HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derrick Pouliot | Defenseman | Portland (WHL) | 1st Round, 8th overall

Old
11-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkovsby View Post
i like pouliots skill set..smart, patient, good skater with solid top end speed and agility..pretty good shot and obvious offensive instincts...gonna take some time to be NHL ready because he does have trouble in his own end at the CHL level but hes the type of player that can make the quick outlet and join the rush..which is very nice

hows his strength by the way does anyone have his results from the combine on hand?
He was a non-factor:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=80653

Really just corroborates what you can see on the ice. He needs a lot of work in the strength department.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Sivek

Derrick got the ballyhooed call to WJC camp. He's bringing the s'mores....and sleeping on the bottom bunk, no matter what Dougie says.

EDIT:NOT CONFIRMED INVITE

Last edited by Sivek: 11-28-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Sivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Derrick got the ballyhooed call to WJC camp. He's bringing the s'mores....and sleeping on the bottom bunk, no matter what Dougie says.
I haven't seen any confirmation of that...are you just basing this on the options McKenzie listed in his article today?:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410405

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I haven't seen any confirmation of that...are you just basing this on the options McKenzie listed in his article today?:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410405
The article I read was

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=646445

and now that I use some critical reading ability, it says the camp roster will released Dec.3. I just browsed through it at first and after seeing DP mentioned by name and reading the headline "Hockey Canada announces WJC Selection Camp" thought it meant that he was invited. Jumped the gun a bit.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Karnage420

No shot he makes the junior team. Simply isn't as good today as these other guys.

Karnage420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage420 View Post
No shot he makes the junior team. Simply isn't as good today as these other guys.
That's not true. It's just with Reilly, Ouellet and Murphy his chances become slim since he'd become redundant. I'm sure Canada wants a pretty balanced D-corp especially since their goaltending has been suspect lately in these tournaments.

Hamilton-Reilly
Harrington-Ouellet
Reinhart-Dumba (Siemens)

That's what I'd roll with then have Pouliot, Ceci, Siemens (Dumba) fight for the 7th spot. Pouliot has a good chance, maybe not the best, but to say he's not good enough I can't agree with that.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:55 PM
deakka

You guys think Poulliot will get an invite to the WJC camp? would be nice to see him play some exhibition-games at least.

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:44 PM
deakka

Ok, he got the invite. lets hope he makes the best of it

Old
12-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Jacob

Maybe we should Tonya Harding a few guys ahead of him on the depth chart. I'm just thinkin out loud here.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:04 PM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Maybe we should Tonya Harding a few guys ahead of him on the depth chart. I'm just thinkin out loud here.
This. I dont see how he can do anything to make the team. Murphy and Rielly are ahead of him for sure as far as offensive denesemen go (Hamilton is a lock but hes more all-round). Maybe if TC wants quicker guys seeing its on larger ice surface. But even then i dont see it

Old
12-03-2012, 06:21 PM
malkovsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
This. I dont see how he can do anything to make the team. Murphy and Rielly are ahead of him for sure as far as offensive denesemen go (Hamilton is a lock but hes more all-round). Maybe if TC wants quicker guys seeing its on larger ice surface. But even then i dont see it
is murphys skillset that much better than pouliots

malkovsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I wonder if Tonya and Nancy are BFFs now. I'll ask my wife if she's seen any awesome Tonya-Nancy Lifetime movies. "The Nancy and Tonya Story: Affairs After the Spotlight... a lifetime original."

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:07 PM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkovsby View Post
is murphys skillset that much better than pouliots
Hes more proven at the national level. And i think his coach in juniors are also the coach for team canada? (archibald situation someone?)

Old
12-04-2012, 10:08 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

I'm very happy to see that Pouliot made the cut of invites. You can't count him out just yet. Anything can happen and Harrington was very much in a similar position last time. Even if he doesn't end up making the team, the experience alone will be beneficial for his development. Well deserved and I hope he makes it regardless of the odds.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:06 PM
JTG

Yeah, Harrington was written off almost immediately. He not only proceeded to make the team, but was one of the best defensemen on the ice.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Sivek

Well, well, well, now that it looks like the NHL might actually play games this year, that means a high chance of Hamilton being on the Bruins, thus missing out of the WJC's.

