HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 03:32 PM
bobermay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourlord View Post
Percy hasn't don't anything in the O this year.
I disagree. He just plays a quite type of game. Steady, Calm, Cool, Collected. Don't notice him much, which is what you want from a defender.

That said, I don't think that Percy would be better suited for the larger ice-surface in Russia, compared to the other invites.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No..
Er... WHL Report: Tigers sniper an optimist

If he's not still "injured", he's certainly "recovering".

Old
12-03-2012, 03:38 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post

Sure, he's versatile. Versatile but small, and was a non-factor against the Russians - who might not even be the team's toughest challenge.

Senseless hyperbole. Puck control is one of his greatest strengths, and 3rd/4th lines who can maintain possession while their top two lines rest are just as valuable as those who go out and bang bodies. I've been one of the more vocal about the value of MacKinnon's two-way play when evaluating him versus Drouin, but "Drouin can't play defensively" and "useless if not on a scoring line"... just as blanket statements...? lol. Plays good enough defense that his skills/offense end up making everyone forget about Hudon 15 minutes into camp, imo.
Hudon was effective in the CANRUS games in Halifax, but not so much in the SSS... As many have said before, energy role over scoring...

And I agree with your assessment of Drouin. He can control the play and isn't bad defensively.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:38 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4 View Post
Says the guy who put Beauvillier in there

Picking Beauvillier ahead of Hudon is plain ridiculous. You probably haven't see them play a lot in the last 2 years. Beauvillier will (rightly) not even get an invite.

Drouin will be excellent but he isn't 1st line material this year.

I see hudon as a lock for bottom 6, Danault too.

lol Beauvillier
Depends of the role.

Beauvilier is a more adamant physical player than Hudon.

But there are more prolific guys in that role IMO.

Here's my team.

I don't think Drouin will make it because he might not be as physically strong as Monahan/Mack, but IMO he deserves to be there.

Jonathan Drouin - Nathan Mackinnon - Jonathan Huberdeau
Ty Rattie - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Mark Scheifele
Charles Hudon - Sean Monahan - Ryan Strome
Phillip Danault - Boone Jenner - Tom Wilson
Brett Ritchie

Morgan Rielly - Dougie Hamilton
Harrington - Ouellet
Reinhart - Murphy
Dumba

Subban
Binnington
Brossoît

Last edited by QuebecPride: 12-03-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old
12-03-2012, 03:42 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
First of all, it's not "Hudon shouldn't be on the team", it's that I think there are better players to choose from. And now that I see Drouin's name among the invite list, and read quotes from Hockey Canada suggesting that his age won't be held against him, I suspect Hudon drops out of the spotlight after sharing a camp with all these other guys.

Second of all, I've watched him plenty, and feel that I should remind you that Ouellet and MacKinnon walked away with QMJHL Player of the Game honours in those games, not Hudon. Don't know what "most dangerous" means to you, but he certainly didn't (and doesn't) stand out to me like someone who is among the top 12 U20 forwards this country has to choose from. Bob McKenzie might end up being right about him making the team, but if he makes it as a "13th guy", and someone else has him pegged as maybe the 15th or 16th best guy, how far apart are those opinions, really? And if someone could at least successfully justify(/defend) why they'd pick someone else over Hudon (or whomever - it doesn't matter), isn't that sufficient for the purposes of the thread? Seriously.
Bob seem to think that Hudon will be playing in the top 6, but you're entitled to your opinion, after all it's a thread about that....Ouellet is not a forward right?

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=410489

Old
12-03-2012, 03:47 PM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Depends of the role.

Jonathan Drouin - Nathan Mackinnon - Jonathan Huberdeau
Ty Rattie - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Mark Scheifele
Charles Hudon - Sean Monahan - Ryan Strome
Phillip Danault - Boone Jenner - Tom Wilson
Brett Ritchie

Harrington - Ouellet
Reinhart - Murphy
Dumba

Subban
Binnington
Brossoît
Agree about 95%. I think Graovac would be more suited on Monohan's wing. Even McNeil. Don't see Hudon making this team.

I'd also take Sproul over Murphy.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Bob seem to think that Hudon will be playing in the top 6, but you're entitled to your opinion, after all it's a thread about that....Ouellet is not a forward right?

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=410489
Again, I'd be surprised and disappointed. If the team brass look at everyone on that list side-by-side during camp and come to that arrangement, then the results better speak for themselves.

And you're right, I read "most dangerous player" when you actually typed "most dangerous forward". That's my mistake.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:55 PM
newfy

Seeing these invites, I'm starting to think Sproul might actually have a chance. If it wasnt Murphys coach coaching I would like it a lot better. The way I see the D shaking out is Hamilton, Harrington, Ouellet, Rielly, Reinhart and the 6 and 7 spots up for grabs.

