HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Where do you see the Sens in 5 years?

Old
12-03-2012, 03:46 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

vCash: 500
Sitting on four Cups in a row and mooning rival cities.

dennilfloss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
1) Where do you see the Sens in 5 years?

Scotiabank Place

2) What do you think the will the roster be in 5 years?

Hockey players

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

vCash: 50
Doin yer'... kid?

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Doin yer'... kid?
This makes you sound like a pedophile.

Where will OttoMan be in 5 years?

Jail

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:25 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post

Jail
Maybe he is AT

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:38 PM
SenzZen
Do it for Alfie!

Quote:

Jail

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Nope, we build from within and obviously none of these are gonna be accurate anyways. Are you gonna complain to someone who tried to predict our current roster 5 years ago because they didn't have Gonchar or Zibanejad on it?
I just tire of the way that people naively pencil in such an unrealistic number of prospects to make the roster together. They can't all make it and every team has prospects to be excited about just like us.

Some people honestly have Puempel, Noesen, Ceci, Zibby, Stone, Silf, Weir, Boro, Petersson, Prince, Hoffman, Da Costa, Pageau, Grant, Claesson, Kramer, Drieger, Lehner, and Bishop all earmarked to make a team that MAYBE has space for two rookies each year...

Even if we wrote off free agents entirely and added three of these guys to the roster each year...we would still have drafted another 42 PROSPECTS for them to compete against by the time we got them all on the ice.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
I just tire of the way that people naively pencil in such an unrealistic number of prospects to make the roster together. They can't all make it and every team has prospects to be excited about just like us.

Some people honestly have Puempel, Noesen, Ceci, Zibby, Stone, Silf, Weir, Boro, Petersson, Prince, Hoffman, Da Costa, Pageau, Grant, Claesson, Kramer, Drieger, Lehner, and Bishop all earmarked to make a team that MAYBE has space for two rookies each year...

Even if we wrote off free agents entirely and added three of these guys to the roster each year...we would still have drafted another 42 PROSPECTS for them to compete against by the time we got them all on the ice.
Agreed.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:59 PM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post

We don't have a single bluechip can't miss offensive prospect. Murray really needs to win a trade like the Anderson trade for a forward in my opinion. Turris is not there yet and besides Spezza, we have no elite forwards.

Also, many of the best teams are young teams and will still rule the roost in 5 years. Besides the Canucks and Wings, how many other top tier teams are on the downswing? Look at the east, last year, who is getting worse; I don't see a single team that needs to consider rebuilding over the next 5 years...maybe the Caps if they continue their playoff struggles but their talent level is still off the charts.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Dionysus

Competitive playoff team.

Noesen-Turris-Silfverberg
Zibanejad-Spezza-Stone
Smith-Da Costa-Michalek
Greening-JOB-Dzurzinski

Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Wickstrand-Claesson

Lehner
Dreiger

Check back in 5 years I guess!

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

We should be getting better each yr with paul maclean here. If something goes wrong with him then we could be in trouble. As long as Tim Murray is around(hopefully and probably thenext gm) i am confident.
I think ican safely predict top third in the league.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:53 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Our depth is set for years to come with elite blossoming third/4th liners in Greening, O'Brien, Smith. Neil still has a solid 3 years left in him at least, imo.

We have solid 1-2 elite skilled center punch in Spezza and Turris(Who's only gettin better), rising potential elite wingers in Silfverberg, Stone, Zibanejad, Puempel, Noesen. We just need a couple to pan out and we'd be unbelievably successful. We already have a solid top 6 winger in Michalek. Our defense and goaltending looks well suited for the long-run with guys like Karlsson, Cowen, Methot, Ceci, Wiercioch. Possible players could be Claesson and Wikstrand. Then a goalie who could be one of the best in the NHL in Lehner.

We are not that far off from our current roster from making a deep playoff run let alone in 5 years.

Something key is as Icelevel indicated, the players bought in heavily in the MacLean system last year in just his first year, over the course of 2-3 more years they should be more acquainted with it and it'll help us with the grind and mindset of an 82 game season and playoffs.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:00 PM
enviro61

Odd that goaltending could be a strength position for the Sens from which we can deal to land another top 6 player. Lehner is my favourite prospect and has shown time and again when he is called up that he can deliver. If given the chance I could see him taking the #1 role and Anderson's stock has to be pretty damn high after last year. I think Anderson deserves to be a starter somewhere, I just hope it isn't with the Sens because Lehner has beat him out for the starting position.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:57 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
Odd that goaltending could be a strength position for the Sens from which we can deal to land another top 6 player. Lehner is my favourite prospect and has shown time and again when he is called up that he can deliver. If given the chance I could see him taking the #1 role and Anderson's stock has to be pretty damn high after last year. I think Anderson deserves to be a starter somewhere, I just hope it isn't with the Sens because Lehner has beat him out for the starting position.
I don't see Anderson getting traded very soon. I think the Murray's will offer him a 2-3 years contract extension. Unless Andy want to test the free agent market..

I have no problem seeing Lehner being a backup for the next 3 years and Anderson becoming the backup in the 4th year.

Lehner still has lots to learn about being an NHL goalie and Andy can mentor him.

Just like Phillips & Gonchar are doing with EK & Cowen. Alfie & Spezza with our forward prospects.

We should be a top 5 team in the conference for many years.

There will be so many good teams in the future, I can't see more than 10 pts between the first and the 8th seed in the East. A 4, 5 game slump or a couple of injury to key players will send a team in the bottom half of the Conference. Parity has arrived.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Nac Mac Feegle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
You do realize we are talking about 5 YEARS from now. Stone will be 25. Noesen will be 24. If those guys aren't in the NHL or sniffing the NHL by then they're probably busts.

Lehner is already looking like a capable NHL starter NOW and you don't think he'd be a true #1 in 5 years? If he isn't then I'm afraid Lehner didn't pan out. I expect Lehner to take the reigns fully in 2-3 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he is already getting a boatload of games next year if he continues his AHL tear.

Karlsson signed a 7 year deal. He is our franchise defender. You don't trade away franchise defenders, no matter what the financial reasons.
I don't see Stone making it full time into the NHL unless this CBA slows the game down. He'll be a helluva scorer in Bingo, but not in Ottawa. He still doesn't have NHL feet, and I doubt he'll get there.

Noesen, I kinda doubt he'll be a full timer on this team. More of a hunch at this point. I see him as good trade bait.

Lehner will be a #1 the same way Anderson is now. A guy who gets the majority of the games and gets decent stats, but we'll be looking for the "next one".

Ottawa is a small market team. Even if a new CBA claws back salaries by 20% and they widen the gap between salary floor and ceiling, chances are the salary floor in 5 years will be roughly where it is right now. We need to make the second round of the playoffs right now to break even at the cap floor. In 5 years we'll be in the 2nd (or in Turris case 4th) contract of our core young guys. How do we pay them and keep Karlsson? Who is the most attractive piece to move for salary and get a few big picks/prospects in return? Look, I don't want to lose Karlsson either, but I'm just being realistic.

And let's not forget, if this team improves, even slightly, that puts us out of top 10 picks for the next few years. Yes, we'll still get decent prospects, but not the studs this lineup would need to be a top contender.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

Where do you see the Sens in 5 years?

In Toronto as a 2nd team in their market!

Only problem is the Leafs will then want a team too!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:45 AM
tony d
The man

I think they'll be a middle of the pack team. Might not win the Cup but they should make the playoffs every year.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:05 AM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
In Toronto as a 2nd team in their market!

Only problem is the Leafs will then want a team too!
Well since Rogers/Bell now own the Leafs you could always see MLSE buy up the naming rights to our arena to make this semi-true.

Toronto Maple Leafs Place - home of the Ottawa Senators.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:36 AM
General Granny*

Here is my crap shoot

Monohan- Spezza- Free Agent/ Trade
Silfverberg- Turris- Noesen
Prince- Smith- Stone
DD- Free Agent- Kramer

Karlsson- Free Agent/ Trade
Cowen- Ceci
Virkstrand- Weircioch
Borocop

Lehner
Dreider

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 03:56 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

In 5 Years or Less

Silfverberg - Spezza - Zibanejad
Puemple - Turris - Stone
Greening - Grant - Noesen
Dzuirzynski - Z. Smith - Tom Wilson/JOB

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Ceci
Nurse - Sustr/Sdao

Lehner - Driedger/Brassard

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:45 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Quote:
1) Where do you see the Sens in 5 years?

Scotiabank Place

2) What do you think the will the roster be in 5 years?

Hockey players
I disagree. The roster will be composed of professional hockey players, not just any old hockey player.

12-04-2012, 06:45 PM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Maybe he is AT
no, i am AT.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:12 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATdaisuki View Post
no, i am AT.
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool, hahahahahahaha. This guy kills me.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 09:21 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Zibanejad - Spezza - Trade
Silfverberg - Turris - Stone
Greening - Smith - Noesen
O'Brien/Pageau/Grant/Kramer/ect...

Trade - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Wiercioch - Claesson
Borowiecki

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:15 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
Zibanejad - Spezza - Trade
Silfverberg - Turris - Stone
Greening - Smith - Noesen
O'Brien/Pageau/Grant/Kramer/ect...

Trade - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Wiercioch - Claesson
Borowiecki
No Michalek? No Methot? Cowen as 2nd pairing only?

I would insert couple of 1st round picks instead of "Trade"... we will have 5 more 1st round picks in those five years. Surely the 2013 and 2014 should be NHL ready by then.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote