HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kovalchuk most underated player in NHL?

Old
12-03-2012, 11:04 AM
klozge
Avs

vCash: 500
HF Boards is the place where you post "Malkin > Datsyuk" in a Kovalchuk thread.

Datsyuk has become way too overrated, though. I love to watch him and I think he's one of the most exciting players in the league but Malkin is SO much better.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Very good on the defensive side of the puck ?

NO

Does he actually make a effort now and tries to play defense ?

Yup, and that's all you can ask considering he's good for 35 goals a year.
Agreed. He's also improved his defensive play a considerable amount since joining NJ.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Luigi Lemieux

If people are really saying Kovalchuk or Datsyuk are better than Malkin, then Malkin's the one that's underrated. Outside Crosby, who i think needs to reclaim the title of "best in the league", Malkin has no peer right now. 109 pts in 75 games (119 pts over 82), where no one else in the league even broke 100 pts. Heck only 2 other players broke 90.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
Not saying Datsyuk is better than Malkin, because I don't think he is, but this logic doesn't make sense
meant to say, "toews>malkin?"

got to lazy to edit.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Hammettf2b

vCash: 7566
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
i laughed at he's very good defensively and literally stopped when i read he can handle the puck better than datsyuk.
^^^^^ this

Hammettf2b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Kopistar

My impressions of KV are skewed due to his no show during the Cup Final. Sure he was injured, but that was downright horrible play.

Kopistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
AD1066
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
If people are really saying Kovalchuk or Datsyuk are better than Malkin, then Malkin's the one that's underrated. Outside Crosby, who i think needs to reclaim the title of "best in the league", Malkin has no peer right now. 109 pts in 75 games (119 pts over 82), where no one else in the league even broke 100 pts. Heck only 2 other players broke 90.
Yeah, I'd take Malkin over any other player in the league right now. Including Crosby.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:46 PM
AD1066
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post
My impressions of KV are skewed due to his no show during the Cup Final. Sure he was injured, but that was downright horrible play.
He had a herniated disc. I'm amazed he was even able to play.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post
Your impressions of Kovy are skewed because he used your team to get more money out of the Devils. Be honest here.

Scottyk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1066 View Post
He had a herniated disc. I'm amazed he was even able to play.
Yep, happened before the playoffs even started...poor guy had more cortizone pumped into him than anyone ever should.

Scottyk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Human
cynic

safe to say that Datsyuk is the new Forsberg in here. I mean the guy is so good he would have several Harts if he wanted to. an asterisk should be placed next to each of the last five Hart winners names.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:55 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Uhm, so Datsyuk is the best player in the league then?

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:57 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
safe to say that Datsyuk is the new Forsberg in here. I mean the guy is so good he would have several Harts if he wanted to. an asterisk should be placed next to each of the last five Hart winners names.
Wings players don't win Harts. It's not their system or style to rely on 2 or 3 players to carry them to championships.

DanZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
Wings players don't win Harts. It's not their system or style to rely on 2 or 3 players to carry them to championships.
it seems we're in agreement then...

on a more serious note, that is BS. you don't win championships on the regular season when the Hart is awarded. also every team relies on 2-3 players more than on the others, every team dresses up a full team for the playoffs, not only the Wings. this is just an excuse used by their fans for the lack of indiviual regular season trophies in a while. on the other hand they keep pointing out at Fedorov having one of the best seasons ever in his Hart season, though it wasn't "their system or style to rely on 2 or 3 players to carry them to championships" back then either...

