HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Who will win the BCS title: Notre Dame or Alabama?

View Poll Results: Who will the BCS championship game featuring the Notre Dame vs. Alabama
Notre Dame Fighting Irish 24 40.00%
Alabama Crimson Tide 36 60.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-03-2012, 11:53 AM
NoNecksCurse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
They put themselves in positions to be exploited by running QBs all season. Johnny Football just made it obvious.

Watching that Georgia game, you could constantly see times where Golson would be able to pick up 10 yards easily. That said, play calling is situational, so it would change with Golson in the backfield. But, we already saw what a good running QB can do to Bama.
agreed. there will be plays where golson can exploit. i guarantee that but its about minimizing and depending on each team's game plan. alabama is very vulnerable against dual threat qb's. its been that way saban's entire tenure. but can golson deliever for 4 quarters in such a huge game? alabama will run the ball.. this I'm sure of.

another big question.. is mccarron. I've heard from a source around tuscaloosa.. that he has been playing hurt ever since missouri (ribs) .. would explain his horrid play of late. i think whoever's qb plays better, wins. unless the ground game can take over for alabama (georgia).. and its capable of that with all the hogmollies alabama has up front on the offensive line.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:54 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
They put themselves in positions to be exploited by running QBs all season. Johnny Football just made it obvious.

Watching that Georgia game, you could constantly see times where Golson would be able to pick up 10 yards easily. That said, play calling is situational, so it would change with Golson in the backfield. But, we already saw what a good running QB can do to Bama.
That's a silly argument to bring up... You don't think any of that was planned by Alabama, given that Murray isn't a running QB or a threat to run? If you think those same holes will be open in a few weeks, you've got another thing coming. Those holes were open because they knew Murray wasn't going to run, and that if he did, they could close in on him quickly.

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

That said, I think it would be hilarious to see the Irish crush the tide by like 50 points, just to watch the reaction from the SEC> everybody crowd.

Alex Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:58 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
That's a silly argument to bring up... You don't think any of that was planned by Alabama, given that Murray isn't a running QB or a threat to run? If you think those same holes will be open in a few weeks, you've got another thing coming. Those holes were open because they knew Murray wasn't going to run, and that if he did, they could close in on him quickly.
agree with your post. but those holes will be there. alabama does not fare so well against dual threat qb's. dont know if its saban's schemes or what. they also have ample time to prepare so we will see.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:07 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Golson is nowhere near the caliber of JFF. Just because JFF carved up the Bama defense with his running game doesn't mean Golson will.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:08 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
agree with your post. but those holes will be there. alabama does not fare so well against dual threat qb's. dont know if its saban's schemes or what. they also have ample time to prepare so we will see.
If the holes are open, then I'll expect a spy on him. At the least they'll game plan vs a running QB this time, unlike having to spend anytime at all game planning against a running Murray.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:14 PM
MurrayBannerman
The Portents

vCash: 1062
Quote:
If the holes are open, then I'll expect a spy on him. At the least they'll game plan vs a running QB this time, unlike having to spend anytime at all game planning against a running Murray.
That's why I brought up Johnny Football

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:15 PM
MurrayBannerman
The Portents

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Golson is nowhere near the caliber of JFF. Just because JFF carved up the Bama defense with his running game doesn't mean Golson will.
Yea, but as a whole, the teams are much more even then the rest of A&M was against Bama, so it kind of evens out.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:20 PM
RayP

Quote:
That's why I brought up Johnny Football
Manziel ran for over 1100 yards. Golson barely cracked 300.

That's not to mention the difference in passing yards in addition to that.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:29 PM
MurrayBannerman
The Portents

Quote:
Manziel ran for over 1100 yards. Golson barely cracked 300.

That's not to mention the difference in passing yards in addition to that.
One's the focal point of the offense and the other isn't, but showed he can be.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:44 PM
peate
Good grief!

My two favorite all time NCAA teams and I have to pick one. Hmmm, I think I'll go with The Irish just cause I'd like to see Mante Te'o finish his college days with a Championship and maybe the Heisman, although Manziel's got it almost in the bag, his only disadvantage is he's still just a freshman. Should be a good close game, it's just a shame they have to wait over a month to play it.

21-17 final score

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
That said, I think it would be hilarious to see the Irish crush the tide by like 50 points, just to watch the reaction from the SEC> everybody crowd.
This would be interesting, for sure. However, behind closed doors ND fans and anti-SEC fans (of which I'm one) have to be hoping it's not a blowout in the other direction.

I would like to say 'screw you' to Alabama and the SEC in general for making me root for Notre Dame.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
this is the exact game i want to see.. i don't care how many SEC teams get in. when teams like louisville, northern illinois get a bcs bid over stronger teams (mostly SEC, 6 teams in top 10).. thats not bias.. its just wanting the best to play.
I agree. I wish the better teams would get in, but there are other teams from other conferences that didn't get bcs bids, as well.

Quote:
i understand why you think im bias .. and i am a little bit towards alabama not the SEC. i could give two ***** if our rivals LSU, auburn, florida, ect get a good bowl. i just see this crap every year where everyone tries to poo-poo on the SEC and what its done in past years. and again this year, SEC dominates... and again, the whining and ********. thats where you take it as bias. its truly not.
I don't like ND and I couldn't care less about the SEC. I just find it funny that year after year teams like Utah, BSU and TCU were given no shot to even hang with SEC and big 12 schools, yet they won their bowl games.

I wouldn't be surprised by Alabama winning, but people are looking for reasons to count ND out when they ran their table and earned the right to be where they are.

Quote:
we will see how good SEC is though.. south carolina/michigan, bama/notre dame, georgia/nebraska, miss st/northwestern, lsu/clemson, texas a&m/oklahoma
IMO, SC, Georgia, Clemson and Ok take those games.

Quote:
i actually like notre dame .. and where have I hated on non SEC conferences? cause I haven't.. maybe conferences like MAC, WAC, sun belt, big east, ACC, ect.

you actually believe the irish will dominate the line of scrimmage? honestly? notre dame's only shot is a great game by golson.. thats it. alabama will run the ball and dominate the LOS. bama's pass defense is susceptible if the irish can find the holes in there weak, soft coverage alot of times.
I took your quote from earlier and switched the teams around.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:53 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
One's the focal point of the offense and the other isn't, but showed he can be.
He really hasn't... He's been okay. But to say that simply because JFF was able to run pretty much wherever he pleased against Bama, Golson will too is just naive. You obviously haven't watched him all that much if you honestly think that. JFF just has this... evasiveness that you just can't teach, and that very, very few people have (and no, Golson is not one of them). That's what got him through Bama, not anything else.

Also, Bama was only able to put up 24 points on our defense. I think we've proven that we've got a very strong defense all around, especially on the line. We did have some bad games (57 points against LA Tech, but that team is ridiculously underrated) but I do think that our defense could match up with ND's, if not best them. ND hasn't been tested quite like our D has.

I don't actually believe that last paragraph, ND's D is probably better than ours, but that's exactly what you're doing when you compare Golson to JFF. Absurd, isn't it?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:55 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
I agree. I wish the better teams would get in, but there are other teams from other conferences that didn't get bcs bids, as well.

I don't like ND and I couldn't care less about the SEC. I just find it funny that year after year teams like Utah, BSU and TCU were given no shot to even hang with SEC and big 12 schools, yet they won their bowl games.

I wouldn't be surprised by Alabama winning, but people are looking for reasons to count ND out when they ran their table and earned the right to be where they are.

IMO, SC, Georgia, Clemson and Ok take those games.

