HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Euro hockey = Boring

Old
11-30-2012, 10:52 AM
camper

vCash: 500
Euro hockey = Boring

Watched a few games on line, the Euro game just doesn't to it, way too soft and non physical.
Not sure i would be a hockey fan if that was the North American game, it definately would not sell in the southern U.S.
The Euro game resembles figure skating with pads

camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Isles Junkie

well it's certainly tougher than figure skating with pads.

I apologize in advance for the horrible music

It is a softer game than the NHL game for sure. But it isn't like they're playing ladies hockey out there. It's softer for a number of reasons. I think the biggest reason is the rink is bigger & there's more room for players to maneuver with the puck.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Yashin for President

Watched this morning on MSG, that will be the last time. If I'm an NHL player in this league I would be furious that if I was still playing in the KHL in December. Crosby and the rest of the stars would be making a big mistake playing there. JT did the right thing playing in a softer league, last thing these guys need is a major injury. For those comparing KHL to NHL, stop. Not even close.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:56 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
Watched this morning on MSG, that will be the last time. If I'm an NHL player in this league I would be furious that if I was still playing in the KHL in December. Crosby and the rest of the stars would be making a big mistake playing there. JT did the right thing playing in a softer league, last thing these guys need is a major injury. For those comparing KHL to NHL, stop. Not even close.
I don't think anyone seriously compares the NHL with the KHL.

The NHL game's speed AND physical play is what makes it so incredibly tough to play in. The fancy plays and points/game comparisons mean absolutely nothing.

Tavares is having fun, nothing more.

I really doubt Datsyuk, Malkin, and other NHL superstars are giving it their all in the KHL and when I see Omark, Brunner, Randy Robitaille, Glen Metropolit as top scorers in those leagues, well, let's just say I'm not impressed.

Having said that, the speed of play, on the big ice, is pretty good. There's just more skating and more free-flowing play, more exciting to watch (in a way) but frankly, the players aren't that good.

The goaltending in the Swiss league seems pretty terrible.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 04:35 AM
LetsGoIslanders

I visited Sweden and Finland during the 04-05 lockout and I can confirm the thread starter. I watched playoff games for Djurgarden and Jokerit. The big ice sucks. Anyone who says that the league needs to go to an international size rink has never watched a game on it. It's absolutely horrible.

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:54 AM
holyprime

I dont know, to me hockey isnt about hits and fights, but more about goals, great plays and awesome saves. I do enjoy to watch physical players, but i dont see why it's a necessity to have a brawl and a concussion in every game played.

But i'm a euro, so maybe i just dont see that point

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
The goaltending in the Swiss league seems pretty terrible.
Goaltending tends to look terrible in any highlight reel (except its one about saves).

Maybe i'm too biased, but goaltending is actually one of our strengths, in the league as well as on international level (i'd say we'll see that when Corey Schneider starts playing) . What the league lacks is defensive depth, there's a much bigger gap between a teams top and bottom pair than in the NHL, SEL or KHL.

holyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:39 AM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyprime View Post
Goaltending tends to look terrible in any highlight reel (except its one about saves).

Maybe i'm too biased, but goaltending is actually one of our strengths, in the league as well as on international level (i'd say we'll see that when Corey Schneider starts playing) . What the league lacks is defensive depth, there's a much bigger gap between a teams top and bottom pair than in the NHL, SEL or KHL.
Bolded for truth, just like highlight reels for goalies can make them look like they are in the top percentage of Ratta... hrm... goalies.

See?

Although goaltending in our league isn't outstanding, I'd consider it pretty solid. The biggest problem is located on D. The depth players are pretty terrible and (especially this season due to the higher talent level up front) often exposed. Add the facts, that most swiss teams tend to play a "run & gun"-kinda game and that the swiss defensemen tend to "forget" to clear the puck in front of the net, and you have an explanation for the "terrible swiss goaltenders".

TheNeutrality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:09 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
I dont know, to me hockey isnt about hits and fights, but more about goals, great plays and awesome saves. I do enjoy to watch physical players, but i dont see why it's a necessity to have a brawl and a concussion in every game played.
because physical play = brawls and concussions

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:09 AM
IslesNorway

In Europe the emphasis has always been more on the skill side of things than just playing physical. The small ice in the NHL makes for more physical play and more shots on goal, but there's much less actual passing between players - just dump the puck and see what happens.

The NHL makes for a more exciting game of non stop action whereas the European game requires a bit more patience.
The funny thing is that lots of people in Europe will not watch the NHL because of all the brawling and fighting and little actual play.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:18 AM
LetsGoIslanders

European hockey is just boring on the big rink. As I mentioned, I traveled to Scandinavia during the last lockout. You're watching soccer on ice just as you do when CCHA/WCHA teams play on an international sized rink. Teams simply setup in their defensive zone in 2-1-2. Two wingers who attack the puck handlers. A center who tries to disrupt a pass into the offensive zone, and two d-men who slouch back and try to break up any passes to wingers. It's the most predictable style.

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:01 AM
holyprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
because physical play = brawls and concussions
Ofc not, but its not like euro hockey is figure skating with two teams full of lady byng candidates either.

Bigger ice means less intense games, but gives time and space for more creativity. I just enjoy our emphasis on a fast paced coast to coast game more than the NHL's emphasis on dump and chase.

holyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:07 AM
barmbek76

NHL hockey > european hockey

NHL atmosphere < european atmosphere

Attending games is fun everywhere. Watching games on TV or online is just another story...

barmbek76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
Watched a few games on line, the Euro game just doesn't to it, way too soft and non physical.
Not sure i would be a hockey fan if that was the North American game, it definately would not sell in the southern U.S.
Hockey already does not sell in the south

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:40 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:

thanks for the input.

