HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 6.0 - "Gally Got Backhand" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 07:34 PM
FrankMTL

vCash: 500
From the boxscore, it looked like Oshawa dominated. One thing we have to remember though, it was Sarnia's 3rd game in 3 nights against a team who had yesterday off. Not an excuse, but it seems that Sarnia often has 3 games in 3 nights...that can't be easy.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Damn...

8 shifts, 10:35 TOI in the third period.
Totals: 23 shifts, 21:37 TOI

1 goal, even rating, 2 turnovers, 1 takeaway, 4 shots on net.
4-for-5 in the face-off circle (80.0%)

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
12-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
From the boxscore, it looked like Oshawa dominated. One thing we have to remember though, it was Sarnia's 3rd game in 3 nights against a team who had yesterday off. Not an excuse, but it seems that Sarnia often has 3 games in 3 nights...that can't be easy.
Not only that, Oshawa was on a four game win streak and are 1st in the East division. They did indeed dominate, but J.P. Anderson stood on his head again tonight.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Moneyman2k6

Damn! he couldnt get that point! and seth griffith is at 50 now..

Old
12-02-2012, 08:04 PM
That

3-2 win for Sarnia over Oshawa. What a game that was. One of the best games I've this year. Oshawa dominated Sarnia all night, physically and in shots. However they have to hit the net more. Quite a few of Oshawa's chances missed the net completely. Galchenyuk picked up a goal.

Galchenyuk's first shift was a little rough. He had trouble controlling the puck and was mindlessly skating around without much attention to detail. He then scored off a wicked shot on the PP. That gives him four straight games with a point in the first five minutes (3G, 1A). The game started to get chippy after that, and Hughes even took a run at Galchenyuk. However, he just bounced off and Galchenyuk just kept skating like nothing happened. He had a beautiful pass to Boucher in the neutral zone, showed off some great vision. Throughout the first he struggled a bit defensively. He seemed to get caught up running around after the puck, especially on the penalty kill.

In the second, Galchenyuk played better defensively. As the game picked up intensity he slowed the pace back down every time he went on the ice. He was a calming presence. He had a nice clear on the PK. He came twice to adding another goal two times. One he got robbed on the doorstep and the other it took a funny bounce and he couldn't handle it. He also had a nice behind the back pass in the neutral zone. Galchenyuk had a great rush on 4-on-4 and then used his laser of shot and generated a huge rebound. He could have prevented a goal by simply tying up Sabourin, but he reacted too late. On the PK later in the period, his positioning improved quite a bit and started reading the passing lanes better. He almost got anoter goal late in the second from a terrible angle but it went right through the crease.

The intensity of the game picked up even further, and Galchenyuk's game did too. Galchenyuk almost had another goal on the PP, but couldn't bury it. On that same PP he did some great work along the boards to dig the puck out and create a chance. As time was running out on that power play he got too fancy and turned the puck over to Jenner attempting to hold the zone. Galchenyuk had a filthy feed to Sarault behind the net and behind the back, but Sarault couldn't finish what seemed to be a sure goal. As time was running out in the third he really started to pick up his back checking, he was draped on one of the Generals for his shifts. He broke up a couple of plays by doing it too. With just seconds remaining he had a solid body check along the boards, knocking the player over. He also had a chance at the empty net, but realized it was going to get blocked so he dumped it in instead.

Overall, I really liked his game tonight. He had a plethora of chances, but couldn't quite bury them. I really was pleased with how he handled himself on the ice. As the intensity picked up, he become a calming presence on the ice and really seemed to settle down his team, which would be why he seemed to have play half of the third period. Defensively, he had some struggles early on, specifically with Jenner, but eventually tightened up as the game wore on. Solid game from him. I caught a large amount of OHL games this weekend (thanks pvr) and I think Galchenyuk should win Player of the Week.

-Devil's prospect Reid Boucher had some struggles early on in the game. He was undisciplined and seemed pissed off. He did have a beauty hit however. Tonight he did a fairly good job along the boards and with the puck, but he looked outmatched for the most part. He did a good job protecting the puck and was solid on the PK.
-Charlie Sarault had an interesting game. He wasn't noticeable that much, but when he was playing solid defensively. He did have a few blunders offensively.
-Alex Basso was incredible on the PP all night. He only got one assist, but he was great. He made some very smart plays.
-Shark's prospect JP Anderson was a brick wall again tonight. He's streaky, but when he's on, watch out.
-Davis Brown's play really has seemed to turn a corner since he coming back from injury. He looks great out there. He's playing with a ton of speed and energy and is creating a few chances. He was playing a chippy game too and wasn't afraid of anyone. Had a nice hit.
-Alex Carnevale played his best game as a Sting yet. He finally picked up his first goal as a Sting and also had a solid tilt that was he was on the losing end of. However, he played solid.
-Blue Jacket's second rounder Boone Jenner was awesome tonight. He had a ton of big hits and a beauty snipe. He's a man out there.
-Leafs prospect Tyler Biggs was the weak link for Oshawa tonight. He had a few chances that he couldn't capitalize on, but for the most part he was invisible. I really liked what I've seen of him so far this year, but as soon as the game's physicality picked up he just disappeared. I don't think he hit anyone all night. He also has to keep his head up. I doubt that's really going to affect in the O, but he could have created some more offense if he actually had his head up so he could see his teammates.
-2014 top prospect Michael Dal Colle was great tonight. I really liked his play on the penalty kill especially. He was intercepting passes left, right, and centre. Tons of hockey IQ in a great frame. Very intriguing prospect.
-Cole Cassels is a bit under the radar for this years draft. He's a solid two-way centre. He was great offensively tonight and had good reads defensively. He did take a dive in the third though, I hate seeing that.
-Flyer's first rounder Scott Laughton was great tonight. He was involved all night and played extremely well on the PP. He made good reads when shooting the puck and showed some craftiness offensively too.

