HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
It's not like he's just reckless, he has a good amount of offense to him. I would be more shocked to see Matteau miss it then Boucher. I can very well see if the US is concerned with Boucher's one-dimensional game. He's rounded it out a bit, but he's a shooter and not much else right now.

Matteau on the other hand is that guy that plays on the edge, pisses the opponent off, crashes the net, and can put in goals too. As long as he manages to walk the line, he should be fine and he and Biggs are the type of players they can use to get under the more offensive players of Canada, Russia, etc.
Well, Boucher has the benefit of not only being a top-notch sniper with an elite shot but also having considerable chemistry with Galchenyuk. Granted, that doesn't always work (see Mitch Wahl and Drayson Bowman) but is a factor.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
good point. but i think that they're plan is to bring 15 forwards. i would like to see a little more competition than that
Fair enough, although as I indicated before I don't think there are all that many open spots. Here's some stories to follow (forward-wise):

* Can Galchenyuk and Boucher carry over their Sarnia chemistry?
* Are Kerdiles and Lucia physically ready (game shape) to be contributors?
* Can Biggs and Matteau play on the edge while contributing offensively?
* Does a player like Kuraly deserve to be there after a strong summer camp but middling start to the NCAA season?
* Is Erne too young to be a factor?
* Who will Gaudreau have chemistry with?

Old
12-03-2012, 02:47 PM
SprDaVE

Terry Koshan ‏@koshtorontosun

USA Hockey to announce world jr. preliminary roster on Tuesday. Hearing that #Leafs prospect G Garret Sparks (Guelph, #OHL) will be on it.

#Leafs prospect Tyler Biggs (Oshawa, #OHL) will be on American prelimary roster for world jr.

From a Toronto Sun writer. Fairly credible. Nothing earth shattering but I thought I'd share.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post

USA Hockey to announce world jr. preliminary roster on Tuesday. Hearing that #Leafs prospect G Garret Sparks (Guelph, #OHL) will be on it.

#Leafs prospect Tyler Biggs (Oshawa, #OHL) will be on American prelimary roster for world jr.

From a Toronto Sun writer. Fairly credible. Nothing earth shattering but I thought I'd share.
Awesome.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Gally and Boucher's chem is amazing. Fully expect them to be on a line together.

Also hope Matteau makes it

Old
12-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Why is Biggs on the 4 th line? He has more points than several players on the top 3 lines and is the biggest player on the team and its power forward..

Old
12-03-2012, 02:59 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post

neat... Sparks is 5th in S% in the OHL with the most games played. Can't say anything about his GAA but hes getting absolutely peppered with shots.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:10 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Gally and Boucher's chem is amazing. Fully expect them to be on a line together.

Also hope Matteau makes it
Me too, I'd like to see a big forward on the left wing (if Galchenyuk plays C). Maybe Miller or Noesen.

Grimaldi or Gaudreau would be insane with Galchenyuk and Boucher though. That's a ton of skill on one line.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:11 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I wouldnt mind seeing Matt Mahalak over Sparks to be honest. Though both are solid, and Sparks a Chicago boy, I think Mahalak would be a better fit imo.

I think Mahalak has played in big games, has a lot of pressure playing in Plymouth, and does enough to stop the pucks that he should which is exactly what you ask for in these tournaments.

I think the 3 goalies invited to camp assuming Gibson is healthy should be:

Gibson, Gillies, and Mahalak...
You should take a look at the Plymouth Whaler's thread on the OHL board, their fans don't seem to share the same opinion of Mahalak and they see him play every game. Apparently he's let in a fair share of softies so far this season, enough to have the fans pushing for his 16yo backup to have a bigger share of the workload or even take the starting job from him.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:20 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
You should take a look at the Plymouth Whaler's thread on the OHL board, their fans don't seem to share the same opinion of Mahalak and they see him play every game. Apparently he's let in a fair share of softies so far this season, enough to have the fans pushing for his 16yo backup to have a bigger share of the workload or even take the starting job from him.
dont need to.

Portland fans say the same thing about Carruth, its lunacy...

Mahalak is doing just fine this year, didnt say he was the best on the planet, but I would like to see him invited over Sparks and thats just a personal preference as I have seen Mahalak play on a regular basis.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:37 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
neat... Sparks is 5th in S% in the OHL with the most games played. Can't say anything about his GAA but hes getting absolutely peppered with shots.
December games leading up to the camp will be huge for Sparks. A very mediocre October followed by an awesome November.

Check out Sparks stats for the month of November. a 1.94 GAA and a .940 sv%

2 Shutouts
3 Games allowing just one goal
4 games allowing two goals
2 three goal games (Although one of those was 3 goals on only 8 shots)
1 five goal game (never got pulled, played the whole 60mins)

There aren't to many goalies playing like Sparks is at the current time.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Why is Biggs on the 4 th line? He has more points than several players on the top 3 lines and is the biggest player on the team and its power forward..
I'd imagine it's because he plays a game that suited for the fourth line and there are more talented players at his position who would benefit from increased ice time playing with more talented teammates.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:55 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
you have to be pretty impressed with the year Robbie Russo is having as a sophmore for the Irish.

this kid has to be in contention for a invite as he has been awesome this year; leading the defense in scoring and tied for 2nd overall on the team in scoring... and from what I have seen in the few games I saw of the Illinois native, he looked pretty good in his own zone as well..

another sleeper.
Yeah, I really liked Russo in the u18s a couple years ago. I wonder if they would go with a older, more experienced guy like Russo over a possibly more dynamic player like Grzelchyk.

I would assume Jones and Trouba are locks for the top4 RD spots and Gostisbehere will take a top4 LD spot.

Gostisbehere-Jones
Russo-Trouba
McCabe-Murphy
Gryz/Reilly

That would be a solid group of defensemen.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
More points than who?

He definitely doesn't have more points than Galchenyuk. Noesen and him are running roughly equal in P/G. Miller is playing the in AHL which is a significant step up in competition. Gaudreau, Grimaldi, Vesey, Kerdiles, Lucia are playing in the NCAA which is a step up and most are outscoring him anyway.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
More points than who?

He definitely doesn't have more points than Galchenyuk. Noesen and him are running roughly equal in P/G. Miller is playing the in AHL which is a significant step up in competition. Gaudreau, Grimaldi, Vesey, Kerdiles, Lucia are playing in the NCAA which is a step up and most are outscoring him anyway.
Did you just say NCAA is a step up from the CHL? Really??

Old
12-03-2012, 07:01 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
what i think he meant is that it is harder to score in the NCAA. players are not usually putting up PPG numbers in the more defensive game of the NCAA

Old
12-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Grimaldi - Galchenyuk - Boucher
Gaudreau - Miller - Noesen
Lucia - Trocheck - Erne
Biggs - Kerdiles - Matteau
Do you think that USA might be better off rolling Matteau and/or Biggs with the top guys.

Like a Boucher-Galchenyuk-Matteau/Biggs line, and spread out the scoring. Can have Matteau, Biggs, and Miller on three seperate lines, with skill guys. Then have a fourth line energy line that goes out there and does not stop moving their feet.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:08 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
It's definitely harder to score a lot of point in the NCAA.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Langway
Intangibles

@ShawnReznikTHW: Confirmed by Reid Boucher that he will not be attending USA WJC camp. @intheoradio @TPS_Guy @chrismpeters @jrhockeywriter @RossyYoungblood

Old
12-03-2012, 07:12 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
@ShawnReznikTHW: Confirmed by Reid Boucher that he will not be attending USA WJC camp. @intheoradio @TPS_Guy @chrismpeters @jrhockeywriter @RossyYoungblood
wow if that is true. that sucks. thought hehad a good shot at making the team. looks like some of the picks could surprise people as USA hockey usually does

Old
12-03-2012, 07:13 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Seriously why??? he was playing so well the last 3 weeks.....

Old
12-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
what i think he meant is that it is harder to score in the NCAA. players are not usually putting up PPG numbers in the more defensive game of the NCAA
Okay, fair enough. Objection withdrawn.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
I predicted it earlier....

Boucher can be seen as too one-dimensional. Aside from his shot, which is one of the best of all prospects, he doesn't really offer much else. In a tournament like this, it's better to have more well-rounded guys. He's still got a bright future, but where he is right now he's not really valuable for this tourney.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:23 PM
William H Bonney

I'm not surprised at Boucher's omission. I didn't think he'd make the team but I thought he'd make the camp. His skating is average and he would need to be in the top six to be effective.

12-03-2012, 07:37 PM
lostinspace

Seems like he doesn't fit a role for USA. I'm sure he can skate, he was on a line with Grimaldi, Miller, Yakapov. and Galchenyuk - all pretty good players.

Closed Thread