HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reilly in, Percy out for WJC tryouts

Old
12-03-2012, 05:38 PM
dubey
So hot right now

vCash: 500
Percy would have had no shot had he been invited

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

The guys that got invited are on another level talent wise than Percy. Sucks though.

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:00 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

in the subway series i was watching for percy and finally started seeing him in the 2nd and 3rd when i was keeing in on him more, he was invisible (and as a D this is a good thing). imo not enough flash for this D. Rielly will be good, this might be where Rielly gets the hodgson effect and everyone on hf goes go go ga ga over him (even more than people are doing now). id also like to add Percy probably would have gotten an invite with the NHL.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 06:33 PM
WTFMAN99

I was kind of hoping Finn would of gotten an invite, it's okay though as many have said it is a deep group of talent this year.

WTFMAN99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:03 PM
mapleleaf979

I know its not part of his game but Stuart Percy is extremely soft, resulting in lost puck battles. Sometimes Ive noticed Percy disengages from the play. I also feel Percy has very average skating ability, speedy forwards can really expose him and he doesnt seem to be able turn his hips fast when beatin to try and catch the player. If any of the Dmen get injured, Im pretty sure u would see Matt Finn selected before Percy. Im not impressed with Percy at all. He does everything very average. I think Burke blew it with this pick. They fell in love with him at the memorial cup and his +50. He got praise at the AHl level last year but I thought he looked lost and out of his league. For small stretches he looked fine, but not most of the time.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Because Percy is not at the level of any of the defensemen invited, IMO. I'm more in awe of why Ryan Pulock wasn't invited..
Ryan Pulock is hurt at present, to what extent I'm not sure but it was likely a factor here.

Quote:
Pulock has missed the past five games with an upper body injury and skated in a no-contact jersey at practice Friday

12-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Eb
TML

How high is Pulock supposed to go?

Eb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
How high is Pulock supposed to go?
2nd dman drafted after Seth Jones and anywhere from #5-10 overall.

Comparison stats wise Ryan Pulock 24 games 9 goals 16 assists 25 points verses Morgan Rielly 30 games 6 goals 20 assists 26 points..

Rielly is #2 in Dman scoring in WHL and Pulock is #3 (despite missing 6 games to injury this year).

http://www.whl.ca/stats/show/type/to.../242/subtype/1

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

Thats explains Pulock.

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Raging Bull

Biggs and Sparks named to the preliminary roster for the USA.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:51 AM
headwire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
I was kind of hoping Finn would of gotten an invite, it's okay though as many have said it is a deep group of talent this year.
Matt Finn recently missed a bunch of games with mono. However, I don't know enough about how well Finn stacks up against the other D that were invited to know whether or not this affected his potential tryout for Team Canada.

headwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 12:33 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I know its not part of his game but Stuart Percy is extremely soft, resulting in lost puck battles. Sometimes Ive noticed Percy disengages from the play. I also feel Percy has very average skating ability, speedy forwards can really expose him and he doesnt seem to be able turn his hips fast when beatin to try and catch the player. If any of the Dmen get injured, Im pretty sure u would see Matt Finn selected before Percy. Im not impressed with Percy at all. He does everything very average. I think Burke blew it with this pick. They fell in love with him at the memorial cup and his +50. He got praise at the AHl level last year but I thought he looked lost and out of his league. For small stretches he looked fine, but not most of the time.

You couldn't be more Right, I've watched him closely because he's a great Kid but he just doesn't cut it as a NHL D-Man. The Leafs inept scouting staff and their completely out of touch GM just don't get it. The Leafs will never catch teams like Pittsburgh and Detroit who have two 2nd rd picks trying out for the team, in Harrington and Sproul. It's so obvious that Morrison is in over his head. Central Scouting had him rated 53 I think and the Leafs took him in the 1st, it's obvious who had it right.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:22 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by headwire View Post
Matt Finn recently missed a bunch of games with mono. However, I don't know enough about how well Finn stacks up against the other D that were invited to know whether or not this affected his potential tryout for Team Canada.
I think Finn will get invited next year, assuming he keeps up this level of play.

He's a captain, good leader, puts up points, and is steady. I think sometimes we forget just hwo difficult it is to make the WJ team as an underager. There are a TON of good players who werent even invited to canadas WJ camp in the NHL, and some players who were stars at the WJHC and it didn't translate.

For example, a guy like Percy... would probably make every other roster in the WJ's based on his skill... but doesn't even get invited to Canada's camp. Its not an easy feat... and doesn't mean the sky is falling, like Chicken Little ^^ suggests.

topched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:24 PM
lordsithis

If there's no season this year, how are the Leafs chances at nabbing the #1-#3 pick in the first round?

lordsithis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:25 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
Thats explains Pulock.
Also Brandon is worse then Moose Jaw, so it's not like Pulock has any advantages over Rielly.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsithis View Post
If there's no season this year, how are the Leafs chances at nabbing the #1-#3 pick in the first round?
It becomes a lottery.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:33 PM
headwire

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I think Finn will get invited next year, assuming he keeps up this level of play.

He's a captain, good leader, puts up points, and is steady. I think sometimes we forget just hwo difficult it is to make the WJ team as an underager. There are a TON of good players who werent even invited to canadas WJ camp in the NHL, and some players who were stars at the WJHC and it didn't translate.

For example, a guy like Percy... would probably make every other roster in the WJ's based on his skill... but doesn't even get invited to Canada's camp. Its not an easy feat... and doesn't mean the sky is falling, like Chicken Little ^^ suggests.
I'm excited to see Finn as a leader on the 2014 WJC team. From what I've read, he's been performing very well this year. Another year in junior, plus a good run at the WJC, plus a year or two in the AHL could net us a quality D-man. Not to say that this is the only formula that will work for Finn, but it seems like a decent development path.

headwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 07:29 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Way too much depth for Percy this year.

Griffin Reinhart could be on 3rd line duty. That's kinda crazy. No Ceci despite a great year so far. Too hard to crack

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:08 PM
ToneBone03
Heavy Metal Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post

This.

When I first looked at the WJC invite list I was hoping to see Finn there, but my first thought was "He'll definitely be there next year", at least on a tryout level. Guy is SO underrated.

Also, I'm very happy to see Biggs and Sparks invited to the US WJC camp. Both are having excellent years and Biggs is finally showing signs of why he was a first rounder in 2011. Rooting for them big time!

ToneBone03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

As good as Percy is/has been, he should definitely not have gotten invitation. The talent level on D-core is just too good for him to make it. Also I don't get how Pouliot is getting an invite over many other d-mans. If draft status plays anything into it, then it's most certainly un-fair. Pulock has been good but not great enough to even warrant an invite a la Percy.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Interactif

Pulock is hurt, no doubt it and the lock out played into the decision. The only decision I don't like is Murphy, I knew Spott would take him. Almost as bad as Quinn taking Mccabe to the Olympics. Homer, and I do like Quinn and Spott. Not sure coach's with team loyalties should pick teams. Leave that to GM's.

Interactif is online now   Reply With Quote