, an area the Cubs could be looking to shore up in their system. The first is Trevor Williams, a big pitcher with a mid 90s fastball and full repertoire, yet doesn't miss enough bats for scouts' taste. Another LHP in that range, Kevin Ziomek, impressed at the Cape Cod League with a good change and solid command to go with an average fastball. My favorite LHP, however, may be Tom Windle (Minnesota). He's the complete package, 93-94 mph fastball, slider, change, good control and good pitchability.

You've heard me say that this is a weak draft, and it is, but it is not weak in college pitching and though there are no elite high school pitchers like Dylan Bundy or Lucas Giolito, there is some depth in the high school ranks as well. High school catchers are also a deep crop. Those are three big areas of need for the Cubs and the areas where the draft is weak: 2B, SS, and CF, are positions of strength in the Cubs organization. So while this draft may not be a particularly strong one, it could play right into Jason McLeod's hands.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:06 AM
RayP

I'm actually glad they say there are no elite HS pitchers. Not a big fan of HS players in general. I'd be perfectly fine with Appel.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Illinihockey

Javier Baez was named the top prospect in the Arizona Fall League by Baseball America.

Closed Thread