I agree that highlights are definitely biased. Just seemed that some of the goals that were scored had MOSTLY stoppable shots, maybe it was just a small sample size.

I'd agree with you that the depth on defense (even the bottom six forwards) is likely the biggest difference in some of the european leagues. Fact is, internationally, the teams that come from Europe are pretty damn good (Switzerland is getting much much better, Finland has improved drastically in recent years, Russia, Sweden, Czech, Slovakia can beat anyone, anytime.

But in league play, you can see the talent level is pretty diluted. I've watched a few streams of the KHL and I've seen JT play 2-3 times (not just highlights) and the level of play is pretty good. But it's pretty clear the top players are far better than the bottom ones.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:27 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
thanks for the input.

I agree that highlights are definitely biased. Just seemed that some of the goals that were scored had MOSTLY stoppable shots, maybe it was just a small sample size.

I'd agree with you that the depth on defense (even the bottom six forwards) is likely the biggest difference in some of the european leagues. Fact is, internationally, the teams that come from Europe are pretty damn good (Switzerland is getting much much better, Finland has improved drastically in recent years, Russia, Sweden, Czech, Slovakia can beat anyone, anytime.

But in league play, you can see the talent level is pretty diluted. I've watched a few streams of the KHL and I've seen JT play 2-3 times (not just highlights) and the level of play is pretty good. But it's pretty clear the top players are far better than the bottom ones.
Which is the exact reason why smaller nations such as Slovakia or Switzerland is even able to compete. They produce enough good players on a steady basis to stay fairly close to the likes of Canada or Russia on an international level, but the lack the depth those nations have. At the Olympics Canada could easily field four or five teams capable of winning.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:43 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

All Euro hockey is not the same thing. KHL and SEL is soft yes, but not DEL, NLA och SM-liga.

And when its playoff even KHL and SEL is quite gritty.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:52 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
All Euro hockey is not the same thing. KHL and SEL is soft yes, but not DEL, NLA och SM-liga.

thanks for that.

On the History Of Hockey board they have some old SEL games from the 60s (if I recall correctly) and the level of play and chippiness is pretty intense.

North Americans are generally pretty narrow-minded to think that hockey is somehow "soft" in other regions. It's a very fast, highly competitive game and at a high level (in any country) the sheer speed and stakes makes for a pretty great and hardly soft game!

The NHL has the fastest game with the smallest ice and the biggest players - hence, much more physical play and a requirement to be able to play in that environment.

I don't doubt that a player like Linus Omark is incredibly talented/skilled. He displayed a lot of pure talent in Edmonton but ultimately, is not suited to NHL hockey. He's a very effective player in Europe though.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:14 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmbek76 View Post
NHL hockey > european hockey

NHL atmosphere < european atmosphere

Attending games is fun everywhere. Watching games on TV or online is just another story...
I wish you could have gone to an exciting game before the Bettman dilution (kids replace die hard fans, costumed mascots replace cursing and screaming, yada yada yada).

But even then, European arenas seem so intense.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Robin Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
To each his own. I watch the NHL because the best players in the world plays there. But honostly I think the NHL hockey is boring as hell. Dump and chase, chase and dump, battling in the corners with random outcomes, all game long. The European game may be predictable. That's because the best teams at hockey wins. In NA it is too random because it's too easy to be destructive and defensive. European hockey favors the skilled players and gives them room to play around the goons who have it too easy in NA. All NA fans love the Crosby's, the Malkin's, the Datsuyk's because of their hockey skill. That's the reason why I don't understand why you wouldn't promote a style of hockey that stimulates the skill style instead of the physical style. Maybe it's just one of those things. :-)

Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Tomas W

I think that the OP exaggerate, but I too prefer NHL action over euro hockey, still I watch Swedish hockey as well.

Funny though that the americans always say that soccer is boring (or in this case "large ice" hockey), when they have the incredibly slow and boring sport called Baseball as a major sport.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 06:32 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
I think that the OP exaggerate, but I too prefer NHL action over euro hockey, still I watch Swedish hockey as well.

Funny though that the americans always say that soccer is boring (or in this case "large ice" hockey), when they have the incredibly slow and boring sport called Baseball as a major sport.
the game is...who can piss over the big lake first! My bet is on North america

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post

SM Liiga has been pretty soft this whole year. Even SM liiga fans admit it. Something that happened in the preseason has lead to stricter refs that aren't really allowing much physical play

12-13-2012, 09:05 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post

nice!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:30 AM
WeberStreit

I have to agree with the op. It's not as exciting as the NHL. But for the most part, it's because you don't regonice any players. I really like to watch the swiss league, because I know the players (and now with the lockout stars even more), but I don't think I have ever watched a whole game of another league than the NHL. Because I don't know most of the players.

WeberStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:46 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberStreit View Post
I have to agree with the op. It's not as exciting as the NHL. But for the most part, it's because you don't regonice any players. I really like to watch the swiss league, because I know the players (and now with the lockout stars even more), but I don't think I have ever watched a whole game of another league than the NHL. Because I don't know most of the players.
It's much easier to get to know the NHL than any euro leauge. The NHL is a better organised and marketed product. Journalism, stats (largely due to the draft system) and open forums (yes, i mean you!) are much better. An example: everyone would spend 150 dollars to get on demand live streams of all the best soccer games from all the top leagues (gamecenter equivalent). I spend 360 euros a year to watch only the austrian and german bundesliga...

To be fair i am also spending 200 dollars a season to watch the ahl, with its ****** streams, commentators and without in game replays (ridiculous).

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote