HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Thread #3: The Rollercoaster Continues...

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
December 15-31st,2012 6 19.35%
January 2013 13 41.94%
September 2013 6 19.35%
October 2013-December 2013 2 6.45%
January 2014 0 0%
September 2014 0 0%
October 2014-January 2015 0 0%
NHL is gone forever 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 07:21 PM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I'm not sure if this is bs or not they also tweeted
@wbzsports: WBZ's Steve Burton reports #nhl talks have made great progress behind closed doors and it looks like the season will be salvaged - @JoeGiza

I'm thinking bs at this point
Ya.

I'm not sure how they would manage to solve the economic hurdle that quickly and silently if it takes a week to organize the rules behind a meeting between owners and players.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:21 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

There are no "behind the scenes" talks going on. How silly.

Gotta love the eight hundred Steve Burton jokes that popped up on my twitter stream in the last twenty minutes though.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:41 PM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
There are no "behind the scenes" talks going on. How silly.

Gotta love the eight hundred Steve Burton jokes that popped up on my twitter stream in the last twenty minutes though.
I thought as much i don't think the guys just trolling us though he is apparently on the radio in boston but with none of the other guys, who have provided all lockout info since day one, mentioning it i have to think its bs but man i wish he was right

Old
12-03-2012, 08:33 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

I don't believe Burton is correct at all, because I have no faith that either side is done posturing for the media yet.

But if by some miracle he is, then the NHL and PA should immediately remove Bettman and D Fehr. If all it took was getting them out of the picture for a few days then neither party truly has the best interests of the game at heart.

Last edited by s7ark: 12-03-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: miskeyed.
Old
12-03-2012, 09:20 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

If he's a legit reporter why would he post something like that without something more substantial?

Maybe the account was hacked.

Or he's right with Jacobs and Jacobs told him.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

He said it on air, he doesn't have twitter...

Old
12-03-2012, 09:43 PM
#ualberta

Alot of people saying he is well sourced, he also broke the phil kessel cancer story, but still hard to believe

Old
12-03-2012, 09:53 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Both sides have media mouthpieces. TSN has been up the ass of this fiasco from the start. If they were talking, even by phone, we would know what they were talking about, when, and if they plan to meet within hours of that conversation.

If Steve Burton is trying to say that "serious" bargaining has occured, in secret, days after both sides broke apart from a federal mediator and blustering about not being close.... I'm not buying it or him.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Skm

Timing does seem really odd, so does the lack of refuting this from more well-known hockey media members...

Old
12-03-2012, 10:53 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
The only way this makes sense is if they have sorted out an agreement, but want to make the owners & players look like the heroes for saving the season just before Christmas so fans come back cheering their names instead of griping how they are greedy jerkholes.

At the end of the day, no one cares how much Bettman and Fehr are hated as it doesn't affect business. So if they walk away as the scapegoats and villains 100% responsible for the lockout, then they don't care. They still get paid.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:27 PM
bellagiobob

More from Burton.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/12/0...g-nhl-lockout/

Old
12-03-2012, 11:27 PM
AK Dandyman

Could it play out as I have said about Fehr trying to come out winner for himself and only himself?

Players go make a deal with owners. Fehr will take credit of himself setting the players up with all the previous bargaining/proposals he's done to get as much out of the owner for the best deal the players could get, and still able to salvage a partial season.

Players can't make a deal with the owners. Fehr can say, "See!? I told you! The owners wanted to kill us off with this deal and you(players) wouldn't take the deal either. Don't blame me on losing a season."

It's actually good to have the hardliners on both sides present at the meeting. You don't want a bunch of light weights in there agreeing on something only to have the heavy hitters dissatisfy and block the deal. Even if they make no deal, at least it allows the players and owners to clearly know where each others stand without the distrusted Fehr & Bettman acting in between them.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:29 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

A deal is a deal... **** the "optics" at this point as we all know there are plenty of greedy *******s on both sides but if this rumour is true then I'm looking forward to seeing the big 5 in action in Oilers silks by Christmas. Nice Christmas present for us all.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:32 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
Interesting, doesn't seem to be backing down after all the denials.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Going to be a looooooooong 36-48 hours ....

Old
12-03-2012, 11:42 PM
#ualberta

Here's Steve Burton on tv
Hmm, i'm kinda sorta starting to believe him a little i mean could he really be bsing the world like that he must actually have sources telling him this i hear he has good sources and is a respected reporter, maybe I'm just really missing hockey and that's causing me to want to believe him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=B7r82AyeFs4

Also, daly apparently denied the report as well as player sources meanwhile lebrun, dreger, Mckenzie, ward etc have been real quiet about the story which caused a slight twitter explosion

Last edited by 402: 12-03-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old
12-03-2012, 11:56 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

the fact that McKenzie or any other "insider" haven't refuted this yet could mean something

but then again, they may in the process of looking for way to shoot this down

Old
12-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Steve Burton?

I've now heard of somebody I've never heard of before and doubt that I ever would've.

Given the media proles intent for attaining name recognition this is win win. Dead right and you're a connected guru. Dead wrong and nobody remembers you until the next idiotic pronouncement. In anycase increasing one's name fame. Even with infamy.

The world of sports journalism. No expectations and virtually no credibility or solid reputation required. A job description where being a trolling jackass probably serves readership.

When in doubt, and without a story, just stir one.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

^
The thing is, he's already the biggest sports name in Boston.
He doesn't need a "home run"

Old
12-04-2012, 12:08 AM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 355
Burton broke news about Kessel and Thomas wanting to take the year off as well.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:15 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
the fact that McKenzie or any other "insider" haven't refuted this yet could mean something

but then again, they may in the process of looking for way to shoot this down
It will mean something when the nhl makes an announcement that a deal has been reached.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:16 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Steve Burton?

I've now heard of somebody I've never heard of before and doubt that I ever would've.

Given the media proles intent for attaining name recognition this is win win. Dead right and you're a connected guru. Dead wrong and nobody remembers you until the next idiotic pronouncement. In anycase increasing one's name fame. Even with infamy.

The world of sports journalism. No expectations and virtually no credibility or solid reputation required. A job description where being a trolling jackass probably serves readership.

FWIW, this guy first broke the Kessel having cancer and Tim Thomas taking a year off stories and is apparently a really respected reporter so i wouldn't dismiss him so easily.

I'm not terribly optimistic about his report but it makes you wonder why such a well respected guy would put his reputation on the line like that. Then again. Nobody cares about the NHL in the states so would anybody notice if he was wrong?

Old
12-04-2012, 12:40 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
FWIW, this guy first broke the Kessel having cancer and Tim Thomas taking a year off stories and is apparently a really respected reporter so i wouldn't dismiss him so easily.

I'm not terribly optimistic about his report but it makes you wonder why such a well respected guy would put his reputation on the line like that. Then again. Nobody cares about the NHL in the states so would anybody notice if he was wrong?
I would expect he'd have the lead on any Boston stories, but I doubt he's well connected with the owners or any reps from either side that they'd leak it to him over Dreger or Bob Mac.

Its like if Gene broke this story. Yeah he might know what's going around with the Oilers, but I don't see him as an insider like the TSN guys.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Steve Burton?

Damian Cox comes to mind. What a buffoon.

Old
12-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I would expect he'd have the lead on any Boston stories, but I doubt he's well connected with the owners or any reps from either side that they'd leak it to him over Dreger or Bob Mac.

Its like if Gene broke this story. Yeah he might know what's going around with the Oilers, but I don't see him as an insider like the TSN guys.
Well, if there's one owner that might know more than other owners it would be Boston's own Jeremy Jacobs.

Closed Thread