2012 CBA/Lockout talk, Part the Fifth

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 09:11 AM
bp13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I've never been more serious. Every single player overseas right now, is not helping with getting a deal done. Even our beloved Bergeron. You ask what one player could do? Maybe provide some leadership?

Or hey, maybe someone else will do it. That seems to be working just fine.
Sorry, I just think that is criticism for the sake of it.

The league has TONS of players in the States and in Canada able to "exert pressure" or provide "leadership". There is no reason to think that adding another 100 to the 400-500 players would improve this situation. In fact, I think the number of players overseas almost increases the chances of some splintering within the PA, which might lead to a deal even sooner.

Moreover, the players hired Fehr as their leadership. And they have a leadership board. these guys aren't Teamsters. they don't need to take turns holding picket signs. They need to prepare themselves to ply their trade if/when the deal gets settled.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Fair Warning

Does anyone actually think there's going to be a season this year? I've seen nothing that indicates so or gives me any hope.

Sorry, been on a little board hiatus.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:12 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Yeah the "Let somebody else take care of it" mentality has worked great over the years for the NHLPA hasn't it?

I feel for guys like Thornton and a guy like Jay Beagle who place their futures in the hands of guys like Lundqvist and Crosby who never have to work another day in their lives.
There are a lot more mid-lower end guys than Crosby's and Staal's so I'm guessing they are growing more and more tired of this and just want to get back to work.

I hope DKH is right about the upcoming few days and they get their **** together and get going on this. I'm guessing the NHLPA is going to look a little different once the dust settles on this CBA.

I'm also interested in seeing the fallout be it players, media and league officials.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:39 AM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Warning View Post
Does anyone actually think there's going to be a season this year? I've seen nothing that indicates so or gives me any hope.

No, there won't be a season this year. The big question is that even if the season starts January 1st, will there be any interest in it or have the two sides killed NHL hockey for this season ?

I know I miss it up to a point, but I don't miss the NHL near as much as I thought I would.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

I'm doing so much other interesting stuff during the lockout that I doubt I'm going to have time to watch much hockey when it comes back. This isn't an "I'm mad at the NHL and punishing them by withholding my money", this is "I've found other stuff to do that interests me just as much or more."

Old
12-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 800
Seems like the only thing that's been happening is the two sides moving 2 steps forward to make a jump backward the size of 5 steps.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Why i think the players could show more, you can't blame them for being overseas playing. While yes many of them make sizable amounts of money, with that more then likely comes sizable more expenses. Think if you stopped working, it catches up.

I miss hockey and there's no doubt that if it was back on Jan. 1st i would watch every game per usual, but this lockout has really done a number on my respect for the NHL as well and i have to think that this lockout will do sizable amounts of damage to the reputation and following the league has, which is unfortunate because it was really starting to get to a higher place.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:33 PM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
The players and ownership are doing the 'Let's kill the league' dance. A kazatsky on the fans' throats.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:46 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
There are a lot more mid-lower end guys than Crosby's and Staal's so I'm guessing they are growing more and more tired of this and just want to get back to work.

I hope DKH is right about the upcoming few days and they get their **** together and get going on this. I'm guessing the NHLPA is going to look a little different once the dust settles on this CBA.

I'm also interested in seeing the fallout be it players, media and league officials.
I'll believe there will even be a CHANCE of a missed season when they make a drop dead date. They are to scared to even do that

I have no idea anymore when this will happen but they have a precedence- 1994-5 and it started Jan 20th and they played 48 games thru May 3rd. (if anyone can tell me of any Bruins fans that left then and didn't watch one second of the 2010-11 Cup run I wont believe it)

Old
12-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Warning View Post

Ever since they hired Fehr I've planned for there being no season this year and I still think there will be no season.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
You suggested that Bergeron represent the Bruins in the upcoming meeting. I said he was in Europe stealing jobs, you know, not helping negotiations.

I'm with you that I'm glad that we don't have to listen to Bruins players make fools of themselves in the media regarding this whole thing. But, as a whole, I'm with Lou and Scott that these guys(all players) shouldn't be playing hockey anywhere, they should be "here" putting pressure on getting a deal done.
I did, but only in response to what I took as a completely hypothetical situation proposed by the poster I quoted, a "if you couldn't have Shawn Thornton go who would you send from the team". I would assume the Bruins PA rep would be the one to actually represent them in whatever union matters crop up. In that completely fictional scenario however I'd choose someone most likely to argue for a deal, most likely to concede to the owners financial demands (as I don't believe there is a deal otherwise), and someone who wanted to get back to NHL hockey a.s.a.p. As Thornton was eliminated (the money aspects won't likely make much difference to him), I'd choose Bergeron because of his character.

Then you started the conversation based around Bergeron "stealing" someone elses job and the merits of such. On that point we're not likley to agree, I have no issues with Bergeron or any other player going overseas, in fact I'd rather see them there then sitting beside Don Fehr and Sid Crosby fighting for more millions. At least overseas they aren't diligently fighting a losing battle wasting everyones time. And if they want to put pressure on Fehr, I'm sure they can from overseas. Hamerlik and Neuvirth's comments caused quite the stir while they were over there after all.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:49 PM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I'll believe there will even be a CHANCE of a missed season when they make a drop dead date. They are to scared to even do that

I have no idea anymore when this will happen but they have a precedence- 1994-5 and it started Jan 20th and they played 48 games thru May 3rd. (if anyone can tell me of any Bruins fans that left then and didn't watch one second of the 2010-11 Cup run I wont believe it)
Not only that, but I remember traveling to Boston to go to the final game of the series against New Jersey in '95, shelling out big $$ for tickets and overpriced concessions, without caring at all what did or did not go on in December 1994. I will do the same in the spring of 2013 if it happens again.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:19 PM
EverettMike

I get the argument the players should be here and not over seas, but the owners actually took away their ability to work. Like, not metaphorically, but actually denied them the right to make the money they all agreed they could make.

If I had a family and only so many years to make money playing hockey I'd have to seriously consider it too, especially when I pay good money for other people to have the job of looking out for me with the owners.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I get the argument the players should be here and not over seas, but the owners actually took away their ability to work. Like, not metaphorically, but actually denied them the right to make the money they all agreed they could make.

If I had a family and only so many years to make money playing hockey I'd have to seriously consider it too, especially when I pay good money for other people to have the job of looking out for me with the owners.
I'm sure Jeremy Jacobs hasn't stopped making money from his other companies while this is going on. Do you think he's spent all his time trying to end this lockout? I'm sure he hasn't been attending to any other of his business matters.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Bruins Atmosphere

Can he really be a GREAT OWNER??

Like me, I know 95% (or more) of us hockey fans believe that Jeremy Jacobs is mainly in it for the bucks. But will there ever come a time where he can learn from Robert Kraft and try to get the fans on his side. To really step in there tomorrow and end this saga. Jacobs must be in his 70's now. He KNOWS how most of us fell about him. He's not dumb.
Ending this lockout now, or next year doesn't make a difference to the fans... we're already irate about how they handled this. BUT WHAT DOES MATTER is HOW you end the lockout. Come out and speak and actually try to get fans on your side. Admit it was a terrible situation that was poorly handled. Actually say your gonna give fans great deals on tickets. At least try and be human.
To me, this his last chance to get fans on his side..... just a little anyway.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:30 PM
seemlessglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ13 View Post
Not only that, but I remember traveling to Boston to go to the final game of the series against New Jersey in '95, shelling out big $$ for tickets and overpriced concessions, without caring at all what did or did not go on in December 1994. I will do the same in the spring of 2013 if it happens again.
Then you are contributing to the problem. Believe it or not the NHL is not life and death folks. They (players and owners) could give 2 ***** if you come or go. I have
not missed them for a moment. Will I watch if they come back? Maybe, if I'm not doing anything else. Nothing personel but I care as much about them as they care
about me.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemlessglass View Post
Then you are contributing to the problem. Believe it or not the NHL is not life and death folks. They (players and owners) could give 2 ***** if you come or go. I have
not missed them for a moment. Will I watch if they come back? Maybe, if I'm not doing anything else. Nothing personel but I care as much about them as they care
about me.
You're taking the time to read/post on an NHL message board during a lockout. You care.

There's nothing wrong with caring.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:17 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
You are completely obnoxious on every level.
If HF had an voting feature similar to ******, I'd upvote the hell out of this post.

(For old timers: translation --> I concur).

Old
12-03-2012, 05:28 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

So just sitting here doing online Christmas shopping and WBZ's Steve Burton reports the NHL lockout is close to being over and a deal is close... ??

Only thing I found on Twitter was CBS reportedly saying they could announce the season on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Bueller?

12-03-2012, 05:29 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Old
12-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBruinsGirl View Post
So just sitting here doing online Christmas shopping and WBZ's Steve Burton reports the NHL lockout is close to being over and a deal is close... ??

Only thing I found on Twitter was CBS reportedly saying they could announce the season on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Bueller?
Maybe the cancellation of it. Hard to get a deal done without meeting.

I am Boston Strong

Old
12-03-2012, 05:46 PM
seemlessglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
You're taking the time to read/post on an NHL message board during a lockout. You care.

There's nothing wrong with caring.
Of course there is nothing wrong with caring but reading some of these posts makes it look like the end of the world as we know it will happen if a deal isn't struck. I'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:59 PM
ssault
SW BROONS

Who the hell is Steve Burton talking to that he drew that conclusion? Sorry but as much as I'd LOVE to believe it, his report is a complete contradiction to every other bit of evidence out there.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:00 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemlessglass View Post
Of course there is nothing wrong with caring but reading some of these posts makes it look like the end of the world as we know it will happen if a deal isn't struck. I'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't amount to a hill of beans.
What is your grand scheme?

Old
12-03-2012, 06:04 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBruinsGirl View Post

Bueller?
Bueller's friend Cameron did wear a Gordie Howe jersey in the flick....kinda odd youda thought maybe a Bobby Hull or Stan Mikita since the film was based in Chicago

If I wasn't so absorbed in this lockout I'd try and find out why but I have to go turn on the Christmas, err, lockout candles

Closed Thread