HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Prospect Thread III

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 02:30 PM
FlaggerX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
The thing with Boone has always been that his work ethic far out paces his skillset, and that's what's going on in the OHL. It's somewhat typical for 19 or 20 year olds to dominate in junior. Simply put, they are the bigger, stronger, more experienced men of junior hockey. Boone Jenner definitely has some skill (after all, he was picked in the second round!), but it's his work ethic that has him getting his chances right now.

I remember when the Phoenix Coyotes drafted a 19 year old that had just led the WHL in scoring, a kid who was the talk of the prospects board for many moons. Colin Long never really had much of a shot to play in the NHL, but if you asked anybody who "knew" about him when he was still playing junior hockey, he was the next Denis Savard.

Boone's size and work ethic will afford him a spot on the Jackets, whenever NHL hockey resumes. If his scoring translates, great ... but if not, we drafted a guy with excellent tangible assets, a good, hard working kid that wants to be a winner.
He doesn't need to score a ton in the NHL, just score more then Sammi Pahlsson. Peca scored 20 during his peak years ad a defensive center. If Boone can be a solid defender and pot double figures in goals he'll be a great second round pick.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:34 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Yep, the intangible that is definitely tangible..

Quote:
The thing with Boone has always been that his work ethic far out paces his skillset, and that's what's going on in the OHL. It's somewhat typical for 19 or 20 year olds to dominate in junior. Simply put, they are the bigger, stronger, more experienced men of junior hockey. Boone Jenner definitely has some skill (after all, he was picked in the second round!), but it's his work ethic that has him getting his chances right now.

I remember when the Phoenix Coyotes drafted a 19 year old that had just led the WHL in scoring, a kid who was the talk of the prospects board for many moons. Colin Long never really had much of a shot to play in the NHL, but if you asked anybody who "knew" about him when he was still playing junior hockey, he was the next Denis Savard.

Boone's size and work ethic will afford him a spot on the Jackets, whenever NHL hockey resumes. If his scoring translates, great ... but if not, we drafted a guy with excellent tangible assets, a good, hard working kid that wants to be a winner.

a good, hard working kid that wants to be a winner - there it is right thar.. not only about the paycheck but willing to work hard to win. That means going into the corners or parking that big butt right infront of the net & tipping shots as they sail by. Taking out the man with the puck.. standing him up on the blue line. Winning draws, blocking shots.. giving it up to win

Old
12-03-2012, 08:03 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Jenner with goal and assist last night, +1 in a 2-3 loss against Sarnia.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=81742

Jenner invited to Canada's WJC Camp.

Shocking development!

12-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=81742

Jenner invited to Canada's WJC Camp.

Shocking development!
It can't be. He's a Columbus prospect, and everyone knows they can't draft and can't develop. There's been a mistake.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:24 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

#CBJ expect to have 5 in World Juniors: Jenner (CAN), Dansk (SWE), Korpisalo (FIN), Sedlak (CZR), Reilly (USA). Reilly invited to US camp.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Would have had Murray as well if not for injuries.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Would have had Murray as well if not for injuries.
Murray would have been a lock if not for the injury. Too bad, it would be great to see him against Nail Yakupov on the big stage again. I guarantee the results would have been different.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Murray would have been a lock if not for the injury. Too bad, it would be great to see him against Nail Yakupov on the big stage again. I guarantee the results would have been different.
I'm sad because a good tournament by Murray could have curtailed the mORRgan reilly talk that's currently all the rage throughout the hockey blogosphere.

Now, we'll have to hear all summer how he's the greatest thing ever.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:

Not when Murray is picked to play with the men at the WC in the spring

Old
12-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

#CBJ expect to have 5 in World Juniors: Jenner (CAN), Dansk (SWE), Korpisalo (FIN), Sedlak (CZR), Reilly (USA). Reilly invited to US camp.
Clearly this is untrue, and merely an indication of a massive conspiracy to make Scott Howson look good. There are five probable WJC players, with none of them being first-rounders. Not only that, one of them (Reilly) is a 4th-rounder, and one (Sedlak) is a 6th.

Since all we've heard is how this team can't draft, and obviously can't develop, this being a conspiracy is the only logical conclusion.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:20 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
Not when Murray is picked to play with the men at the WC in the spring
Not a chance

Old
12-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
I'm sad because a good tournament by Murray could have curtailed the mORRgan reilly talk that's currently all the rage throughout the hockey blogosphere.

I'm a huge Morgan Rielly fan personally. I will openly admit that he is the one defenseman taken after Ryan Murray that might actually turn into a better player ... had he stayed healthy, things might have gone very differently for us at the draft. That being said, Morgan is an offensive guy, and Ryan Murray is a far better all around player. In my opinion, this makes him far more valuable to us in the long term, than Morgan Rielly would in the short term. There is still the chance that Rielly turns into another Kris Russell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Not a chance
Reason? He should be healthy by then (might even play in the WHL playoffs, if the 'Tips are still around), and he played there last year.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:24 PM
candyman82

Quote:
I'm a huge Morgan Rielly fan personally. I will openly admit that he is the one defenseman taken after Ryan Murray that might actually turn into a better player ... had he stayed healthy, things might have gone very differently for us at the draft. That being said, Morgan is an offensive guy, and Ryan Murray is a far better all around player. In my opinion, this makes him far more valuable to us in the long term, than Morgan Rielly would in the short term. There is still the chance that Rielly turns into another Kris Russell.

Reason? He should be healthy by then (might even play in the WHL playoffs, if the 'Tips are still around), and he played there last year.
I think the only reason that happened was that the Oilers wanted to scout him some more.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:17 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
I think the only reason that happened was that the Oilers wanted to scout him some more.
ehhhh

Old
12-04-2012, 01:32 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
He will be rusty coming back from injury (If he'll even be able to play.) and assuming there IS a season someone always steps up in the NHL and will take the spot, and if there isn't a season then its almost a forgone conclusion he wouldn't play because that Canadian team will be loaded.

Quote:

And this too.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:43 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Strongly disagree here. While he did play a depth role on that team, I think people are selling him short. The last player to play for that team at such a young age was Paul Kariya ... selecting a player just to get a longer look at him doesn't typically happen, and I think using it as an excuse as to why he was on the team is unfair.

Canada is far too proud a hockey country to allow this sort of thing to happen with their program. The main goal in every international tournament for them is to win. The brass at last year's WHCs was no different, and Ryan Murray was absolutely deserving of his trip. Had a better (more experienced?) player been available and willing to go, then he wouldn't have been there.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:01 AM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Strongly disagree here. While he did play a depth role on that team, I think people are selling him short. The last player to play for that team at such a young age was Paul Kariya ... selecting a player just to get a longer look at him doesn't typically happen, and I think using it as an excuse as to why he was on the team is unfair.

Canada is far too proud a hockey country to allow this sort of thing to happen with their program. The main goal in every international tournament for them is to win. The brass at last year's WHCs was no different, and Ryan Murray was absolutely deserving of his trip. Had a better (more experienced?) player been available and willing to go, then he wouldn't have been there.
I agree 100%

Old
12-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

Hey, I just came here to send my love for David Savard. There was a profile on him in the local sports section, which featured quotes from JD. I was fortunate enough to watch him during his time with Moncton (QMJHL), including the championship year in 2010. Can't wait to see him after the lockout.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:24 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Jennr had an assist last night, -1 in a 4-3 in over Plymouth.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Bluejackets009

Boone Jenner is tied for the lead for goals in the OHL with 27. My question is if hes making this big of an impact in the OHL, what will happen next year with Springfield Or Columbus? will he be able to put up numbers similar to this?

Old
12-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejackets009 View Post
Boone Jenner is tied for the lead for goals in the OHL with 27. My question is if hes making this big of an impact in the OHL, what will happen next year with Springfield Or Columbus? will he be able to put up numbers similar to this?
Your question has been discussed recently beginning with post 344 of this thread. Hope he has a good WJC.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i'll take it with a grain of salt...he's an overager in the O...but i am happy he's progressing...

Old
12-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
i'll take it with a grain of salt...he's an overager in the O...but i am happy he's progressing...
Moot point, but he is a '93 birthday and thus doesn't count as an overager.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:22 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
Jenner is not an overager. If he was eligible for the AHL he'd be there.

Closed Thread