HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Good/Great players you DON'T want traded to your team

Old
12-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Noob616

vCash: 500
I guess you can say pretty much any goalie outside of Quick I wouldn't want on the Habs, it wouldn't make sense to be paying Price and another star goalie big money. As far as skaters go, probably Chara would be the biggest one. Lecavalier as well. Outside of that there's probably not too many. Also, have to add that Steven Stamkos >>>>>>>>>>> "Defensive system".

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:10 PM
SERE 24
LGR

There are kind of a lot of very good players that I, initially, wouldn't want on the Rangers. I'd get over it and embrace them, especially if they helped us win games, but I would be less than enthusiastic at the news of their acquisitions. Examples:

Heatley
Souray
Pronger
Briere
Connolly
Sedins
Hamhuis
Plekanec
Gionta
Umberger
Doan
Streit

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:03 AM
WTFetus

at people calling Heatley a terrible person with a bad attitude.
He was nothing but a great teammate in San Jose, and I've heard nothing but great things from Minnesota.
For all the bitter Edmonton fans, he had a NTC for a reason. It's not his fault that the GM is an idiot for making the trade public, and trying to trade him to a team not on his list.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Every great goalie not named Lundqvist. It would be awkward having an elite backup

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 04:42 AM
Clyde Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post

At least one person gets it.

Gotta love hfboards. All last season Blues fans heard how the team was nothing but a product of the system. I say I don't want players that won't fit that system, (ya know, the one responsible for winning the Central, placing second in the West, nearly setting a modern era defensive record, and taking us to our first playoff series victory in a decade) and everyone thinks I'm overrating the importance of said system.

Even Ovechkin? At his salary? With his lack of defensive effort? On the Blues? Gotta strongly disagree.

You do realize Stamkos plays on the Lightning, a team who employs a 1-3-1 system that is one of the most defensively conservative systems in the league. Stamkos is far from a "one dimensional,me-first player. I'm guessing Stamkos never bought into the defensive system which the Lightning played that got them to the ECF in 2011?

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 12-12-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: quote edit
Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:53 AM
FissionFire

Jay Bouwmeester - He'd cost far more than he's worth. Probably have to give up #1 D value to get a guy who's really more suited to be a #2.

Dan Boyle - Cost too much for a guy who is ready to go into a steep decline any day now.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:30 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

For the Pens, pretty much any contract-heavy player would cripple us due to already having 18 mil tied up in two players. Even more when you throw Martin's absurd contract and MAF's contract into the mix.

Outside of the money issue though, I really wouldn't want any negative attitude on the team. No Semin. No Radulov. No Ovie. Especially wouldn't want them messing with Malkin's head.

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:39 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
I guess you can say pretty much any goalie outside of Quick I wouldn't want on the Habs, it wouldn't make sense to be paying Price and another star goalie big money. As far as skaters go, probably Chara would be the biggest one. Lecavalier as well. Outside of that there's probably not too many. Also, have to add that Steven Stamkos >>>>>>>>>>> "Defensive system".
How did the Lightning do in the playoffs last season?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Not getting the Heatley hate at all.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:46 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Donovan View Post
You do realize Stamkos plays on the Lightning, a team who employs a 1-3-1 system that is one of the most defensively conservative systems in the league. Stamkos is far from a "one dimensional,me-first player. I'm guessing Stamkos never bought into the defensive system which the Lightning played that got them to the ECF in 2011?
Except if Stamkos is the first "1" in a 1-3-1 he isn't exactly playing defense, now is he? I honestly don't know which spot he played.

But it is very ironic that depsite putting it in HUGE LETTERS you missed the point about not getting hung-up on names, and realizing that I am using examples to point out a specific type of player.

When a player is over a PPG for their career, and is STILL a negative in the +/- column, it does speak a bit to their defensive play. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that "+/-" is the be-all-end-all measure of defensive play, but it can be an useful indicator.

Also, Stamkos scored ~74% of his points at ES, so it isn't like he is racking up his points on the PP and not affecting his +/-.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:52 PM
ProfessorMcFatty

I get all of the Heatley hate, but I think it's a bit much.

He's overpaid, but that contract ends soon. His attitude has been a problem in the past, but with the Wild he's been great (as far as I know), and his stats are still respectable. The guy led the Wild in points last season with almost no talent at his side (because of injuries). I see no reason he couldn't return to 30+ goals.

I guess I'm okay with nobody else wanting him. He's working out nicely for us.

ProfessorMcFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:56 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

I would not want to pay ovechkin his salary, nor dish out the ransom it would take to acquire him.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:05 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Hilarious thread. ya, ok, you wouldn't take Stamkos. lol.
No. I wouldn't.

The Blues are built on depth and defense.

Stamkos isn't great defensively.

The amount of assets the Blues would have to give up to get Stamkos would kill any realistic chance the Blues have at winning the Cup.

