HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Referendum starts process (against) Glendale arena deal with Jamison

Old
12-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotaf7 View Post
100% Saskatoon would get better support than the Yote's presently have, and at NHL ticket prices!
Agreed. The whole province crosses the country just to support a CFL team. Hockey would be even more fanatical. Saskatoon would also do well because of all the oil workers close by. It is growing like crazy. Big college town too.

Last edited by Seedling: 12-03-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:29 PM
calmdown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
What happened to the thread about the Glendale Referendum drive? Just asking...
As I comment a few pages ago

But it seems that it is always coming back to "Why should they leave? Where could they go? Why a referendum? Why are Canadians doing that?" All emotive, but when it comes to economical matters, there's no problem... If you leave outside Glendale

So back on referendum matter and as I said before, all depend on how the new pac will be supported by Tea Party, Fire fighters, etc. And over all, "How will Glendale citizens be informed on the consequences of the COG decisions"

calmdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:35 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Agreed. The whole province crosses the country just to support a CFL team. Hockey would be even more fanatical. Saskatoon would also do well because of all the oil workers close by. It is growing like crazy. Big college town too.
They can cross the country for the CFL because it's eight dates a year. To think that can be replicated with a vigorous NHL schedule with weekday dates is insane.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:48 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
What happened to the thread about the Glendale Referendum drive? Just asking...
I made a similar comment two pages ago. All I got was more fan base bashing.... CoG bashing.... market bashing......

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdown View Post
As I comment a few pages ago

But it seems that it is always coming back to "Why should they leave? Where could they go? Why a referendum? Why are Canadians doing that?" All emotive, but when it comes to economical matters, there's no problem... If you leave outside Glendale

So back on referendum matter and as I said before, all depend on how the new pac will be supported by Tea Party, Fire fighters, etc. And over all, "How will Glendale citizens be informed on the consequences of the COG decisions"
Yeah... it'll be interesting to see how things develop this coming week. So far all I've seen is Ken Jones and his new Tea Party pal formed a PAC..... and a former mayoral candidate who got beat badly has jumped on the bandwagon.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:10 PM
NORiculous

Is there a way to know what the count is at?

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:23 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
I made a similar comment two pages ago. All I got was more fan base bashing.... CoG bashing.... market bashing......

Yeah... it'll be interesting to see how things develop this coming week. So far all I've seen is Ken Jones and his new Tea Party pal formed a PAC..... and a former mayoral candidate who got beat badly has jumped on the bandwagon.
Thank you Legend, finally somebody on topic

calmdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:52 PM
JMROWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdown View Post
Colisée Pepsi has been upgraded to NHL last summer and its ready
Even Sid the Kid approved
I was just telling are friend from Glendale who said nobody is ready to take an NHL. team right now & that Hamilton & Quebec City are the only cities that are ready for an NHL. team right now .

JMROWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:37 PM
NORiculous

I have just read that moody's has lowered glendale's rating because of the bad financial decision that have just made of keeping the team by paying money.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...pas-moodys.php

Sorry article is in french.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:45 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

«Glendale est ruinée»

I think I know how that translates

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:48 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
It reminds me of a team a long time ago called the Northstars.
Right, then they left. The market turned around and now they have a second team.

Are you so convinced that once the Coyotes leave this is it no more second chances that you hold onto every shred of false hope?

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:31 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
It's not like an election where they tally the results as they go.

They will collect what they feel are enough valid signatures to qualify the referendum for a public vote and turn them all into the city clerk's office before the 30-day period (from when the ordinance was passed and city clerk recorded the documents) ends.

The signature petitions must be turned by that deadline, or the city clerk will not accept them.

If they are turned in, and accepted by the clerk, then the process of verifying signatures begins. Generally only a random sample of petitions will be checked for valid signatures. If that sample produces a high enough percentage of valid signatures relative to the total number of signatures collected, then the clerk can declare the petition valid and the ordinance would go before a public vote.

However...... any PAC that is registered with the city may request that every signature be validated until enough of them are confirmed valid to meet the requirement. In some cases it could take weeks to do that.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
They can cross the country for the CFL because it's eight dates a year. To think that can be replicated with a vigorous NHL schedule with weekday dates is insane.
The road games would not matter. They would 100% sell out all the home games. I think you underestimate the fanaticism of Sask fans.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:57 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Not to mention that the Green Bay Packers, the counterexample that's most often brought up for a small town supporting a major pro sport's franchise, have the benefit of being in a state that is significantly more densely populated than Saskatchewan and have access to a larger city as a source of fans and media wealth that is much larger than either Saskatoon or Regina.

Comparing Saskatoon and the NHL to Regina and the CFL or Green Bay and the NFL is not at all a valid comparison for your point and mine.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:53 AM
aqib

Its not just getting 15-16K fans per night. You also need to sell over 50 luxury boxes.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:35 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
If the NHL could make hockey work at in Saskatshowan it would be awesome.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:21 AM
pondnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Its not just getting 15-16K fans per night. You also need to sell over 50 luxury boxes.
Like the Yotes do.

pondnorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:03 AM
aj8000

vCash: 3000
Quote:

They will collect what they feel are enough valid signatures to qualify the referendum for a public vote and turn them all into the city clerk's office before the 30-day period (from when the ordinance was passed and city clerk recorded the documents) ends.

The signature petitions must be turned by that deadline, or the city clerk will not accept them.

If they are turned in, and accepted by the clerk, then the process of verifying signatures begins. Generally only a random sample of petitions will be checked for valid signatures. If that sample produces a high enough percentage of valid signatures relative to the total number of signatures collected, then the clerk can declare the petition valid and the ordinance would go before a public vote.

However...... any PAC that is registered with the city may request that every signature be validated until enough of them are confirmed valid to meet the requirement. In some cases it could take weeks to do that.
Would the city be able to sign the lease while in the limbo? Assuming of course that they actually have enough signatures?

aj8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:08 AM
CGG

Quote:

If the latest referendum is any indication, you forgot the one important step where the brash city lawyer instructs the city clerk to automatically reject any petition for a referendum out of spite, then throws a bunch of crap against the wall hoping something will stick, in an effort to justify the rejection.

Following that step, of course, is that the city gets dragged into court and the judge rejects the city's rejection of the referendum petition, scolding the city for trying to obfuscate democratic process with ridiculous arguments as to why the petition should be declared invalid. Then the referendum proceeds.

CGG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:16 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post

Probably ask Ken Jones, he should know. I don't have his phone number though.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:32 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
If the latest referendum is any indication, you forgot the one important step where the brash city lawyer instructs the city clerk to automatically reject any petition for a referendum out of spite, then throws a bunch of crap against the wall hoping something will stick, in an effort to justify the rejection.

Following that step, of course, is that the city gets dragged into court and the judge rejects the city's rejection of the referendum petition, scolding the city for trying to obfuscate democratic process with ridiculous arguments as to why the petition should be declared invalid. Then the referendum proceeds.

I would think Mr. Jones and whomever is helping him would be aware of that and make sure their referendum follows all the criteria.

Despite that... Tindall IS paid to defend the city's position and if that means challenging a referendum based upon failure to comply to every nuance that's required then he is doing his job. Just because his actions don't follow along someone's own agenda doesn't mean anything.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:33 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj8000 View Post
Would the city be able to sign the lease while in the limbo? Assuming of course that they actually have enough signatures?
Not sure... but I would think not.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
Just take a look at places like Phoenix , Florida , Columbus , Atlanta , Nashville , Dallas , Carolina where the NHL. is trying to grow the game with terrible results with only Dallas & Carolina being successful & as for the rest will the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg , The Coyotes are on the verge of relocation , Nashville stable but fragile but if this season is lost do to the lockout they could easly be back in the same spot they where back in 2006 , Florida is on life support unless they start winning soon or
they could be on the move & as for Columbus they will be gone within the next 5 years because no one there cares about the blue jackets in columbus they only care about the Ohio State Buckeyes .

Lets be honest there is not much left for the NHL. to grow the game in the USA. just take a look .

Seattle - Bulid that new arena & the NHL. will come & Seattle would be a huge success
Houston - Could be a Good Hockey market but not intrested in the NHL. right now
Portland - The same as Houston a good hockey market but not intrested right now
Las Vegas - Pretty much the same type of market as Phoenix it simply won't work
Kansas City - 60\40 chance the NHL could work there but they will have to beat the NBA. there because the NBA. is planning to expand after next season & Kansas City is one the front runners to land an NBA. team & KC. right in the middle of basketball country.

Hamilton , Quebec City & Seattle will get NHL. team within 7 years.
There is a difference between saying "The NHL in the Southern U.S., more often than not, is struggling" (which is backed by plenty of evidence), and saying "The NHL's growth in the U.S. has capped, and can not get any larger".

Saying that would require decent historical analysis and plenty of evidence, none of which I see from your post. In fact, the trend in increased television ratings and attendance suggests otherwise.

In addition, in a business where revenue is dominated by attendance, and attendance is dependent on the success of the team, it is foolish to declare a market "capped". Especially if a market has been experiencing consecutive seasons of losing records, which have been shown to adversely affect attendance.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:24 PM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
One, out of the two following will happen prior to the 20 year lease expires.

a) COG will fail to pay one of the yearly payments thus going BK

b) The Coyotes will go BK and Jamison will get rid of them/move them/sell to move them.

One thing I AM SURE OF, we won't see the 20 year period go by and Coyotes still in Arizona.
I think I know what you mean but "thus" is the wrong word choice as default on an AMF payment will not cause Glendale's bankruptcy. However, it is possible to foresee a scenario in which the strain caused by the AMF, jobing.com debt service, Camelback Ranch debt service, and who knows how many other boneheaded projects, lead the city into bankruptcy, causing it to break out of the lease, enabling Jamison to take the Coyotes someplace else.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:09 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
I was just telling are friend from Glendale who said nobody is ready to take an NHL. team right now & that Hamilton & Quebec City are the only cities that are ready for an NHL. team right now .
What about KC?

DyerMaker66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
What about KC?
They have the building for sure. However there doesn't seem to be a prospective owner/group on the horizon. Plus there doesn't appear to any civic will.

Aside from that. They're ready

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote