HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Corrado is a sleeper imo, not seeing too many people putting him on their lists but his play will surprise.

FWIW:
Quote:
@camcharron
Hockey Canada head scout Kevin Pendergast on Frank Corrado: "He fit the bill for us being a defensive type of player" Calls him "gritty".

Old
12-03-2012, 05:56 PM
scout97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUNCE View Post
Not just the most skilled, most experienced and played against the highest level of competition out of any player on that team. RNH SHOULD BE CAPTAIN!
I agree RHN should be captain. He's the guy that everyone on the team will look up too. He's bringing NHL experience back with him and he will be the first player the coach will look upon to play in those important situations. He should be the #1 canadite for captain.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:58 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Corrado is a sleeper imo, not seeing too many people putting him on their lists but his play will surprise everyone.

FWIW:
Meh, I wouldn't bet on it.

Reinhart, Harrington and Ouellet are definitely ahead of him for defensively minded guys.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:58 PM
jfb392

Another reason why Subban is the favorite to start over Binnington right now is his familiarity with the big ice.
The Bulls play on international sized ice, so nearly half of Subban's OHL games have been played on it and he constantly practices on it.

He's also money in the shootout.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Meh, I wouldn't bet on it.

Reinhart, Harrington and Ouellet are definitely ahead of him for defensively minded guys.
Meh, I guess we have differing opinions then.

I guess its a good thing that being defensive minded isn't the only thing that Corrado has in in him. This year he has also been putting up the points while still being defensive minded. Being a 2 way dman surely helps.

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 12-03-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old
12-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Anchor Town

There's pretty much only one defensive spot open at this point,

Hamilton
Harrington
Ouellet
Rielly
Murphy
Reinhart

Are all pretty much locks

Old
12-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Er... WHL Report: Tigers sniper an optimist

If he's not still "injured", he's certainly "recovering".
He played yesterday.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:09 PM
scout97

Subban and binnington are both very good goalies. But what gives sub an the edge is his charecter. He's extremely calm in net and he never cracks under pressure. He is confident in every situation rather up 3 goals, down 3 goals, or tied in the gold medal game. His team feels comfertable knowing that they have a goalie who is confident he will Stop the puck.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:11 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
To play devils advocate, Huberdeau had a higher PPG than Nugent-Hopkins in their draft year, and last year had 9 points in 6 games at this tournament. You can't fault Huberdeau for not being in the NHL last season, it wasn't his choice. (Merely playing devils advocate I would have taken RNH 1st overall).
Hopkins was close to a ppg player in the nhl.

Lets get real for a second.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:12 PM
onice

What I would like to see

Scheifele RNH Strome
Huberdeau MacKinnon Droiun (spells hell for the opposition)
Hudon Jenner Rattie
Wilson Danault Catenacci
Monahan

Hamilton Reinhart
Rielly Harrington
Murphy Ouellet
Dumba

Subban
Binnington
Brossoit

The first line will start off as the go to line. The second line I don't see them being together or some of them not making the team because of stupid policies but if they're together they will destroy the opposition. They will be the best line at the Championship.

The third line should be the swiss knife line. They can provide a bit of everything: offense, defense, energy.

The fourth line should an excellent defensive shut down, smash mouth line. Tom Wilson really impressed me in the SSS. If he can play on the edge and not go overboard, he'll open some eyes.

The defense well you take 4 off and replace them with 4others from the cut and you would still have a great defense corps.

Subban will take the starting position but the other two are capable replacements if he falters. But with that defense I have trouble seeing any goalie falter.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Im guessing if it were not a lockout year (so many extra good players) Myles Bell would have gotten at least an invite (unless his personal problems were the issue).

Old
12-03-2012, 06:15 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyhouse View Post
Im guessing if it were not a lockout year (so many extra good players) Myles Bell would have gotten at least an invite (unless his personal problems were the issue).
Doubtful. He is anathema.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:22 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Meh, I guess we have differing opinions then.

I guess its a good thing that being defensive minded isn't the only thing that Corrado has in in him. This year he has also been putting up the points while still being defensive minded.
As far as offensive talent goes on the selection camp roster, Corrado is right at the bottom with Wotherspoon and Harrington. Wotherspoon is a longshot to make the team and Harrington is easily Canada's best defensive defenseman.

Corrado, like Wotherspoon, is a long shot to make the team. He's a decent prospect, but no one who has watched him play would put him on the same level as any defenseman on the selection camp roster other than Wotherspoon.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:24 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petter Granberg View Post
Murphy has never been on the team before. He's been cut two years in a row. He did however play for the team in the summer against Russia.

As for my pre-camp lineup, I will go with:

Huberdeau-RNH-MacKinnon
Hudon-Strome-Schiefele
Monahan-Jenner-Wilson
McNeill-Danault-Ritchie
Rattie

Rielly-Hamilton
Ouellet-Harrington
Pelech-Murphy
Reinhart

Subban
Binnington
Brossoit
Smart man...

Old
12-03-2012, 06:26 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Corrado is a sleeper imo, not seeing too many people putting him on their lists but his play will surprise.

FWIW:
Pelech's hockey sense and positioning win over here IMO.

Kid is putting up nice offensive numbers too, and on a crummy team at that.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
As far as offensive talent goes on the selection camp roster, Corrado is right at the bottom with Wotherspoon and Harrington. Wotherspoon is a longshot to make the team and Harrington is easily Canada's best defensive defenseman.

Corrado, like Wotherspoon, is a long shot to make the team. He's a decent prospect, but no one who has watched him play would put him on the same level as any defenseman on the selection camp roster other than Wotherspoon.
I guess thats why I've been saying: "Corrado is a sleeper imo" & that he is a dark horse pick.

I'm not saying he is a shoe in I'm saying his play will surprise a lot of people & he could make the team because of his 2 way play.

Its not like Corrado is playing on a good team either, they are 8th out of 10 in their conference. He also played in/vs Russia this Summer at the "WORLD JUNIOR CLUB CUP".

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 12-03-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old
12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
Considering Huberdeau was Captain in the summer series I'd put him as favourite for wearing the 'C'.

Don't sleep on Boone Jenner for captain. In fact, he'd be my #1 choice. Wears the 'C' in Oshawa. One of the top players in the best Junior league in the country. Scores, hits, great on faceoffs, off ice leader. Leads the OHL in goals. Returning player. I could see Boone getting the 'C' easily. But I'm sure a lot will be determined at camp and who steps up as a leader.

RNH will be the most talented player on the team, but that doesn't automatically make him a captain. He'll likely wear an 'A' but the 'C' will go to someone who has been through this tournament before. Can't believe people actually believe the most skilled player is automatically the captain.
He's also the most experienced player on the team. He'd have played in the tournament last year if he wasn't busy being a a first line centre in the NHL. He has already played in the big boy World Championships and has spent the last two months playing against men in the AHL.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter who the captain is but RNH has at least as good an argument for it as Huberdeau does.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:39 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
I guess thats why I've been saying: "Corrado is a sleeper imo" & that he is a dark horse pick.

I'm not saying he is a shoe in I'm saying his play will surprise a lot of people & he could make the team because of his 2 way play.

Its not like Corrado is playing on a good team either, they are 8th out of 10 in their conference. He also played in/vs Russia this Summer at the "WORLD JUNIOR CLUB CUP".
And I'm saying don't bet on it.

Corrado is as close to a fringe player as you can get on the selection camp roster.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
And I'm saying don't bet on it.

Corrado is as close to a fringe player as you can get on the selection camp roster.
And I'm not .....

Why is he a fringe player in your opinion? Please don't just say "so & so is better then him defensively"... IF they are in fact better please show some proof that they are in fact better.

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 12-03-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old
12-03-2012, 06:51 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout97 View Post
I agree RHN should be captain. He's the guy that everyone on the team will look up too. He's bringing NHL experience back with him and he will be the first player the coach will look upon to play in those important situations. He should be the #1 canadite for captain.
That's actually the reason why Jenner should be captain actually. The kid isn't the most talented, but he plays with so much heart that he compensates for being less skilled. These are the kind of players HC love. and it's not like Jenner wasn't a talented player. (My choice is still Huberdeau though)

Old
12-03-2012, 07:01 PM
AlexG19

what do you think about this lineup:
Subban
Binnington

Hamilton-Harrington
Rieilly-Reinhart
Dumba-Murphy
Ouellet

Strome-RNH-Scheifele
Huberdeau-Mackinnon-Drouin
Danault-Monahan-Rattie
Jenner-McNeill Wilson
Hudon or Lipon

Old
12-03-2012, 07:02 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
And I'm not .....

Why is he a fringe player in your opinion? Please don't just say "so & so is better then him defensively"... show some proof of that.
If you want stats and numbers, you're barking up the wrong tree. My opinion is made up from the handful of times I've seen these guys play. Corrado is a good prospect, but gets overhyped quite a bit(mainly by those only reading a stat line, I would assume).

Offensively I'd have him ahead of Wotherspoon and Harrington(who is superior defensively) and only clearly ahead of a couple of superior offensive players in Murphy and Pouliot defensively.

There's seven other guys that I would say have a better combination of offense/defense than Corrado.

That's why I'd call him a fringe player.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Lehner

Rnh is quiet supposedly, imo u dont want him C.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:

I don't really get why playing on a bad team is more favourable. Usually you'd put the adventage on players on a good team becuase what they do is successful. Playing well on a bad team just means he's not good enough to make a difference.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Statsy

As a Canucks fan, I would love to see Corrado make the team. Unfortunately, as others have pointed out already, there are just too many supremely talented guys ahead of him at this camp. Maybe we could put him on that Canada "B" team we're always talking about.

Closed Thread