HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Defending against a female player

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2012, 02:25 AM
  #51
izzy3
Registered User
 
izzy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Dating = "don't touch my girlfriend!!!"

Married = "meh"



I only play against two girls, but both of them play in the first national league for women. I do not play physical against them, but I do try to block their way if I can, and their sticks are being checked good.

Both seem to appreciate the way I play against them, on my better days I can defend pretty good against the worse one. The better one (she's also on the national team) is a tough nut though, she can stickhandle in a booth, and will beat me about 50-70% of the time.


Last edited by izzy3: 12-03-2012 at 07:57 AM.
izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:22 AM
  #52
Cattman
Laughing Skulls HC
 
Cattman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lusby, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
I play in a lower level beer league. The way I see it, females that play know what they are getting into. They have all of the same gear as I do. There is no checking in my league, but there is still physical play. I see no difference in gender on the ice.

Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:24 PM
  #53
Beville
#ForTheBoys
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Engerlanddd!
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
I assume when you're talking about checking female players, you mean the defending/covering types of checking rather than full-out hits since you mentioned it was a low-level beer league. Full-check hockey against a girl would be one thing because of the mass/height difference, but in incidental-contact-but-no-check hockey, go ahead and bump her defend her like you would anyone else. She either won't care at all or will overreact and earn herself a trip to the box. Win-win for you.

Also, protip for defending girls in front of the net. The "put your stick in the small of his back and steer him" method of moving male players is much less effective on female players because our center of gravity is in our hips rather than our chest. If you want to steer a girl who is set on her skates, you've got to get your stick lower.
You are talking about hockey, right?

But simply put, if a girl has an option of a womens league, or a mixed league and chooses to play in the latter... She's gotta accept that she could get pasted... Simple.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:10 PM
  #54
SCritical
Registered User
 
SCritical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
You are talking about hockey, right?

But simply put, if a girl has an option of a womens league, or a mixed league and chooses to play in the latter... She's gotta accept that she could get pasted... Simple.
Why? Because guys tend to be bigger? I get more roughed up playing women's league than mixed, let me assure you.

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:15 AM
  #55
Kritter471
Registered User
 
Kritter471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Yeah, I think a girl playing in any league, women's or co-ed, has to accept she could get pasted (within reason, of course - accidental pastings happen everywhere but in no-check leagues no one should ever expect to be intentionally steamrolled).

I know the dirtiest shots I've ever taken are from other women, either in co-ed games or women's tournaments.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:20 AM
  #56
wahsnairb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post


I only play against two girls, but both of them play in the first national league for women. I do not play physical against them, but I do try to block their way if I can, and their sticks are being checked good.

Both seem to appreciate the way I play against them, on my better days I can defend pretty good against the worse one. The better one (she's also on the national team) is a tough nut though, she can stickhandle in a booth, and will beat me about 50-70% of the time.
where do you play?

we had 2 girls who play CWHL and 1 plays on Canada's top line while the other has played for their developmental team.. we also have 2 former college lady captains and a few other varsity lady players.

guys tend to take it out on the few of us guys on the team when these ladies beat them badly.. it sucks and is awesome at the same time.


Last edited by wahsnairb: 12-04-2012 at 03:59 AM.
wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:47 AM
  #57
izzy3
Registered User
 
izzy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
where do you play?

we had 2 girls who play CWHL and 1 plays on Canada's top line while the other has played for their device team.. we also have 2 former college lady captains and a few other varsity lady players.
I play in Germany's biggest beer league, the DPL. Both of these girls play in the 2nd division but obviously not full time (both play for their national league team first, obviously). The first divison has some retired pro players and some ex-jrs from the US/Canada, high speed, hitting, very competitive.

I don't think the one in the national team is as good as a girl from the Canadian team (they finished 7th last time), but she can change a game in the 2nd division. I think she should play in the 1st, but probably it's just a little fun for her, and she does not want to play with beasts from the 1st. Even though there's hitting in all divisions, the simple fact that the 2nd is slower, will give her a chance to survive.

Quote:
guys tend to take it out on the few of us guys on the team when these ladies beat them badly.. it sucks and is awesome at the same time.
LOL I hear ya. I played sommer league with the girl on the national team, and while she made a fool out of me on most occasions, I almost had a crush on her being so awesome and modest at the same time.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:02 AM
  #58
Beville
#ForTheBoys
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Engerlanddd!
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
Why? Because guys tend to be bigger? I get more roughed up playing women's league than mixed, let me assure you.
Basically yeah... It's the attitude I always took...

The worst I've ever done was a brutal, yet perfect hip check...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:21 AM
  #59
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,396
vCash: 500
All the ladies I know say women's league is far chippier and more physical

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:55 AM
  #60
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
All the ladies I know say women's league is far chippier and more physical
Well, for one thing, it's going to be for them without question. When you have threads of guys asking how to play against a female and how much physicality is ok, it kind of goes hand in hand that girls that play against these guys aren't going to experience the full chippiness or physicality that would be directed toward other male players. Of course girls playing in a men's league are going to say the men's league seemed less physical; none of the men were sure how much space to give and how hard to push. I'm not saying girls leagues aren't chippier as they could be, I just don't think a real objective verdict can be reached by that comparison. And in a real hitting league most of the time they are at a disadvantage due to size and strength. I'm not bring sexist, some girls are bigger/stronger than some guys, but in general the odds of them getting lit up are high. When I mentioned the difference between playing casual pickup with strangers vs my usual group of ex-college/junior players earlier I should have pointed out the girls who sometimes show up for our usual skate can skate and handle the puck like pros (figure of speech) and will lay a good hit here and there but get dominated when the play is in the corner or along the boards because the strength of the guys, pretty much universally, is overwhelming in those situations. They can throw some good hits, but their hits are generally much easier to shrug off and they are much easier to pin or push off the puck, despite being extremely good athletes.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:29 PM
  #61
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 48,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
Why? Because guys tend to be bigger? I get more roughed up playing women's league than mixed, let me assure you.
He means if they are playing in a checking league. And that's because guys generally aren't going to rough up a girl, especially in a non-checking league.

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 01:46 AM
  #62
SCritical
Registered User
 
SCritical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Basically yeah... It's the attitude I always took...

The worst I've ever done was a brutal, yet perfect hip check...
heh. I'm sure she deserved it.

Size doesn't have to be a problem, although I can see why people would think it is. (It's not just a concern for women either, not all male hockey players are 6 ft and 200lb!) Most experienced players seem to be able to absorb collisions well even from a larger guy. I've never played contact but my understanding is that a good clean hit should knock a player off the puck, not squish them between you and the boards, right?

The danger comes from those 300lb benders who go barreling around at top speed with their heads down. If someone who isn't confident on their skates or is on the small side gets in the way, the results are invariably awful. I know from experience

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:14 AM
  #63
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
heh. I'm sure she deserved it.

Size doesn't have to be a problem, although I can see why people would think it is. (It's not just a concern for women either, not all male hockey players are 6 ft and 200lb!) Most experienced players seem to be able to absorb collisions well even from a larger guy. I've never played contact but my understanding is that a good clean hit should knock a player off the puck, not squish them between you and the boards, right?

The danger comes from those 300lb benders who go barreling around at top speed with their heads down. If someone who isn't confident on their skates or is on the small side gets in the way, the results are invariably awful. I know from experience
Well, it depends. In essence, any hit that, as you say, knocks you off the puck cleanly and effectively, is good a hit, but depending on the hockey being played, squishing agains the boards is desirable and this is where size and strength do come in. If you keep getting plastered, whether you're big enough, strong enough or experienced enough, to absorb most of it, it wears you down quickly and you fatigue. You also may start rushing plays or hesitating to want to go into the corner if you know you're going to get laid into real good each time, even if it doesn't necessarily "hurt". This is why it's so important in the NHL to have a good forecheck, the reason you always hear people talk about "finishing checks" and the reason energy line guys are often referred to as "grinders". You literally grind your opponents down when you keep laying into them with your full weight.

You're also correct in that not all male players are the same size and that it's not an issue that is exclusive to female players. In general, however, experienced male players are going to be sturdier than even experienced female players. By no means is that universal, nor does it mean that there aren't females who are tougher than even experienced male players, or take a hit better, but in general, a man who is an experienced hitter (played/was coached in a league that has full, NHL rules, regarding hitting) is going to have a significant weight advantage over a woman playing hockey and it can make a huge difference. Just for example, I play with some very, very talented, experienced young women who can play some really aggressive, physical hockey and forecheck, finish checks and provide a serious challenge even for us experienced guys BUT, on one or two occasions I have laid a full, unrestrained hit (not dirty, just didn't take anything off of it, as if it was one of my good buddies who I knew was good with it) on one of these girls and the results were ugly. I'm only 5'9 but I'm just so much thicker and heavier, especially at the speed we play at. Virtually 99.9% of the time, against a guy, even a huge hit, unless it results in clear injury, I'm just going to shout "you alright?" make sure I didn't cross any lines or do harm, and later, when the play is elsewhere and I have a chance, give the guy a little tap to acknowledge I'm not out there to be a jerk. With the girls, everyone stopped skating and most eyes on the ice were on me with a "whoa... that was not good" expression. There's just a difference.

You're also right about the inexperienced guys who end up going flying into people. But I just mean, as far as real hockey hitting goes, even when the girls are among the very best players on the ice, it's not really a good idea to put them on the same level as the guys, when it comes to whether or not you're going to lay into them or just use the 'separate them from the puck' method. That's why my initial post said that, in my usual group of players, I will play the girls we have (former college hockey players) identically to how I will play the best guy on the ice, right down to how much pressure I'll put on them in the corners, but I just won't hit them at more than 50% if I can help it.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.