I took your quote from earlier and switched the teams around.
teams like boise state, tcu, utah, ect have been screwed in the past. im a big supporter of letting those teams have a shot and was a supporter of boise at its peak with moore.

yeah SEC has tough games this bowl season.. miss st, vanderbilt, and ole miss could bring down the bowl record some. but I'm more interesting in the top 6 SEC matchups

Old
12-03-2012, 03:24 PM
MurrayBannerman
The Portents

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
He really hasn't... He's been okay. But to say that simply because JFF was able to run pretty much wherever he pleased against Bama, Golson will too is just naive. You obviously haven't watched him all that much if you honestly think that. JFF just has this... evasiveness that you just can't teach, and that very, very few people have (and no, Golson is not one of them). That's what got him through Bama, not anything else.

Also, Bama was only able to put up 24 points on our defense. I think we've proven that we've got a very strong defense all around, especially on the line. We did have some bad games (57 points against LA Tech, but that team is ridiculously underrated) but I do think that our defense could match up with ND's, if not best them. ND hasn't been tested quite like our D has.

I don't actually believe that last paragraph, ND's D is probably better than ours, but that's exactly what you're doing when you compare Golson to JFF. Absurd, isn't it?
I'm not trying to compare Golson to Johnny Football! Those players present similar problems to different degrees. Johnny Football has a nack for making something out of nothing and ripping off long runs. Golson, on the other hand, benefits from the talent around him and can rip off ten yard runs very easily. Johnny Football is more of a big play maker where as Golson is more of a chain mover at this point. Certainly, he's not the magnitude of a player that Johnny Football is, but he's QB who threatens in two different facets of the game.

Also, you obviously have not watched much of Golson. He's improved steadily since the Michigan game and came up big in the OU and Pitt games. He's a good QB and I'm very confident in him going into this game.

ND D's defense is better. I understand that you have Moore and such on your defense, but our front seven is the best in college football and it's very hard to rival them. And, yes, they've been tested. They went into Norman and held OU to 13 points, 7 of which came in garbage time.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

I'd like to see ND win this one but I'll go with 'Bama 20-16.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Reality Check

I honestly think Notre Dame will get crushed and people will consider Alabama-Georgia the defacto National Championship game in hindsight

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Roll Tide 33-13

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
I don't hate Alabama or the sec. Your obvious bias gets in the way of logic. ND has won every game they've played, unlike Alabama, who lost on their own field to a lower ranked opponent.
Alabama was ranked 1st for the entire year except for week 1 when they were 2nd, the only way they could lose was to a lower opponent.

The way I see it, the Irish got lucky on Pitt's missed field goal and we didn't on a 1st & Goal against aTm. You already got your bounce

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:48 PM
MurrayBannerman
The Portents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Alabama was ranked 1st for the entire year except for week 1 when they were 2nd, the only way they could lose was to a lower opponent.

The way I see it, the Irish got lucky on Pitt's missed field goal and we didn't on a 1st & Goal against aTm. You already got your bounce
I'd say the kid who caught the ball at the end of the title game was pretty lucky for you. If the kid had any awareness of the situation he would have dropped it right when he started to fall.

But, that's also stupid play calling. Which isn't luck.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
I'd say the kid who caught the ball at the end of the title game was pretty lucky for you. If the kid had any awareness of the situation he would have dropped it right when he started to fall.

But, that's also stupid play calling. Which isn't luck.
What does that make you not even haveing to play a game this week then? Independants bias!!

Old
12-03-2012, 10:36 PM
MurrayBannerman
The Portents

Quote:
What does that make you not even haveing to play a game this week then? Independants bias!!
TEH BIAS!!!!

Old
12-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
TEH BIAS!!!!
Alabama wins because McCarron has a cooler tattoo than Te'o. Lock it in

Old
12-03-2012, 11:37 PM
MurrayBannerman
The Portents

Quote:
Alabama wins because McCarron has a cooler tattoo than Te'o. Lock it in

That's a big advantage right there. I'll give you that. But, Te'o's going to teach the defense to do this in the pre-game.

It will result in Bama doing this (skip to 0:38)