So with Hamilton and Murray gone, the dominoes are starting to fall in DP's favor. Next there will be a murder/mystery that involves at least 2 of the other candidates (Harrington excluded), then one player will develop a case of gigantism and another will be cut for refusing to shave his sideburns and before you know it DP will be playing first pairing minutes with Harrington.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:51 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Well, well, well, now that it looks like the NHL might actually play games this year, that means a high chance of Hamilton being on the Bruins, thus missing out of the WJC's.

So with Hamilton and Murray gone, the dominoes are starting to fall in DP's favor. Next there will be a murder/mystery that involves at least 2 of the other candidates (Harrington excluded), then one player will develop a case of gigantism and another will be cut for refusing to shave his sideburns and before you know it DP will be playing first pairing minutes with Harrington.

Fingers crossed... I hope you're right

Old
12-09-2012, 11:09 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Pouliot had 3 pts tonight (1 goal & 2 assists) and was also named 2nd star. Now up to 32 points in 31 games. He also had 7 PIMs since he got into a fight. Feisty little fella (LOL).

Hope he keeps it up so he can bring the hot hand into Team Canada's WJC camp.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:06 PM
RayPayys

Pouliot released tonight on first round of WJC cuts, unfortunately

RayPayys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPayys View Post
Pouliot released tonight on first round of WJC cuts, unfortunately
Lets all have a breakdown, together.

Anyway, I am told we can always just trade Pouliot for Tarasenko v.2, so there's no trouble.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Jaded-Fan

Not much of a fight but Pouliot punched his dance card in a game a few days ago:

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:15 AM
limite*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

Anyway, I am told we can always just trade Pouliot for Tarasenko v.2, so there's no trouble.
Your attempt at sarcasm doesn't change reality. Pouliot has done absolutely nothing in his career to make him look like a top 10 pick. Absolutely nothing. Most top players dominate in their post draft year because they are a year older playing against even younger opposition. Not Pouliot.

The amount of rationalization about Pouliot is ridiculous. You can only judge a player by what he is doing right now. In Pouliot's case, he looks like an ok #25 pick but a lousy #8 pick. People would be creaming about Gregorenko high point total if the Pens had drafted him. Faced with reality, the denial on this board is laughable. "You can't judge a player for 4 years" is the big excuse for Pouliot's so-so performance. That's true. That's why you can only judge him by what he is going right now since no one is can read the future very precisely. Otherwise, you might as well draft by throwing darts at a board. When the best you can say about a small offensive defenseman is that he gets into fights, you know you are in trouble.

limite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

Or they could just hold onto a unique talent like DP and let BB and Tangradi develop, instead of worrying about what certain crybaby fans who don't even watch these kids play, think.

Probably a good idea.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by limite View Post
Your attempt at sarcasm doesn't change reality. Pouliot has done absolutely nothing in his career to make him look like a top 10 pick. Absolutely nothing. Most top players dominate in their post draft year because they are a year older playing against even younger opposition. Not Pouliot.

The amount of rationalization about Pouliot is ridiculous. You can only judge a player by what he is doing right now. In Pouliot's case, he looks like an ok #25 pick but a lousy #8 pick. People would be creaming about Gregorenko high point total if the Pens had drafted him. Faced with reality, the denial on this board is laughable. "You can't judge a player for 4 years" is the big excuse for Pouliot's so-so performance. That's true. That's why you can only judge him by what he is going right now since no one is can read the future very precisely. Otherwise, you might as well draft by throwing darts at a board. When the best you can say about a small offensive defenseman is that he gets into fights, you know you are in trouble.
I present example A.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by limite View Post
Your attempt at sarcasm doesn't change reality. Pouliot has done absolutely nothing in his career to make him look like a top 10 pick.
OK .

I would say, however, that in this case, maybe your interpretation of what I wanted with my post was wrong...
Well, not maybe.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote