HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBA & Re-alignment: Lockout in Effect. Thanks Gary/Donald! PART II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
  #976
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,105
vCash: 500
Stole this from the main boards.

Thanks Alycat.


Ugene Malkin is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 09:24 PM
  #977
hctopcheds11
Registered User
 
hctopcheds11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Stole this from the main boards.

Thanks Alycat.

That's fairly interesting. He seems confident in his story...

hctopcheds11 is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 09:28 PM
  #978
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,405
vCash: 500
As much as I refuse to believe this story it simultaneously boggles my mind that such a respected guy who's broken big news before would get on tv and say something he didn't totally believe and trust.

Fordy is online now  
Old
12-03-2012, 09:33 PM
  #979
PensFanSince1989
Registered User
 
PensFanSince1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Pass the dutchie on the left hand side...
I've always felt this was probably Bettman's last act as Commish, especially since it's gone on this long. Rightly or wrongly, I do believe he'll fall on the sword, placating fans. For the owners, it would seemingly be a perfect exit scenerio to try to manage the blowback they'd get from this lockout from Fans. Fans will be more than willing to blame Bettman for the lockout. And if this is true, then it makes even more sense as the players and actual owners will look like heroes.

It's hopeful thinking sure (though I actually support Bettman's reign, for the most part -- though he has made some mistakes, that's for sure)

PensFanSince1989 is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 09:38 PM
  #980
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
I've always felt this was probably Bettman's last act as Commish, especially since it's gone on this long. Rightly or wrongly, I do believe he'll fall on the sword, placating fans. For the owners, it would seemingly be a perfect exit scenerio to try to manage the blowback they'd get from this lockout from Fans. Fans will be more than willing to blame Bettman for the lockout. And if this is true, then it makes even more sense as the players and actual owners will look like heroes.

It's hopeful thinking sure (though I actually support Bettman's reign, for the most part -- though he has made some mistakes, that's for sure)
I hope he doesn't fall on the sword, as much as I don't think he has done enough with other areas of the game, the game has thrived during his tenure.

Ugene Malkin is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 09:43 PM
  #981
PensFanSince1989
Registered User
 
PensFanSince1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
I hope he doesn't fall on the sword, as much as I don't think he has done enough with other areas of the game, the game has thrived during his tenure.
I think Daly will probably take over. He's been groomed for some time.

PensFanSince1989 is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 09:44 PM
  #982
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
I've always felt this was probably Bettman's last act as Commish, especially since it's gone on this long. Rightly or wrongly, I do believe he'll fall on the sword, placating fans. For the owners, it would seemingly be a perfect exit scenerio to try to manage the blowback they'd get from this lockout from Fans. Fans will be more than willing to blame Bettman for the lockout. And if this is true, then it makes even more sense as the players and actual owners will look like heroes.

It's hopeful thinking sure (though I actually support Bettman's reign, for the most part -- though he has made some mistakes, that's for sure)
I can't imagine any scenario where Bettman resigns, short of being caught with a few hookers clipping his toenails in a hot tub of Pepto Bismol.

He will be around to lockout the players once again when the new CBA becomes the old CBA.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 09:51 PM
  #983
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,448
vCash: 500
OK so he's a respected sports reporter for the Patriots (my mistake on the social media front -- assumed someone got it from a sports blog or twitter)... how then does he have the scoop on an almost-done agreement in the NHL, when no one has been meeting AFAWK, very reliable sources at TSN are saying almost the opposite thing (that this meeting tomorrow is a last ditch effort)? Unless someone can connect him to Jacobs / Jacobs talking to him, I don't see how his comment merits much attention.

Even if Jacobs did float some information to him it could've just been positive spin / conjecture on Jacobs' part to calm the bad sentiment against him, etc.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 10:00 PM
  #984
Superstar Shane
Registered User
 
Superstar Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
adater ‏@adater
Bill Daly denying @wbzsports on-air story saying NHL-players could announce a deal tomorrow or Wed. Steve Burton a good reporter though
And oddly enough...

Quote:
adater ‏@adater
@wbzsports trending in Canada

Methinks CV hit that nail on the head.

Superstar Shane is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 10:02 PM
  #985
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
OK so he's a respected sports reporter for the Patriots (my mistake on the social media front -- assumed someone got it from a sports blog or twitter)... how then does he have the scoop on an almost-done agreement in the NHL, when no one has been meeting AFAWK, very reliable sources at TSN are saying almost the opposite thing (that this meeting tomorrow is a last ditch effort)? Unless someone can connect him to Jacobs / Jacobs talking to him, I don't see how his comment merits much attention.

Even if Jacobs did float some information to him it could've just been positive spin / conjecture on Jacobs' part to calm the bad sentiment against him, etc.
There were reports the lockout was about to end last time in Feb.

The one thing I'm sure of right now: This news will spread like a hungry virus, then if it is wrong, fans are going to lose it on the owners and players when they announce after Wed they "can't figure things out".

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 10:17 PM
  #986
KaylaJ
Tungsten!
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 14,173
vCash: 500
According to the story Lucic didn't even seem to know about it. That seems slightly strange:



“You know if your sources are correct obviously it’s great news,” says Lucic. “It’s great for the fans I think especially. I know they’ve been probably going through the most heartache than anyone.”

Lucic says he was optimistic that the season would be salvaged and that played a big role in his decision not to go to Europe. He admits that it will take him a little longer to get into shape than those who are playing right now.


linky


Obviously not saying Lucic would be the first to know, but wouldn't the players be voting on this sort of thing? Shouldn't they be up to date if the lockout will supposedly end in a few days?

KaylaJ is online now  
Old
12-03-2012, 10:28 PM
  #987
PensFanSince1989
Registered User
 
PensFanSince1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
According to the story Lucic didn't even seem to know about it. That seems slightly strange:



“You know if your sources are correct obviously it’s great news,” says Lucic. “It’s great for the fans I think especially. I know they’ve been probably going through the most heartache than anyone.”

Lucic says he was optimistic that the season would be salvaged and that played a big role in his decision not to go to Europe. He admits that it will take him a little longer to get into shape than those who are playing right now.


linky



Obviously not saying Lucic would be the first to know, but wouldn't the players be voting on this sort of thing? Shouldn't they be up to date if the lockout will supposedly end in a few days?
Players and Owners would still need to vote. The report simply said the higher ups made significant progress to salvage the season, with a deal possibly announced tomorrow or Wednesday.

I don't see why this Burton guy would just make this up or report it if he wasn't confident in his source. He isn't some new guy. The story is now the top story at WBZ, CBS Boston and I've read Burton also broke the story about Kessel having Cancer and Thomas taking the year off, so even though he focuses on the Patriots, he does seem to have some inside connections with the Bruins.

PensFanSince1989 is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 10:31 PM
  #988
KaylaJ
Tungsten!
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 14,173
vCash: 500
I'm not saying he made it up, but if there was quite a bit of progress made, when are the players figuring it out esp considering they're the ones voting on this?

KaylaJ is online now  
Old
12-03-2012, 10:36 PM
  #989
PensFanSince1989
Registered User
 
PensFanSince1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
I'm not saying he made it up, but if there was quite a bit of progress made, when are the players figuring it out esp considering they're the ones voting on this?
If the progress was just made today, I don't think it's really that much of a stretch to think that not everyone of them would know yet. (and I think you can even assume that, especially if the progress was made in closed doors meetings). Further, ones that are in the know I would think have been told to keep it quiet. If they have come to a deal, I do think they will want to wait until after the meeting tomorrow to announce it. It will look really good, P.R. wise.

PensFanSince1989 is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 10:44 PM
  #990
KaylaJ
Tungsten!
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 14,173
vCash: 500
Maybe I'm just being pessimistic cause we've seen people get their hopes up over nothing, but considering how updated they supposedly are, it seems even someone like Lucic would know what happened today esp if it is leaking through the media and he's gonna have to vote on this as soon as tomorrow.

KaylaJ is online now  
Old
12-03-2012, 11:30 PM
  #991
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve
 
HuskerTornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 12,284
vCash: 500
If it is true, Daly and everyone else asked about it will deny it.

Of course, if it isn't true, they'll do the same.

So we wait. And wait.

HuskerTornado is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 02:06 PM
  #992
WickedWrister
Registered User
 
WickedWrister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,766
vCash: 500
I'll feel hopeful when I hear it coming from the likes of Mckenzie, Dreger, etc...

Some news should be coming out soon though. I think the meeting was supposed to start at 2.

WickedWrister is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 02:11 PM
  #993
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,341
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
With the meetings today, I think we should just start a new thread now.

ColePens is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.