In 15 less games played this year, Sproul has 4 less points then Murphy and more goals.. If it werent for his coach coaching why would anyone think Murphy should make it over Sproul if theyre both there for their offense. Then you take into account that one is 6'4 and can throw some big hits it should be an easy decision, but because of whose coaching I'm not so sure.

Dumba does have that physical edge but he hasnt looked all that great in the games I've watched (subway/summer) and hes supposed to be more of an offensive guy as well but Sproul has more points in 15 less games and is a year older.

Sproul led the OHL in goals last year, is huge, can play physical and I dont think hes the defensive liability of Murphy. Hes got more offense then Dumba but that physical game of Dumas is intriguing.

If they take a 7th dman for an offensive role it should be Sproul

Old
12-03-2012, 04:04 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicNeilTime View Post
Agree about 95%. I think Graovac would be more suited on Monohan's wing. Even McNeil. Don't see Hudon making this team.

Murphy and Hudon are pretty close to be lock right now however Monahan chance to make the team is pretty slim at this point since he's injured and team Canada have a lot of Center already with Nuge-Scheifele-Strome-Jenner-MacKinnon

Old
12-03-2012, 04:06 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Seeing these invites, I'm starting to think Sproul might actually have a chance. If it wasnt Murphys coach coaching I would like it a lot better. The way I see the D shaking out is Hamilton, Harrington, Ouellet, Rielly, Reinhart and the 6 and 7 spots up for grabs.

In 15 less games played this year, Sproul has 4 less points then Murphy and more goals.. If it werent for his coach coaching why would anyone think Murphy should make it over Sproul if theyre both there for their offense. Then you take into account that one is 6'4 and can throw some big hits it should be an easy decision, but because of whose coaching I'm not so sure.

Dumba does have that physical edge but he hasnt looked all that great in the games I've watched (subway/summer) and hes supposed to be more of an offensive guy as well but Sproul has more points in 15 less games and is a year older.

Sproul led the OHL in goals last year, is huge, can play physical and I dont think hes the defensive liability of Murphy. Hes got more offense then Dumba but that physical game of Dumas is intriguing.

If they take a 7th dman for an offensive role it should be Sproul
I really hope Sproul makes it. He's really grown on me this year. He isn't a liability on the ice anymore. Not saying that he was, but he's improved his defensive game a lot. Sproul has really progressed as player.

Plus his mobility and reach is going to huge on the larger ice surface. When you combine that with his offensive ability, it could become a very valuable player for this team.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Monahan chance to make the team is pretty slim at this point since he's injured
Injured? Don't you mean suspended?

Old
12-03-2012, 04:13 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Injured? Don't you mean suspended?
yeah my bad

Old
12-03-2012, 04:13 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
I've said it before and will say it again, Catenacci will make this roster, even if it is as the 13th forward. He's the most versatile player on this list and easily one of the best skaters. I think he will play the same role as Cizikas, a high energy, fast guy who can do it all. Players like him are incredibly valuable.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Stats01

vCash: 250
Really..when it comes down to it, it's all about Subban, we've seen the past few years what terrible goaltending gets you.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:20 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I've said it before and will say it again, Catenacci will make this roster, even if it is as the 13th forward. He's the most versatile player on this list and easily one of the best skaters. I think he will play the same role as Cizikas, a high energy, fast guy who can do it all. Players like him are incredibly valuable.
For me the most versatile player is Boone Jenner and after it's Hudon and then is Catenacci and Danault.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:21 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Sure, he's versatile. Versatile but small, and was a non-factor against the Russians - who might not even be the team's toughest challenge.
Now you're being silly. At the SSS he was playing with Danault and was clearly slated in a defensive role, his job was to shut down Yakupov and Khoklachev, something he did.

He might not have been the best player for the 'Q, but he wasn't far being it. He was generating offense, even if it wasn't his role. If Beauvilier had better scoring ability he would have ended the night with a couple more assists as Hudon set him up beautifully on the PK and on 5on5.

Because of his good play, people are now slating him in an offensive role for the tournament, something that wasn't foreseeable in the recent past.

I get it that you're far from a Hudon fan, even though you're a Habs fan. It's alright, we all have our favourites, but saying Hudon was useless against the Russians is being silly.