Last edited by Human: 12-03-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Relative QOC
Datsyuk 1.162
Makin 0.279

Relative CORSI
Datsyuk 13.2
Malkin 11.3

Penalty Drawn:Taken/60
Datsyuk +.8
Malkin +.7

OZoneStart
Datsyuk 55.5%
Malkin 65.9%

Without Staal either Malkin or Crosby's minutes are going to get ridiculously hard because Sutter got crushed with average minutes.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
Uhm, so Datsyuk is the best player in the league then?
He is on a short list of elite players in every situation.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:33 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

He's the only player in the NHL that scares me when he has the puck. More so than Crosby, Malkin, Gaborik, Stamkos, etc. It's like he can do anything with it.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:36 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
He's the only player in the NHL that scares me when he has the puck. More so than Crosby, Malkin, Gaborik, Stamkos, etc. It's like he can do anything with it.
Kovy or Dats?

Isles fan eh, must be Kovy then?

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:20 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Kovy or Dats?

Isles fan eh, must be Kovy then?
I don't see Datsyuk enough, but yeah he's scary with the puck too. Kovalchuk just seems to destroy the Atlantic, so whenever I see him on a shift against an Atlantic team I think he always has a chance at creating a goal.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:08 PM
DearDiary
Today I ate Bylsma

lol at all the Datysuk overrating going in this thread. He makes a couple highlight reel plays and suddenly he's a better stickhander than Kovalchuk who consistently is good with the puck? Everytime I watch Dats, I see him trying to be all fancy and giving the puck away because he has terrible control and is terrible under pressure.

If you actually watched Kovy and Dats, Malkin and Ove play, out of all those players, Kovy is always trying his best, not being overly fancy with the puck, but focuses more on puck control to help his team rather than trying to show off and looking dumb when he gives the puck away.

It's funny how the Red wing and penguin fanboys show up to defend their husband. Just more ammo to how underrated and how good Kovy really is and how OVERRATED those other players are.

Look at this video of Kovy scoring the winning goal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwhbW6d3xfc

He was under major pressure in OT, this was lemaires milestone game. Look at that speed, that stick handling, that control, that release. No other player in the NHL could do that as good as Kovy. And look at that celebration, all class. Didn't burn his stick, jump into the boards or anything.

DearDiary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipops View Post
lol at all the Datysuk overrating going in this thread. He makes a couple highlight reel plays and suddenly he's a better stickhander than Kovalchuk who consistently is good with the puck? Everytime I watch Dats, I see him trying to be all fancy and giving the puck away because he has terrible control and is terrible under pressure.

If you actually watched Kovy and Dats, Malkin and Ove play, out of all those players, Kovy is always trying his best, not being overly fancy with the puck, but focuses more on puck control to help his team rather than trying to show off and looking dumb when he gives the puck away.

It's funny how the Red wing and penguin fanboys show up to defend their husband. Just more ammo to how underrated and how good Kovy really is and how OVERRATED those other players are.

He was under major pressure in OT, this was lemaires milestone game. Look at that speed, that stick handling, that control, that release. No other player in the NHL could do that as good as Kovy. And look at that celebration, all class. Didn't burn his stick, jump into the boards or anything.
This doesn't represent the majority of Devils fans. Clearly a playoff push band wagoner.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Funny thing about the overrated players. They all own some significant hardware that Kovalchuk doesn't possess.

If anything, you are severely overrating Kovalchuk, to the point that it is comical and can't be taken seriously.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:27 PM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipops View Post

He was under major pressure in OT, this was lemaires milestone game. Look at that speed, that stick handling, that control, that release. No other player in the NHL could do that as good as Kovy.
And look at that celebration, all class. Didn't burn his stick, jump into the boards or anything.
Look at this video of Malkin scoring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7oCEayd5bk
Look at that speed, that stick handling, that control.
Who's better?

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Fire Dumboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Yep, happened before the playoffs even started...poor guy had more cortizone pumped into him than anyone ever should.
Imagine if he wasn't hurt how much better he would of done

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:37 PM
DearDiary
Today I ate Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Look at this video of Malkin scoring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7oCEayd5bk
Look at that speed, that stick handling, that control.
Who's better?
Wow amazing! He scored in a 5-1 game! Beating a dead horse when its already down! Must have took effort being under all that pressure

DearDiary is offline   Reply With Quote