Perhaps if you lived through Blues history, and have seen your team go out and try to get the "missing piece" only to be killed due to lack of depth you wouldn't be seduced by star players. Trading Courtnall, Momesso, Dirk, and Ronning for Butcher and Quinn didn't work. Trading Brind'Amour and Quinn for Baron and Sutter didn't work either. I would love for the Blues to continue to build the depth necessary to compete in the post-season.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Noob616

Quote:
How did the Lightning do in the playoffs last season?
Oh boy.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:42 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Basically the entire roster of Vancouver Canuck forwards, specifically Burrows, Kesler, and the Sedins.

Also Patrick Kane and Patrick Marleau.
Any team would be lucky to have Kesler, your Canuck hate is affecting your decision too much, decent contract and great defensively.

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:08 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
Oh boy.
Oh boy is right!!

The defensive system was well represented in the playoffs, not only by the Blues. Where was Stamkos? On the golf course. I guess "defensive system" > Stamkos.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:10 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Any team would be lucky to have Kesler, your Canuck hate is affecting your decision too much, decent contract and great defensively.
Agreed. But I wouldn't take Kesler either...

Old
12-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
He absolutely would help. I never said he wouldn't help. I just don't like him which is why I don't want him.

I'd rather win by beating him than win with him.

I've never once denied the obvious talent that Ryan Kesler has.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:06 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
He absolutely would help. I never said he wouldn't help. I just don't like him which is why I don't want him.

I'd rather win by beating him than win with him.

I've never once denied the obvious talent that Ryan Kesler has.
I love how this thread is supposed to be about good to great players you don't want traded to your team, and most people in it as posting, "But so and so is a great player! Your an idiot for not wanting them!"

This is completely disregarding that it is a.) an opinion, and b.) said player would wouldn't just be magically joining your team, they would be acquired through a trade of assets.

Your choice of Kesler is a perfect example of this. Due to a few various reasons, Kesler rubs most of the St. Louis fan base the wrong way. For these personal reasons, most St. Louis fans would echo your sentiment in not wanting Kesler despite the fact that not only is he a very good player, but he would fit the team's playing style.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:32 PM
TOGuy14

Patrick Marleau - never liked him as a player, or his personality, no matter how many points he puts up or goals he scores

PK Subban - Plays like a coward, and I hate it, would never want him on my team.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 04:37 PM
tuckrr

Zherdev

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:25 PM
LSnow

Quote:
I love how this thread is supposed to be about good to great players you don't want traded to your team, and most people in it as posting, "But so and so is a great player! Your an idiot for not wanting them!"

This is completely disregarding that it is a.) an opinion, and b.) said player would wouldn't just be magically joining your team, they would be acquired through a trade of assets.

Your choice of Kesler is a perfect example of this. Due to a few various reasons, Kesler rubs most of the St. Louis fan base the wrong way. For these personal reasons, most St. Louis fans would echo your sentiment in not wanting Kesler despite the fact that not only is he a very good player, but he would fit the team's playing style.
When Backes meets Stamkos, its Backes who is trying to defend in his own zone, which is the reason its bewildering you woulnd want actual offensive stars in Blues. Ask Wings if they value puck possession.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:32 PM
sully1410

Tim Thomas...AINEC. The guys is a selfish, me-first, poor sport kind of player. Not denying that he's good..,I just think he's a POS to be honest.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 06:35 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
Quote:
sully1410 Tim Thomas...AINEC. The guys is a selfish, me-first, poor sport kind of player. Not denying that he's good..,I just think he's a POS to be honest.
What? His attitude towards his political views is questionable but this is the same guy who was harrassed night in and night out by Luongo and still kept focus for the sake of his team and helped them achieve a cup. I understand and respect that this is your own opinion but at the same time, your opinion has me confused.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 07:43 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
When Backes meets Stamkos, its Backes who is trying to defend in his own zone, which is the reason its bewildering you woulnd want actual offensive stars in Blues. Ask Wings if they value puck possession.
What works for one team doesn't always work for another.

That is what I've been trying to get at.

Stamkos is a hell of a player. If I'm starting a team from scratch, I'll take Stamkos everyday and twice on Sundays.

BUT, dropping one puck-possesion guy into a team full of defensive, opportunistic, physical players isn't necessarily going to work.

A team built around puck-possesion will have success. So will a team built around solid defense and opportunistic offense. So will a risk taking offensive team. As long as these teams are built that way. But when three players are playing one system, three other players are playing a completely different system, and the rest are all just out there looking out for themselves, the team tends not to have success.

I think a player that can contribute offense at a significantly greater rate than any current Blues player AND whose playing style matches the system the Blues already play would be a much better target/acquisition/choice to add to the roster than an even better offensive player who doesn't. Give me Toews, or Kopitar, or someone along those lines. I'll take the ~80 point player who plays the style of the team, and who will have a synergistic effect on the roster over the ~100 point player who plays outside the system.