And before you say it, yes I'm high on Hudon. But I think I'm able to be critical enough to judge a hockey performance, as much as I am a fan of a team or a certain player.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:24 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicNeilTime View Post

If Graovac makes this team, I think he'll be the 13th forward à la Pearson last year. Could be a tossup between him and Ritchie.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:30 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Hudon seems like the kind of kid that will accept his role, there is no room for him in the top 6 and thats fine. Every time I have seen him play he was working his bag off every shift he got, why not have him in your bottom 6 or as the 13th forward is the better question

Old
12-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Lehner

Ty Rattie - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Jonathan Huberdeau "C"
Jonathan Drouin - Nathan Mackinnon - Ryan Strome "A"
Charles Hudon - Sean Monahan - Mark Scheifele
Phillip Danault - Boone Jenner "A" - Tom Wilson
Hunter Shinkaruk

Harrington "A"- Ouellet
Reinhart - Corrado
Dumba

Subban
Binnington
Brossoît

**I don't understand why Chris Driedger wasn't invited and Paterson was.**

Old
12-03-2012, 04:35 PM
SH15

Considering Huberdeau was Captain in the summer series I'd put him as favourite for wearing the 'C'.

Don't sleep on Boone Jenner for captain. In fact, he'd be my #1 choice. Wears the 'C' in Oshawa. One of the top players in the best Junior league in the country. Scores, hits, great on faceoffs, off ice leader. Leads the OHL in goals. Returning player. I could see Boone getting the 'C' easily. But I'm sure a lot will be determined at camp and who steps up as a leader.

RNH will be the most talented player on the team, but that doesn't automatically make him a captain. He'll likely wear an 'A' but the 'C' will go to someone who has been through this tournament before. Can't believe people actually believe the most skilled player is automatically the captain.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:41 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
Brossoît

**I don't understand why Chris Driedger wasn't invited and Paterson was.**
Only one of them is Wings prospect .

Old
12-03-2012, 04:44 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
Considering Huberdeau was Captain in the summer series I'd put him as favourite for wearing the 'C'.

Don't sleep on Boone Jenner for captain. In fact, he'd be my #1 choice. Wears the 'C' in Oshawa. One of the top players in the best Junior league in the country. Scores, hits, great on faceoffs, off ice leader. Leads the OHL in goals. Returning player. I could see Boone getting the 'C' easily. But I'm sure a lot will be determined at camp and who steps up as a leader.

RNH will be the most talented player on the team, but that doesn't automatically make him a captain. He'll likely wear an 'A' but the 'C' will go to someone who has been through this tournament before. Can't believe people actually believe the most skilled player is automatically the captain.
it shouldnt be oiler fans saying that Jason smith--> Ethan Moreau--> shawn horcrap

Old
12-03-2012, 04:46 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

C- Jenner
A- Huberdeau
A- Hamilton/Harrington

Old
12-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Really? Would love to hear it. Go.
To play devils advocate, Huberdeau had a higher PPG than Nugent-Hopkins in their draft year, and last year had 9 points in 6 games at this tournament. You can't fault Huberdeau for not being in the NHL last season, it wasn't his choice. (Merely playing devils advocate I would have taken RNH 1st overall).

Old
12-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Now you're being silly. At the SSS he was playing with Danault and was clearly slated in a defensive role, his job was to shut down Yakupov and Khoklachev, something he did.
Let's actually be critical and accurate for a second here. Both Khoklachev and Yakupov scored (2 pt game for Yak) in the game 1 win vs the Q, but neither of them lineup opposite Hudon anyway (wasn't Sigarev Russia's RWer on that line... when he wasn't in the box?)

Quote:
He might not have been the best player for the 'Q, but he wasn't far being it. He was generating offense, even if it wasn't his role. If Beauvilier had better scoring ability he would have ended the night with a couple more assists as Hudon set him up beautifully on the PK and on 5on5.

Because of his good play, people are now slating him in an offensive role for the tournament, something that wasn't foreseeable in the recent past.

I get it that you're far from a Hudon fan, even though you're a Habs fan. It's alright, we all have our favourites, but saying Hudon was useless against the Russians is being silly.

And before you say it, yes I'm high on Hudon. But I think I'm able to be critical enough to judge a hockey performance, as much as I am a fan of a team or a certain player.
Not "useless", a "non-factor". As in, not "out of place" but certainly not someone who stood out as having a place to lose going into the U20 camp. Besides the Subway, I've only seen him live for the Can/Rus series and his two stops here with Chicoutimi, and only a couple of times more on top of that on TV via Friday night Q hockey, but I followed him decently closely last year (always do my homework for our Mock Draft, and always do extra research on Habs picks) and I still don't see the player that his biggest supporters seem to. But again, more importantly, I just see better options on the invite list.

Closed Thread