HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBA & Re-alignment: Lockout in Effect. Thanks Gary/Donald! PART II

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

vCash: 500
Stole this from the main boards.

Thanks Alycat.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:24 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Stole this from the main boards.

Thanks Alycat.

That's fairly interesting. He seems confident in his story...

Old
12-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

As much as I refuse to believe this story it simultaneously boggles my mind that such a respected guy who's broken big news before would get on tv and say something he didn't totally believe and trust.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:33 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Pass the dutchie on the left hand side...
I've always felt this was probably Bettman's last act as Commish, especially since it's gone on this long. Rightly or wrongly, I do believe he'll fall on the sword, placating fans. For the owners, it would seemingly be a perfect exit scenerio to try to manage the blowback they'd get from this lockout from Fans. Fans will be more than willing to blame Bettman for the lockout. And if this is true, then it makes even more sense as the players and actual owners will look like heroes.

It's hopeful thinking sure (though I actually support Bettman's reign, for the most part -- though he has made some mistakes, that's for sure)

Old
12-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
I've always felt this was probably Bettman's last act as Commish, especially since it's gone on this long. Rightly or wrongly, I do believe he'll fall on the sword, placating fans. For the owners, it would seemingly be a perfect exit scenerio to try to manage the blowback they'd get from this lockout from Fans. Fans will be more than willing to blame Bettman for the lockout. And if this is true, then it makes even more sense as the players and actual owners will look like heroes.

It's hopeful thinking sure (though I actually support Bettman's reign, for the most part -- though he has made some mistakes, that's for sure)
I hope he doesn't fall on the sword, as much as I don't think he has done enough with other areas of the game, the game has thrived during his tenure.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:43 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
I hope he doesn't fall on the sword, as much as I don't think he has done enough with other areas of the game, the game has thrived during his tenure.
I think Daly will probably take over. He's been groomed for some time.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post

I can't imagine any scenario where Bettman resigns, short of being caught with a few hookers clipping his toenails in a hot tub of Pepto Bismol.

He will be around to lockout the players once again when the new CBA becomes the old CBA.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

OK so he's a respected sports reporter for the Patriots (my mistake on the social media front -- assumed someone got it from a sports blog or twitter)... how then does he have the scoop on an almost-done agreement in the NHL, when no one has been meeting AFAWK, very reliable sources at TSN are saying almost the opposite thing (that this meeting tomorrow is a last ditch effort)? Unless someone can connect him to Jacobs / Jacobs talking to him, I don't see how his comment merits much attention.

Even if Jacobs did float some information to him it could've just been positive spin / conjecture on Jacobs' part to calm the bad sentiment against him, etc.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Superstar Shane

Quote:
adater ‏@adater
Bill Daly denying @wbzsports on-air story saying NHL-players could announce a deal tomorrow or Wed. Steve Burton a good reporter though
And oddly enough...

Quote:
adater ‏@adater
@wbzsports trending in Canada

Methinks CV hit that nail on the head.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
OK so he's a respected sports reporter for the Patriots (my mistake on the social media front -- assumed someone got it from a sports blog or twitter)... how then does he have the scoop on an almost-done agreement in the NHL, when no one has been meeting AFAWK, very reliable sources at TSN are saying almost the opposite thing (that this meeting tomorrow is a last ditch effort)? Unless someone can connect him to Jacobs / Jacobs talking to him, I don't see how his comment merits much attention.

Even if Jacobs did float some information to him it could've just been positive spin / conjecture on Jacobs' part to calm the bad sentiment against him, etc.
There were reports the lockout was about to end last time in Feb.

The one thing I'm sure of right now: This news will spread like a hungry virus, then if it is wrong, fans are going to lose it on the owners and players when they announce after Wed they "can't figure things out".

Old
12-03-2012, 10:17 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

According to the story Lucic didn't even seem to know about it. That seems slightly strange:

“You know if your sources are correct obviously it’s great news,” says Lucic. “It’s great for the fans I think especially. I know they’ve been probably going through the most heartache than anyone.”

Lucic says he was optimistic that the season would be salvaged and that played a big role in his decision not to go to Europe. He admits that it will take him a little longer to get into shape than those who are playing right now.

linky

Obviously not saying Lucic would be the first to know, but wouldn't the players be voting on this sort of thing? Shouldn't they be up to date if the lockout will supposedly end in a few days?

Old
12-03-2012, 10:28 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
According to the story Lucic didn't even seem to know about it. That seems slightly strange:

“You know if your sources are correct obviously it’s great news,” says Lucic. “It’s great for the fans I think especially. I know they’ve been probably going through the most heartache than anyone.”

Lucic says he was optimistic that the season would be salvaged and that played a big role in his decision not to go to Europe. He admits that it will take him a little longer to get into shape than those who are playing right now.

linky

Obviously not saying Lucic would be the first to know, but wouldn't the players be voting on this sort of thing? Shouldn't they be up to date if the lockout will supposedly end in a few days?
Players and Owners would still need to vote. The report simply said the higher ups made significant progress to salvage the season, with a deal possibly announced tomorrow or Wednesday.

I don't see why this Burton guy would just make this up or report it if he wasn't confident in his source. He isn't some new guy. The story is now the top story at WBZ, CBS Boston and I've read Burton also broke the story about Kessel having Cancer and Thomas taking the year off, so even though he focuses on the Patriots, he does seem to have some inside connections with the Bruins.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:31 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

I'm not saying he made it up, but if there was quite a bit of progress made, when are the players figuring it out esp considering they're the ones voting on this?

Old
12-03-2012, 10:36 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
I'm not saying he made it up, but if there was quite a bit of progress made, when are the players figuring it out esp considering they're the ones voting on this?
If the progress was just made today, I don't think it's really that much of a stretch to think that not everyone of them would know yet. (and I think you can even assume that, especially if the progress was made in closed doors meetings). Further, ones that are in the know I would think have been told to keep it quiet. If they have come to a deal, I do think they will want to wait until after the meeting tomorrow to announce it. It will look really good, P.R. wise.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:44 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic cause we've seen people get their hopes up over nothing, but considering how updated they supposedly are, it seems even someone like Lucic would know what happened today esp if it is leaking through the media and he's gonna have to vote on this as soon as tomorrow.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:30 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

If it is true, Daly and everyone else asked about it will deny it.

Of course, if it isn't true, they'll do the same.

So we wait. And wait.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:06 PM
WickedWrister

I'll feel hopeful when I hear it coming from the likes of Mckenzie, Dreger, etc...

Some news should be coming out soon though. I think the meeting was supposed to start at 2.

Old
12-04-2012, 02:11 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
With the meetings today, I think we should just start a new thread now.

Closed Thread