Old
12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
NotProkofievian

Beauty of a one-timer from Gally tonight.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Sarault got the POTW. Booo.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Sarault got the POTW. Booo.
Booooo! Gally had the same amount of points and had more goals. Oh well, I'm sure he'll get one sooner or later.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:59 PM
That

Not that it means much, but Galchenyuk should have definitely won it.

Out of all three games, he was the best in 2/3 games out of the trio, and was the biggest reason why Sarnia got off to great starts in all of the games. Meanwhile, Sarault was good in all 3 games, but was never the best. Especially last night where he seemed a little outmatched along with Boucher for the most part.

All of them picked up the same amount of points, so you'd think the winner would be given to the won who was the best player over the entire weekend. Which was Galchenyuk.

Either way I really like Sarault, so congrats to him for winning and Galchenyuk and Boucher for getting mentions. JP Anderson too being a brick wall, it's a shame there can't be 4 winners

Isn't this the third time that Galchenyuk has been runner up now? He'll win one eventually.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
zzoo

I wonder why many people have said that Sarnia has a bad team. It seems that Sarault and Boucher are in the top 20 now, and Murphy and Basso aren't not a bad defenseman neither.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:18 PM
PATCHESx67

cant wait for the world juniors so i can finally see Gally play,im tired of highlights i want the real thing

Old
12-03-2012, 03:39 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
cant wait for the world juniors so i can finally see Gally play,im tired of highlights i want the real thing
The juniors this year are going to be a Christmas present on their own, seeing Gally play with the best and against the best. Well maybe not Sweden's best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I wonder why many people have said that Sarnia has a bad team. It seems that Sarault and Boucher are in the top 20 now, and Murphy and Basso aren't not a bad defenseman neither.
Have you seen Sarnia earlier this year? They only just now started racking up the points but before that Boucher couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even though Gally spoon fed him opportunities.

Last edited by poetryinmotion: 12-03-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Sweden omitting three core players that should have been on their team
Old
12-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
The talent on the roster isn't bad.

Maybe at the start of the season some felt it was, but at the time no one knew what Goldobin would contribute as he was a rookie. With his emergence they have 4 potent forwards and some talented players on D. Anderson is also a quality veteran goalie.

They look like a bad team at times because they play extremely sloppy hockey in their zone, which is on the coach. Contending teams like London, Kitchener, etc have eaten them alive.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Ravenscar

Can anyone tell me if Sarault is drafted. Can't find it anywhere. So I guess he is undrafted. So do u think the Habs could sign him as a free agent. How is his game for the NHL?

Old
12-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenscar View Post
Can anyone tell me if Sarault is drafted. Can't find it anywhere. So I guess he is undrafted. So do u think the Habs could sign him as a free agent. How is his game for the NHL?
No, he's a FA. He was invited to the habs camp iirc.

Boucher is a 3rd, or 4th round pick of the Devils.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Habitants

Quote:
not drafted. was invited to habs rookie camps this past summer. he is now 20 yr old so prob free agent yes..

edit too slow...

Old
12-03-2012, 04:31 PM
That

Quote:
As mentioned, he'll be an undraft free agent at the end of the year.

I like him as a player. I know a lot of people will just look at his stats and think that he must be typical older player who's statistics exploded because he's more physically mature than most and played with Yakupov. I don't really think this is the case though. When he was a Frontenac he was always a very talented player, just really inconsistent and sometimes selfish.

When he got traded to Sarnia and started to play with Yakupov he really cleaned up his biggest flaws and took off from there.

He'd definitely make for an interesting player to have at training camp that's for sure.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Sarault would be a good fit on the Dogs next year as they'll still need a creative offensive center. I hope we get him signed, even if it's just an AHL deal.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:07 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
IMO he's got zero NHL potential, but I could see him topping out as a solid AHL player. More than likely though, I see him as a guy who will end up in Europe in one of their pro leagues.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:10 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
Totally agree.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Sarault is on the Habs radar and Galchenyuk will vouch for the Habs organization. I wouldnt be surprised if he has also spoken regularly to Timmins, Lapointe, Dudley, Bergevin et al.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:50 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Sarault is on the Habs radar and Galchenyuk will vouch for the Habs organization. I wouldnt be surprised if he has also spoken regularly to Timmins, Lapointe, Dudley, Bergevin et al.
Quote:
Sarault would be a good fit on the Dogs next year as they'll still need a creative offensive center. I hope we get him signed, even if it's just an AHL deal.
Definitely a possible free agent signing.

It is also something that the Habs have often done, it's a little boost for the development of top prospects.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I'd rather have our own prospects then Sarault in Hamilton next year but he'd be a nice depth addition in the ECHL.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I'd rather have our own prospects then Sarault in Hamilton next year but he'd be a nice depth addition in the ECHL.
We don't have any center prospects ready to graduate to the AHL for next year though.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't really see many of our own offensive center prospects who can play for the dogs next season... This assuming gally makes the big club. Sarault would be a good option. Any player with proven chemistry with gally should be given a chance if they have upside

Closed Thread